Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #136
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Barreda: Spanish tv said he crashed 4 times today. His hand hurt.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I've been workign on this for about 5 hours today, and I've come up with nothing.......

here's the stage 5 stuff I've gotten so far, which isn't much, but realistically, this stage is pretty straight forward I think just by looking at the areas.

Stage 5 KMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
+1
You think you've been rescued before? Ppfftt!

You ain't been "rescued" til your arse has been saved by an Argentine wearing a brightly colored wig. THEN you've been rescued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
First, I want to congratulate Mischa on his fine work on the tracker, I really like the WP/CP bars between the riders and it looked great on a small screen

Next, the WP distances for stage 5:

WP1 @ 48km
WP2 @ 101km
WP3 @ 148km
WP5 @ 162km
WP4 @ 187km (they are on the height profile in this order, all bets are off....)
WP6/Start Neutralisation @ 211km
Refuel @ 220km
End Neutralisation @ 322km
WP7 @ 372km
WP8 @ 397km
CP1 @ 431km
WP9 @ 445km (or @ CP1)
WP10 @ 478km
WP11 @ 495km
ASS @ 527km
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Dakar 2014 - Stephen Tunley

Just a horrible horrible 2 days for the bike riders. Days 3 and 4 are the first of 2 marathon stages where the riders overnight in the stage and have no support crew. Day 3 was very hard with riders scattered across the course - stuck in a canyon and up to 40 to 80 riders (hard to know exact numbers) sleeping overnight. Big problems for so many and the organization under pressure to sort stuff out especially as it is again rumored an ASO official directed the riders into the ...canyon they could not get out of.

It the end of day 4 and we know now that we have 2 riders left, Marco and Mateo. Peter ( whom I am at dinner with as I write this in a Parilla in Chillicito ), David Reeve who is in good spirits despite facing a major knee op and recovery and Kevin whose rear tyre blew up at the beginning of the stage yesterday.

Peter is in good spirits and looking to try again next year. David is a very strong individual and I expect he will try again, Kevin I have yet to speak to but know he is back in the bivouac and devastated!

The last 2 bivouacs have been located in valleys between steep mountains and hot as hell! A sleeping tablet every night is essential given the noise that is constant! Generally we are up at 4am, bikes ready to go around 5am, then we pack up camp, quick Brekkie and drive for 7-9 hours - set up camp and prepare for the bikes to arrive.

Given the complexity of the Dakar it's no wonder that information that is accurate is hard to come by and scant at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Luis Belaustegui shared this on his fb page, seems he also got caught in the canyon. ( Bing translation is a bit confusing...)

A dakar without difficulty is not a dakar. A pilot can do everything humanly possible to get well prepared for this race but the dakar is dakar and not for nothing they call it career hardest in the world. John started well the first waypoint of stage 1, rated the post 83, but from there the race was complicated, the rest of the stage had to run with loose handle losing concentration and maneuverability. In stage 2 came very well, already has had amigado with the bike after a complicated day, but towards the end of the stage the engine broke down and had to be towed to the bivouac. Stage 3 was not better, after changing the engine, something John pretended to do more towards the end of the competition, the pilot of Zárate started with the idea of recovering ground lost but is found with one of the challenges most large all Dakar: in the same place where the term dakar to Marcos Patronelli Juan motorbike, and many competitors more I will fit. But the desperate situation was the height, with any movement made by the pilots are apunaban and take out the bikes and outdoor that were embedded became impossible. John spent the night there with many other pilots and newly arrived to the bivouac today morning. In principle, the Organization would have made an exception and let get to the pilots who were in the same situation as John since according to the rules of procedure should have been excluded for exceeding the time of arrival at the bivouac. Today John started but their times are not the web official Dakar, we know that the rules of this race is full of grey areas, let us hope that this time the currency fall to the side of John.
Quote:
Mechanical Casualties of the Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race.
Just 3 days in, at the Bivouac in San Rafael.

