Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Oddometer: 19
Rocky Mountain ATV/MC Parts, Tools and DIY Discussion

Welcome to the RockyMountainATV/MC.com Parts, Tools and DIY Thread

Hey, it’s Scott, the DIY Guy, coming at you from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, and I wanted to post a thread about DIY repairs which will obviously involve adventure bike parts and tools cuz whether you like it or not, if you’re an adventure rider, you have to learn to “do it yourself” – and sometimes there’s a fair amount of “MacGyver” in DIYing…

Have you ever asked yourself, “What the heck is a doohickey?” Or have you ever survived your adventure ride with an uncanny bodge? Or is your ride so pimped out with farkles that you roll down the road like Huggy Bear’s Cadillac from Starsky & Hutch? Well then, this is the thread for you, and it’ll be a resource for you and for me when it comes to DIY projects and all the parts, tools and how-to’s that DIYing involves.

Oh yeah, and check out our thread dedicated to ADV gear . There’s a lot of good stuff there as well.

Several of us riders at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC have done a lot of adventure riding and can’t wait to get out on our next adventure. We have learned a lot over the years and hope to share some of our knowledge with you. We are also hoping to learn from you as well. Please use this thread as a medium to ask questions or share the things you have learned about parts, tools and DIY fixes. Check out some of our videos as well on our YouTube channel. We think this thread would be cool for everything DIY like:

• Parts comparisons
  • Specs
  • Installation process
  • Best tools for the job
  • Farkles and bodges
  • Anything at all related to parts, tools or DIY

We know that ADV riding is like an addiction that has no cure! So we know (and have experienced) the same symptoms that you do. Lots of times with DIY projects, “two heads are better than one,” and this thread will accomplish that and more. So just chime in with questions, comments and even your random musings. We’d love to hear from you, and together with all the ADV inmates, we can help you in your DIY projects.

Want to connect personally? You can also send me a PM or an email at scott.oakes@rockymountainatvmc.com. Of course, if you need immediate help with an order, ring us up at 1-800-336-5437 and our customer service reps will take care of you!

BTW, if you’re out on an ADV ride and cruise past one of our showrooms, make it a point to stop by and say hi. Tell them Scott sent you… and if it happens to be in the “Beehive” state, I’ll come over and say “hey.” We’ll take some pix and put them on this thread.

Address and contact info:

1551 American Way
Payson, UT 84651
1 800 336-5437

1459 Rolling Hills Ln
Winchester, KY 40391
1 800 336-5437

RMScott screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 04:17 PM
RMScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Tusk Portable Power and Jump Starter

Hey, what do you guys think about the mini portable power pack/jump-starters that are getting popular? We just picked one up under the Tusk brand, and during the testing phase I discovered that I used it a lot more that I thought I would. On our Battleborn 1000 ride through Nevada, we used it to charge phones and even jump-start a KLR650. Also, I recently returned from Argentina where I had the opportunity to follow the Dakar Rally for the first three stages. I took my little bag of international plug adapters, and unfortunately the one that works for Argentina was missing. Fortunately, I had brought the Tusk mini portable power pack, and I was able to use it to charge my cell phone and the phones of the other gringos traveling with me.

The power pack is great for adventure riding, camping, traveling or even around the house. It comes with everything you see here. It's awesome. Has anyone else tried one yet?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Does anyone hate to clean their air filter?

If you’d like to keep your hands out of solvent and gas, post a reply to this thread with a picture of a bike that needs its air filter cleaned, and you’ll be entered to win one of three No-Toil air filter cleaning kits containing their biodegradable foam filter oil and filter cleaner.

No-Toil Industries was started by guys who hate to clean air filters and invented a new way to clean dirty filters without gas or solvent. They have three products that, when used together, create a filter cleaning system that decreases the hassle factor dramatically.

The No-Toil Filter Oil is plant based and extremely sticky and tacky. The oil is thinned out with alcohol so that it spreads easily over the foam filter element. Once applied, the alcohol evaporates out and the remaining oil is tacked up, ready to ride. They also have non-alcohol-based air filter oil (green bottle) that is non-hazardous and air-shippable. The No-Toil Rim Grease is used to provide extra protection between the air box and filter. The No-Toil Filter Cleaner comes in a powder form and is mixed with warm water to make a solution in either a bucket or sink.

To clean your dirty air filter, just immerse it in the cleaning solution and agitate and/or squeeze the filter repeatedly for about 60 seconds and BAM! – your filter will be totally clean without the use of solvent or gasoline. To dispose of the dirt and cleaning solution, just wash it down the drain or throw it out into your bushes. Since all No-Toil products are biodegradable and non-toxic, there is no harm to the environment or septic tanks. Some claim you can even clean your dirty filters in your washing machine. Let me know if you'd like to know more about the No-Toil air filter cleaning system.

Official rules here
Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy

Oddometer: 305
Eek tusk portable power

I THINK THIS IS GREAT IDEA! I've never used one though. It might be good for an elecric start only bike like my Husqvarna. I WONDERED IF IT HAD AN 110 plug so I can charge my led lights or an adapter possibly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMScott View Post
Hey, what do you guys think about the mini portable power pack/jump-starters that are getting popular? We just picked one up under the Tusk brand, and during the testing phase I discovered that I used it a lot more that I thought I would. On our Battleborn 1000 ride through Nevada, we used it to charge phones and even jump-start a KLR650. Also, I recently returned from Argentina where I had the opportunity to follow the Dakar Rally for the first three stages. I took my little bag of international plug adapters, and unfortunately the one that works for Argentina was missing. Fortunately, I had brought the Tusk mini portable power pack, and I was able to use it to charge my cell phone and the phones of the other gringos traveling with me.

