Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #196
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I have put together a brief summary of the first week, together with a look forward to the second half on the Jennydakar.com Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JennyDakar - and would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone here on the F5irehose for providing such a rapid (and usually accurate!) source of information, thorough analysis (mostly), and of course, priceless speculation!

"Dakar Day 7 (Rest Day - Salta) and 1st week review: Rest day cannot have come soon enough for everyone on Dakar this year - amateurs and pros alike, particularly in the bike category. Of my initial featured riders (mainly privateers), sadly all of them have had to withdraw, either through mechanical failure, injury, or timing out on what has been described as one of the hardest routes ever on the Dakar Rally.

Even the pros are not immune - with a resurgence in factory teams taking part, coupled with worldwide media coverage to billions of people, the big guns are out to grab headlines - and inevitable pushing hard from day one is going to result in casualties. Fortunately many have been able to walk away (or at least walk to the helicopter), but others have needed more intensive care and repatriation to their home countries. It has been a brutal first half to the race.

The last two days (Stage 5 & 6) have been particularly severe, with high altitude and searing temperatures well over 100°F compounding the stress on already weakened bodies. For example, Gilbert Escalé - one of two young (20 year old) Spanish twin brothers riding together in Dakar for the first time crashed particularly severely into a cravass and had to be airlifted out. His brother Oriol on hearing the news tried to continue on, but subsequently withdrew to support his brother in intensive care. Fortunately we can report that Gilbert is out of danger now.

Other riders struggled on throughout the day with failing machinery, personal dehydration, and the ever present risk of fire - and a number of cases where dry vegetation was getting tangled in their bikes and acting as kindling.

Sadly this year has already suffered one competitor fatality - 11 time Dakar entrant and Malle Moto rider #122 Eric Palante, who was an extremely experienced participant, was found early on Friday morning having failed to reach the end of the stage the day before. Stage 5 had also claimed the lives of two journalists who were following the event, when their vehicle left the road and crashed.

With over 50% of the motorcycle entrants now withdrawn - and not least many of the podium and top-ten contenders now out of the race, it is expected that the second half of the rally may offer some respite.

However, the Motos will still have to contend a second 'Marathon' stage starting right after rest-day tomorrow, with an overnight at high altitude in Uyuni, Bolivia (while the Autos and Trucks race a loop stage out of Salta, Argentina), and the rally organisation are on record as saying Stage 11 (Antofagasta to San Salvador, Chile) is likely to prove one of the toughest Dakar stages ever.

So for part 2 of Dakar 2014, these are the riders I'll be following:

#92 Mike Johnson - US privateer is the only remaining American rider in the rally this year - he has been struggling with electrical problems throughout the first half of the race, but is showing strong resolve and resilience.

#50 Laia Sanz - While the Factory HRC riders have all suffered from mechanical problems, injury and even their bikes catching fire!, Laia who is riding one of the 'customer' CRF450 Rally machines this year has had a reasonably uneventful rally so far, and has proved consistent with regular stage finishes in the top 20. If she maintains this pace, I am certain we will see her on a full factory bike in 2015.

#67 Robert Van Pelt - at just 20 years old, Robert is the youngest competitor on the Dakar this year, and similarly was the youngest ever in 2012, where he finished his first event in 47th position overall. Robert is currently sitting just outside the top 20 overall, and finished a spectacular 7th on stage earlier in the week. This is even more impressive when you consider he is riding in the Malle Moto (unassisted) category - one to watch for the future I'm sure!

#259 Camelia Laparoti - Camelia is one of very few female quad riders in rally-raid, and has consistently finished the Dakar in the top 15 in the past four years. She has been riding a steady race this year, and is on target for her 5th finishers medal.

We of course wish all the remaining competitors the best of luck, those injured a speedy and full recovery, and offer the sincerest condolences to all those who have suffered bereavement this past week."

Jx

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #197
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by capo sakke View Post
pos. N° name mark time variation penalty
42 #117 meeru (est) honda 31:32:37 08:24:37 01:00:00
65 #133 triisa (est) honda 39:52:40 16:44:40 02:15:00

on stage 5 tom have problems with famous honda ignition coil after wp 3. He changes the coil and continues. That help for a while afterwards it recur and he must wait and cool down the engine top of coil issues he run short of engine oil but get it more from some competitor. His engine failed completely 5kms before the end of ss5. He pushed the bike towards the end of stage until he reached another biker who was out of gas. Tom gave him gas and he towed tom to finish line. The engine was changed overnight while tom took a nap of 1 hour before heading for ss6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
“dakar must be a race for few people, dakar is a dream, the dream of the rose lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over”

fabrizio,

gone, but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
small correction capo. Toomas didn't run out of gas. His engine failed completely 5kms before the end of ss5. He pushed the bike towards the end of stage until he reached another biker who was out of gas. Tom gave him gas and he towed tom to finish line. The engine was changed overnight while toomas took a nap of 1 hour before heading for ss6.

