Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 AM   #271
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
Did everyone hear about Kevin Muggleton getting arrested by Chilean Investigators yesterday for some misunderstanding about bike importation/ customs affair from prior trip???

I just got off the phone with FREEDOM rally who said KM received a phone call from Chilean authorities and had to turn himself in. He appeared in court this morning. The magistrate dropped all charges and he's a free man... Scary moment for Kevin Smuggleton:

Here's his "Smug-Shot"

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #272
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
So have you noticed, Coma has a 15 minute penalty (engine change) and is now ranked 10th. I reckon he is going to start in 10th and win the stage again tomorrow, and follow the tracks navigating himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I was just going to comment on this too - amazing how close the top riders all were today, that a 15 minute penalty drops you down TEN places!

To answer your question MG - Coma won the stage, but his engine change penalty (from last night presumably) has been applied, effectively adding 15 minutes to today's time, so he starts in 10th position tomorrow.

Bluebull alludes to the fact that Marc can probably make up 10-12 minutes on the rest of the riders over the course of the stage, so will be back on top by tomorrow evening.

What I find interesting (only speculatively you understand) is that with Despres and Pain 1 & 2 tomorrow, I wonder if Cyril can convince Olivier to mislead the rest of the pack, while he scurries off... I wouldn't put it past him, other than the fact the Olivier is also in the hunt for 3rd overall...

As DesertSurfer suggests so eloquently, I also think tomorrow is going to be the deciding factor in the 2014 Dakar overall... however, I wouldn't discount a last chance dash from Despres on stage 13 if it is only a matter of minutes between 4th and 3rd.

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
I'm a bit confused Jen (nothing new there) but surely engine change penalties are on n the overall times not the stage times, so if Coma was bumped to 10th on the stage for 15 mins, wouldn't this be for something else?

Quote:
As I understand it - Yes the engine change is added to the overall time, but it is actually applied on the day (or more accurately the day after the night it was done), by adding it to the stage time of that day.

Of course it would have to be added to one or other of the stage/day times too, otherwise the totals wouldn't add up (and adding it to the day after the change makes sense, as ASO are unlikely to have had confirmation of the change before morning anyway) and I imagine it is done that way particularly so as to introduce another element of strategy for the teams to fathom out - knowing their rider will be repositioned in the starting order the day after the day the penalty was applied?

Sounds like a head-f*ck trying to work it all out, but KTM and Marc Coma seem to have got their strategy sussed - We saw him push yesterday [partially] to compensate for the penalty that would be applied, and at the same time knowing his competitors were ragging it to keep the pace - while now he can spend the penultimate day with a number of lead riders in front, taking the pressure of him, while he still has a huge buffer of time in hand.

Jx

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 04:20 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #273
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
We we have talked about the riding Gods, what they can and may be able to do but we have not really discussed the superheroes in the middle of the pack and lower down in the rankings. So here goes:

Riaan van Niekerk lost a position to end up in in 13th today on the stage. He was bumped down by Michael Metge who came flying from 19th yesterday into 11th! Riaan was also 4 minutes behind Daniel Gouet (12th) and 3 minutes in front of David Casteu today.

Overall Riaan still maintains his 12th position overall, 25 minutes behind Ivan Jakes and 20 minutes in front of Michael Metge. Metge has been attacking Riaan, and beat him today by 6 minutes. If Riaan keeps his pace up and does not have any problem, he should have enough cushion to absorb further attack from Metge. To beat Ivan Jakes in 11th overall he will need to reel in 25 minutes in just two stages. Quite hard to do I think. For Riaan to get into 10th position overall he will either need two guys to drop out above him or he is going to have to pull an alien move, because he is a full 45 minutes behind David Casteu in 10th.

David Casteu had a good day today. He was smiling at the end of the stage too, so maybe the pain drugs were kicking nicely. He came 14th, up three from yesterday and maintains his position in 10th overall. He is slipping though. David has big gap of 32 minutes in front of him to beat Stephan Svitco in 9th overall, but his challenge is Ivan Jakes who beat him in Stage 11 by 12m15s today coming 9th! Overall Ivan is separated from David by 19 minutes, but given Ivan's performance today and David's injury, it is going to turn out to be a big battle for 10th position.

Chavo Salvatierra came 16th today, losing 3 places on his start position so it was not his best day. I'm not sure what happened yet. But he is sitting very safely in 14th overall, and if no one drops out above him he can hold the 14th fairly safely to the finish. Chavo has 43 minutes behind Metge and a whole 1 hour 40 minutes in front Dutch rider Henk Knuiman. This will be a brilliant performance for our Bolivian Rockstar.

Aussie boy Shane Diener had a fantastic day coming 19th and pulling himself into 39th over from 46th. If Shane can keep attacking he may still be able to get into the low 30's or upper 20's. We shall see.

Laia Sanz came in 19th today, making up no less than 46 places from yesterday when she had to be towed in with a broken clutch to come 65th. Its fantastic, but not really a true reflection because she was reseeded 16th at the beginning of the day, which means she did not physically pass all those people. Regardless, her ability to stay in the top 20 of a field this strong is nothing short of amazing. If Laia attacks she may be able to get up 15th or 16th overall. there are 6 riders within an hour of each other in position 15-21.

Now for the malle moto guys. Brett Cummings and young Robert van Pelt have been battling it out for almost two weeks. Here is their positioning stage by stage:

Stage .....Malle Moto 1st.........Malle Moto 2nd
1............Van Pelt.................Cummings
2............Van Pelt.................Cummings
3............Van Pelt.................Cummings
4............Cummings...............Van Pelt
5............Van Pelt.................Cummings
6............Cummings...............Van Pelt
7............Van Pelt.................Cummings
8............Cummings...............Van Pelt
9............Cummings...............Van Pelt
10..........Van Pelt.................Cummings
11..........Cummings...............Van Pelt

That's 5 stage wins for Brett and 6 for Robert in their class. The rest are trailing a long way back.

Brett Picked up a penalty of 30 minutes and got lost for 1.5+ hours on Stage 5 which did not help his overall position compared to van Pelt's relatively clean run. Somehow he has been able to claw back a lot of that and so the difference between the two is 1 hour 13 minutes. So unless something awful happens to van Pelt, Brett is likely to maintain 2nd position in his class. Fantastic stuff for both of them. They are also 2 of the 6 left over from the 20 riders that started in their class.

If Brett attacks he could easily take on Bianchi Prata and Miran Stanovik (both good semi-pro riders BTW) who are 1 & 13 minutes ahead of him respectively. He has a nice 45 minute gap behind him so unless he has a disaster he should maintain his 27th position overall, and possibly get up to 25th or 24th by the end of the rally.

There are so many others I want to discuss, but don't have the time, and you're probably bored by this long post so I will leave you with our hero Mongolian: Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo who is still battling in the dust with fellow back markers, trucks and cars. These guys get in after dark everyday and he came in 53rd up two places from yesterday. He is still in 61st overall with 3 hrs of penalties (for being late poor guy- you just cant win at the back), and has ridden in the sun for 21 hours (penalties removed) or 43% more time than Marc Coma

In 78th as sweeper is Spain's Jose Ignacio Chivite, who has been out there no less than 44 hours more than Marc Coma before penalties. So Considering Marc has been out there for 48 hours so far, he is getting almost twice as much bang for his buck than Marc.

I have huge respect for all these guys down to the first man, but most of all for Jose Ignacio. I'm not sure I could do what they have done.

Goooo Riders go!!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 07:22 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #274
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, most from stage 10; honestly, one of their best days yet... so many great shots!

bikes

#57 - BRUNO DA COSTA (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#86 - CRISTIAN NASER COLOMBO (CHL) [KTM]

#67 - ROBERT VAN PELT (NLD) [HONDA]

#39 - DAVID PABISKA (CZE) [KTM]

#134 - SHANE DIENER (AUS) [YAMAHA]

...many many more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #275
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
08:02 Bikes: New engine and a penalty for Coma

The leader of the bike general standings changed the engine of his KTM at the bivouac, leading to a 15 minute penalty for the rider. As a result, Marc Coma loses out on his stage victory of yesterday, handing it to Cyril Despres, even if he was quickest on the specials stage. This morning, Coma still has a lead of 37’36' over Joan Barreda, once this penalty has been taken into account.