Kamaz that rolled in a Gully

David's Bike returns to the Bivouac on the "Broom Wagon"

Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #137
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
A look from the other side.....is suppose to be from this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcCMV7I7Gk

Quote:
El Martillo Racing To Dakar

Gray day

According to information of the ASO, Jeff Quade was picked up by a medical assistance vehicle after he fell early today in the 2nd part of the marathon stage the bikes and quads these two days. ASO’s information is that #139 Quade hurt one of his arms (not broken) after an accident in the 1st part of today’s challenge. He is now announced by the Dakar organization as “abandoned”. We have not been able to reach him on the phone but ASO’s said he is ok in the milita...ry base where the bikes spent the night yesterday.

The Durango also is having a tough day, nearly 170 km after starting today’s Special stage, the car broke the clutch. The T4 truck reached them and gave assistance, soon after the car was back in the fight with a greater challenge falling places in the main classification but still on the path to Valparaiso.

Good vibes needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Tell me about it!!!

I'm not one for conspiracy theories about how the evil Orga is out to nail everyone, so I looked into the withdraws and the days event a bit more.

The Strange thing is that the last riders registered having arrived was
17h45 local. Maybe the guys at the ASS got tired of waiting and went to the bivouac for beers.

Here is how it looked according the Orga:

start 146
left 121
cp 1 103
cp 2 101
cp 3 101
DSS 74

The strangest thing is that at the end of Stage 3 there were a total of 41 withdrawals since the beginning of the rally, so the numbers don't quite add up: If 146 started there would have to be 187 riders, a variance of 13 more than we had start Stage 1. So by my reckoning 146 riders had clearance to start but only 121 of those were actually able to start.

Did they delay the start to accommodate the missing riders on the mountain? Most certainly, yes. Were the riders able to get in on time? Unfortunately it seems only 121 did. Were those on the mountain promised rescue? I'm sure they were, but they would have to be patient.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, this means there were only 11 riders who spent the night out in the infamous canyon or somewhere on the mountain.
(173 - 41 - 121) = 11

So I expect Orga to adjust the list tomorrow to include additional withdrawals in Stage 4. From an organisation POV, they were given all night to find their way out of trouble to the start. They will argue that the elite riders managed -as a team- to pull their bikes out of trouble down the mountain, and that crazy Dutch guy who was the only one in the field to successfully ride back up out of the Canyongate. They will say it was immaterial where they went wrong or not, all they had to to was get to the start wot be allowed to continue, adding, "in the spirit of the Dakar".

Anyway reviewing the withdrawals as they currently stand on the night of Stage 3, we had:
22 riders withdraw at the end of Stage 2 and only
19 riders withdraw from Stage 3
6 riders withdraw from Stage 4 (so far)

Here is that sorry list.
1 2 140 ERICK MEIER VON SCHIERENBECK (PER) SUZUKI WITHDRAWAL
2 2 183 DAVID TIEPPO (ARG) KTM............................. WITHDRAWAL
3 2 21 ALESSANDRO BOTTURI (ITA) SPEEDBRAIN........ WITHDRAWAL
4 2 156 CARLO SEMINARA (ITA) YAMAHA....................... WITHDRAWAL
5 2 188 FREDERIC MILLET (FRA) KTM............................. WITHDRAWAL
6 2 89 HERVE THEURIOT (FRA) KTM............................. WITHDRAWAL
7 2 166 LUIS CARLOS CALDERAY GONZALEZ (ESP) YAMAHA WITHDRAWAL
8 2 195 FRANCISCO MASSU (CHL) YAMAHA...................... WITHDRAWAL
9 2 130 GILLES GARD (FRA) YAMAHA............................. WITHDRAWAL
10 2 178 PAOLO LIBRALESSO (ITA) YAMAHA..................... WITHDRAWAL
11 2 137 CRISTIAN PERALTA (CHL) HONDA...................... NOT STARTING

