Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

098 - STEPHANE HAMARD (FRA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Sorry guys.. I have been away for a while... But lurking now and then...

Will try to apologies to the F5 community with a couple of funny stories from the only Italian bikers left in the race:

Paolo Ceci managing his thirst:
"It was at the end of the fifth stage's special. I was really thirsty and the water in my camel bag was already finished. <...> At a certain point I caught the reflection of a bottle of Coca Cola from a hundred meters away. It was in the hands of a guy in the middle of other spectators. It was icy cold, I could see the little drops on the bottle's surface. So I thought "That must be mine!". I went in that direction with the bike and all. I stopped in front of this guy with the bottle in his hands, and without saying a word I snatched it and drank. I emptied the bottle, all at once without even breathing. It felt like the best Coca Cola in my life!"
He is currently riding with an injured hand from the fourth stage and basically he's doing water carrier for Chavo!
Translated from: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/337...non-si-arrende

Luca Viglio gotta love Bolivia:
"I was at refurbishing in the city and all the people gathered around me, asking where I am from, my name and a lot of information about me. I kept answering all these people and then "the ritual" of making pictures with them, their relatives, friends, ecc. Once all the tanks were filled I went to the guy of the gas station to pay but he answered "You owe me nothing, they payed for you" It was an emotional moment with all these people that wanted to thank me for the time I spent with them. So I started the bike and greeted everyone and when I screamed "Viva Bolivia!" the crowd literally exploded!"
<...>
Before getting at the end of the stage Luca stopped a few times to regain strenght since the last days have been very stressing for him [he basically rode the last two marathon stages with only his third, fourth and fifth gear]. During one of these break he was feeling really "down" and really tired. He was hanging to the handlebar of his Beta when a Bolivian lady gently touched his shoulder. He turned and she stood there with a big smile, then without saying a word she gave him a very small bolivian flag as a gift."This gesture so simple and in the meantime so full of meanings had me regaining strength instantly. I wish I would hugged and kissed that lady, but I started and got back to the stage instead, with my "batteries" completely recharged"
Translated from: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/338...fosi-boliviani

By the way... He is in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Alain Duclos

Thank you!
After attacking the day's stage the knife between his teeth while he was in the lead bike of the stage and general engine problem which unfortunately forced Alain abandoned. He got pulled over several miles by a teammate, but familiar with the now legendary arrival at Iquique with its steep descent and large dunes above to have it made ​​in 2011, do not tow in this sector .. . A rolling one that already is a big piece. Big disappointment, but the Dakar as they say. Congratulations to Alain Duclos [Official] for its superb performance since the start of the Dakar particularly difficult and the team CrocoAventures Sherco Rally Raid that made us vibrate and dream every day. Good luck to Team riders still in the race and I'm sure the beautiful prototype developed by the team will continue to evolve for the next edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post

Quote:
Hmmm... an interesting approach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
There was some discussion a few pages back on CdP's lack of outstanding performance this year and much speculation on the Yamaha. Jenny made a comment saying that he is simply being strategic. That got me thinking so I plotted the top ten to see what might happen if things keep progressing the way they have been for the last few stages. Below is a plot of variations from the leader's time by stage. I left out Coma and Bort as they both still have an hour lead over positions three and beyond. What is remarkable is that Cyril (orange line) has lost very little time from the leader after stage 5 while everybody else continues to climb in variation. Given a few more stages with the same result he will likely pass Prygonski, Rodrigues, and Pain. Esquerre is in the crosshairs too. That would put him in fourth place at the end. Anything happens to Coma, Bort, or Viladoms in the last three stages and Cyril is on the podium. Sly bastard.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #242
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos from stage 7.

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]

#38 - JEREMIAS ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) [SPEEDBRAIN]

#14 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG) [HONDA]

#50 - LAIA SANZ (ESP) [HONDA]

lots more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.
Quote:
Dakar.com photos from stage 8.

#303 - CARLOS SAINZ (ESP) / TIMO GOTTSCHALK (DEU) [SMG]

#302 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU) [TOYOTA]

#300 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA) [MINI]

lots more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #243
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, most from stages 7 & 8.