Toomas triisa #133 working on his bike in the middle of stage5 @ 0:35 (i failed to embed the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-l1jfookzo

i really like france 4 for covering the amateur side of dakar. Too bad i can't understand a word.
Go estonian dakar team #117 mart meeru and #133 toomas triisa

really sorry for eric, ride in peace man. I hope you meet meoni out there and you'll have one helluva ride together with many others we've lost...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coak View Post
thanks goto moto,

i've used your data to calculate the number of finishers to starters as a %.
Data is combined (ie data pre 2007 includes cars & trucks) but it still gives a good indicator as to the difficulty of each of the years.

Year starters finishers % finished
1979 182 74 41% all competitors
1980 216 81 38% all competitors
1981 291 91 31% all competitors
1982 385 127 33% all competitors
1983 385 123 32% all competitors
1984 427 148 35% all competitors
1985 552 146 26% all competitors
1986 486 100 21% all competitors
1987 539 124 23% all competitors
1988 603 151 25% all competitors
1989 473 209 44% all competitors
1990 465 133 29% all competitors
1991 406 174 43% all competitors
1992 332 169 51% all competitors
1993 153 67 44% all competitors
1994 259 114 44% all competitors
1995 205 103 50% all competitors
1996 295 121 41% all competitors
1997 280 141 50% all competitors
1998 349 104 30% all competitors
1999 297 110 37% all competitors
2000 401 225 56% all competitors
2001 358 141 39% all competitors
2002 425 132 31% all competitors
2003 490 186 38% all competitors
2004 595 163 27% all competitors
2005 688 215 31% all competitors
2006 475 193 41% all competitors
2007 511 300 59% all competitors
2008 cancelled
2009 212 113 53% bikes only
2010 176 88 50% bikes only
2011 170 94 55% bikes only
2012 178 97 54% bikes only
2013 183 125 68% bikes only
2014* 174 83 48% bikes only
* current as per the rest day 11th jan 2014

recent years (2007 onwards) seem to indicate an increased number of finishers which could be perceived as the rally being 'easier' during these years. 2013 in particular had a fairly low attrition rate (at least for the bikes) so no doubt why the organisers have probably decided it's time to have another 'tough one', to ensure the 'dream' stays alive...

Cheers,
coak
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #198
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroova View Post
Nice footage from Stage 5. Although in polish, but with some acrobatics in the sand that I didn't see elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #199
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

David Batalla, del equipo Gas-Gas Epsilon, durante la sexta etapa.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #200
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Salta weather: Looks like rain and thunderstorms all day today and into tomorrow morning.

Quote:

Organization's pilots and TV cameramen are already scheduling the Bolivian stage
What do you read from there faces, ..........(the one at the end of the table)..........................watch the map.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #201
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #202
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Just caught up after having to work yesterday , reading in three different points on the thread sometime gets a bit messy.

Great info from Ned and Pyndon and all you other Dakar veterans on what these guys are going through. Plenty of saving to notebook going on here

Update on Super Allan. #165

Allan Roberts FB

"It's insane! There are the top ten or so in a race as for the rest of us it's a fight, a fight for survival. Today's stage was relatively 'easy' compare to the past 4, if you call going around bends with 100 meter sheer cliffs, rocks on the road, many river crossings and of course dust. I had a good day, only hitting a rock in a creek that saw me with wet gloves after I fell but in here in Salta for a rest day tomorrow.
It has been grueling beyond belief, yesterday was madness in the desert, at one point I had a fire in the bash plate as already mentioned but managed to put it out quickly, goncalves not so lucky with his honda.
The days are long, but the bike is taking what ever I head it towards-it's strong and it will get me to the finish line as I will get her there as well.
There are some wild stories that go on out there, yesterday I came across a rider in the middle of the river bed, he'd crashed, I stopped picked him up and got his bike off the path as he got his breath and then another rider, an Argentinian crashed right there-at about 100 k's an hour, now I helped him up, he was hurt and picked his bike up, I then rode on-it's bloody tough, on stage 3 there were broken bikes and people everywhere, they are trying to break us but I will not be beaten.
Also I am a national hero if Poland. On the marathon stage overnight I gave my rear wheel to Kuba Prygonski, he is a factory KTM rider, he's running in the top ten. I was interviewed on TV in Poland, they love me! And then for the trouble KTM gave me a whole factory rim with bib moose and tire on it for the trouble, and my old one back....that's the Dakar.
Many other things to tell but it will have to wait. I appreciate the support, it helps, it gives me energy which is hard to come by out here, as you all are day by day I am willing myself to the end. "