12 2 182 SERGIO CERDERA (ARG) KAWASAKI................ WITHDRAWAL
13 2 20 PAL ANDERS ULLEVALSETER (NOR) KTM.......... WITHDRAWAL
14 2 153 SMITH JAMIE (GBR) KTM.................................. WITHDRAWAL
15 2 187 WALTER VAN SINTEN (NLD) HONDA............. WITHDRAWAL
16 2 84 INGO ZAHN (DEU) KTM.................................. WITHDRAWAL
17 2 161 DAVID MALARTRE (FRA) YAMAHA.................... WITHDRAWAL
18 2 192 ALI MACHLAB (ESP) KTM.................................. WITHDRAWAL
19 2 115 PHILIPPE PRUNIER (FRA) YAMAHA.................... WITHDRAWAL
20 2 167 PETER HARDY (USA) KTM.................................. WITHDRAWAL
21 2 136 KAZUHITO FUKAKUSA (JPN) HONDA............. WITHDRAWAL
22 2 181 ALEJO MAISONNAVE (URY) KTM.................. WITHDRAWAL
23 3 190 HUMPREY SENN VAN BASEL (NLD) KTM.......... WITHDRAWAL
24 3 43 ALESSANDRO ZANOTTI (SMR) TM.................... WITHDRAWAL
25 3 143 BATBOLD KHADBAASAN (MNG) BMW................. WITHDRAWAL
26 3 60 JAN VAN GERVEN (NLD) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
27 3 160 JEAN-LOUIS BLANPAIN (BEL) KTM.................. WITHDRAWAL
28 3 94 GIULIO NAPOLI (ITA) BETA......................... WITHDRAWAL
29 3 163 MARCO BRIOSCHI (ITA) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
30 3 120 LEON AMESPIL (ARG) YAMAHA.................... WITHDRAWAL
31 3 186 KEVIN MUGGLETON (USA) HONDA..................... WITHDRAWAL
32 3 12 FRANS VERHOEVEN (NLD) YAMAHA.................... WITHDRAWAL
33 3 138 DIOCLEZIANO TOIA (ITA) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
34 3 47 PABLO QUINTANILLA (CHL) KTM.................. WITHDRAWAL
35 3 157 ARIEL CIAMPI (ARG) YAMAHA............................ WITHDRAWAL
36 3 68 JAN VESELY (CZE) YAMAHA............................ WITHDRAWAL
37 3 162 ALBERTO BRIOSCHI (ITA) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
38 3 102 DAVID GREGORY REEVE (ZMB) KTM.................. WITHDRAWAL
39 3 179 JOERG MAJOLI (DEU) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
40 3 8 RUBEN FARIA (PRT) KTM.................................. WITHDRAWAL
41 3 123 PAOLO SABBATUCCI (ITA) YAMAHA............ WITHDRAWAL

42 4 29 JEAN DE AZEVEDO (BRA) HONDA..................... WITHDRAWAL
43 4 78 GUSTAVO ADOLFO QUERALES MALAVE (VEN) YAMAHA WITHDRAWAL
44 4 139 JEFFREY QUADE (MEX) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
45 4 18 SAM SUNDERLAND (GBR) HONDA..................... WITHDRAWAL
46 4 32 BEN GRABHAM (AUS) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL
47 4 121 MARK DAVIDSON (AUS) KTM.......................... WITHDRAWAL

If your favorite rider is out of the race, may I suggest you find another competitor worthy of your support - They need it. They know of this thread and they come here looking for news and encouragement. It our way to of cheering them on!!
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Octavio Valle, #82

Quote:
Interview with Marco Saldarriga #189

http://www.caracol.com.co/audio_prog...r/2049456.aspx

--------------

Etapa 4: Otra excelente etapa para nuestros pilotos....

Marco Saldarriaga completa la etapa en el puesto 54 y Mateo Moreno en el puesto 62. !!GRACIAS COLOMBIA ESTAMOS HACIENDO HISTORIA!!!!

