Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #181
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
SPECIAL RELEASE BY ASO

Death of Eric Palante

At 08:30 hours this morning, as the crew of the broom truck was plotting the position of bike rider 122 to pick him up, at kilometre 143 on the special of the 5th stage between Chilecito and San Miguel de Tucuman they found the body of the Belgian rider Eric Palante (entrant no. 122).

The circumstances of Eric's death are the subject of an analysis by the Judge Dr. Massucco of Belen [Catamarca province].

No alert was received by the organisers, and Eric's water had been replenished in the afternoon.

The rider's family were told of the accident by the organisation in the morning. Fifty-year-old Eric Palante was taking part in his 11th Dakar and hoped to win the amateur trophy for motorbikes. He knew the race very well, and over the years his enthusiastic but serious approach had made him one of the pillars of the event.

It is with great sadness that the organisers and the entire family of the Dakar offer their condolences to Eric's family and friends.

Source: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...l-release.html

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #182
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Paulo Gonclaves reflecting on his disastrous Stage 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Katsumi Yamazaki” / TEAM HRC Rally Director:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU
Quote:
“The tough stage 5 was finished. The wether condition was so hot and very strong sun shine. Today’s result is Helder took 4th place for Team HRC and that his result is the best result in Dakar 2014. Barreda was 17th, he was keeping 2nd place before he lost the course at the end of stage. Unfortunately Paulo was retired due to the trouble from fire. The reason of fire problem was dried grass was hung up on the surround of exhaust and caught fire. That problem was not only for Paulo, also Helder and Pizzolito. Finally Paulo lost his bike and had to retire the race, but fortunately Paulo has no damage. We will take measures and find the solution about this issue within today. Back to the general standing, Barreda is 2nd with 41minutes behind from 1st and Helder is 12th place, Pizzolito is 30th place. I think Barreda will have a chance to get 1st place even if the time gap is 41minutes. Because today is still stage 5 and remain 8 days! All of us, Team HRC, never give up.”
* Note: all rece result was provisional race result when Mr. Yamazaki explained
Laia had the same problem.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #183
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Chaleco's bike looked pretty beat up and he looked a bit rough too but was walking.

Update on Gilbert Escale's condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
He is breathing without external help. Constants are stable.
Fisurated right lung.
Renal contusion.

48h to know if he will need surgery.

First they talk to Gilbert's father. He says the brother called him from middle in the stage. Oriol was riding fine but choosed to stop and wait for his brother. A spanish rider stoped and told him Gilbert had had a big crash. Then Oriol called home with a phone.

ASO doctor is phoning them every 3 hours.

Argentinian doctor says he is lucid and talking. Good prospects.
He is "out of danger". Liver needs be monitored though.

I undestand catalan better than I write english.

Quote:
Dakar, F1 pit stop style:

Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #184
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Riaan via FB:

"The rest day is here at last, phew, it's been a very hard week, I've made some navigational errors but overall I'm in good shape and CAN'T WAIT to put my feet up ! I need to get ready for the week ahead and if this week was anything to go by, I'm gonna have my work cut out for me, at least 50% of the field has been eliminated. thanks for all the amazing support and messages !"

Hectic Footage on Fr4 showing a guy being treated for heat stroke!!!

{edit 205'd by myself! I need a rest day!! }

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #185
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Few screens from F4.

He looked very shaken.

Smiling and relaxed.

Jordi giving Coma his wheel. Probably at todays NP.

Duclo. They've caught the Kinigardner referance.

Metge. He could be the bosses brother.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #186
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Friterie and shadow

Romero Font Rosa holding the bag.........for ....the guy on the ground.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #187
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
I searched back throught the posts but couldn't see why Cyril Despres got a 1 hr penalty.......did he miss a WP?