The power pack is great for adventure riding, camping, traveling or even around the house. It comes with everything you see here. It's awesome. Has anyone else tried one yet?

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy

Oddometer: 305
Eek tusk portable power

I THINK THIS IS GREAT IDEA! I've never used one though. It might be good for an elecric start only bike like my Husqvarna. I WONDERED IF IT HAD AN 110 plug so I can charge my led lights or an adapter possibly?

Quote:

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

110 Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1one View Post
Sorry, it doesn't have a 110 plug, but there are 8 different adapters tips that will fit most adapter plugs.

Check out this video about the TUSK PORTABLE POWER & JUMP STARTER:

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Hey, what do you guys think about the mini portable power pack/jump-starters that are getting popular? We just picked one up under the Tusk brand, and during the testing phase I discovered that I used it a lot more that I thought I would.
Will this work with the lead coming off the battery with an SAE connection that I use a battery tender on the bike, so I wouldn't have to take the seat off in the need of a jump start? Or would this melt the wires or the battery tender lead if I figured out a way to connect it?
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

SAE Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Will this work with the lead coming off the battery with an SAE connection that I use a battery tender on the bike, so I wouldn't have to take the seat off in the need of a jump start? Or would this melt the wires or the battery tender lead if I figured out a way to connect it?
Mastery, I don't believe that the SAE connectors will be compatible with the Tusk Portable Power/Jump starter alligator clip connector (from the look of it). It seems different to me. Furthermore, the manufacture never specified it for this type of use. Regarding the "melting of the wires", Battery Tender corporate office tech line said: "No, it'll blow the fuse"...
Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
If you’d like to keep your hands out of solvent and gas, post a reply to this thread with a picture of a bike that needs its air filter cleaned, and you’ll be entered to win one of three No-Toil air filter cleaning kits containing their biodegradable foam filter oil and filter cleaner.
She can always use some air filter cleaning after a good ride... 2006 KTM 450EXC

falcn screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 10:16 AM
falcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
mangeldbug
YSRacer

Oddometer: 8
My bike tends to take a lot of mud baths... I'd love to win a air filter cleaning kit!!

Here is my bike, 2001 XT225

1987 Yamaha YSR 50 #116 Racebike
Gone: '81 Honda CB400T, '98 Kawi KLR250
mangeldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
KTMcFly
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Laugh New Dad and his new (used) KTM 400 could use some free stuff!

I just brought my bike home, which is why I do not have any cool pictures yet. However, I am a new rider and a new Dad. I have limited time and even more limited funds. I can't wait to hit the trails in the spring! but My bike needs a lot of TLC and maintenance. Free parts would go a long way. Thanks!!!
Attached Images

KTMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
falcn
Squidless Soul

speaking of DIY

Built up my new rear cush drive hub wheel for my 450EXC using the Tusk torque wrench and the Tusk Motorcycle Wheel Balancing and Truing Stand I got from Rocky Mountain ATV.

This is the second wheel I built using these tools.

The first was rebuilding my Elefant 900 front wheel after powder coating the hub.

Elefant front wheel:

KTM 450EXC Cush Hub Wheel (using LC4 Enduro cush hub):

Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Speaking of DIY...

[QUOTE=falcn;26137073]Built up my new rear cush drive hub wheel for my 450EXC using the Tusk torque wrench and the Tusk Motorcycle Wheel Balancing and Truing Stand I got from Rocky Mountain ATV.

This is the second wheel I built using these tools.

The first was rebuilding my Elefant 900 front wheel after powder coating the hub.

Looks great, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:30 AM   #14
falcn
Squidless Soul

Just ordered a Kenda 270 front from your site and got it very quickly and mounted on the KTM front. :)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Lights

We like to test products here at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. Not only do we learn about products firsthand and their quality (or lack thereof), but most importantly, testing products requires that we ride!

When we ride, more often than not, we ride throughout the day and sometimes into the night. After many miles of relying on the low quality of OEM lighting, we’ve eventually outfitted our rides with aftermarket LED lights which have greatly improved our nighttime vision and confidence.

Recently, we demoed the Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED lights, and we were amazed at how such a compact light can flood the night with so much light. We bolted on a set of these high-powered lights, and they looked really cool on our bikes with the sleek, compact black-gloss aluminum housing. On the first night of riding, we switched those puppies on, and we were blown away by the amount of light emitted.

Each light packs 4,300 lumens of natural-color light at 42 watts, and it is the only LED driven at 100%. It did rain a bit on our last ride, but no worries because the Squadron Pro is waterproof, rainproof and submersible (which has happened to some of my buddies). Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee and a limited lifetime warranty! The Squadron Pro only weighs 12 ounces and has an LED life expectancy of 49,930 hours (which is now my new riding goal)!

Has any other inmate out there tried the Squadron Pro yet? What do ya think?

RMScott