Clasificación General: Marco puesto 51...
#ColombiaEnElDakar #dakar2014

Quote:

Quote:
Chavo Salvatierra ‏@chavo_mx1 3m
La etapa de ayer y la de hoy han sido las mas exigentes y difíciles que he corrido del Dakar. Ahora a la cama,hay que recuperar el físico!

Chavo Salvatierra @ chavo_mx1 3m
The stage yesterday and today have been the most demanding and difficult I have raced the Dakar. Now to bed, you have to recover the physical!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #138
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Kato aus just emailed out this. Bummer for Ben, hope he's ok.

Quote:
KTM'S GRABHAM OUT OF DAKAR RALLY

Media Release
KTM'S GRABHAM OUT OF DAKAR RALLY
09/01/2014

KTM Australia’s Ben Grabham is out of the Dakar Rally after crashing in the fourth stage of the event between San Juan and Chilecito.

The 32-year-old winner of at least 30 Australian titles in various forms of off-road motorcycling encountered a drop-off in thick dust and fell heavily, before being taken to hospital for examination in Argentina where he was subsequently released.

General Manager of KTM Australia Jeff Leisk said the fall was most likely a result of yesterday’s misfortune, in which Grabham – while running third in the stage - was one of four riders to follow a lead competitor down a wrong turn and got badly stuck on a steep mountainside.

The difficulty compounded when one rider crashed heavily, and Grabham and two others waited with the injured rider while he was airlifted to safety.

The chain of events dropped Grabham from 9th outright to 32nd place, and left him many slower riders to pass in dangerous, dusty conditions.

“Ben’s had to ride through a lot of dust today and found a big drop and gone over the front,” said Leisk, himself a former World Motocross Vice Champion. “I’ve received a small amount of information and it looks like he’s hit his head and is pretty battered and bruised. He had to get checked out but seems to have nothing broken.
“Obviously he’s extremely disappointed to have his Dakar end in this manner,” Leisk said. “I was concerned when he had his setback yesterday because it puts the rider in the position of having to take calculated risks to keep moving forward. We’ve all done it - but the most important thing is that he seems okay, so I’m very relieved about that.”

Today's stage win went to Spanish rider Juan Pedrero Garcia ahead of KTM riders Francisco Lopez Contardo from Chile and Spaniard Marc Coma while in the overall standings Juan Barreda Bort holds a narrow lead over the KTMs of three time winner Coma and Contardo.

For more information on KTM motorcycles visit www.ktm.com.au or www.facebook.com/KTMAustralia
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #139
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
This edition is just crazy.

"apart from this, the bike never missed a beat" might have been more correcter. I think I got the idea of what he implied.
You're a Cyril Lover!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #140
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449

I kinda like the "stripped" down look.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #141
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
And so it begins to get quiet tonight. Family priorities have kept me on the lurker sidelines this year, but I've been keeping up with the firehose. Has the pace slowed a bit this year? It seems as though my morning mission of catching up is less intense perhaps, at least up until this point.

Gutted over the high number of withdrawals this year. Canyongate is shaping up to be the big controversy this year, but there are many more days to go...

I miss Rally RAIDio call-ins. But the insider perspective of former participants in this thread is a huge benefit to us fans who will never see the start line as a competitor or even a spectator.

Long live the F5irehose.
Its almost manageable this year.

I think that's because we don't have Kurt, Robbie has not done very well, and it looks like we lost our last US rider? We also don't have a support team consisting of inmates out there. The economy improving? Balls I say. We can see it here.

That and the fact that we did not have live WP's until SS4.

But it reminds me of the way things were in 2009. A fairly busy but closely knit community of racing fellows.

Missing Nate.

Hope you stay with us! its been more brutal this year than I can remember.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #142
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Okay its 01h00 local and time to look at the provisional results:

Sherco take the Stage with Garcia riding well and not making much of a hash at the end like everyone else where the recent rains washed away some critical turnoffs. Lopez came second, another fine performance, and Coma lurking not far off, just 3 minutes 10s behind Garcia.