#15 - KUBA PRZYGONSKI (POL) [KTM]

#40 - JUAN CARLOS SALVATIERRA (BOL) [SPEEDBRAIN]

#103 - XAVIER DE SOULTRAIT (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#64 - LAURENT LAZARD (URY) [KTM]

#46 - PABLO RODRIGUEZ (ARG) [HONDA]

lots more where these came from... over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose

Quote:
Dakar.com photos from stage 9.

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

many more photos over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
I hope they placed the WP's a bit more accurate for stage 10, but it will give you something to start:

WP1 @ 28km
WP2 @ 60km
WP3 @ 78km
WP4 @ 91km
CP1 @ 108km
CP2 @ 122km
WP5 @ 147km
WP6 @ 169km
WP7/Start neutralisation/refuel @ 231km
WP8/End neutralisation/refuel @ 416km
WP9 @ 472km
WP10 @ 517km
WP11 @ 565km
CP3/WP12 @ 615km
ASS @ 631km
Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #244
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
Quote:
part 2 stage 9

there is also stage 8 part 1/2 and part of stge 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Don't often get to see all the guts anymore. Cyril's bike, rest day.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #245
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Good morning

Engine penalties:

This morning Jordi Viladoms is finally getting his 15' after reporting KTM woud change his engine two days ago.

So, we have no idea when the change took place and how long it takes before the penalty is shown in the standings.

Besides Viladoms, of the front 10, only Pain has an engine change penalty (since Stage 6 IIRC). Barreda got a 15 min penalty yesterday but it is a speeding one.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #246
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Couple of updates from Allan Roberts #165 from his FB group for the last two days.

"Allan Roberts" - stage 8

I'm on the bivouac-or should I say sand storm, I rode the 230 liaison with Shane Diener, it was long and boring. I had a mixed day-I was going well but at CP 1 after refuelling I notice fuel coming from my rear tank, I had to go, so I used up the rear first but the leak was at the hose fitting so on the fast sections when the throttle was wide open I was also sucking air so I would have to switch to the front tanks, I did this back and forward for the 230 k's to CP 2, after that the front tanks would have enough once filled again to take me to the Chilean border-the finish, I lost some time but I think the altitude did not affect me as much and I managed to make good time. It was a long SS-it was extended to 500k's so now I'm pretty warn out. It was fast but requiring loads of concentration and following the road book perfectly, avoiding the hundreds and hundreds of cautions which would end it in a second. We have some very long SS coming up. I have yet to check tomorrow's road book which will be marked soon, one day at a time.

This next one after the last stage.

"Allan Roberts"- Stage 9

My rally nearly ended today, I lost my rear wheel nut at about km 180. I truly thought it was over, then along came fellow Aussie Troy O'Conner, i asked him if he had a wheel nut and the answer was YES. I lost some time but thats fine I'm still in. It was another gruelling intense day with the last 40 kms of massive dunes.
Im tired, my body is very tired-just need to get through the next 3 days, they are very long and a lot of it in the dunes, and the Atacama desert.
And then the last day is hopefully a walk in the park.
I must finish this

Seems like his Karma earned by giving Przygonski his rear wheel has come back to help him.

We're all willing him on here , If you could too that would be great !
Tough Tough

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #247
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Israel Esquerre, 2nd at WP3, is out after colliding with a spectator's vehicle. Jeremias is injured, but OK, according to ASO.
Meanwhile, Despres is still opening and navigating for Coma and the rest. Barreda is quickest, followed by Helder. Looks like a great stage for Chavo!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #248
Flood OP
F5lood.

Correction from ASO re:Jere Israel

it turns out jeremías israel esquerra did not crash with a car after all. Instead, he hit a rocky outcrop as he was riding with joan barreda on a narrow section of the course.

dakar.com

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #249
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
"Dakar Rally director Etienne Lavigne turns away from the cloud of dust kicked up as KTM rider Riaan Van Niekerk of South Africa rides past him during the fifth stage from Chilecito to Tucuman, on January 9, 2014. (Reuters/Jean-Paul Pelissier)"

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #250
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Despres moving up?

• 13:50 Bikes: Despres vs Przygoński

456 km into today's stage, Cyril Despres is getting closer and closer to sixth overall. Seventh-placed Jakub Przygoński, 2 h 23'33' down at the end of yesterday's stage, moved up one spot due to the withdrawal of Jeremías Israel Esquerre. Despres needs to gain 4'40' on the Pole to overtake him, and he has taken back 3'20' so far. Will he pull it off?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #251
Flood OP
F5lood.

Carlos Sainz just tweeted; El Matador is out!

Carlos Sainz ‏@CSainz_oficial 1m
Malas noticias. Al ir justos de gasolina nos hemos desviado en el enlace para poner gasolina y hemos tenido un accidente. Fuera de carrera.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #252
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
From Alain Duclos

Hello everyone,

I'm sitting back in the motorhome , train ride south on the Panamericana ( the road that runs along the west coast of South America) . It was the Pacific Ocean to our right and the Andes to the left. I try to appreciate the beauty of these landscapes and " far, but it's probably still a little early ...

Yesterday, CP 1, I had taken 5 min Viladoms and was therefore returned 3rd overall.
I leave the rally in this place without ever leaving the Top 5 during the 9 days of racing ( 13 !) . Despite the most noted of these last 5 years shelf !

I will remember many things of this adventure.
Firstly, the great enthusiasm and momentum of sympathy that prompted the performance of our "small" team! I received articles from around the world , and I realize gradually the feat we have achieved .

Then, having reached a significant milestone . I feel it. Not only in terms of pure speed, but also in terms confidence, stature. Be 3rd Dakar has never stressed me at any time . I even thought it was normal (! ). Amusing , and also galvanizing .
Idem, win the special seemed normal , I l " had announced the previous team manager . (But I still furious at myself missed the 4th step , j" of 'll win that one too !) .
This course crossed , I capitalize . This will be important for the future ...

Finally, I will remember "WE" . That is the link that unites us and who has thrilled us all for 10 days. I know some have rolled through me. N Know that I "ve never ridden one ! I read all the messages that were sent to me ! This is very important! Can not feel tired or give up as you get messages that you m have it sent ! It's impossible !
I can not thank you enough for these stories , you can not imagine their strengths ... THANK YOU!

Disappointment will fade slowly giving way to pride in having delivered a great race !

I now look forward to arrived at the bivouac of Antofogasta . That starts around a table with Laurent , Alex and Fred ( technical team ) because I have some ideas to submit to continue their development of the bike ...

Alain

PS I will reply to each of you in the days and weeks ahead, but do not blame me , I qq 600 mails late ... !

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #253
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Helder takes 2nd.

Another great run by the veterans, another show of speed by Barreda (didn't we expect him to explode by stage 3?) and a very late show of force by Helder.

15:00 FINISH/META ss10 Moto
1 Barreda 7h12'00
2 Rodrigues 8'00
3 Despres 9'40
4 Coma 11'26

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #254
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Sakke View Post
It's there in previous posts...

Véronique Anquetil was 4th in the 1984, stage Iferouane – Chirfa – Dirkou. 15th overall in the finish.

Andrea Mayer was 8th on Stage 13 (actually a 2 day Marathon Stage) of the 2002 Dakar, Tichitt - Kiffa:

Laia Sanz 2014, 7th, Dakar 2014 on stage 9, Calama - Iquique

#50 LAIA SANZ ¡Mis felicitaciones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM
Walter Nosiglia Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro Estupiñan Jr
‏@EstupinanJr 53m
#Dakar2014: Walter Nosiglia (Bolivia-Quads) strong crash leaving the camp in Iquique. Leaving the race, driver is unharmed

Who's the South African?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar News
11:21 Bikes: More on Jeremías Israel Esquerre's accident
It turns out Jeremías Israel Esquerra did not crash with a car after all. Instead, he hit a rocky outcrop as he was riding with Joan Barreda on a narrow section of the course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
From his FB page....

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Chaleco's front wheel - talk about a big hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
http://www.masmotor.cl/jeremias-habr...o-en-el-dakar/
via googlish;
A serious accident suffered Israel Jeremiah Chilean rider during stage ten of the Rally Dakar 2014.

According to a statement issued by the press area of the pilot, Israel "was particularly struck by a vehicle that entered the test at kilometer 114 of the tenth stage that was played today between Iquique and Antofagasta ."

Jeremiah Israel , which occupied an expectant fourth in the overall standings, was traveling at 100 kilometers per hour located about 50 meters behind the Spanish Joan Barreda to the left of the trail of dust left by the machine Hispanic. At that time it would have entered a particular vehicle , which collided Jeremiah leaving him seriously injured and out of competition.

According to the statement , the pilot was unconscious a few minutes , without remembering what happened after suffering a TEC , breach of his right shoulder and fractured fingers on his hand . He was transferred after the crash Care Center Mutual Health Safety CChC Iquique where he was treated by Dr. Carcamo Cesar . We study transfer to Santiago to be operated .

Her father, Claudio Israel said that once the investigation and the bike destroyed revised shall verify that Jeremiah did not hit a rock that was hit by a private car and also in that area no rocks that may cause such accident .
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #255
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
http://www.masmotor.cl/jeremias-habr...o-en-el-dakar/
via googlish;
A serious accident suffered Israel Jeremiah Chilean rider during stage ten of the Rally Dakar 2014.

According to a statement issued by the press area of the pilot, Israel "was particularly struck by a vehicle that entered the test at kilometer 114 of the tenth stage that was played today between Iquique and Antofagasta ."

Jeremiah Israel , which occupied an expectant fourth in the overall standings, was traveling at 100 kilometers per hour located about 50 meters behind the Spanish Joan Barreda to the left of the trail of dust left by the machine Hispanic. At that time it would have entered a particular vehicle , which collided Jeremiah leaving him seriously injured and out of competition.

According to the statement , the pilot was unconscious a few minutes , without remembering what happened after suffering a TEC , breach of his right shoulder and fractured fingers on his hand . He was transferred after the crash Care Center Mutual Health Safety CChC Iquique where he was treated by Dr. Carcamo Cesar . We study transfer to Santiago to be operated .

Her father, Claudio Israel said that once the investigation and the bike destroyed revised shall verify that Jeremiah did not hit a rock that was hit by a private car and also in that area no rocks that may cause such accident .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Is that a reminder to Go P before you start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Sakke View Post
Boys are still in business

# 133 Tom has arrived, finishing 29th although he crashed in the terrible fesh fesh. He came in very dusty!
Overall 49th

# 117 Mart is also in the bivouac, finished 43rd and went less through the fesh fesh so looking less dusty!
Overall 41

Quote:
Ceci

Jeremias

Chavo

Ceci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
This has been an epic Dakar of all Dakars. You have the exceptionally challenging stages. You have the typical ASO controversies. You have the unfortunate attrition. You have the tragedies. You have the battle of the two elite, with Coma attempting to dethrone #1 CDP. You have the new rising guard, pushing for their place on the podium and in the spotlight.

This year you have more factory involvement challenging KTM with HRC, Yamaha and SpeedBrain.

And you have incredible underdog stories through out.

And to me...

this stage of the race, at the final third, IS where it all shakes out. All bets before this moment are pure conjuncture. And it's at the beginning of this stage where the stark realities of the previous week begin to add additional pressures on the field.

To me THIS IS THE DEFINING MOMENT OF THE RACE. Those who played their cards properly to this point? Those who skirted major malfunctions. Those who were able to stick with a solid gameplan, not to over push, not to get caught up in another rider's race. And those who positioned themselves on the better side of luck.

And of all the qualities required to get to this point, I think the riders most valuable skill was their ability to maintain their FOCUS.

And this is the point of the race where all the pressures collide on the riders to deteriorate that focus.

This is where mistakes are the most costly... missed waypoints, unneccessary risks, overpushing the equipment.

This is where the race switches from a physical race to a psychological battle, a test of mental strength. For riders to succeed it's the ability to shut out all the distractions, the physical pain and exhaustion, indecision, poor decisions, confusion... They must maintain a singular focus... one of completing the race at the most effecient and effective pace, no faster, no slower... an having immediate reactions against any opposition to that goal.

To me, I always find this section of the Dakar the most fascinating. This is where the true strengths of the competitors comes out. RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

This is what the Dakar boils down to... to this point, and at this point.

And from this point...

As we wind down to the FINAL ACT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Here is an update on the overall time variations after stage 10. The convergence for third continues. Despres, Przygonski, and Viladoms continue on the same trend. Rodrigues and Pain turn it around. Only 27 minutes seperate Jordi and Kuba with Olivier, Helder, and Cyril in between. Tomorrow is a big day zand there may be engine changes between now and the morning. Coma is an animal.

Closed Thread