Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo (& piglet) View Post
despres clocked at 174kmh this morning - that yamaha ain't slow!

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo (& piglet) View Post
i shall also say goodnight - big day tomorrow! - and leave you with this...

In case you've not seen them yet - a great selection of photos (as ever) from the boston globe site:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ally_2014.html

looks like they even caught our pointy man(ny) in the act... and it turns out there were two of them!* - no wonder there was so much confusion!

*disclaimer. According to the caption this photo is actually from stage 11, and that is etienne lavigne and dr. David delgado... But when has that stopped stoking a good conspiracy theory eh?!

Night all.

Jx

^^The pic above died for some reason so I chose my own one from that link of Jennies, its a must!!

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 07:02 PM
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #302
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Anton Shibalov loves dusty roads...
Anton Shibalov (driver) R. Amatych (co-driver) and A. Khisamiev (co-driver) create a cloud of dust on this passage from Antofagasta to El Salvador. Stage 11 offers another chance to minimize the gap of 4h to the leaders.
© Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool

De Villiers wins the dust cloud contest today
Giniel de Villiers (driver) and Dirk van Zitzewitz (co-driver) race during the 11th stage of Dakar Rally from Antofagasta to El Salvador, Chile. With no doubt de Villiers wins the contest for the thickest dust cloud today.

Marc Coma charging through Stage 11
Marc Coma races during the 11th stage of Dakar Rally from Antofagasta to El Salvador, Chile on January 16th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Cyril Despres claimed Stage 12 win

Team SMG busy working on a buggy
SMG mechanic working on a buggy at the bivouac in Iquique, Chile on January 15th, 2014.

Adam Malysz drifting over a rocky pathp
Adam Malysz (driver) and Marton Rafal (co-driver) still have the chance for a top finish if all works out during the 12th stage from El Salvador to La Serena and on the final stage tommorow.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #303
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I am somewhat surprised by this.

Yesterday, Dakar posted those NSF photos of Ana Polina standing in the Bivy and on the side of the road.

Today they they post this.

(Now, I am certainly not complaining. I rather like it. Just surprised.
--------------------------------------

Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race

Today, the number 69, Hugo Payen #69, has a great support along the track from his best fan: Anna Polina!

Hoy, el número 69, Hugo Payen, tiene un gran apoyo en la pista, de su mejor fan: Anna Polina!

‪#‎dakar2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Chavo Salvatierra

Ya estoy en La Serena, después de terminar la penúltima etapa. Hoy al km 9 de carrera golpee muy violentamente una piedra escondida dentro del polvo, y fui expulsado de la moto. Gracias a Dios no me paso nada, la moto se arruino el roadbook, asi que fui toda la carrera atras de Paolo Ceci . Falta poco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
At the end of the day, that's not a bad result for Joan. He crashed hard, he is uninjured, he made a new friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Guess who this is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post

Go Mike!!

BTW, Mike is an inmate here and in addition to a pile of CRF's he also owns a 640Adv AND a KLR! The KLR (and his insistence that it's a quality bike) always cracks me up, especially when coming from a guy that has such an impressive race resume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
This truly was an amazing day... full of all the unexpected, yet expected drama, twists and turns.

Here's some interesting thoughts about tomorrow...

Salvatierra will most likely land at top 15. Really an incredible feat for a regionalite. He should receive high honors from the spectators and major respect from the competition. Imagine breaking into a top 15 Dakar in your own backyard... I'd go grab a sexy Chileno right after the finish for some additional fireworks celebrations if I were so lucky to be him!!!

Jakes could actually break into the top ten if he has a great ride and Casteau fatigues... Could you imagine making it into this year's top ten on the final stage.

There's plenty of motivation for a shoot out ahead.

Casteau, Svitko and Gouet will need to keep focused to prevent being bumped out of the top ten... which would be a severe letdown after all they've been through. They better hope Jakes doesn't have one amazing run left in him.