Rest day he also said he'd had a very good sleep

Rik his mechanic working on the bike today.

and with that I'm off for a run and then load the bikes into the van for a day at the motocross track with my ten year old son and then hopefully the beach with my daughter.. (should be allowed to take the bikes to the beach eh !)

Enjoy the rest day everyone thank you so much for all your input into this amazing once a year thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
After I read about the fall from 5 meters I looked back at some video footage and stitched this camera pan together. A little blurry because it was a fast pan.

Going over that edge at speed Chaleco is one tough hombre!

More Dakar heartbreak

Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #203
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
http://www.diariouno.com.ar/ovacion/...0111-0067.html

Bing translation:

"Dropouts are more than those who had thought"

David Castera, sports director of Dakar and in charge of drawing the paths of the rally, confessed that not imagined "that were going to have some early so hard"."The Dakar is a difficult test," he said.

David Castera, director sports of Dakar and head draw the paths of the rally, had anticipated that the sixth edition of the South American would be the most difficult but not entered in its calculations, accomplished the first week, only 40 percent of competitors continue in career.

"I could not imagine that we were going to have some hard early. The truth is that it rained much and that complicated things with cuts on the way, broken roads and the other issue that complicated everything was the heat,"said Castera.

This man who once acknowledged that he feels satisfied when a pilot insults him "because that means that the stage was good", says now that the initial difficulty designed by the organizers joined him "incredible temperatures' coming in the fifth stage to range between 47 and 49 degrees.

For Castéra "Dakar is a difficult test but need balance: is not good to end with just 10 runners." We should not be selective".

"But the Dakar is a difficult test that requires physical, moto, head, many things, and keep them all. That is missing may not terminate. Same, dropouts are more than those who had thought,"added.

Castera said that during the six years the Dakar in South America, a combination of factors was present to harden the stages, not only the number of kilometers. The 2014 will be the most extensive in kilometer run rally since the competition changed continent.

In this sense, sport director stressed that in designing the route was taken into account "Interleave different types of terrain", as happened in these six stages contested.

"We are more near what we've done in Morocco, with roads with lot of stone, less rapid and more complicated, which means that the pilot will fight more, will be more time in the vehicle. All this creates more difficulties", summarized

In Chile, instead, "we are not going to have such high temperatures and when we get to Calama surely will be cooler, with 25 degrees, never more than 30, and close to the sea. They are best known land,"remarked Castéra.

As every first week, French spoke with the press to take stock of the competition, although this time the death of the pilot of motorcycles, the Belgian Eric Palante, found Friday on a road in the fifth stage race, flew over the talk.

"Always do self-critical of what could have gone wrong, what needs to be improved, because if we do not move, but for me today is not the day to do it." Perhaps for you Yes, but must await the end of the Dakar,"apologized.

However, the sports director rejected complaints about the road-book (book of roads): "is made by men and may have errors, but tends to be very tight. Checkpoints on Thursday were almost perfect but it is also very difficult for pilots to accept that they are wrong and always attributed the failure to the road-book. 10 Years ago I do this job and am accustomed,"has resigned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Hope no-one minds me posting this

Nine years ago we lost Fabrizio Meoni on the Dakar. Once you have seen footage of Fabrizio blasting through the desert sands on a 950 Adventure, you will never forget ....................

At the time it was not common knowledge that he was personally supporting a school in Dakar and his work has been carried on by the Fabrizo Meoni Foundation

http://www.fondazionefabriziomeoni.i...izio_meoni.php

Cyril Despres published a book covering his (at the time) 4 Dakar victories and all the profits from the book go to supporting the work started by Fabrizio - I have a copy and can strongly recommend it as an essential item for any Dakar fan's bookshelf.

The book can be purchased here http://www.cyrildespres-shop.com/default.asp?pgflngid=1

Take a look - it's for a good cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Sebastian Loeb checking the SMG Buggy
Team Red Bull SMG had the very special guest on the day off. ‘The Boss’ checks the insides of the buggy during the service operation. Is Loeb thinking about riding Dakar 2015 in the SMG monster? Goodness knows...
© Marcelo Maragni / Red Bull Content Pool

Carlos Sainz smokin´ through a curve
Carlos Sainz has to catch up quite a bit to end up in the top ranks, so has no chance to be gentle to the fans. Even if those had to eat some dirt from the Red Bull SMG Buggy, they for sure have a shoot to remember. Looks like our shooter Marcelo is a pro having a great shoot without getting dusty.

Mr. Despres has eye contact with our photographer
Former Champion Cyril Despres finished with a solid 5th on Stage 6 and is placed 11th Overall half way through the Dakar. To be back on top the Frenchman has to catch up at least 2,5 hours in the next days.

Quote:
Bing tranlation:
http://formosa.tuformosa.com/noticia...medium=twitter

Dakar 2014, extreme: five drivers are in a Tucumán hospital

De Souza, the Frenchman Alain Germet, Spaniards are Dario July Gilbert climbed and Enric Marti Flix, and Argentina's Adrian Yacopini.

Five drivers who are participating in the Rally Dakar 2014 are hospitalized in a hospital in the Tucumán capital, various injuries suffered during the fifth leg between Chilecito, La Rioja and Tucumán.

Athletes are in the Padilla hospital and are out of danger.

One of the wounded is the Brazilian pilot Dario Julio De Souza, who competes in the moto Honda No. 37, and that should be transferred from the track of the London aerodrome, in Catamarca. De Souza suffered a cardiac arrest and a clavicle fracture. It is stable.

In addition, the Frenchman Alain Germet, driving a KTMmotorbike, suffered head trauma and cervical with loss of consciousness. In the last hours, he regained consciousness.

Another wounded is the Spanish rider Gilbert climbed, who ran with a Suzuki bike with the number 97 and is boarding school therapy internsiva.

In addition, the mendocino Adrian Yacopini, who was driving a BMW X 3, is interned and left the competition.

The other pilot boarding school is the Spanish Enric Marti Flix, which ran in a 450 EC Raid Gas Gas and the JVO Racing team

Quote:
Esta tarde, diluvio universal así que aquí me tenéis haciendo el roadbook en la habitación del camión

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide View Post
So this is Enric Marti Flix of the JVO Gas Gas team suffering from heat. Shows just how bad it can be. He also has a lot of pre-existing black and blue bruising from falls? The rider helping him is Gerard Farres Guell and he is showing as a withdrawal. Why did Farres withdrawal? <-- EDIT: I see Farres listed in the Cliff Notes thread as a bike fire. Bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
CDP's FB:

The rest day is part of the Dakar tradition but it is also something of a euphemism. All over the bivouac the mechanics are flat out rebuilding the bikes while the riders are kept busy sorting out their equipment, treating their blisters and bruises and doing interviews. At 14h00 the road book for tomorrow will be issued and then at 18h00 there will be the briefing. If they are lucky they might at least get an early night. And they will need it as tomorrow they will start the first day of the marathon stage at 4h30 in the morning!

Cyril Despres

"Well it hasn’t been such an easy first week for anybody. The organisers promised us a tough rally and they have more than kept that promise, with a lot of riders, including some of the very best, already out of the race. The fact that we are new team with a new bike has made the challenge even tougher and we’ve had a couple of problems that have cost us precious time and currently I’m 11th overall at 2h24 from the leader. If my analysis is correct, the second week is going to be even tougher and from my point of view that’s good news. Right now I really don’t know how far I will be able to move up the rankings but if the second week is anything like the first then pretty much anything could happen. The ‘charm’ of the Dakar is that nobody knows the result until the end of the very last stage. What I do know is that I will give everything I’ve got all the way to the end. I’m a racer - that’s the only way I know."

Michael Metge

"I’m obviously disappointed with Cyril’s position. My job is to help him, so if he’s having a hard time I feel the same emotion. One of the many things that has impressed me this week though has been his motivation and his belief in himself. He never gives up and always keeps pushing. For my part I’ve really felt the benefit of all the training I did in the months leading up to the rally. This time last year I was feeling pretty exhausted, but this year, despite the difficult of the race so far, I feel on top form and more than ready for what is to come. That for sure has had an impact on my mental state because I also feel really positive. Cyril has had an important role to play there as well. With just a few well-chosen words he helps me find the right pace and the right attitude."