Found my answer:

"
Cyril Despres came home eventually in 18th after a difficult stage. Fuel problems forced him to end his search for the elusive WP17 prematurely. He received an extra hour’s penalty for the missing waypoint, dropping him to 34th for the day and 13th overall. Olivier Pain was the last of the three to complete the stage, finishing in 23rd to hold 7th in the standings after no less than three crashes in the soft sand dunes. Due to the number of riders who were also penalised the overall standings are liable to change.
“It was very hot in the special and the sand was soft. Because of that I was paying particular attention to engine temperature and even more so when I noticed I was consuming fuel at an alarming rate. I was on my way to get the famous WP17 but had to turn back when I realized I wouldn’t have enough fuel to make it to the end. I was right on the limit of running out when I came across a quad rider who kindly gave me a litre and a half. In all, my various problems cost me 44 minutes, to which will be added the one hour penalty…” Cyril Despres"

Canadian FJR

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #188
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasRally View Post
This comes from Patsy Quick FB page about Eric's death

"I first met Eric in 2003 on my first Dakar, both of us were on Honda XR 650's along with Mick Extance, Eric had re-mortgaged his house to get the money for his entry fee, he said then it was to be his only one....RIP Eric"
In 2003, but lived to die on his 11th.

I suppose there will be more and more coming with the same addiction in the future.

Rally Raid is the only surviving sports with adventure in its DNA, the rest have become fast food.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #189
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
David Reeve meets Pal Anders, both out of the rally.

From David's team (with an update on Brett's stage 5)

"Good afternoon from Tucuman. Stage 5. Dakar 2014. Another tough day.

Its been a long haul on the road to the Bivouac here. 572kms in total being about 9 hrs on the road.

We were rewarded for this as its a nice bivouac with a grass base Polo Fields and even access to Data Connectivity.
This breaks what people say the ASO look for in an ideal bivouac. It is rumoured that the essential conditions for the Dakar Bivouacs are:
1. Sand or fine dust.
2. No Phone or Data Signal.
3. A Howling wind.

Tucuman is today an exception if that is a rule.

Team Freedom Rally Racing managed to find a nice location halfway between the Loos/Showers and the Catering.
This was critical in order that David could move around between the Bivouac facilities on his crutches.
I feel sorry for him, as he is really not happy in the RV. The roads haven't been brilliant so lying on the
rear bed is not as comfortable as it should be. No amount of distraction helps. "Are we there yet?" is
what we often hear from the back of the RV. He seems a little more mobile today and that cheered him
up when he got out of the RV.

The road trip was through some awesome scenery. We went from Botswana type sand and bush to Arizona
type Cactus desert to lush green though slightly moisture stressed Tobacco and Sugar farms near Tucuman
today. The scenery was fantastic.

We were re-routed off our Road book map by the Police at one stage. They said due to demonstrations on
the road. The alternative route made us think our Zambian back-roads were great. It was a terrible dust
road with hardly enough room for vehicle to pass of overtake in places. No Grader had been down that road
in decades. It seems that we may have been part of a few unlucky ones as I spoke to the Race 2 Recovery
Support guys and they didn't have the same detour.

We are hearing rumors of all sorts of stage cancellations today. We don't know what the story is yet. Brett
Cummings came in at 17:00 hrs saying that this was the hardest he has ever had to ride. The stages included
areas through Camel grass apparently which were quite taxing. Brett got a decent result despite this tough
day. It was good to see he is still smiling!!

I think the riders will really be looking forward to the rest day in Salta tomorrow. For this site look out for
lots more pictures. We should have a great WiFi connection for me to download all the hundreds of pics that
Norman can put up. I will also try and get an interview of Brett for you... No promises, just surprises if I succeed!! CB2"
Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #190
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Richard is all about Malle Moto, so no team to support him

Had a few bike issues (old CRF) due to heat and thought he was out after stage 4 when he arrived in the bivvy around 23.00u as his bike just died. About to throw in the towel at 04.30u in the morning as he couldnt find an issue. Cleaned his tanks as a last resort, fresh fuel and the 'mighty' CRF was back in working order!!