Bang Bam Boom Barreda... Any normal person would be ecstatic to end in 7th, just ask the riders I listed above. But we really don't know what BB will truly be satisfied with. I'm hoping he still has one big fire burning left in him. He is a wild horse here, and he could still move up a notch if mother Murphy still has a few more tricks up her sleeve. If I was team Honda, at this point, I'd play the wild card I was dealt. I'd set Boom Boom on fire and tell him to ride like he was being chased by the devil ( in otherwords, continue on, business as usual). Because, in hindsight things always look worse, just like any big gamble that's ever gone bad. And it's only the failed ones that smell bad. His plan was flawed, but he had the bravado to actually try pressuring the leader into an error. I think, had he not tried, he would have second guessed himself all the way to his death bed. He lived his second to the last stage like most people could only be so lucky living each day of their life... he lived it like there was no tomorrow. I still think BB has a ton of spirit left and I wouldn't be surprised... no, actually... I'm going out on a limb here to say he only falls a couple times and maintains his 7th position.

Kuba has ridden a Hell of a race, and he's only around 17" from top 5 at 6th... He must be thinking... I'm that close to TOP F&%king 5. You can believe that's motivation for him.

So that leaves Kuba breathing down on Helder's back at 5th.

And Helder's some 6" down from taking over Cyril's spot at 4th... Yeah, well I only see Cyril moving upward.

Cyril is clearly within stricking distance of Pain at 4 mins. for a 3rd podium spot. That's doable for Cyril. And there's even an outside chance he could gain 14" on Pain for 3rd if Pain is forced into a navigational error.

Pain has a ton of pressure trying to preserve a 3rd podium position with a rider like Cyril breathing down on him. This has got to be one of the worst spots to have. Imagine contemplating that at night while completed the road book... "Shit, I've got Cyril chasing Helder.... and I've got Helder chasing me... and I'll have to navigate my ASS out of this."

Jordi's only 10" ahead of Pain in 2nd Podium, and you can bet Pain's thinking there's a change to move up. And Basically Jordi will be leading the race. The big question here is whether that pressure's too much for Jordi. And I personally would not be surprised if by a very slim chance... Cyril has his best performance of the entire rally and out navigates, out performs and flat out hustles his way into 2nd place. I'm sticking my neck out here (as I'm known to do every once in a while)nand putting my chips on the table for Cyril... not only to pull off an upset of both Pain and Villadoms, but one of the greatest upsets and comebacks in Dakar history. It's a long shot and there's only one person I'd trust who could pull that needle out of the Antifagasto sand. Cyril Despres.

And as we already know... the winner of this race, orchestrated in brilliant fashion is Mr. Smooth Marc Coma. But hold on, there's still drama here... Will Marc help handle some of Jordi's navigation and secure Jordi's position as a 2nd podium finisher. If so will it be Team KTM vs. Team Yamaha for the final stage.

And above all else, what trickery will ms. Murphy bring to the table in tomorrows last and final finish to another superb Dakar?

What was a year in anticipation... Is now only seemingly moments away from an end.

And a big thanks to this awesome adv family. It's nice to know there are other rally F5eaks out there besides me.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #304
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmdz View Post
Barreda's exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
From yesterday

Brett Cummings starts for the next days stage from Antofagasta to El Salvador. Chile 16th January 2014 Charles Coxe CB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy safari carpente
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadie1 View Post
I don't really know why, but not a lot of recognition on here for the performance of Jordi Viladoms.

Really ..... he has done a fantastic job. After watching him go about his business in the Serres Rally 2013 (which he won against some tough competition, on a Gas Gas!), this would appear to be yet another typically low profile, business like, professional couple of weeks from him ...... and he is running 2nd in the toughest race in the world ..... just like that ...... after a last minute bike switch.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. What a ride. I think M Coma lucked out there. Could he have gotten a better support rider ..... I think not!

Go Jordi.
He has been Mr Consistent/stay out of the headlines in many ways this ride... hasn't he? Well during the race I mean.

There is a whole other ying/yang, Karma/reap what you sow, ironically bittersweet aspect to Viladom's Dakar 2014 story that goes back to the evnts involving Kurt's unfortunate departure, the subsequent GasGas defection of Jordi to KTM at the 11th hour... guardian angel stickers on the screen etc.