Dunes: the last ditch attempt

The site chosen in El Salvador at high altitude towers over the usual location of the bivouac in Copiapo. This position will ensure that the Camanchaca, the morning mist which sometimes hinders the start of the stages, will be avoided. Sand will be featured on the route again, in particular with a big string of dunes to be overcome at the end of the special stage. And if there are dunes, this automatically means that vehicles will be blocked in the sand! Therefore, in the categories where competitors are neck and neck, the leaders may put themselves at risk.
El Salvador > La Serena

Distance
Car
Truck
Bike
Quad
special stage
DistanceSchedule
350 km
350 km
350 km
350 km
10:18 - 14:33
10:18 - 14:33
08:15 - 12:45
08:15 - 12:45
connection
DistanceSchedule
349 km
349 km
349 km
349 km
14:33 - 19:20
14:33 - 19:20
12:55 - 17:10
12:55 - 17:10

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

Map

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #276
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
WP3
(2) 001 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) YAMAHA +00:00:11 (4) +00:00:04 (2) 0h53m34s (1) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
- (6) 007 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT) HONDA --:--:-- (-) 0h27m39s (1) +00:00:29 (2) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
- (1) 002 - MARC COMA (ESP) KTM +00:00:19 (7) +00:00:50 (4) +00:01:17 (3) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
- (3) 006 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA) YAMAHA +00:00:22 (8) +00:01:13 (6) +00:01:41 (4) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
- (7) 023 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) SHERCO +00:00:16 (6) +00:01:11 (5) +00:02:12 (5) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
- (4) 004 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) KTM +00:00:33 (10) +00:01:25 (7) +00:05:41

Today's battle is Cyril / Helder for 5th. Cyril will give his best and Helder will have to defend himself. But Cyril, the alien, is opening the stage... it's going to be interesting!

Eventually we'll see some action in the Pain / Viladoms fight for 3rd. Viladoms started with enough margin (aprox 14 min) but Pain is at it @WP3 already.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #277
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
At WP5 the Yamahas are giving all they have.

Despres is doing the alien thing of opening track AND lead the stage (if stealth Barreda isn't mixing in it)

It's been awhile since we last saw the alien definition taking place, so [As much as I feel for Helder Rodrigues who is loosing his 5th position overall to CD. :( ]

And Viladoms keeps bleeding time to Olivier Pain. 3rd step of the podium battle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Barreda is 2nd at CP3, +1'03" behind Despres.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #278
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Shane Diener: Winner of the Dakar Challenge at the Oz Safari last year: 1 of 3 aussies left in it, no? GOod show, guys!

This is the team that have the job of maintaining my bike, they had a couple big nights after my crashes on days 2 & 4, and they are very happy to see me come in smiling as that means only routine maintenance. They have been doing an excellent job. Left to right: Momo, Bruno's mechanic; myself; Nico, my mechanic he has had the most work of the mechanic's! Fifi, truck driver, tyre changer etc; Franck, the team owner, he coordinates the Yamaha factory riders also; Sylvain, Xavier's mechanic. It's a bit difficult discussing problems but heaps of pointing at parts gets the general message!

If someone asked me to go for a 600km trailride I would probably say no, it's much easier to drive with music, heating and cooling etc. Other than with DA, KB and Jav and crew have I ever done such a thing, luckily there was always beer on board!
Today's ride was good, fast flowing tracks, heaps of rocks, hills, dunes etc, but still with heaps of things to catch you out or bring you undone in a fraction of a second, as Troy O'Connor found out in the last 100km, he's ok just a bit sorer than when he left this morning.
Passed a heap of riders and finished 20, about time I got my shit sorted. I even managed some wheelies today Ross Briggs.
Another 350km stage followed by a 350km liaison for tomorrow with about 150km of them in dunes and sand, but didn't once hate them today.
I had a Mini go past me again today, but at least my buzzer was working so I got a few seconds warning today. I was happy to see them jacking the back right up on the edge of the track, so I managed to finish in front of the cars, but more importantly pass a Mini. They are crazy vehicles, Dad would love them!

Large nice, Image:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...26644248_o.jpg

SOmething I've been thinking about: those 450's just dont look any smaller than the big displacement bikes. They're still enormous. Which makes me wonder about the actual size of some of these guys who make the bikes look like toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Quote:

I read a twitter post, and it looks to be true, that Laia had the fastest split time between WP 12 and WP 14 of any moto.
Quote:
Go here for Darryl Curtis's Stage 11 Interviews of Marc Coma, Riaan Van Niekerk & Jordi Viladoms

https://soundcloud.com/broadlinkktm

&

Stage 11 Summary

http://smartonline.eai.co.za:6107/SM...any=Dakar%20SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

With ads, but did you set it on HD................................................ .............
Quote:
webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, most from stage 10; honestly, one of their best days yet... so many great shots!

bikes

#27 - MARC GUASCH (ESP) [GAS - GAS]

#83 - PATRICIO CABRERA (CHL) [KAWASAKI]

#103 - XAVIER DE SOULTRAIT (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#30 - RIAAN VAN NIEKERK (ZAF) [KTM]

#23 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) [SHERCO]

Quote:

bikes

#15 - KUBA PRZYGONSKI (POL) [KTM]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#79 - ALBERTO SANTIAGO ONTIVEROS (ARG) [YAMAHA]

Quote:

bikes

#85 - PEDRO PENATE MUNOZ (ESP) [KTM]

#126 - JAN BASTIAAN NIJEN TWILHAAR (NLD) [KTM]

#75 - TROY O'CONNOR (AUS) [KTM]

#44 - PEDRO OLIVEIRA (PRT) [SPEEDBRAIN]

#74 - HENRICUS VOGELS (NLD) [KTM]

Quote:

bikes

#57 - BRUNO DA COSTA (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#86 - CRISTIAN NASER COLOMBO (CHL) [KTM]

#67 - ROBERT VAN PELT (NLD) [HONDA]

#39 - DAVID PABISKA (CZE) [KTM]

#134 - SHANE DIENER (AUS) [YAMAHA]

Quote:
I speculated yesterday that the protest was possibly in relation to her request for re-seeding?

While she did finish stage 9 in 14th overall initially, she was bumped down a couple of places to 16th overall once all the timing and penalties of other riders were taken into account, which 'technically' meant she was no longer eligible for re-seeding?

I imagine that HRC had 'negotiations' with the ASO in that regard, and got her the re-seeding spot?

Clearly she has the pace, but you know ASO - rules is rules!

Jx
Good catch Jenny!

Quote:
Let's git it oooon boyz 'n girls.

Marc "Master blaster" Coma has played his ace and will seal the deal on the back half of this tough day 11/12 atacama stretch.

Surreal Despray is up front and will (hopefully) show his uneaqualed AREA 51 navigation skills, lead from the front and MAKE TIME on the mortals in his Yamaha's cross hair sight. He wants to stand on the podium dammit!

Will Laia break some more hearts today...? Is Casteus burcitis still playing up...? Did Muggleton submit for a cavity search? Has Manny got over that silicone induced beard rash from the rest day...? Is the valley of doom pointer man now safely in protective custody somewhere in Siberia ? and most importantly... how many friggin' nav screens and aids has Bam bam used this year?

The answer to these questions and much, much more f5olk's - comin' at you live, in full semi-concious colour - right here; at the one, the only, the un-original F5iiiiiiiiiive... DAKAR!

Brought to you by ADVRider.com and Baldy... no proof of purchase necessary.

NOTE: limited to one item per family. Children under the 150 cm minimum height restriction or pregnant women with heart complaints or other conditions are advised not to board this ride.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #279
Flood OP
F5lood.

Mechanical trouble for Barreda
From Dakar.com:

The Spanish biker is trying to repair his Honda after 264 km of the special. He is approximately 25 km from the leading group. The cause of his problems is as yet unknown.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #280
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
When I step back and look at the results, a few things come out.

1) Coma is the master. Going back through the last decade, he had a couple of victories close that did not come- mud gate, tire gate, getting knocked silly on that tree in Africa... anyway, I'm not sure there is anyone who can carry the same pace as him with the same level of consistency and safety, nor anyone who navigates as consistently.

2) Barreda has impressed the hell out of me. It is much easier to get someone with pitching speed to get the ball across the plate, than to get someone who puts the ball across the plate, to speed it up. That's the first and last time I'll ever make a baseball analogy, but I think he has an amazing turn of speed (duh) but also a lot of steel in there to keep on it day after day. I think he will develop to take fewer chances but keep most of the speed he has, and watch out world when he does.

3) Villadoms had basically never ridden the bike before the race. Guess it's a good'un. Guess he's not bad at riding it, either. Job well done.

4) Pain: Quietly going about his business. Less airtime than others up here, more results.

5) Helder: To me, it seems like he is the other side of the Barreda coin. He has always been careful and consistent, and that has served him well at times. In this race, it seems like it is not helping him achieve his goal, not that 5th is bad, but I bet he wanted more. It seems like he has warmed up (or others have cooled down) but early on, he didn't have the speed that would give him a cushion now.

6) CdP: What needs to be said?

I still look at his bike and think it looks too active. Lots of wheel movement, lots of swappy looking behavior. There was some scuttlebutt about suspension a few pages back... a few thoughts here:

- It looked to me from a closeup at the bivvy that CdP's running pretty much stock components, which is not surprising given how good they are and can be made to function. All of the various twin chamber designs that are available these days are just amazing compared to what was factory just a decade ago.

A friend was a factory racer when the first works WP twin chamber stuff came out, he said it was unrideable anywhere but sand whoops. Now it is magic carpet plush.

- I am told the KTM 52mm alu forks (like Chaleco had) are 30k EURO to RENT for the race (that includes a works trax shock, too). Mere cone valves can be had for less than $5k to buy. The rental fee includes time from a technician, and the alu tubes have short service interval so they are replaced during the race I believe. They are about 7lbs lighter IIRC.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #281
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com,

Despres and Coma In order of arrival, the two leaders of the special run together, but they are missed a Way Point (a compulsory passage point) which would have been a heavy penalty. So they turned around to hang this point and then resumed the normal course of the special point to stop stopwatch.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #282
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
BBB no longer in top 4

Despres has a real chance at 3rd

(This was taken from ASO General Rankings)

Pos. N° Name Mark Time variation Penalty
COMA (ESP)
KTM
52:40:16 - 00:15:00
VILADOMS (ESP)
KTM
54:40:05 01:59:49 00:15:00
PAIN (FRA)
YAMAHA
54:50:32 02:10:16 00:15:00
DESPRES (FRA)
YAMAHA
54:54:17 02:14:01 01:00:30

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #283
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
Dakar.com:

The Spanish Honda rider is slowly making progress along the special stage holding on to his steering head. He tried to make repairs more than an hour ago, but it evidently was not sufficient. He is now in the dunes and is having more and more difficulty finding the Way Points (compulsory points of passage). The end of the stage looks to be a difficult one for the occupant of second place in the general standings... Will he make it to the finishing line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
Dakar.com:

"After having managed to resume the stage Joan Barreda stopped again to carry out further repairs on his steering head, before resuming the special. He still has 25 km to cover before the finishing line, perhaps the longest 25 km of his career…"

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 09:05 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #284
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Stage 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Damn fool.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #285
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

In memory of Brodovitch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier
This is now my favourite post from last year!
Quote:
Brodo... here is your F5 Champions gold medal mate...

As thanks in return for your invaluable contribution to the sport of F5 virtual Dakar racing, and the creation of the term to forever forthwith be known as...

"Brodomath"

Closed Thread