Richard seems super laid back and nothing phases him. He finished the stages a few years back with just 3 gears left

He must be on the only CRF that doesnt chew stators for breakfast and lunch Tell Henk Hellegers and the HT boys to start feeding the CRF bananas for breakfast like Richard does!!

https://www.facebook.com/richard.degroot.9041?fref=ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBVRacing View Post
I think it is more exhausting keeping up with the news than racing the Dakar

On the topic of 450/big bore
Personally I love riding my CR125 more so than my 660 fully loaded with 48L of fuel in the sand dunes at noon on a hot day. I can ride that little thing to the edge of my technical capabilities, much easier to ride but I am much closer to the line. The 660 I have to respect it and pre-empt a lot more. Sure it weighs more when you lift it but the weight is not really a factor for me as I do not use much muscles to ride. I do not use tape in my hands during the Dakar. Whilst the 450cc rule may help with the different brand, I do believe that people will get injured more easily. why? they ride closer to that line. The big bore you had to respect and riders would have probably spent a little more time on their level of fitness as well.

On the topic of high attrition
Dirt is dirt and rocks are rocks whether the race is called Dakar or Desafio. The heat and altitude play the biggest role against someone ability to stay close to that line but with an amount of safety. Then the ability to coordinate physical / mental / emotional aspects all at once and keeping the right balance against the speed or closeness to that line. You do not go through a Dakar without the proper simulation, you do not experience the Dakar during Dakar. You do all that stuff before the Dakar. Sure, bad luck happens but too many racers seem more concerned about the sunglasses that they wear when the helmet comes off. It is a difficult race because your body is pushed to the limit, problem is, most don't want to train accordingly, or for the case of most amateurs, they spend so much time looking for funds that training gets left behind. For mechanical failures, those 450cc have to be nurtured.

On the topic of professional/amateur
The Dakar has evolved, it is no longer the same race. The whole thing started in 1976 when the only way to make it was for racers to help each other. Then it got commercial, then grew grew and grew, now it is political. It is a great opportunity for factories to promote their brand, they spend millions and get coverage for it if they are in the top 5. I was surprised to see this year that racers had beds to sleep in the marathon stage! Tents are disappearing, motorhomes once frowned upon are coming. The race is evolving, the gap is getting wider between factories and amateurs. Perhaps in the near future we will see a separate classification, but then how do you really split a professional from an amateur?

On the topic of "is the race too hard this year?"
Next year, you will see more entries! The more impossible the more we want it. Perhaps the comment from Manny with the org accepting less skilled riders has something to do with this? ASO receives full entries each year, unless this change they will continue to manage the event (route, difficulties, withdrawals, route mods) to get to that magic stat number in the end. They do it the best they can and no one else manages such a big event with so much logistics. Mistakes happen, we are only people, nothing can ever be perfect.

The race is what it is, it is being offered to racers, if they chose to sign up they should know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #191
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
France 4 story on stage 5 hell.

Quote:

Someone posted a quote from a rider on stage 5. He saw an half naked rider wandering on the desert.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #192
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos from stage 6.

#23 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) [SHERCO]

#185 - MARCO ANTONIO SALDARRIAGA (COL) [KTM]

#75 - TROY O'CONNOR (AUS) [KTM]

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#38 - JEREMIAS ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) [SPEEDBRAIN]

plenty more for your enjoyment over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com has a bunch of photos for each stage that they're not showing in the main "photos" area... slightly hidden. enjoy!

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#17 - MICHAEL METGE (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#53 - PEDRO BIANCHI PRATA (PRT) [HUSQVARNA]

plenty more for your enjoyment over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #193
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Friterie and shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat
That is the co-pilot of the Friterie, who drove the bike for 30km, while the biker sat in the car to have a bit of rest.

Great story of people helping each other in the back of the field, and why the France4 coverage is great to watch

Romero Font Rosa holding the bag.........for ....the guy on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Few screens from F4.

He looked very shaken.

Smiling and relaxed.

Jordi giving Coma his wheel. Probably at todays NP.

Duclo. They've caught the Kinigardner referance.

Metge. He could be the bosses brother.

Quote:
Here is Thoomas fixing his bike in the desert yesterday!!