Coma's good riding mate Despres () ran into trouble and lost 42 minutes on Garcia which is a significant setback that he will have to work hard at reducing. But the widening gap in the field meant he was only knocked him back to 16th for the stage.

Compare that to Metge who was hit with a 21 minute erroneous penalty earlier in the race and went down to 104th on a single stage! Metge got his time back, did not do well today, coming 42nd, and has another 1 hour penalty to his name for some reason. Not good for Cyril really.

So this huge time difference in Stage completion times is evidence of how hard the stage really was and we have heard the rider's attesting to this as well.

Crash Bang Bang Bull Barreda had an awful day after a triumphant Stage 3. Spanish tv told us he crashed no less than 4 times, the last time hurting his wrist. So although the bike is fixed up each day by a top factory team, he is developing an injury/physical snowball that will catch him out soon if he not careful. I expect he will receive team instructions tonight to back off a bit, which is what he should have done today. In any case he pushed hard into a tough stage, got lost near the end like everyone else and panicked for a while because he had the pressure of opening the stage. It reminded me a bit of Nani Roma's famous panic attack when he got lost in North Africa. You should youtube the footage, its out there. Bang Bang looked really rattled, and it was only thanks to what must be exceptional navigational skills that he found his way in losing just 13 minutes on Garcia. Many others lost 30 minutes to 2 hours in the same place. Unfortunately Bang Bang also lost 3/4 of his 18 minute overall lead over Coma built up over the last few days. I see Bang Bang as the underdog, a little out of his depth, but despite his faults I like him and am hoping he can pull it together somehow and get on the podium, perhaps even get 1st.

Other rider who stood out for me was Laia Sanz. The young Spaniard came in 20th 52 minutes off the mark and this placed her very strongly in the overall rankings.

Ben Grabbham the Aussie crashed out trying to catch up in thick dust, and Sam Sunderland blew up his engine on the way to the start, probably after pushing his bike very hard in the mountains yesterday. Gutting for both of them. And for the mountain of other guys who could not even make the start after the previous days drama.

Riaan van Niekerk and Brett Cummings soldiered on and finished as well which was a relief to be honest. But Riaan was doing really well looking at a top 10 when something happened to cause him to lose 2 hours out there today fairly early on. It seems Brett caught up and they finished together, Brett doing brilliantly and coming 1st in the Malle Moto class and 29th overall! Against such strong competition this is a really awesome result.

There are so many other I want to touch on but time does not permit. I do want to make a mention of Paul Jay the last GBR pilot and Shane Diener (AUS) who managed to come in after over 11hrs in the sun on the special. really epic. I do believe they are tough buggers who will somehow pull though, but tomorrow will not be easy.

Also lets not forget the Escale twins who were almost out on Stage 1. They are slowly climbing the ranks and doing well. Our Sole mongolian competitor BoldBaatar DamDinkhorloo is still fighting with an injured arm. These are some of the guys we need to slow clap though a stage just 100 shy of 1,000km tomorrow!

overall rankings:

The top are self explanatory, but I will say this. If Barreda shadows Coma and or Lopez and waits for opportunity to attack he should do exactly that. If he goes for another stage win - unless its a complete fluke- he is going lose this race very quickly. He needs to preserve himself and his bike.

Just look at Laia Sanz!! Fantastic! And she is so strong, I would not be surprised with a top 10. Its long way to go, but she needs to get behind Rodriguez or Pedrero if she can and let them take her up the rankings.

Riaan Van Niekerk I am afraid seems to have cooked his top ten chances for now. If he rides well and carefully in the dust be may be able to struggle back up, given there is likely still to be a 10-15% fallout this year of the top guys. Its a dangerous group of riders in the 20-40 ranking. Its going to be a bit of a slog when you are down almost 2 hours on the top ten riders.

Brett is still second in malle moto class behind Dutchman Van Pelt. But he is just 59 minutes behind him in 49th position - and I do not believe they have given him back his time for helping Dave yet! Really, this is exceptional.

If Brett can just keep riding sensibly as he has been I see no reason why he could not rise up into a top 30, perhaps even top 20 position by the time they get to the Pacific!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #143
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Death Valley Ride
Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #144
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,423
Day five

First MOTO's away on the liason about now...?

BIG Day ahead 8purely on mileage alone) on top of two butal days

be back for the f5estivities in two hours time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #145
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #146
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
The stage locations of the checkpoints on the stage maps at dakar.com have changed, therefore I present a new list of estimated waypoint distances:

position distance
WP1 46.99
WP2 99.50
WP3 145.57
WP4 186.11
WP5 211.91
WP6 321.54
WP7 372.22
WP8/CP1 398.01
WP9 445.00
WP10 479.09
WP11 496.60
F/ASS 527.00

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #147
Flood OP
F5lood.

Drama and chaos on SS5, the longest of this year's Dakar. As far as we can follow the trackers and Radio Maray, there are huge nav problems for Marc Coma, Joan Barreda, Juan Pedrero Garcia, Francisco Lopez, Israel Esquerre, Przygoski, Jake, Duclos.

Pedrero is reported as having run out of fuel at WP4 while 'Paulo Goncalves' Honda has gone up in flames.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #148
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
10:29 Bikes: Pizzolito on rough ground
Argentinean Javier Pizzolito got lost after 162 km, where the track turned towards the west. He took the opposite direction to the east and has lost valuable seconds.
10:27 Bikes: Wrong way for Barreda, Chaleco and Perdrero
Several seconds after the arrival of Marc Coma, his pursuers are all at sea: after 195 km, a possible split in the tracks to the north caused them to make a mistake. Joan Barreda, Juan Pedrero Garcia, Francisco Lopez, Israel Esquerre, Przygoski, Jake and Duclos have all taken this incorrect track that almost runs parallel to the right route.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #149
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Marc Coma aurait fait une bonne opération dans la première partie de cette spéciale. Selon un pointage très provisoire il disposerait de 13' d'avance sur Jordi Viladoms le deuxième. Le troisième Kuba Przygonski serait à 22'45" ! Bien plus loin encore, les principaux adversaires de Coma au général : Barreda Bort et Chaleco seraient au-delà de la demi-heure... A vérifier !

Marc Coma would have made a good deal in the first part of this special. According to a very temporary score it would have 13 'ahead of Jordi Viladoms second. The third would be to Kuba Przygonski 22'45 "Although further, the main opponents to the general Coma: Barreda Bort and Chaleco be beyond the half-hour ... Check!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #150
Flood OP
F5lood.

So sorry for not keeping up with the Cliff Notes, but sometimes we also need to work. Anyway, a totally chaotic stage which is probably less interesting to re-read. Tracking was spotty at best and we relied on rumors from Twitter, Maray and some cryptic dakar.com news. Coma, Viladoms and Rodrigues were off the tracker most of the time.

Maray had a guy at the end of part1, neutralization start. At first they reported Coma coming in from the wrong direction, then turning around and searching for a missed waypoint. Then, one of the most dramatic situations of the day, we got news that Goncalves was "on fire".

Many were happy to hear that good old Paulo was obviously going so fast.

Turns out, his bike was literally on fire.

More reports of bikes going left and right, cars catching up, following the wrong bike tracks, tracker goes dark.
Suddenly, rumors of "protesters on the rally route" and "safety issues". By then, the stage was already shortened to CP1, soon after the neutralization.

While the WP results get more and more confusing, suddenly an official depeche declares the stage over and WP5 times -before the neutralization- to be final. Coma wins. Barreda something like 40' back, Despres way, way back.

We expect much heartache, handwringing, ASO-bashing, unexplained penalties and maybe, maybe a completely cancelled stage.

So much for a quick and dirty re-cap of what I could gather on my way home. No idea what happened with the cars. I think Robby's buggy kinda made it home today. The rest is probably the green Mini, the red Mini, the yellow Mini or something like this. Also, quads. And trucks.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread