Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #256
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
OK, the last 3 riders have made it to ASS.

78(82)118 - YANNICK GUYOMARC'H (FRA)
YAMAHA 450 WRF
08:37:15(82)+01:43:40(77)+01:52:19(74)+04:31:12(74)+04:45:35(78)
79(81)191 - ALEJANDRO HOYOS LLACH (COL)
HONDA CRF450X
08:31:30(81)+02:26:13(79)+02:37:18(76)+04:53:26(76)+04:57:15(79)
80(76)169 - JOSE IGNACIO CHIVITE RUIZ (ESP)
YAMAHA WR 450
08:28:00(76)+02:29:42(80)+02:40:44(77)+04:56:51(77)+04:59:50(80)

Way to go, guys!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, most from stage 9.

#42 - JAIME PROHENS (CHL) [YAMAHA]

#44 - PEDRO OLIVEIRA (PRT) [SPEEDBRAIN]

#39 - DAVID PABISKA (CZE) [KTM]
#83 - PATRICIO CABRERA (CHL) [KAWASAKI]

#30 - RIAAN VAN NIEKERK (ZAF) [KTM]

#15 - KUBA PRZYGONSKI (POL) [KTM]

lots more moto photos, quads, trucks, whatnot... all posted for your perusal in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose
Quote:
webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, most from stage 9.

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

#64 - LAURENT LAZARD (URY) [KTM]

#15 - KUBA PRZYGONSKI (POL) [KTM]

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]

lots more moto photos, quads, trucks, whatnot... all posted for your perusal in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
I was able to talk friends over at Expedition Portal into letting me put something together about Dakar 2014. It's tough to summarize in so few words but let me know if there are any errors or typos even because I wasn't able to put a lot of time into getting it 100%..

http://www.expeditionportal.com/news...sing-days.html

thanks, andre
Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #257
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
lots of wp's (and km's) for tomorrow, i just hope they get them working on the tracker

wp1 @ 46km
wp2 @ 86km
wp3 @ 123km
cp1/wp4/refuel @ 177km
wp5 @ 201km
wp6 @ 223km
cp2/wp7 @ 268km
cp3/wp8 @ 285km
wp9 @ 296km
wp10 @ 335km
wp11 @ 369km
cp4/wp12/refuel @ 377km
wp13 @ 406km
cp5/wp14 @ 426km
wp15 @ 468km
wp16 @ 519km (or @ cp6)
cp6 @ 529km
wp17 @ 542km
cp7 @ 579km
ass @ 605km
..[/quote]

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 05:23 PM
Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #258
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Its going to be a rough one. I believe the first bikes will be rollowing at the DSS around 07h00 Local

PS. Dont forget the Dreamracer DVD Competiton closes in a just a few hours.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #259
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Dakar.com has a bunch of photos for each stage that they're not showing in the main "photos" area... slightly hidden. enjoy!

#134 - SHANE DIENER (AUS) [YAMAHA]

#7 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT) [HONDA]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

.... lots more non-moto-centric hidden photos in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose for your entertainment!
Quote:
David Casteu via email (translated)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - Step 9

David was 16th of the 9th stage Calama - Iquique to 33'47 '' winner Marc Coma ( KTM). Despite his broken collarbone , but well strappée shoulder , the Frenchman was able to reach the finish line after the special of 422 km in the dunes of the Atacama ending with a steep descent to Iquique on the Pacific .
"It was a special one brittle, the feared a little, he had fesh -fesh there with hidden stones , says David , visibly tired after a very difficult step. As I struggled to hold the handlebars , I have tried to ride clean. well I anticipated my paths. arriving in Iquique is amazing , I have a great idea for Luc Palante ( the Belgian driver died on the Dakar , ed), this motorcycle enthusiast who lived Dakar thoroughly. We are privileged to ride in these landscapes. This big descent to the ocean has been particularly difficult , it is not necessary that I put the bike on the ground. the sand was very soft , I read the dunes, I now have a pace finisher and adventurer. this is not easy to finish the Dakar . "

David even won a place overall , dating back to 10th place , 3 h 23'06 leader Marc Coma.
"I won a place as Duclos ( Sherco ) abandoned ( engine failure ) . Everybody pulls hard on the engine and no driver in front did changé.Tout can happen but there are a lot of competitors coming back strong . I ride and see . "

Today, the 10th stage with a 631 km long special takes the remaining drivers Iquique to Antofagasta .

Wednesdays January 15, 2014 - Step 10

Despite the pain of his broken collarbone , David was ranked 18th in the 10th stage Iquique - Antofagasta after a step into two parts of 631 km in 29'57 '' winner Barreda (Honda) . It remains to 10th place overall , 3 h 41'54 '' leader Marc Coma ( KTM).
" I resist , I resist ! Loose KTM pilot upon his arrival in Antofagasta . Morflé I in the first stage, I threw everything I knew. I was tense , stressed by the fear of falling and not . unable to meet the bike I had a stomach ache I felt no longer expertise motorcycle And then I said to myself : . . . " Roule , treat yourself " And I went up gradually . It was a special very long, very difficult fesh -fesh with many brittle, it was not easy to hold moto.Je do not know where I'll get this will know. Dakar is a big adventure , a big discount in personal issues , a fight over yourself. Every kilometer is a personal battle I ended with the willingness to go after . "

Also in the top 10 despite his injury, David surprised everyone in the Dakar
" Doctors do not believe ... Like what , with the will, the reactions of the human body can be amazing ."

Today, the 11th stage will Antofagasta to El Salvador for a 144 km link and 605 km long special in the dunes of the Atacama .

This guy is a machine but for how long can he keep it up? You can see the pain has aged him on this rally. Now we know why he looked unhappy today. He had to dig very deep indeed.

Its curious to notice how much older people look towards the end of the rally than what they really are.
Quote:
Dakar.com photos from stage 10.

#19 - STEFAN SVITKO (SVK) [KTM]
#23 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) [SHERCO]

#23 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) [SHERCO]

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

.... lots more non-moto-centric photos in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose for your entertainment!
Quote:

#6 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA) [YAMAHA]

.... lots more non-moto-centric photos in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose for your entertainment!
Quote:

#98 - STEPHANE HAMARD (FRA) [KTM]

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #260
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Jordi Viladoms@JordiViladoms
Me espera una dura lucha por estar en el podio pero voy a dar el 100% hasta el final del @DakarRally2014

google translate:
I expect a tough fight to be on the podium but I will give 100% to the end of @ DakarRally2014
Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #261
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Laia's protest confirmed from friends at bivouac. reason and resolution unknown. maybe she got penalty for missing wp or so.

David Pabiska just sent me text message and mentioned that she had some problems with bike on the track but no details. We will know later from her FB page

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcbride View Post

Hi! Today it was a difficult day. Everything was fine until 20 km to finish line, when clutch failed. I could repair (thanks Pablo Rodríguez) but I spent 2 hours to restart. What a pity! I had top15 on Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race on my hands, but I'm happy to continue on the race. Now I'm 19th overall
In #Dakar always there is a bad day. For me was today. My bike is amazing and I'm very grateful to my team. Thank you for your messages!!! You are great!!!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:30 AM
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #262
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Really interesting article on the Dakar from Heinz Kinigadner's perspective here: http://blog.ktm.com/past-present-hei...-on-the-dakar/

by Adam Wheeler

Past & present: Heinz Kinigadner on the Dakar

The name Heinz Kinigadner is inextricably linked to the most famous rally race in the world. The Austrian did not win the Dakar, he didn’t even reach the finish line in the seven versions he attempted, but the former motocross World Champion opened the KTM era in the event’s 36 year history and has been a keen follower, supporter and campaigner for the Dakar since his involvement in the early 1990s. We took the chance to note some of his views as the 53 year old always proves to have an entertaining and illuminating perspective …
On the 2014 Dakar being one of the most exciting in many years with three brands focusing on top riders, excellent team structure and advanced technology…
“Absolutely! We had a meeting with all the guys except from Chaleco only a few days ago in Mattighofen. It was very nice and everybody is aware that 2014 is a big one and a new step for Dakar. In the last twelve years it has been KTM’s and it would be quite clear who would win. It created some difficult situations inside the team because we, as KTM, were not in a position to take a clear direction. If Marc was complaining then it was against Cyril and vice-versa so we had to take a step back and it was not easy for everybody involved in that KTM entry. We were not really out there fighting the others, but against ourselves.”
On his personal memories of the Dakar…
“I remember starting to push KTM towards this race and almost everybody inside the company at the time thought I was crazy because they said the bike was not built for such long distance rallies but from the beginning I really saw the potential of the Dakar. It happens at a time of the year where there is no other motorsport, that motorcycle riders are thinking about what to do and that the coverage showed pictures and images that you couldn’t really see or find anywhere else.

It was more like an adventure than high level sport, even though inside it is very much like that. It was another dimension for KTM customers and moved the company up another level. Even this year for example our Adventure bike – which is one of the most modern – was our best seller and we had a window already made for that product. Anyway, it is true that I started the Dakar with a bike that was not really ready for those long distances! So there were technical problems. Four times I stopped because of those and another three through crashing after other technical problems! I was not that young when it came to racing the Dakar but it was hard for a hot motocrosser to find the balance between safety and speed and I was not really looking for it because for me it was the biggest adventure you could have. The Dakar was reassuring because you have helicopter and emergency radios and so on; safer compared to riding on your own in the desert. The Dakar is still f*^king dangerous because when you are doing 600-700km per day keeping your concentration up for two weeks then … well, this is one point that scares me a lot. Since KTM went into Dakar in 1992 until today then all of our bad accidents with factory riders – with the exception of Pit Beirer – have been at the Dakar or in other Rallies. It is a wonderful sport but it is also very upsetting when you losing your friends.”
“I remember starting to push KTM towards this race and almost everybody inside the company at the time thought I was crazy because they said the bike was not built for such long distance rallies but from the beginning I really saw the potential of the Dakar.”
On a specific Dakar recollection…
“If I think back to my first Dakar there was no GPS. In the second they started with the simple ones and this was when we were able to input as many points as we wanted. There were no maps just points, so you could see shorter routes but you never knew if there was a mountain to cross, a river or sand dunes. Sometimes we took those risks and went to cut those routes that saved 15km or whatever. Sometimes you could make it, sometimes not. But if you did it and crossed a difficult area and took something like 20 minutes on the boys then these were special and nice moments. KTM has been part of the Dakar for twenty years now and the first ones we did were without support trucks or any organisation and without a bike that was really ready for that race. It was like going into war. When we saw the outcome in terms of media and coverage it was crazy. I have to say that my two world titles in motocross were almost nothing compared to those days at the Dakar, media-wise. Everybody in Austria seemed to have been watching it. Dakar is a two-week hit and if you see it for two days then you know it will be on the next day, and the day after that. The Motocross championship would stop and start because of the dates and you’d lose connection. I was surprised. I flew to Vienna afterwards and every taxi driver and even people in the street were saying ‘hey! You’re the guy from the Dakar’. I did so much more work for my world titles but the Dakar was so much better for exposure!”
“I did so much more work for my world titles but the Dakar was so much better for exposure!”
In why people go back to the Dakar…
“People have called me a crazy motorcyclist with his brain clicked off but if you are part of something or a scene then you understand why you do it. When I was a motocross rider I did not even watch those rallies. I thought ‘this is not real sport’ but when you cannot do something at the top level anymore then you look around to see where else you can be good and I made a big discovery. To be able to ride through landscapes where people haven’t been – only helicopters – is wonderful. One time I was going through the desert with a friend of mine, the boss from Red Bull, and he said to me ‘I feel like John Wayne!’. It was amazing where we were. And this is the point. Personally for me it had a big impact because I am from a mountainous region so to see all of that hugeness was a big thing! You could just ride and ride for 2000km. The combination of that and controlling a motorcycle on the limit where there is so little room for error – you come around a corner with centimetres to spare and you know nobody else can do it quicker – it is a special feeling and brings you into a kind of ‘flow’. You feel unbreakable and unbeatable and that you are the best. This is the racing aspect. Match it with the adventure and there you have it. On the bike I have crossed South America from Peru to Rio. I have gone from Paris to Moscow to Beijing. Across Australia and the first Dakar for me was from Paris to Cape Town. For me it was a way to see the world and to see places that I never would have been.”
Winning the ’94 Pharaoh’s Rally with mechanic Fernando. Living the Adventure
“To be able to ride through landscapes where people haven’t been – only helicopters – is wonderful. One time I was going through the desert with a friend of mine, the boss from Red Bull, and he said to me ‘I feel like John Wayne!´ [...] And this is the point.”
On the relocation to South America…
“For the Dakar South America was a big ‘win’. It is massive there now and it is starting to grow in North America, which was not always the case in Africa. North America is a big market for the manufacturers. The website mentions three-four million live spectators and that is a huge deal. I do not think it will come back to Africa. Africa is limited because it is not so safe away from the coast. The whole format of the race seems to be changing and there are more motorhomes and families involved now. It is a very, very different event than when it was in Africa. When you were going through Mali you might see a little town and then know there was nothing else for 800km; you had that feeling of being totally alone. In South America it is a bit different and Marc Coma and the guys told me that if you don’t see a building or hut with spectators for more than five or six kilometres then you have taken the wrong way! Anyway, it is great and an important race for all of us. Maybe in the future we can have two versions. One that is more like the old-style Africa and one that follows the newer version. If you see the bikes now then KTM with its 450 RALLY and Honda are producing some great stuff. I think if you gave it to our MX1 World Champion Cairoli he would make some decent lap-times on a motocross circuit; the handling is that good. They are different now from the ‘big ships from Africa’ – as we used to call them – that were made for going flat-out in a straight line.”

KTM 620 LC4 1997/1998
KTM 620 LC4 1997/1998
“For the Dakar South America was a big ‘win’. [...] The whole format of the race seems to be changing and there are more motorhomes and families involved now.”
Photos from Kinigadner personal collection

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #263
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
I think now is a good time to do this. Here is how I see it so far.

SS1
Bikes crushed by trucks, and few broken bones but everyone somehow finished

SS2
Lost riders, heatstroke, bulls, broken road books, heat exhaustion, burning bikes, big dunes, deep sand, crashed machines everywhere, people crashing into crashed bikes, camelbacks, slinging fuel tanks from broken bikes as fuel bowsers, and stolen motorbikes, and shot (not) spectators.

SS3
More of broken pilots, exploding tyres, burnt out cars, steep mountain climbs, late starts, canyongate, Shoestring turns to G-Strings, helicopter rescues, missing mustache men, fractured elbows, egos, dislocated knee-moania, blankets & food in the cold mountains

SS4
Bikers at the start without their bikes, riders getting hopelessly lost, snot & tears from everyone, blown up engines, slippery ridges, Gonk with wrecked nav tower, short circuited iritracks, someone burns his car saving us from more ski dude tv impressions.

SS5
Garbage data from ASO, F5 team seriously agitated, irritracks confused, irriGate, naviGate, burning bikes, other bikes breaking, aliens lost, more heat stroke, dehydration and general chaos, Laia steady in all this, and sadly we lose Eric

SS6
Chaleco Dive! Dive! Dive! statorGate, are broken, everyone gets lost again just for fun, Despres has a fuelGate and misses some waypoints, Bang Bang only crashes once, stage cut short almost everyone survives.

SS7
Arrrrrrrrrrrrribba Bolilililiviaaaa!!! Live coverage for the first time in years,
El Presidente chases the bikes in his helicoptero, Chavo becomes a national Rock Star and nearly burns out from the strain, mud pools and some rain, massive crowds, amazing generosity, lost passports, ponchos and bowler hats, and all is right in the Dakar world.

SS8
llama pajamas, Coma gets a jazz blues voice, Duclos has a mechanical, salt and Salar, some rain and mud, vomiting and soroche, a couple of crashes and a bivouac from hell.

SS9
Everyone's just tired and sore and irritable. Sick riders getting better, lots of dust for lunch, fesh-fesh, Kuba has a Moto GP off, Sherco blows up, the huge dune. No one notices the huge dune downhill.

SS10
Quads crashing into cars and bikes into spectators, long liaisons, F5 attrition snowballs, Rest day? What rest day? Can they make the finish?? We learn a new word: Fanboysim. The Matador goes bang bang in neutralization!

Goodness me, What will tomorrow bring?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #264
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #265
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
A little creative helicopter camera angle make Cyril's Stage 10 sand hillclimb look mighty steep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Sakke View Post
Engine changes known unto 16.01.2014

3 #4 VILADOMS (ESP) KTM
4 # 6 PAIN (FRA) YAMAHA
14 #40 SALVATIERRA (BOL) SPEEDBRAIN
20 #31 CECI (ITA) SPEEDBRAIN
23 #23 PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) SHERCO
33 #46 RODRIGUEZ (ARG) HONDA
42 #117 MEERU (EST) HONDA
44 #65 HEINRICH (PER) HONDA
55 #133 TRIISA (EST) HONDA
56 #63 ERRAZURIZ (CHL) SHERCO
57 #189 TRACCAN (FRA) HONDA
60 #109 DEL ZOTTO (ARG) GAS – GAS
61 #71 GRACIDA GARZA (MEX) HONDA
66 #49 OLIVEIRA (PRT) HUSQVARNA
69 #87 VELLUTINO (PER) KTM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JOAN BARREDA ‏[urlhttps://twitter.com/joanbangbang88]@joanbangbang88[/url]
Now start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders F View Post
From Laias FB:

Hi! Today it was a difficult day. Everything was fine until 20 km to finish line, when clutch failed. I could repair (thanks Pablo Rodríguez) but I spent 2 hours to restart. What a pity! I had top15 on Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race on my hands, but I'm happy to continue on the race. Now I'm 19th overall
In ‪#‎Dakar‬ always there is a bad day. For me was today. My bike is amazing and I'm very grateful to my team. Thank you for your messages!!! You are great!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Update on yesterdays stage from Robbo's FB page

"3 to go! The biggest SS tomorrow-605 km and dunes dunes dunes!
Today was good, I had no dramas and tonight I'm feeling good. It was a tough navigation day and very windy which helped a little with the Fesh Fesh(bull dust) it was deep in parts but again I got through. Some fast sections I think I hit 163 at one point. The bike is going strong but I rode in a lot of dust behind some quads, it took me some time to pass, but prevailing eventually. So again tonight road book, eat, refill, sleep, and and early start tomorrow for another challenging day-perhaps the toughest!"

and this hopefully no one will mind me sharing was posted on his FB page from his mum

"From MUM.
LIFE -
'Life can only be understood by looking backward, but it must be lived by looking forward". So look forward to those finish lines and when you have crossed them then you can reflect and have the time to absorb all that you have achieved. This is one of your dreams. You have made it a reality so keep focusing, you are nearly there. Love MUM "

Go Mum !

Goooo Robbo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I knew I saw the reverse angle of Sainz's crash on some other footage. Here it is:

Straight with a quick right/left. Looks like the tire marks (In another close up shot) show him leaving the road at the outside of the apex. Probably hit the berm and rolled it two or three times, clobbered one of the poles with the right rear of the car.

And here is a close up of the right rear tire completely shredded:

And the damage to the rest of the buggy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
You know the moment I started reading this, this popped into my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

"We didn't start the F5ire [hose], it was always burning..." etc.

With a bit of jigging, I reckon you could get it word perfect!

Maybe a project for Troy if he's not busy today?!

Jx

I never thought of it, but you're right!

Inside the Kawasaki team and rally bike (spanish). Very interesting that they had a 100% finish rate last year.
Quote:
Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM   #266
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Iquique: this is how steep it is

From BroadlinkKTM:

Wednesday 15th January: Iquiqui to Antofagasta

Liaison section: 53 km Special stage: 231 km Neutral section: 185 km Special section: 215 km Liasion section: 5 km

It was a slow start for Broadlink KTM’s Riaan van Niekerk as he dived into the first of two specials for the day. The first was 231 Km’s long and started in the dunes, Riaan felt uncomfortable and struggled to find his rhythm, he soon adjusted and felt stronger in the second 215 Km special which consisted mainly of fast tracks with loads of fesh fesh. Riaan again got attached to Yamaha’s Michael Metge and they spent most of the day together. Riaan took a bath in the fesh fesh, crashing in the soft powder, “the stuff goes everywhere, it’s like a magnet”. He rode a cautious day as the Dakar added Jeremiah Israel to the list of non finishers, Jeremiah crashed out when there was a kink in the track and he went straight into the rocks. Riaan placed 12th on the stage just 23 minutes and 29 seconds down. He moves into 12th overall.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #267
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despres Facebook
Cyril Despres
Like This Page · 5 minutes ago

Cyril and Mika marking up their road books with green clay under cling film on their wrists. They are not part of some strange sect. It's to relieve the pain after having already ridden over 6000 kilometers. Tomorrow 605 kilometers of special!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #268
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

At the DSS Stage 11
Quote:
Quote:

yesterday

DURO CHOQUE Jeremías Esquerre no pudo continuar en la competencia debido a sus lesiones.. (Foto: Reuters )
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #269
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post
Barreda
Fr4 Footage of Robby Gordon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Suspension? we don't need no fooking suspension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pedrero Blog
Dakar 2014:Antofagasta-El Slavador
Hola amig@s!!
En la etapa de hoy, a la altura del km 20, se me rompió el amortiguador trasero y pasé toda la especial sin amortiguador eso daba bastante inestabilidad a la parte trasera de la moto y debía ir rectificando todo el rato. La etapa era larguisima, ha costado que pasara x las condiciones del amortiguador.

Hemos llegado en 7ª posición, era el día de apretar aunque no he podido hacerlo todo lo que quería. Estamos contentos xk la rotura del amortiguador podría habernos dejado fuera de la carrera o provocado una caída y en cambio estamos ya en el campamento con una etapa menos que afrontar y una etapa menos para llegar a Valparaiso.

Un día menos! una etapa más!!!

I lost my rear shock on today's stage at km 20. I spent the whole stage without the shock and that rendered the bike unstable forcing me to correct it all the time. The stage was very long, it was hard to see it pass in those conditions.

We arrived in 7th, it was the day to push it although I coudln't do it as much as I wanted. We're happy because the broken shock could have left us out of the race or caused a fall and instead we're at the bivouac with one less stage to face and one less stage to reach Valparaiso

Coma must have come off at some point? We did not see it in his times.
Quote:
Quote:
Overall after Stage 11 - courtesy of www.trackingdakar.nl (not to late to donate!)

Barreda 1hour15minutes ahead of Viladoms, heck, they can change his engine twice tonight and he would still have a 15 minute lead over Jordi V.

Wonder if everyone else is going for an engine change tonight. Pain's is on his second engine. For Helder/Despres it will be worth to make it all in one engine. Quite remarkable if they do.

The 1st three look like they're safe. Even Viladoms who shown good form today and is 13m44s ahead of Pain.

And I wonder if Coma's train on the bicycle included a lot of these
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Cars:

Camions:

Kamaz took the lead.

Edit:
Doh. Second 205 today.
Quote:
Quote:

Adam Malysz - Action
Adam Malysz (driver) and Rafal Marton (co-driver) having a good pace lately ending up 10th after a solid result on stage 9.
© Kin Marcin/Red Bull Content Pool

Atacama Desert, always hostile with Dakar
Atacama Desert showed no mercy with Dakar 2014 competitors in one of the toughest stages this year. The upcoming days will be really extreme and unpredictable in all classes.
© Honda HRC
Quote:

Andrey Karginov´s Kamaz battling in the dunes
Andrey Karginov (driver) Andrey Mokeev (co-driver) and Igor Devyatkin (co-driver) fight through the lose sand of the dunes on Stage 10. The main goal for the Karginov is to move his 9 ton truck forward and not to bog down.
© Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool

Cyril Despres riding through the dunes
Cyril Despres rides throught the dunes during the 10th stage of Dakar Rally from Iquique to Antofagasta, Chile.

Ronan Chabot speeding up a dune
Ronan Chabot (driver) and Gilles Pillot (co-driver) had a way better day then Teammate Carlos Sainz in the other SMG Buggy. They reached the finishline as number 8 and stay in the race. Sainz had a bad rollover, crashed the buggy and his journey comes to an end on stage 10.
Quote:
without it, warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640Armageddon
Coma's comments

Quote:
Pretty happy. Was a really long day for us. We are on the last part of the rally so we have to be focus. More that ever because we've been throught lots of kilometers and our shape conditions aren't the same ones as we started. We gotta keep our pace and being consistent at the same time which is not an easy way to keep up with. We have a lot to do, in fact tomorrow will be a very though and important day so..... let's slow down for a bit.
Let's slow down a bit,
Old 01-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #270
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Barreda's blog entry at the end of Stage 10 (before this 605km SS)

"By: Joan Barreda | January 16, 2014
This morning I did not left to the stage with a good feeling. I was not comfortable in thea dunes. But I remained calm . I knew I was loosing time, but also that I had 500km of special ahead. I had left with a full tank, to the brim , because in the sand the bike consumes so much more and as the fuel has gone down I've started to feel better, I gained confidence and I started to navigate better . So I've also started to catch riders who were ahead . It has hard for all the dust left by the bikes in front : Viladoms , Helder , that of Svitko ... I had to overtake them with all the dust , hardly seeing anything. But at the end I have four stage winnings!

With today's special I've cut eleven minutes to Marc , but I realize that even without the 15´penalty things woudn't be much different. Plus, tomorrow he will leave behind and it will be the usual: he will win time. Unless something unexpected happens . That will not happen ...

Thursday 's stage , a 600km special and with three days to finish the race is not the time to push hard like I did the last few days. I could push in the first 350 kms but then comes 250 kms of dunes where you can easily get stuck . Third place is more than an hour and 20 minutes behind me so I could take some risks in navigation, but I fear that is not the right day to try it, I would not profit enough . It's Not worth it. Also , one has to start thinking about the bike. We have accumulated many kms and must take care to avoid any mafunction that would ruin all the work done so far.

On the other hand, we must recognize that Marc is doing a fine race: the guy has raced and has defended his position very well . Beyond the fact that he has not had any mechanical problem, Marc has taken a courageous attitude and has not been conservative at any time. Besides, unlucky us, he is doing ​​a Dakar without any problems. It has been very rare in recent years that it happens like that and we have to compete also with that."
Dutch with some great footage
Quote:
Spanish, with more bike footage, cars and trucks as well
Quote:
Quote:
pic from Barreda's facebook:

While the snooker geniuses give the autographs, can anyone identify the part on the lower left, the one with 5 ports plugged in red??
Possible answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Maybe a fuel line "spider". Switchable collector to pump fuel from the different tanks maybe?
Quote:
Eurosport PT reporting problems on Helder's left fuel tank at km 100 today forcing repair while on stage.

Also reporting that Barreda had exhaust prob (crushed?) after the getover, so he was left with less power besides no navigation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
It was the overall leader Marc Coma who came from behind to win the special with Cyril Despres (Yamaha Factory Racing) second at 2’51. Overall the battle for third place continues to rage with Cyril now 23’22 off the podium with just two day’s racing left until the end in Valparaiso. Michael Metge finished 11th on special to move up to 12th overall.

Cyril Despres

“Six hours 38 minutes – that’s a long day’s racing and in 605 kilometres of special we had pretty much everything – climbs, descents, sand, pistes, rios – the lot. I was hoping to get pulled along by Barreda but unfortunately he crashed heavily and destroyed his navigation gear, so I ended up opening the piste again – this time for 400 kilometres. And inevitably when you open its difficult to pull back time. Tomorrow I start behind Marc and I think there’s a strong chance I’ll end up opening again. He’s pretty comfortably installed in the lead and if he pulls over and lets me pass he’ll be helping his team mate Viladoms.”

Michael Metge

“If I’d done this special last year I’d have been completely exhausted at the end of it. But this year, with my new fitness regime, I feel pretty good, despite almost 7 hours on the bike. And now ‘the boss’ has ‘suggested’ that I ride the static bike for 20 minutes to aid recuperation. I can’t complain – he’s just done the same!”

Cyrils only 23 min out of podium with two days left? Oh it aint over yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
I think we can all learn a lot from Cyril Despres. What a great attitude.

"While I have chance to try for third place in the absolute ranking, the most important task is to finish the race without remorse, having given all of me to have the best finish possible." - Cyril Despres

NFSW
Quote:
ONLY for TROY

Quote:
Scratch Autos-Trucks, today, Karginov would be 6th!

Closed Thread