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Ullevalseters bike is now retrieved and back in bivouac.
ICO's, CAP-repeater etc. seem OK.

Only front fairing missing. Probably souvenir on somebodys wall over there.

Photo by Vladimir Kusnier ( inmate "690rr" ), at present team mechanic with the Speedbrain Team.
Quote:
NO VAPOR lock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudaRo
translation by Google:
Quote:
The Portuguese biker Paulo Goncalves, world champion all-terrain, on Saturday criticized the organization of the Dakar rally, which folded by subjecting pilots to pilots extremas.Vários conditions hallucinated due to heat.

"In a day of rest in the toughest race of engines in the world, it is impossible to deviate attention from the fateful fifth stage. Heat reached unthinkable limits (47 ° C) and left marks", began by saying Paulo Gonçalves, recalling the death of Belgian Eric Pallas, suspected to have been caused by extreme heat and dehydration.

According to the Portuguese biker, unlike Pallas, other pilots asked for help to the organization, being rescued by helicopter, "almost fainting, with high temperatures."

"But after the tragedy, come the most unusual reports.'s That several drivers had hallucinations," said Gill.

According to the World Champion of all-terrain, some after issuing the alert, if protected from the heat with the clothes and waited, while others, when teams were achieved by the organization of the Dakar, "spoke and greeted the people imaginary audience ... "reveals the Lusa agency.

"The strangest case was a pilot, that the organization does not reveal the name, which ran about 500 meters. When was 'rescued' said he was running from aliens, that came to pursuing" reported.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliviabob View Post
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #204
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #205
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Here are a few minutes of bike footage this year I put together in one video. I'll do a part II and III, then a couple of videos on the cars and trucks.

2013 Dakar Motorcycles 1 from Mike Hinds on Vimeo.

Oops, that's supposed to say "2014" not 2013

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #206
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Posting a few pics from my friend's FB page. He is following the Dakar2014 all the way till the end. These are all old pics, but probably from a different pespective - that of a spectator following the Juggernaut.

"Helicopter chase is on as they try to catch Marc Coma in action! He was 160 + at this point" - the 160+ is astounding after you see the terrain. Its not flat open desert but rocky riverbed !!

His words - "Chatting with Quin cody before the start of second special of Day 6 after the DZ zone....He said he so wanted to do it on bikes but coudn't get a sponsor in time, so he's doing navigation for B.J. Baldwain. They are by far the fastest car in Dakar but if keeps breaking down everyday. What a shame."

Not an action pic, but i know you wont object

Pedro at the start line

Team Mongolia Damdinkhorloo Boldbaatar (did i get it right Neil ? - typed it without looking)

thanks to Nick Sarao for the pics.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #207
Flood OP
F5lood.

SS7 Salta-Uyuni is a 400km marathon stage, crossing into Bolivia. High altidtude, tricky navigation in the mountains are what the remaining 85 riders have to expect today.

The stage is opened by Sherco's Alain Duclos, followed by Coma, Metge, Barreda and Despres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
assuming the diagrams are reasonable accurate and they haven't changed the course too much, here are the estimated WP locations:

position distance
WP1 31
WP2 70
WP3 106
WP4 151
WP5 179
WP6 216
WP7 234
WP8 242
WP9 248
WP10 271
WP11 360
F/A 401

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #208
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
I'm here, just been preparing the average speed spreadsheet i've been doing.

Looks like the mean altitude is something like 3700m

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
SS7 start is delayed due to fog. Helicopters are grounded.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #209
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Here is an audio clip with Brett Cummings talking about the rest day and Eric. You can hear he is is extremely focused on his race.

https://soundcloud.com/rallyerider/r...t-with/related

Some pics from his fb page rallyerider:

Engine mounting on Day 2.

After a tumble (nothing serious apparentely)

after a tough Stage 4, needed a drip

Brett lost his fuel cap on Day 2. Here was the fix.

Malle moto
#StrocamMining KTM gets a service after Stage 2

the #MalleMoto bivouac in Salta on the Rest Day. The #StrocamMining KTM is going strong

#MalleMoto tools to service the #StrocamMining KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
Dakar.com:

The modified course only affects the motorcycles and quads, since the cars and trucks are not going to Uyuni, Bolivia. The special will start from CP3 (km 103), just before the border, near the city of La Quiaca. This means the first part of the special will be 130 kilometres long instead of the original 232.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post

Uyuni Podium
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro10 View Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #210
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Cáfe presidente.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Week one over... some recovery and rebuild opportunities on the rest day and now start off on week two with another marathon stage.

