Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #31
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksail View Post
Brilliant video, guys! Exceptional editing, great music and just enough voice over and ambient sound. But the real kicker was the excellent use of time lapse to close the video. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the rest of your adventure.
Thanks for the feedback all! Great to hear you are appreciating it, we wern't sure whether to ditch the camera gear at Darwin or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
Great report!

Better to replace the battery before you enter unknown territory.. filling empty cells is only a temporary solution. The cells are already damaged.
You were too right mate, battery died completely today and we will be waiting for the shops to open tomorrow and hope they have one in stock before we continue towards Darwin. More to come in an update soon :)

OverlandMotorcycleAdventure.blogspot.com.au
SevenWorldsCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #32
Koursaros72
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Subscribed!!!

Gents, I wish you all the very best in your endeavors!!!!

You started your trip only two years ahead of me (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)... All jokes aside, I wish you a wonderful and safe trip!

Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS K8
Koursaros72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #33
najisaurus
Tigerist

Oddometer: 26
great RR with excellent pictures!

When are you guys coming to Singapore?
najisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #34
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Fork boots.

Great RR.

BMW told all the dealers when the first F650GS's came out that the bikes would overheat if forkboots would be mounted.
So it might be better to take them off if your bikes keep overheating. Those boots take away too much wind that should go to the radiator..

Have a good trip guys.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 09:28 AM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #35
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Broome to Kununurra (Day 16)

The break from the bikes in Broome for 6 days was a magnificent recharge and a necessary stopping point to avoid a monsoonal downpour that closed numerous roads on our path eastward toward Darwin. Our accommodation, Cable Beach Backpackers, provided us with a pool, affordable drinks, good music and a truly relaxing vibe - topped off with a measly 700m walk to what could be one of the most beautiful beaches in WA, Cable Beach. We met some great fellow travellers at the backpackers - two of which, Mario and Pederick, we have had the pleasure of travelling with for a good portion of our leg to Kununurra.

It’s a mutual feeling between us that it was at Broome where we finally entered holiday mode. After a solid break and Rich’s quick catch-up with his girlfriend for an early Valentines dinner - we were all raring to hop back on the saddle and get this trip back underway. Next stop was Fitzroy Crossing.

We’re all in agreence that hopping on a packed bike in the early morning, with a full tank of fuel and then slowly accelerating onto open road is one of the most pleasurable experiences to date. It took us most of the day to travel the 396 km to Fitzroy Crossing. We took a quick 80 km detour to see the famous prison boab tree about 7 km from Derby. This boab is big. Huge in fact. We all jumped in and had a chat in the shade inside…wasn’t too bad in there to honest! We arrived in Fitzroy and began our search for some accommodation, all of which was above $200 per night for the three of us the share a room. We opted for the $30 tents which we’ll undoubtedly use again through Asia. My main concern is whether these tents are water proof! Time will tell.

We left Fitzroy at about 6:30 am to make the most of the cool morning breeze. It’s great to take advantage of the morning hours, but doing so brings about a certain level of Kangaroo paranoia…as the little bastards enjoy the cool mornings as much as we do. The same paranoia arises later in the afternoon as dusk sets in. 4492 kilometres on the trip odo and we arrived in Kununurra. Instantly we are impressed by the Diversion Dam that acts as an entrances road into town. Later on (the day after) we are even more impressed by the Dam at Lake Argyle that is accompanied by a hydro power station. Richies bike had some battery issues so we indulged in a two up tour of the lake! Two up has its advantages, one being pillion is a great experience – instead of concentrating on the road you can just watch. It’s very therapeutic. Secondly, the rider gets an easy refill of his camel back!

Lake Argyle is truly majestic, it’s just simply massive, with tens of smaller islands scattered throughout it. Apparently its big enough to hold an estimated 55,000 fresh water crocs! We sat in awe watching the hydro power plant and the view of Lake Argyle for at least 45 minutes. Definitely a recommended location to check out if you’re ever in the area. The ‘mini’ bungle bungles very close the town centre are good visit too. A HUGE thank you to Michelle, Ernie and Tom (Alister’s family friends) for allowing us to stay in their home welcoming us with open arms.

By pure chance we ran into a fellow overland motorcycle adventurer, Thomas (KTM rider), who owns a café in Kununurra called the Pump House. Not only did Thomas give us excellent advice based on a trip he had completed last year (almost identical to the trip we have planned) he also served us what could have been one of the greatest coffee’s we’ve had on the trip to date. Cheers Thomas!

Bike Update:

Richies battery situation is now sorted

Tyre wear is far more reasonable now with the newly fitted Heidenau tyres.

Statistics (per person):

Total KMs traveled: 4492

Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Good luck boys - keep those reports flowing
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #37
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 228
If I can be of any assistance

Hi Guys,

I am currently ahead of you all and currently in Kota Bharu, Malaysia heading towards Thailand.

I took the Darwin to Dilli route on Toll Perkins and ferries from Kupang to Flores and Island hopped my way up and then jumped to Penang shipping the bike and then flying myself.

If I can be of any assistance with info just contact me. You will eventually catch me up as I am taking it a lots slower than you guys and if you do catch up I will help you address the beer component of your budget.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #38
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 208

I'm in!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #39
mr bones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Subscribed. Have fun will be watching al the way.
mr bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #40
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by najisaurus View Post
When are you guys coming to Singapore?
Thanks mate - unfortunately we expect to be skipping Singapore, instead getting a ferry from Indo straight to Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4d View Post
Hi Guys,

I am currently ahead of you all and currently in Kota Bharu, Malaysia heading towards Thailand.

I took the Darwin to Dilli route on Toll Perkins and ferries from Kupang to Flores and Island hopped my way up and then jumped to Penang shipping the bike and then flying myself.

If I can be of any assistance with info just contact me. You will eventually catch me up as I am taking it a lots slower than you guys and if you do catch up I will help you address the beer component of your budget.
Great to hear of your travels Peter, any help with the beer budget is always welcomed! Look forward to catching up at some point!

Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #41
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWorldsCollide View Post
Thanks mate - unfortunately we expect to be skipping Singapore, instead getting a ferry from Indo straight to Malaysia!
Not sure what you are referring to when you say ferry from Indo. I could not find one that would take big bikes. I used Caraka Shipping to ship the bike to Penang.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #42
gerryh
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Slan go foill

Just subscribed " may the road rise to meet you and wind be always at your back". all the best from sunny Perth.
gerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #43
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Kununurra to Darwin (Day 23)

After spending two nights in Kununarra we left feeling refreshed and ready to push onwards towards the goal of Darwin. 40kms from Kununarra and we hit a milestone – our first border crossing. With just a sign saying welcome to the NT and an open road ahead we get the feeling that this will be the easiest border crossing we’ll experience on this trip...

It was quite clear that the NT has experienced a lot of rain recently; long sections of the roads were washed away at creek and river crossings. We were once again lucky enough not to be stalled by flooding or road closures. Very early on after setting out on this trip we realised we were not blessed with iron bottoms and continual short breaks were needed. These breaks were only 80-100kms apart. With these being said, on track to Katherine we hit a special achievement; 280kms without putting the feet down. Our longest single ride and hopefully the last!!

We arrived in Katherine and settled down in the only backpackers in town – Cocos. At first it seemed as if we drove into someone’s backyard with chickens roaming freely, old plastic chairs thrown about and half built projects. However after a couple of minutes looking lost we were greeted by Coco himself, who didn’t mind spinning a yarn, and sold us into a dorm with air conditioning (he had the sale once he mentioned the air con!) Katherine itself still had the charm of a northern country town we had been riding through previously however it did have a larger, city like feel to it. It would have been nice, if time permitted, to explore around the area but with Darwin in our sights we were off first thing in the morning.

For 18 days we have somehow miraculously avoided riding in the rain. Although we heard of constant reports of road closures and talks of cyclones, we managed to go unscathed. This was until 30kms out of Darwin and the city teasingly emerging from the horizon the skies decided to finally unleased on us. The only silver lining we could draw from this was it allowing us to test our gear and bikes through rain which will undoubtedly not be so lucky to avoid in Asia.

We settled into a backpackers in Darwin on Mitchell Street, where looking from the balcony you can count a handful of pubs, nightclubs and other backpacking hostels. It is quite incredible to watch the amount of activity in this small section of the street and even more so with the locals telling us it’s the quiet season! With the ferry cut off still being the 26th, our first couple of days in Darwin have been organising flights with Air North (leaving Thursday 27th), applying for visas at the Indonesian Embassy (4 day turnaround) and yesterday undertaking our first oil change on the bikes (courtesy of the backpacking car park).

Today we gave the bikes their final run before putting them on the boats. We headed down to Litchfield National Park, about an hours drive south of Darwin. We went into this national park with zero expectations and it ended up amazing us. Countless sweeping turns through tree enclosed roads kilometre after kilometre. We stopped by several tourist locations such as the termite mounds and a couple of waterfalls (unfortunately a few places were closed due to flooding) but most amazingly at a place called Florence Falls where we unexpectedly ended up spending 3 hours at swimming underneath the falls and a few cliff dives.

It hasn't been easy spending the last week at Darwin with not much riding and still a further 10 days before we will be back on the bikes in Dilli, but the imagery and notion of us riding our bikes in a foreign country with amazing views around us keeps us excited and anxious for the next couple of weeks to slip by…

Bike Update

Oil change carried out on all three bikes

Richie bought and installed a closed lithium battery and removed front mudguard which was catching and wearing away the front tyre in a very unusual pattern.

Dan’s bike was refusing to idle and continually cut out with zero throttle being applied on the last trip before returning home from the national park this afternoon. After crawling home maintaining revs at each set of lights, initial suspicion lay in the idle actuator or throttle position sensor. However after a reset of the BMS (onboard computer) after returning to the backpackers, which removes the “learning” codes which can influence idle speed, all has returned to normal. A faulty iPhone cable connected direct to the battery is being blamed for now, as it coincidentally failed at the same time as the problems began. So all is well…. For now…

Phoenix (Al’s yellow bike) is flying soundly.

Statistics:

Total KMs traveled: 5823

Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #44
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Good luck on the next part you guys - Love the graph of the expenses . I'm along for the ride - well from the armchair :(
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #45
SevenWorldsCollide OP
Adventurer

Darwin to Dili (Day 27)

Well after a week of applying for visa’s, clearing customs, arranging shipping for the bikes, posting unnecessary gear home and generally running amuck in the backpacking haven that is Darwin, we have finally arrived in sunny Dili. It’s a mix of emotions as we leave behind all those new friends we met as we travelled up the West Coast however the views that greeted us as we made our approach to Dili airport have us more eager than ever to get on the bikes and tackle what lies ahead.

Clearing customs ended up being a fairly painless process, with us taking the bikes to the local customs house and being met by an officer who simply sighted the bikes and signed our necessary paperwork, having us on our way within 20minutes with the only restriction being that we had the bikes dropped off to the yard that same day. After a quick wash we were greeted with a conveniently timed hurdle in the form of Alister’s yellow bike refusing to start. He would push the starter button, and nothing was happening. Great. After bump starting the bike, we headed straight to the shipping company to begin organising our paperwork, all feeling somewhat deflated at this point as we frantically discussed possible fixes over the intercoms.

Upon arriving at Toll Marine Logistics we met with the team manager who informed us that due to a computer glitch, he was unable to process the booking and would make an exemption for us to bring the bikes back the next day. Deep joy! On inspection back in the car park of the backpackers, all it ended up being was a corroded starter button in the combination switch which caused the issues, so after a clean-up of the terminals we can be confident that Al’s bike will now start at the other end of its journey across the Timor Sea.

So the following day we managed to drop off the bikes and having collected our Indonesian visa’s, all that was left was to win the infamous Wednesday quiz night at the backpackers (our final night). Without going into too much detail we managed to pull off a miraculous win (mainly due to the brilliant captaincy of Alister – so he claims) and with that came a substantial bar tab for the local nightclub. And so what was meant to be a restful night before having to arrive for a 330am check in quickly turned into a night of absolute madness at the neon party down the road.

A mix of shots and beers in quick succession (and customary body paint) caused us to leave straight from the nightclub to the airport feeling battered and sorry for ourselves - but on reflection it was completely worth it!!! Even though we received a few peculiar looks from airport staff and travellers toward our new fluro look, with zero sleep and Dili in our sights all that mattered was getting on the plane and to the nearest mattress at the other end.

Bike Update

As mentioned above, starter button was corroded on Al’s yellow bike and the wash was the final straw which caused it to fail. Fixed by cleaning contact surfaces.