Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #16
mattDC5R
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great adventure you boys are setting off on!

Look forward to your updates.
mattDC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
Voodoo Chilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Is it day two yet? Wake up!
Voodoo Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Tyres

Good luck with the big trip fellas, I'll be following your report with some interest. I'm in Thailand now having ridden my Postie Bike from Darwin. Did the Toll barge across to Timor etc; hope that goes better for you than it did for me as far as delays go.
I notice from the pics that all your bikes are sporting knobbies which seem to wear out at an alarming rate on bitumen. With the time window of four to six months to get all the way to the UK I can't see you having too much time for off the beaten track exploring which means you'll be on the black top for about 99% of the time and something like the Michelin Anakees might be kinder on the budget in the long run. I've just completed the Old Elephant Trail between Chiang Mai and Maehonson which is pretty much all clay and bulldust and it was very achievable on road tyres.

As you're on a budget here's a few tips on el-cheapo sleeping in Indonesia. If you have camping gear you can pitch tents behind some of the larger service stations, they usually have a prayer room with attached toilets and washing facilities out the back. I've also slept in a prayer room behind a warung (small resto) out on the road and was offered the prayer room at one of the service stations to sleep in. Be warned however that you have to sleep with the lights on so take a blackout mask.

If you make contact with the Indonesian bikers through the regional forum here on ADV you may be well received and have valuable contacts along the way. I did and the guys were great.

AHASS Honda in Indonesia did all my oil changes and they never charged me for labour just the oil. Not sure how they'll react to a group of BMW bikes but if you're patient and prepared to show them where the sump plug and the filler cap is, tell them how much and the type of oil and then to oversee the work it should be OK. Then smile for the camera because they will want pics, lots of pics.

Love your choice of bike, I have a lovely yellow 2004 F650GS waiting for me in Japan for when I get back.

I named some of the hotels and guesthouses I stayed in along with prices, in my RR "Following The Front Wheel"
No doubt you've already read everything from the Big Fella on his RR.

Even if you only do Indonesia in the time you have, you'll have a blast.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #19
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Good luck boyz...really looking forward to your trip across Asia...\

EDIT: Is that "talley" snapshot some kind of phone app?
Thanks mate. Yes the app is called iSpending, one of the other chaps is in charge of managing all those figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
As you're on a budget here's a few tips on el-cheapo sleeping in Indonesia. If you have camping gear you can pitch tents behind some of the larger service stations, they usually have a prayer room with attached toilets and washing facilities out the back. I've also slept in a prayer room behind a warung (small resto) out on the road and was offered the prayer room at one of the service stations to sleep in. Be warned however that you have to sleep with the lights on so take a blackout mask.
Thanks for the heads up mate. All very valuable information we've taken on board :)

OverlandMotorcycleAdventure.blogspot.com.au
SevenWorldsCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #20
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Nanutarra Roadhouse to Broome (Day 8)

A mix of long straights and sweeping bends has been the set for the last 1187km across North West Australia. We knew that plans would be likely to change but certainly didn’t expect it to start happening this early on – between arranging postage of tyres to cancellation of ferries we planned to ship the bikes on, it’s highlighted that being flexible with plans is the key to us getting anywhere on this trip. All the while the countryside from a bike is quite a special experience and what used to be a long distance has become seemingly easier the further we get!

After skipping our evening meal at Nanutarra Roadhouse because of the exorbitant cost ($6.90 for 1.5l water, no reception, no tap water) we set off north for Karratha, with Port Hedland being our ultimate goal for the days ride. Earlier starts are a lot more tolerable in the heat, and each morning we are getting more efficient with the pack of the bikes ready for departure. Fuel stops are starting to reflect that of an F1 pit stop (almost) with 1 in charge of popping caps whilst the second lifts the pump nozzle and the third is inside with the “Kitty Card” ready to pay. All this to minimize being stationary for too long with no air flow!

Whilst in Karratha we managed a quick catch up with Dan’s workmate Brad for a coffee and arranged some chicken sandwiches within the comforts of the air conditioned shopping centre (all dignity is now lost) before we set course for Hedland where we had lined up accommodation with a friend. Celebrations began over the comms as we pulled into South Hedland as the beers were only moments away, and after a quick drive through we parked up at the Port to watch in awe as the massive cargo ships move in and out at a rapid rate. With some ships weighing in excess of 250 000 tonnes and BHP Billiton alone producing 155 million tonnes of iron ore annually, it’s quite a spectacle. The total value of iron ore moved from the port is in the vicinity of 33 billion annually!

Finally a rest day. After 6 days of travelling we set no alarm had 0 kilometres to reach. We ventured down to Muffin Break for our usual morning coffee to the realisation that today was no rest day at all. If we were going to make our original ferry deadline, we needed the tyres and waterproof bags to arrive today or tomorrow. To our surprise they both arrived at the post office at 2pm, a mere two days after ordering from Perth! So after a relaxing morning it quickly became a day of removing tyres, organising for the new tyres to be fitted and balanced before close of business to allow us to get away the next morning on schedule.

Now having arrived in Broome, we find ourselves in a predicament with a cyclone watch warning issued this afternoon by the Bureau of Meteorology which lies directly across our intended route. This coupled with multiple road closures between here and Darwin means we are at the mercy of the weather… With the new shipping schedule showing cargo acceptance cut of at Feb 26th in Darwin, we have days up our sleeve, but they will start disappearing quickly with such hold ups. At this stage, the plan is to hold station here in Broome until the weather clears, which may be up to 1 week.

In the meantime, it’s out with the Coronas and down to the world renowned Cable Beach to enjoy the sunset and listen to some tunes. Whilst on the topic of beer, there seemed to be a lot of dismay shown at beer making up less than 5% of the outlay to date. Rest assured, beer is being thoroughly enjoyed, we are simply enjoying the saving with buying in bulk at the bottle-o! ;)

Bike Update:

Fitted new tyres – Hedeinau K60 scout 140/80-17 on the rears and K60 scout 110/80-19 on the front (Al’s bike only for the front tyre)

Took off cowlings to check all levels.

Tested Richies 1 year old battery charge and generator output with our $15 multimeter (good last minute buy) as it was sounding tired on start. Re-filled distilled water into his battery cells as a couple were completely empty – problem seems fixed!

Statistics (per person):

Total KMs traveled: 3072

Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #21
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Fuel

With fuel being your top expense so you'll be happy filling up in Indonesia and Malaysia where it's heavily subsidised.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I get the feeling this is going to be a good one. All the best lads.

Subscribed

PS You should consider riding from London to Perth (Scotland) then you could say you've done Perth 2 Perth .
fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
der-Seppel
Dominik

Oddometer: 364
I wish you guys a successful ride!

Was nice to meet two of you in October in Perth

Dominik

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia

der-Seppel screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 06:43 PM
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #24
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 123
Looking good. Great photos. Will be watching this one.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #25
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 793
Top looking trip so far guys.

Great image:

Now this is a piss poor effort:

Accommodation..WTF! Are you a bunch of pampered pretty boys? If you spend less on Motels you'll have more money for beer.

At least you're obviously not from the Latte set, as the coffee expense is less than beer.

Lift your game. We're watching you lot!
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Video Montage - Part One: Australia

A selection of shots from the first leg of our adventure.

SevenWorldsCollide screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 03:57 AM
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
The video is amazing. Looking forward to this ride report.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
miksail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Brilliant video, guys! Exceptional editing, great music and just enough voice over and ambient sound. But the real kicker was the excellent use of time lapse to close the video. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the rest of your adventure.
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #29
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Upcoming: battery problems :-)

Great report!

Better to replace the battery before you enter unknown territory.. filling empty cells is only a temporary solution. The cells are already damaged.

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #30
cvcaelen
Guzzi-rider

Oddometer: 100
loved what I read so far :)

subscribed
cvcaelen is offline   Reply With Quote