Has Dave Castera and ASO served up the toughest DAKAR since the move to South America...? Well on the merits of week one alone - so far it's a fair question.

Will it be the toughest ever? Hard to day definitively and impossible to compare objectively (apples and apples, changing times, conditions etc.).

One thing though (PS great statistics on the previous editions for comparisons sake that Coak & Co. put together) and that is, if the withdrawal trend of week one continues (procentually), it could well be amongst the lowest finisher percentage ever.*

And on saturday, while I was off riding, and contemplating WHAT factors may have contributed to this?

1. The organisation said from the outset this DAKAR was going to be tougher, longer percentage off specials, lomger specials (marathon stages) and even more technical terrain. Castera has delivered on this point.

2. I beleive Manny gave us the inside line, that in the "acceptance" process (for motos at least) consideration was given to many amatuer/rookie riders who previosly had applied and been passed over, were given start numbers for this year? That may well contribute to a certain amount of the carnage on the days 2 thru 5 as a result of relative "unpreparedness" as a percentage of the field as a whole?

3. The "go fast factor" Since about Marocco, we here at the ADV/F5 collective, have been contemplating that the 2014 Dakar Moto starting line up was possible the fastest, deepest talent, most competitive, biggest cross section of factory team participants etc. etc. The quality of riders in the "elite" top 30 was remarkable, even go so far as to say amongst the top 50 you have riders who excell in their respective nations in various form of off road competition.

Fuel this with the fact that HRC, Yamaha, KTM, Sherco, Speedbrain and Gas Gas all have top 10 caliber riders on their staff... and it was all bets on the table that the "pace" would be a cracker from day one. And it was.

This (as I read from someone earlier while rolling thru the f5irehose) probably force the hand of even the seasoned riders to "push" more than in the recent editions? It certainly has been more than just the "Cyril & Marc show" with supporting cast... as rally raid has tended often to be these last five or six years.

So far Dakar 2014 has delivered exhaustion - both physical, mental and mechanical during week one... week two starts now...
Quote:
Chavoooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
It's the Bolivian altiplano, it's rare not to freeze your ass off there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Found the ASO background images of today, they are from the salar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Better late then never, was out for a while

WP1 @ 33km
WP2 @ 71km
CP1/WP3 @ 104km (customs)
WP4 @ 151km
WP5 @ 179km
WP6 @ 218km
Start Neutralisation @ 232km
WP7/End Neutralisation/refuel @ 240km
WP8 @ 250km
WP9 @ 272km
WP10 @ 311km
WP11 @ 355km
ASS @ 401km

According to map:
WP5 : Start neutralisation @ 232
WP6 : End neutralisation @ 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
dakar.com
Absent from this morning's tracking, Joan Barreda appears to be leading the motorcycle pack at km 195. Since he started fourth, behind Duclos, Coma and Metge, this would also put him in the lead of today's stage. We will find out more when he finishes this sector in a few minutes' time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Why is it the best live footage I've seen yet is coming from Bolivia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriba Tupiza!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
They're going ballistic on that feed, Luv it
Sounded like Salvatierra was winning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
To our Bolivian friends:

Well done.

For all that it cost to make this event happen, the effort is paying off. This kind of national image going out to the world is the best any could ever want.

Please pass on to your fellow countrymen a congratulations from Canada.
Quote:

Quote:
Barreda waiting to leave the refuel stop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
GOOD ON BOLIVIA!

CHACHACHACHACHA.......CHAVO RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrIBA!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
14:11 Bikes: Km 170: Barreda in front of Coma?
Joan Barreda, still absent from the tracking system, appears to continue ahead of Marc Coma, who is 1'22' ahead of Cyril Despres, 2'27' ahead of Kuba Przygoński‎, and 4'44' ahead of Hélder Rodrigues. Juan Pedredo García clings on to his top 5 spot.
13:04 Bikes: Finish 1: Barreda flexes his muscles
Spain's Joan Barreda Bort (Honda) has dominated the first part of the special, beating Marc Coma by 4'27' and Juan Pedrero García by 4'51'. Cyril Despres sits in fourth, 5'48' back. Alain Duclos has lost time in spades and is now 16'21' behind the leader.

Got that one now Flood - I was still seeing 13.04

Closed Thread