ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
ADVGirlCharlotte OP
Scooter Trash
 
ADVGirlCharlotte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Oddometer: 86
Thumb Hey Charlotte! Who wants to ride this weekend?

I've rode street bikes for over 20 years, and spent a lot of time in the dirt over the years. Currently I'm riding a Tiger 800XC, logged a couple thousand miles on it on the pavement. The bike is all set up, right down to the TKC's, and it's ready to throw some dirt.

The only problem is I don't have any riding buddies, and I dont want to venture out alone. For a few reasons.

1. Not sure where to go.... this girl needs help finding dirt roads!
2. Riding is always much more fun with a buddy, at least for me :))

So, if you're in the Charlotte NC area and want to ride this Saturday or Sunday...let me know.

I am really interested in finding dirt, but I'd be happy with anything....
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,069
Plenty of dirt roads ....................... but you have to go north to the Morganton/Lenoir area at aminimum.


Flat-track M/C racing this weekend at Harris Speedway in Rutherfordton NC, a few of us are going.

dlrides screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:08 PM
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 22,888
What side of Charlotte?

Here's a map that's not all inclusive by any means but it'll point you in the right direction for gravel in Northern York County. http://goo.gl/maps/c1FZz

You can find more little bits and pieces like that around the area but dlrides nailed it, you really need to go up around the Wilson Creek and Linville Gorges for the closest place to link miles and miles of gravel together.

Doubt I'll be getting out for much of a ride this week.......sorry.
__________________

knybanjo screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 10:16 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Plenty of dirt roads ....................... but you have to go north to the Morganton/Lenoir area at aminimum.


Flat-track M/C racing this weekend at Harris Speedway in Rutherfordton NC, a few of us are going.
Looks like they cancelled the flat track due to weather..... http://www.harrisspeedway.com/hms/
__________________
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Looks like they cancelled the flat track due to weather..... http://www.harrisspeedway.com/hms/
Yep ............. cancelled. I was looking forward to going.

dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
ADVGirlCharlotte OP
Scooter Trash
 
ADVGirlCharlotte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Oddometer: 86
A buddy came through :)
We've decided to head up to Wilson Creek Trading Post in

Collettsville, NC .
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGirlCharlotte View Post
A buddy came through :)
We've decided to head up to Wilson Creek Trading Post in

Collettsville, NC .


Have fun!

(and bundle up and watch out for ice, esp in shady areas)
__________________
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!
 
SidewinderX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,115
Wish I could join ya.... I need to ride more and work less.....


Have fun and be careful.
__________________
Daniel
What would you attempt to do in life if you knew that you could not fail?
SidewinderX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
ADVGirlCharlotte OP
Scooter Trash
 
ADVGirlCharlotte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
Wish I could join ya.... I need to ride more and work less.....


Have fun and be careful.
Join us if you change your mind...Sunday :)

Keep me in mind too if you want a riding buddy in the future
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
ADVGirlCharlotte OP
Scooter Trash
 
ADVGirlCharlotte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
What side of Charlotte?

Here's a map that's not all inclusive by any means but it'll point you in the right direction for gravel in Northern York County. http://goo.gl/maps/c1FZz

You can find more little bits and pieces like that around the area but dlrides nailed it, you really need to go up around the Wilson Creek and Linville Gorges for the closest place to link miles and miles of gravel together.

Doubt I'll be getting out for much of a ride this week.......sorry.

Thanks for the map!!!
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGirlCharlotte View Post
Thanks for the map!!!
You're welcome, have you stumbled across the Charlotte meet-up thread yet?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522269
__________________
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
augiedog
augie dog
 
augiedog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: carolina foothills
Oddometer: 692
ridin buddies

we have a group of guys and a couple of girl riders that meet the third thursday of every month at hawthorne pizza in charlotte, at the corner hawthorn and 7th st about 6:00. we do several rides most months, street and dirt, mostly fire service with some single track at times.most of us have several bikes and ride locally and up around the linville, blue ridge. and western nc and sc area. we have a website called the charlotte ride and planning group. we would love to have you join up and meet, eat and ride with us. watch the webpage for any activity, there is usually a ride most every weekend. hope to see you soon. here is a group picture from our last months meeting at hawthornes. lots of street and gravel like this and this
__________________
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #13
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR
 
parallaxbill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Middle of the Carolinas.
Oddometer: 162
May I suggest the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge? 46,000 acres with over 100 miles of gravel, sand, hardpack, pine needles and more.. If most of the gates are still open. Deer season is over so some of the gates may be closed to vehicles. Please observe posted speed limits.
My son and I have been riding there and really enjoy it.
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™
 
valvecrusher's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dos Circlos
Oddometer: 1,655
The overnight weather is calling for icy precipitation in the WilsonCreek area..
(also, in the Burke/Caldwell/Alexander/Catawba counties)

If you choose to brave it, please be aware of 'frozen dirt' or water that has frozen up out of the ground with a thin layer of dirt covering..


I hit some ice just around 6ish last night on paved highway, and in general, the Wilson Creek area behaves more like Blowing Rock than Hickory..fyi.



...out this weekend, but perhaps another time..
__________________
Honda NX250??
I prefer to ride, and when i do, it's 'un Equi

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
ADVGirlCharlotte OP
Scooter Trash
 
ADVGirlCharlotte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
The overnight weather is calling for icy precipitation in the WilsonCreek area..
(also, in the Burke/Caldwell/Alexander/Catawba counties)

If you choose to brave it, please be aware of 'frozen dirt' or water that has frozen up out of the ground with a thin layer of dirt covering..


I hit some ice just around 6ish last night on paved highway, and in general, the Wilson Creek area behaves more like Blowing Rock than Hickory..fyi.



...out this weekend, but perhaps another time..

I just read the weather report... tomorrow is out, sadly.

Today was good though :)
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014