All of that aside... from stage 1 thru 12, Viladoms has ridden a slightly steadier than Alien pace, posted consistent results, with minimal delays/misstakes and as a result he is 180 km's or so away from a 2nd place podium, as water carrier to his factory KTM team mate, and (if all goes to plan) secure the #1 and #2 plates for the Mattighofen Maffia (again).

Yep, that qualifies as two weeks job well done, after a well calculated (if little risky) last minute career move. Good gamble paid off it would seem?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Good ol' "lucky number 13" eh...?

I have had the patented BrodomathTM calculator out ham f5istedly crunching the numbers in an attempt to guess where "off the broom" Boom Boom Barreda might end up on SS13 if he disengages the BRAIN button and puts it into warp(SPEED) drive in a last ditch effort to confirm he is the fastest out there...

The interesting thing about the "reverse start" order is that it has the effect of "bunching" the field towards the closing stages of the SS. in the normal situation where the fastest start out front, the physical time gaps between each of the competitors (typically/theoretically) increase - kind of like a piano accordian being stretched.

With the reverse order, the rear of the field closes on the front (who are travelling on average slower) so that (again theoretically) by the two thirds of the stage completed, the middle third of the field gets closer (in physical proximity) to each other... ie. the accordian is compressed.

here's where the "passing in dust" and danger element that too old mentioned above comes in. Not only is barreda and the other Alien/elite at the rear of field moving forward through the mid pack... but the slowest riders off the front (some in limp home/get to the finish mode) are effective being overtaken/sucked back into the middle third of the pack as well.

The Brodocalculator got all einstein theory like for a while but the layman's translation came up; "it's gonna end in tear's for somebody"

If conditions were dust free then theortically purely based on speed difference between the elite, and the amatuers off the front... the last 20 riders are between 30 to 25% faster over the 157 km's than those off first. If it were "clear sailing" then Barreda could pick off 15 to 20 riders ahead... but in the dust? Russian Roulette.

If it is dusty/hard to pass... given his start position (and the 10 minute fresh air he starts with in front of him) david Casteu is in the box seat to set a good stage time (win? ) maybe not considering his shoulder injury?

It should be f5un
Quote:
Quote:
HE is a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares View Post
Quote:
Quote:
72 YEARS OLD AND STILL RIDING

Quote:

Nani not very happy about things - Spanish

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Boy oh boy! How unfortunate the whole affair and how uncomfortable for Nani Roma. It's worth a translation but I can't do it fast enough. Basycally he says that he's not in his position by chance that they have worked very very hard to be there and that the pression is a lot and that he doesn't deserve the whole thing. He is not clear on the team orders, says that he didn't think there were clear tema orders, just a recommendation to go slower [and this shows an umprobable naivity] and then goes on sayin that there always were team orders in Dakar, mentions the Mistus, Jead Todt's coin, and even himself last year. He says that soem Dakars were settled on rest day. He referes to Peterhansel Alphand and Lavigne as Mr. Peterhansel, Mr Alphand and Mr Lavigne and pulls the "I'm spanish and this is a french race" card. WHAT A MESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
A lot of interesting and contradicting stuff. At first he said that the public has read more into this than it is, nothing fishy about yesterday. He waived Peter on when twice he came close because Nani had lost time, fair and square.

BUT then he says that team orders always existed and he has seen winners being decided on rest day, that he always respected team orders and that he has sacrificed his race on team orders.

And then, yes, he mentions the French - ASO thing, Poor Spaniards get screwed all the time...

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 05:51 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #305
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
You pot a red ball and then a colour, the coloured ball then goes back on the table.

When all the red balls are potted, the colours then have to be potted in a specific order yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, black and this time they don't go back. When they are all down, it's over!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #306
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
To follow up on my article from last night

David Casteu held his 10th position and is only 9 minutes behind Svitco in 9th! I think he will attack after reading his letter tonight.

Riaan van Niekerk maintained his position in 12th oveerall after getting 11th position in the stage. Moreover Michael Metge has some kind of issue and is now an hour behind him with no one in between. He was not able to catch Ivan Jakes in 11th who is now 30 minutes in front of him. He should bring a solid 12th in this year - not want he was looking for maybe but anything in the to top twenty is superhuman.

Chavo Salvatierra is just 9 minutes behind Metge in the same position as yesterday, 14th. I doubt he will be able to catch Metge because he is quit a bit faster than the two or three guys in front of him.

Laia Sanz comes in 20 miuntes after Henk in 16th overall after coming 12th today. Wow she continues to impress, but she will have to watch out: Chile's Claudio Rodriguez is just 6 minutes behind her, with two other guys after that 5 and 10 minutes after that. No mistakes for Laia please!

Robert Van Pelt (Sorry I called him Richard yesterday!) beat Brett again today, and established a very solid 1st position in the malle moto class. He came 21 today and is clearly someone to watch in the coming years given he is only 20 years old!! His overall position is 24th about half an hour behind Honda factory rider Pizzolito with another 30 minute gap behind him.

Brett Cummings came 38th today which is outstanding but I think he has wisely eased off the gas a bit to ensure a clean finish. What a hero and 2nd in malle moto class in 28th overall. He has 90 minutes to catch van Pelt which is now very unlikely indeed. Still to win 5/12 stages in his class is a fantastic achievement. Life will be dull after this!

Brett is 26 minutes behind Swedish colonel and semi-pro riderMiran Stanovik now, but Bianchi Prata another pro is catching up and is just 11 minutes behind him! Don't slow down tomorrow Brett! Regardless, what class!!!

Shane Diener came 31st today, repeating yesterdays great performance, and is still 39th but is now just 5 minutes away from beating fellow Aussie Allan Roberts for 38th and 2nd Aussie boy in! You biscuit!

Mongolian representative Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo maintained 61st position despite coming 45th today. What a boytjie but unfortunately for him there are big gaps this far back. But he is only 7 seconds short of pipping Mexican Carlos Grazida for 60th. If he can finish tomorrow, his 3rd attempt, it will be the first time a Mongolian has finished the Dakar!

And finally Jose Ignacio Chivite has moved up one place in the overall to 77th but most importantly tomorrow he will finish the Dakar 2014 !!!

Only 78 people in the world have the opportunity finish the 2014 Dakar Rally tomorrow as riders, hopefully all of them make it somehow.

This years Dakar has gone so quickly but it has been a very entertaining one indeed. I think tomorrow somehow have its share of drama as well.

After that its only another 50 weeks of waiting.....

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #307
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
hey wake up everyone... it's f5 rampant speculation, wild innuendo and baseless predition time...!!!

STAGE 13 is gonna be a REVERSE ORDER start....

Yep, the Marcster blaster Coma is last out the gate and racing to the flag with a buffer and all the soldiers in front of him.

Mudboy is 4th last off the line and has the two names he is chasing (for a podium spot) just immediately behind. Can Cyril pull out the @ 4 minutes he need and ride away from Pain to clinch 3rd step on podium from his Yamaha team mate? Well to do so, it is NOT just about who is quickest in an outright head to head race... Because they are BOTH going to have to pick off/pass back markers while doing so, if they are at even semi-Alien pace. Dust conditions? It's Chilé... what else?

This could turn into a GNCC like dash to the flag for the two Yamaha pilots?

Realistically Despres cannot catch the 15 minutes to Viladoms that he needs in the distance left (SS13 157 km's) to secure second - that is unless jordi have a problem or screws the pooch.

But the race for 3rd place could be well and truly ON!!!

Before admiring the hillsides brought to life by the houses in Valparaiso, the drivers will have to climb the hills planted with cacti during the rally's last special stage.
The pride and joy of crossing the finish line is drawing closer, but the statistics are formal: every year one or several drivers come unstuck during this final exercise so prudence is required! Even this close to the finish, vigilance is the competitors' best ally to ensure their presence on the final podium: the first one organised at night in the history of the Dakar.
La Serena > Valparaíso

Distance
Car
Truck
Bike
Quad
connection
DistanceSchedule
122 km
122 km
122 km
122 km
08:54 - 11:09
08:54 - 11:09
07:00 - 08:50
07:00 - 08:50
special stage
DistanceSchedule
157 km
157 km
157 km
157 km
11:19 - 13:24
11:19 - 13:24
09:00 - 11:05
09:00 - 11:05
connection
DistanceSchedule
256 km
256 km
256 km
256 km
13:34 - 16:20
13:34 - 16:20
11:15 - 14:00
11:15 - 14:00

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

Map

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #308
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
It would seem that the start order for the FINAL STAGE SS13 is in REVERSE ORDER of the General classification (overall) as at end Stage 12... not the SCRATCH RESULT of SS 12 (as is usual for a normal day re-start).

Here is the start list the last 20 riders to leave the DSS on todays SS13;

7409:36:00- -

7609:37:00- -

3109:38:00- -

3909:39:00- -

5209:40:00- -

5009:41:00- -

2809:42:00- -

4009:43:00- -

1709:44:00- -

3009:45:00- -

1609:46:00- -

909:56:00- -

1909:59:00- -

2610:02:00- -

310:05:00- -

1510:08:00- -

710:11:00- -

110:14:00- -

610:17:00- -

410:20:00- -

210:23:00- -

From pos. 58 to pos. 68, there is a one minute start gap between each rider.

The riders ahead of them (pos. 1 thru pos. 57) each have 30 second start intervals... not "two at a time" as on other stages.

As you can see, between pos. 68 and pos. 69 the ASO have put in a 10 minute "dust gap" in the starting order... and the last 10 riders have 3 minutes each between them.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #309
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 AM   #310
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Re Peter/Nani: tdp said that tomorrow (today), all team orders have been retracted, maybe that's the public image they want out, and behind closed doors it has been settled already (which way we will find out in short while)..

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #311
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Malle moto,how many years did he finish?

What is in a name!!!!!

Richard de Groot, Richard "the GREAT"

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #312
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com

As the Dakar comes to a close, hat-tip to Laia Sanz, the only female motorcycle rider to make it to the finish, with a very enviable 16th place. In the category of motorcycles without assistance, Dutchman Robert van Pelt is in the lead ahead of South African Brett Cummings and fellow Batavian Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar. Finally, another Dutchman sits at the top of the rookie classification, as Henricus Vogels leads Chile's Cristian Naser Colombo and Frenchman Xavier de Soultrait..

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #313
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosto View Post
Thanks for the Dakar thread on ADV. Loving it.

I found this on enduro.nl about Twilhaars towing adventure.
Google translate is quick and a bit rough but you get the idea.

"Sorry to call so late , but something came up." Those were the first words of Bas Nijen Twilhaar when he made the daily telephone call after midnight to the Netherlands . " But it was for a good cause.
Near the end of the special I found some Honda parts. I thought this is not right. I saw no other bike and no rider. But at the finish was a battered Honda of Joan Barreda . The bike was not running anymore. I could understand that because just about all the wiring was in half and the front and back were badly damaged. That must have been a huge crash .
The Honda did not start. With jumper cables from onlookers with cars they tried to get the engine going again but could not. He asked me if I wanted to tow him. I actually have not thought and immediately said yes. Little did I know that it was going to be 350 km towing.
I had a tow rope with me and have some experience with towing in the Czech Republic . A tow rope to the footpeg and then go.
Barreda wanted me to go fast, preferably faster than 100 km / h but the entire Honda management in three vans drove up behind us, panicked . Slowly , slowly they cried.
But Barreda wanted as fast as possible. The Spaniard was not easy because he had to steer with one hand and hold the navigation stuff with the other hand . At one point the front of the Honda broke off but we stayed upright. The people at Honda have loaded all the broken stuff in the van and Barreda was completely in pieces.
He has thanked me a hundred times , just as the team led by Honda . Only Henk Knuiman later in the camp, was not so happy . Had just let him stand , which had gained me a place he said. But I do not believe that Henk was serious.
After everything was cleaned up , we could continue on with the Honda vans behind us . Halfway on the connection , I think after almost 200 km, there was a checkpoint on the way . We missed it, by all the consternation . Luckily I saw it before it was too late. We went off the highway and back to a gas station to get that checkpoint . I have absolutely no penalty , and I want to keep it that way.
After more than five hours we reached the camp together.
The people at Honda have thanked me and said that they will drop by tomorrow. I will see. In itself, I thought it was a normal act to help someone.
And it 's something different. "
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #314
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Closed Thread