Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #46
Visian OP
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Ian, it's Chet. Idea here, how about a game of tag? Pick a group of industry guys willing to report in for points? Every time an ADV Rider checks in they receive X # of points. I'd also add bonus points for completing ADV or dirt bike type training courses.
Hey Chet - good to hear from you and thanks for the help out in WA last year.

That's a good idea, and I'll work that in.

Thanks for offering to help out, too. I will get with you via e-mail about that.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #47
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
Qualifying levels for prizes

Much more math required here, but a great idea that came from this discussion is to have tiers where you may not win the bike, but you get a damn good chance each month to win the aftermarket bling of your choice.

XXXX points required to compete for the bike, value up to $22k in bike/accessory combo (I messed up here, I meant you need to get to a certain level to have a prayer of winning the bike)

XXX - to get a monthly chance to win a $400 prize of your choice

XX - to get a monthly chance to win a $250 prize of your choice

Once you hit the level, you're in for subsequent months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
To me this is the only flaw with the concept.

To win you need to get points. To get points you need to participate in various non riding activities that drive revenue to the organizer.
Point of order, none of the non-riding (or riding, for that matter) activities drive revenue to the organizer, want to make that really clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
I believe that grand prizes should be awarded either on a strictly judged motorcycle competition or by chance to all participants. There can be tiers based on participation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
I agree.

The first step to mount is the $100 entry fee and how the return on that investment is realized or not for all riders. If say only the top 50 point achievers of the 400 are awarded, then that $100 for the remaining 350 is better spent on their own tangible returns: fuel, tires, break pads and so forth. Also, the lower tier prizes of the 50 point winners, should be above the entry fee.

If the entry fee, on the other hand is like a lottery or raffle ticket with some very good odds, then it's an easier entry level step to mount. Also include a minimum number of activity points (saddle and online) as part of the general pool entry requirement. It benefits both limited resource (time and funds) participants and the vendors / industry.

I am going to try and rewrite a little more clearly what I posted and quoted above.

1) anyone who enters can win the bike, if you score enough points.

2) If you score enough points to reach an easy hurdle, you are in a monthly drawing for any part or accessory worth $250. If the points are scored in the first month, you get 8 chances to win a $250 part or accessory.

3) If you score enough points to reach a slightly higher hurdle, you are not only in the $250 drawings, you're in a smaller drawing for the $400 part or accessory. You can get up to 8 chances to win this.

4) The highest point score wins their choice of ADVbike and accessories, up to $22k

Are we on the same page here?

Quote:
Further, it may on the legal side, change the event nature from just being a general lottery /raffle into an entity that would not fall under state laws and limitations. Don't know, but just adding it to the mix.
For insurance purposes this can't be a lottery. In order to get insurance, this needs to be a contest for points. (and it can't include Canada or Mexico at this point in time, dammit )

Think Ironbutt.

Quote:
As for a top single prize, another option is two top prizes of say $15K / $5K and a points plaque with the larger going to the general pool and the other for top earned points. Again, structured so its still not a run away for a retired, no kids, etc participant.
Good idea. It really wouldn't take much sponsorship to make that possible. It could be done without sponsorship, but the most expensive ADV bike is $22k and adding $5k to that would mean I'd need more than 400 riders.

A lot of thought has gone into keeping this from being a runaway.

In all the events I've helped to put on, the percentage of people going for the big prize is about 10-15%. The rest are in it to have a great time, and I thought by sweetening the pot with additional prizes, it would be worth $100. If this achieves critical mass, and I can get vendors to support it, the S&H Green Stamps idea will make life even sweeter.

The winner of the big prize will most definitely be doing some big rides. And this is where the heavy proof is going to come in.

The main goal right now is to make this fun, doable by many, and enjoyed by millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
... eliminates incentives to cheat by either the organizers (so bubby buddy wins) or the contestants.
With 400 riders, I need six people to volunteer as scorekeepers, who will also serve as judges. Each will get $1,000 for their time.

Any takers? I am trying to decide whether or not I can do this in 2014... and I only have one scorekeeper lined up.

Of course, we could always turn the judging over to the community... let the raking over the coals begin!

Visian screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 07:17 AM
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #48
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 569
Question

Quote:

With 400 riders, I need six people to volunteer as scorekeepers, who will also serve as judges. Each will get $1,000 for their time.

Any takers? I am trying to decide whether or not I can do this in 2014... and I only have one scorekeeper lined up.

Of course, we could always turn the judging over to the community... let the raking over the coals begin!
Could you please clarify the role of the judges?
From what I've read it's just keeping electronic tabs on the riders you're assigned and updating their points weekly or so.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #49
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
I am going to try and rewrite a little more clearly what I posted and quoted above.

2) If you score enough points to reach an easy hurdle, you are in a monthly drawing for any part or accessory worth $250. If the points are scored in the first month, you get 8 chances to win a $250 part or accessory.

3) If you score enough points to reach a slightly higher hurdle, you are not only in the $250 drawings, you're in a smaller drawing for the $400 part or accessory. You can get up to 8 chances to win this.

4) The highest point score wins their choice of ADVbike and accessories, up to $22k

Yep. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #50
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
Could you please clarify the role of the judges?
From what I've read it's just keeping electronic tabs on the riders you're assigned and updating their points weekly or so.
The bulk of the Scorekeepers' work is monitoring social media feeds, forum posts, and maintaining each rider's current score.

As far as judging, the job involves having a good nose for BS. If something's not passing the sniff test, it gets further examined by experts who are in-the-know (someone other than the judges).
Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #51
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 455
Quote:

As a restauranteur who runs contests monthly the challenge is making the contest winnable by anyone Who tries! We found the same servers would win the contests over and over and therefore their co-workers would lose interest in the game.

This seems to be the same scenario the stipulations above would result in happening. How many of us want to ride all the time but in reality only get to one or two events a year?

There is always somebody out there it seems going to them all (or a lot more than me!) I would gladly throw down $100 to the cause if I felt I had a chance of winning in the end, albeit how small. The criteria above makes me feel right off the bat that I wouldn't have a chance.

Some of the thing we do to encourage competition are, most improved sales percentage, most variety of sales tactics, hot potato (who has the last sale of the shift/day) none of these really apply here, but you get the idea.

I think you need to make it winnable by anyone who enters and then add balls to the lottery by giving rewards for attendance or completion of events/ challenges?

At any rate count me in for the grand experiment. It is always fun to imagine how I would spend that $22K!

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #52
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Good idea. It really wouldn't take much sponsorship to make that possible. It could be done without sponsorship, but the most expensive ADV bike is $22k and adding $5k to that would mean I'd need more than 400 riders.
I know that to give away more would mean either sponsorships or a larger contestant pool. What I was thinking was, why so much for the top prize and to only one winner? Kind of like the disparity in state lottery payouts where an all numbers winning ticket, takes all and the next closest sees a dramatic drop in prize value. Sticking with your allotted $22K top prize, the idea is to divide it into a three place podium: first place is $15k for a bike, second place is $5k and third $2K for accessories, trips, and so forth. This gives the 40 to 60 top competitors a better target spread, reduces some tension if points are close, and generates more smiles all around. In subsequent events, a creme de le creme bike could become the standard ultimate top prize as momentum builds and we see sponsorships and/or demand for a larger initial contestant pool manifest.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
The main goal right now is to make this fun, doable by many, and enjoyed by millions.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #53
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Hey Chet - good to hear from you and thanks for the help out in WA last year.

That's a good idea, and I'll work that in.

Thanks for offering to help out, too. I will get with you via e-mail about that.
PM sent with current email. Lets make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #54
Jetsen55
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm inn

I agree, sounds like fun win or loose it really doesn't matter it's all about the adventure. And life is about the exploration, if you loose that you might as well roll up the sidewalk cause the party's over.
Jetsen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #55
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 569
I should have enough extra time to throw to being a score keeper. I'm in if you need me.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.

riverflow screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 10:30 PM
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #56
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
I should have enough extra time to throw to being a score keeper. I'm in if you need me.
Thanks, Tyler... that is much appreciated.

But, in spite of the really positive feedback (and great ideas) I've received here, I think I'm going to work on developing the back-end of this idea a little further... and launch it next year.

I might try a beta for fun later this year... maybe in the summer.

So... The GS Giant and advRAid are going to happen... and maybe I'll see you guys there.

I'll keep this discussion going as much as possible... thanks very much, everyone, for taking time to kick around this idea.

Ian