Go boy go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovoidious View Post
Coming from the USA - I love France 4 and the little specials they do on the trials and tribulations of DAKAR. They hit home and for us F5's, you can get a real sense of the exhaustion and effort these guys and gals go throw to compete in this race, let alone finish. Cudos for France 4...Just AWESOME!

Just makes you appreciate any finish of this race and the anyone who runs in it gets my highest respect!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #194
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
It's reattaching day and with a shortage of action, or maybe a chance to take a breath, I can give you a bit f an insight into day 3. Of course the summary makes things and distances sound short, which they certainly were not!

Into stage 3 Sam was running good and he felt good; as we know he opened day 3 after that great day 2 win and he had started well pulling 1 min 30 to the first refuel and then 2mins by km 211. - They then turned to go up the mountain, however his bike had no power because somehow his exhaust had got crushed under the footpeg!

It was an ascent up to over 4000m and Sam was having to run in first gear flat out and mainly pushing by the side of the bike, as there was just insufficient power being generated to ride it up the mountain.

Because of this he stumbled and fell many times - it was "so steep for so long" and when he finally arrived at the top he was absolutely exhausted and totally spent because of both the effort at altitude.

Quite a few guys had caught and gone past him by this time when he saw his "Brit mate" Ben Grabham go down the mountain to the left side. By now Sam's roadbook was out of sync because as he had focussed and put all of his effort getting to the top, so missed any recalibration.

He then followed Ben down down, assuming to be the right route and having no way of checking accurately!! - now, if he had watched Grabbo's video pre-Dakar he may have though twice about that, given that navigation was his area of least confidence !!

In his own words "that was pretty much the end of my race"

Once the error was realised he/they spent hours trying to get back up the ravine. Sam was completely and utterly exhausted because of the earlier effort to get up and of course the altitude they were at.

By then they had also found Faria who had taken the same route, he had passed out and had fallen off from from some sort of "stress/panic attack" there we some bad times Sam reported back - " it was really scary because he wasn't responding to us and we waited with him for the helicopter to come"

He finally got out of the ravine with Paulo, Javier (Pizzolito) and Grabbo and got to the bivouac.

There he changed oil and serviced the bike and everything was, or seemed ok, other than the exhaust.

The following day Sam started on the Liaison and after 10km the bike stopped, couldn't be restarted and that was basically that.... an early end to what was looking to be a very promising Dakar.

At 24 he will hopefully have more attempts and I for one seriously expect to see him raise that trophy above his head!

For now he is staying with the team until after the rest day at least, and we should see him home during the following week!

It sounded an awful and vicious stage for him, but one he endured through extraordinary and difficult circumstances, and I can guarantee that there would not have been many, if any, other guys out there who could have physically endured what Sam must have gone through to push and drag himself and his bike up and through the latter stages of phase 3.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #195
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I feel like I want to chip in here and share my experiences.

First of all, I want to express how sad I feel about the loss of another rider, it's something we never want to hear and has been too often of late. My sincere condolences go to all of Eric's family and friends

So, last year I successfully completed the Dakar Rally and to be honest (and I'll tell anyone this) it was easier than I expected from a technical riding point of view. Now, don't let that make you think it was easy, it wasn't, and you can make it harder by riding faster! We all different opinions and experiences on what is hard terrain, just like we all have different riding abilities, different physical abilities and different levels of ability to withstand discomfort. I just expected more difficult. Seeing this years race unfold to be what seems to be a more challenging one, only makes me want to be there more, to beat the ultimate challenge. Nonetheless, I am utterly content with what I achieved.

Preparation is key for this event, everything has to be lined up, everything has to work right including the rider and you need to know how to ride a bike at a reasonable pace, otherwise things will snowball fast. Anyone of you internet followers who thinks it looks like fun and would like a go, better get a serious long term training and racing regime in place or it will end in disappointment. It's not just about the rider either, we've seen a lot of mechanical breakdowns also. Don't underestimate how important the development work is that goes into the bikes to compete in these harsh conditions. The ability for the rider to overcome the unexpected is also paramount, look at Cyril this year and my fork leg repair . This is still the longest and most arduous race in the world and amateur or pro, don't expect an easy ride!

There were some tough days on 2013 and for me, the shortest was one of the toughest and most technical so I can concur with a comment Ned made earlier on. The road book on that day scrolled a lot slower than I would have liked.

For me the altitude experienced in South America last year at circa 15,000ft, was brutal. I could not practically train in that altitude so just had to deal with it and it sucked. I really struggled to stay focussed and also to stay healthy in terms of hydration and food (and for us it was on an unpaved liaison, not a special stage). I was physically sick, had to stop numerous times and had to dig really deep to make the bivouac. For me, this was the without doubt the hardest part of the rally and can you believe it wasn't even on a special!

Now onto hydration and nutrition and I feel I have real experience to share here, this is SERIOUS stuff and should not be glossed over. For the Dakar I'd read about it a bit before I went, understood what I needed to do and how I needed to be disciplined to stay on top of it. I always drank and ate lots in the morning before departing and ran with electrolytes in my camel pack, I even carried additional tablets for if I needed to fill my camel pack at a fuel point. I'd also try to eat shot blocks or energy bars at stops. In training I got used to calibrating how much to drink depending on how far there was to go and how much I had left in my camel back so as not to run out while riding as that would have been a distraction. I also filled up at any opportunity, I'd never be sorry to have too much. On return to the bivouac each night I would drink at least a litre of recovery shake and eat lots again. I bet I consumed at least 8 to 10 litres of water a day (ish).

So, I got through the Dakar but this year I have had two really bad experiences and neither of which were due to ignorance. I think some people watching the television and seeing people being recovered from seriously dehydrated conditions but have never experienced it, probably wonder "why do they let themselves get that way, why don't they just drink more"....it's really not that straight forward.

Early in the year I was out training on a regular run aiming for 13 miles. It was a particular hot day and I had had a busy week at home / work. I set out to do a personal best and was on course for that. I'd taken on water at regular intervals and was feeling good right up to the 8 mile mark where I started to have to dig deep. I made the 10 mile point but after that the only way I have of telling what was going in was by looking at the download from my running watch. I had pushed my body so hard that it went into meltdown, kidney failure and the lot.

I knew I was finding it tough but I was chasing the goal of a personal best, I just kept saying "push through the pain Lyndon", much like a lot of the riders must have to do on the Dakar. Your inner desire to get to the end and achieve what you set out to achieve can see you push yourself beyond your own limits. We should not underestimate the power of the human mind to push through boundaries. I never thought I could push myself to the point of no return but I did. I owe my life to a few very special people who were first on the scene and the paramedics thereafter. 5 days in hospital gave me time to think, a lot. I had done nothing different to what I normally do, the only difference being the conditions (hotter) and the fact I was pushing myself for a faster time, two of the classic variables that we see influencing riders on the Dakar.

The second was later this year, in the Merzouga Rally where I got food poisoning which drained everything I had. I still tried to ride because I did not want to give up but this very nearly ended in disaster for me. I got so disorientated I had to stop the bike on the piste, I could not navigate or concentrate any more. I sat next to the bike, in the shade and seriously thought my time was up. I only had 20km remaining of the stage. This time, a fellow rider stopped and encouraged me to follow him in. I really struggled but made the bivouac. Again, an experience triggered from an outside influence that I could not train for.

I know this is a long winded post, and I probably was not considering sharing these experiences with the internet but you know what, it's life and I think it's important to share these sometimes to make people understand how dangerous and close to the edge it can get. We should not underestimate what these guys and girls are going through.

I did have a tear in my eye writing some of that, especially as it really hits home how close and lucky I was. Reading of others who did not get so lucky makes me sad

Anyway, it is rest day and the riders can have a little time to recover and replenish and this is the "coolest fucking race" so we shall continue to follow and enjoy the events that unfold. Rest day for LPR 2013.....

Oh and here's one to compete with Manny, I got seriously distracted at this fuel station

Lyndon

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread