Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Faria:
"I didn't bother much with this first stage, rode in a cautious pace without making mistakes and this 12th position may be important to get a good result tomorrow where we face the first dunes in a special timed with twice the miles that we had today . "

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 05:28 PM
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #32
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
One for the Brits....

Jamie Smith #153

Quote:
2014 Dakar Rally Overall Standings after Stage 1
1. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 2:25:31
2. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 2:26:08
3. Cyril Despres, FRA (Yamaha) 2:27:11
4. Alain Duclos, FRA (Sherco) 2:27:27
5. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 2:27:56
6. Chaleco Lopez, CHL (KTM) 2:28:55
7. Juan Pedrero Garcia, ESP (Sherco) 2:29:18
8. Michael Metge, FRA (Yamaha) 2:30:04
9. Sam Sunderland, GBR (Honda) 2:30:04
10. Alessandro Botturi, ITA (Speedbrain) 2:30:19

or

Honda
KTM
Yamaha
Sherco
Honda
KTM
Sherco
Yamaha
Honda
Speedbrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Aussies are going ok, Grabham +4'50 and Deiner +21'00"
But Troy O'Conner is only just behind Deiner at +21'30" which is non too shabby either !

I'm well impressed with Allan coming in at +34'29" He finished two hours ahead of me earlier this year at the Condo 750 which is a two day event so I'm really interested to see how his speed stacks up over the course of the rally

Clayton Jacobsen finished +54'10"
And Mark Davidson came in at +1.00'6"

Easy stage I guess and the last three are all in it just for a finish but it's good to see them all getting along and not stuck by the side of the road

Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
What's the go with the Kawasaki's this year, only 5 in total and after D1 3 are coming 54, 55 and 56 place, must be riding as a team.

Cheers Fogo...
Quote:
Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #33
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWuc5kar3Y

Now warning lights are flashing down at policy control
Somebody threw a SPAMMER - they threw him in the hole
There's rumors in the DAKAR thread, and anguish all around
Some mody’s buzzer’s whistlin’ and the walls are comin’ down

There's a meeting in the basement - they're trying to trace the smell
There's fake n00bs down in Jo’ Mamma – and Baldy’s mad as hell!
Somewhere out in cyberspace some c%&t was heard to sneeze
'goodness me - could this be – the f5irehose Disease?

The threadtaker was crucified for speaking of this post
They're refusing to re-classify, his whim they blame the most
The Bluebull's got maybe’s - and Balkan's not pl-eased
… everyone's concerned about this f5irehose Disease

There's panic on the switchboard, threads are tied in knots
HogWild’s out in google earth, while some play join the dots
Some blame the management, none the employees
And everybody knows it's just f5irehose Disease

The RG fans ‘r disgusted he downs tools and walks
Arrogance is injured… experience just talks
Everyone speaks damages and everyone agrees
That these are 'classic symptoms of the f5irehose disease'

At HRC and BMVee they talk about the “curse ”
f5ilosophy is useless, proctology is worse
Secrecy boils over there's a media-manic f5reeze
ADVologists invent “gates” that spread-da’ 'f5ire-hose..... Disease'

Doctor Carpente declared 'I'm not surprised to see you need...
You've got desert cough from Dubai, A-D-D from drinking SPEED
We all know how you came about those luv-ly Red-Bull sleeeeves
But worst of all old tool you've caught the f5irehose Disease'

He wrote him a prescription, he said 'we’re un-impressed
We’re glad you came to greet us, be sure give Sam our best
Come back in a few pages - next inmate please
Send in another victim of the f5irehose Disease' ... ha-ha... Ha! (splendid)

An’ I go down into basement diner I'm thunderstruck
They got f5ree speech purists, mod police (wha.. th..) f5%k!
Two men say they're MYWAY one of them must be wrong?
Where’s Packmule... missing? He singing a protest song - he says

They wanna have a thread to track their DAKARies
'they wanna have a thread to keep our torrents please?
They wanna have a thread to stop us trashing poor RG
They wanna have a thread to stop the f5irehose Disease?

We're pointing out the PC’s to help the deaf and blind
You wanna save your energy for CP’s you can’t find
Give you Rule Book-mania, force-majeure, si habla anglais?
Two weeks in South America - an’ only one rest daze’...

Meanwhile... the f5irst Mischa says - 'I'll cure that fast
his refurbished dakar-tracker, kicks A.S.O.'s in the ASS
The POSIS’s out on hunger strike, it’s dying by degrees
How come even ASO’les can't catch f5irehose Disease...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
only one photo so far. more to come, i'm sure as the photogs get back to basecamp and upload their day's catch.

bikes

#29 - DE AZEVEDO JEAN (BRA | HONDA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
well done Sam Sunderland - 9th

Barreda

US - Stage 1 - Top Moment - (Rosario > San Luis) by Dakar
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
day 1,

...in dutch!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy
Quote:
Yes in dutch... but the question is about "Bam Bam"...

Twice in this clip he is "off"... once off the bike... and once "off" the road (overshoot corner)... and THAT's just on the offchance they caught him on camera?!

How many close calls did he have (riding at that pace) that were not caught by the cameras I wonder?
I don't like it. I wish he would pace himself and take care of body and machine.
I want him to do well, but he's luck pushed to the razor edge can't last for 15 days.

I'm putting my bookmark for the night.
Good night all.
Quote:
Laia Sanz checks in via twitter:

Laia Sanz@LaiaSanz_
A lot of dust today because my race number isn't good and there was a lot of riders who have started before me.

I've taken it easy but after a few km I've passed some riders. My 35th place is a good result #Dakar #Dakar2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Top 30 times in a more visual format... Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
With Kevin Muggleton

And the music

ich hab keine lust,
I have no pleasure
mir is kalt, zu kalt zu kalt
i am cold, to cold, to cold

Tim, translate
Quote:

@dakar espectacular el paso de las maquinas hoy por Córdoba #Dakar2014 pic.twitter.com/OffK0tuwdm
Quote:
Sousa finished the 180km special from Rosario to San Luis in 2hr 20min 36sec with Argentina's Orlando Terranova, in a Mini, 11 seconds behind and fellow Mini driver, Qatar's 2011 champion Nasser Al-Attiyah, in third, 47 seconds back.

Sousa said he "suffered like a dog" after his Chinese-made Haval over-heated, sending dirty air into the driver's compartment.

"Our car doesn't have air conditioning and all the air inlets got clogged. After 50 kilometres, the turbo air outlet broke down and sent all the air directly towards me," he said.

"It must have got hotter than 70 degrees centigrade and we had trouble breathing. The reason I drove so fast was that I wanted to get out of that inferno, but I really thought we wouldn't make it.

"We suffered like dogs to earn it."

http://world.einnews.com/article/183...5XTx3UthFRCaHH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Sakke View Post
Nice Troy

57 133 - TRIISA TOOMAS (EST) CRF 450 DAKAR X +00:25:43
118 117 - MEERU MART (EST) CRF 450 DAKAR X +00:46:16
Toomas had a very good day considering his experience in rally raids (or lack thereof). These fast and not so navigationally complicated stages should suit him pretty well.
Mart presented a solid amateur's performance - nothing exceptional but also nothing to complain about. Job well done.
Quote:
RedBull image of the day.

Local hero Marcos Patronelli
Marcos Patronelli finishes a strategic second place after the first stage of Dakar Rally 2014. The Argentinian is just 21 seconds behind Chile's Ignacio Casale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Dunno why I have to follow the family every single time they go out... I still end up wondering out scratching my head and browsing/trying to follow via my mobile phone and I and up draining the battery. Even a 10000mAmp battery pack did not help

Peter Hardy

Last rider on Stage 1:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Seems like fimp is in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Long day for him.

188 - MILLET FREDERIC (FRA) +07:30:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Awesome

7+ hours behind the leader...still has a long liaison ahead of him and likely needs to fix whatever mechanical issues he had today along with regular bike maintenance. Setup his tent, eat whatever food is left at that time of night (likely just the pasta bar), etc

He is doing this the really, really hard way

Giver
Quote:
Fred is still out, I hope he takes care of himself, it will be a long night, but he will never give up

Gilbert Escale indeed made it to the Bivouac, have no idea what the mechanical problem was. I am amazed he took the bike out of the stage anyways...

As far as the general standings, I think we have to cool down. Of course the team are using them to their advantage (See HRC press - I would do the same ) but hey, I am sure the oldies are playing with the newbies at the moment. Win 7 stages, but if by day eight you are as good as a doorknob, we will see who wins Dakar. And CP, even if I don't like him as much as I like Coma, he has the crowns, he has the experience and he did not crash in stage 1
I am impressed by most riders, 3 minutes bring you close to 40 .

I am sure over in stage 2, the heat will be the same. I think HRC is going to be very fun to watch. Full throttle every day, I hope they make it to the end without swapping engines. But for me, this is not a sprint, although most young riders and today in general it felt like it. The opening stage, everybody wanted to win, blah blah blah... They will understand that they need endurance (both riders and bikes) to win this race. I mean, they know it, but they get carried a bit... .

Some photos....

Ben >

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #35
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Interview with Francesco Beltrami here (in Italian):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHguXc9xw6E

He says that the bike had a problem with the fifth gear and basically he rode today's stage only with its fourth gear (). Also he suffered the same problem with the fuel pump that had yesterday. Now he has to find an engine to continue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
2014 Dakar Rally Stage 1 Robby Gordon Quotes

"I don't know what's going on. We drove it 1,000km down the highway, no problems during testing, but from the moment we started the special, we had vapor lock problems and we had to stop. Then, all the other fluids started to overheat, so we had to stop at least five or six times... At the end, we had stopped for the umpteenth time when competitor no. 390 hooked us up big time and offered to tow us to the end of the special."

"Honestly, it's strange,The car is running fine now, and I'm going to drive it away,but I don't know why this happened. It's weird. We'll have a look at it in the bivouac, although it's disappointing to lose two or three hours on the very first day of racing"

http://www.planetrobby.com/forum/top...stage-1-quotes
Quote:
ITALIAN CARLO SEMINARA #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
A secret source informs me....

Sam's back brake failed him (like it did in Morocco)
This caused a crash early in the stage
He got a bit banged up
His bars bent
Then he got up, after losing time, and finished in the top ten
Unsure if he finished the stage without a rear brake

GO!!! Sam GO!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I'm glad Robbie is in to fight another day. Lets hope he solves that "leaking fluid" vapour lock problem we saw in the one video in the build up thread.

David Casteu
translated:
" I'M LEARNING TO TAME MY FACTORY MACHINE "

Sunday, January 5, 2013 - Step 1

David crossed the finish of the first stage disputed line between Rosario and San Luis at the 13th place, 5'32 '' leader Barreda . For him , learning his new KTM is on the track , not having had time to do a lot of kilometers of tests:

"It was a very tough special , very slippery , with many turns that closed , he said Sunday , just after arrival, enjoying a coffee in an Argentine bar , not far from San Luis .
" I learned to tame my factory machine. It is completely different, I have not done any testing with , I need time to adapt ."

That is why more than 5 minutes of the first , David has made a practice run without trying to force his talent :
"I'm happy because I thought I had done a lot worse, I lost the front and rear. Going to have make suspensions settings."

Apart from these small changes expected, David is happy to finally be in the race : " It made me feel good to ride , this is it , we left it was a public madness , people pounce on us! . This is amazing as it is adored . Shown here the importance that took the Dakar in Argentina ! "

Monday , 2nd stage between San Luis and San Rafael with the exploration of raw gray dunes .

« J'APPRENDS À DOMPTER MA MACHINE D'USINE »

Dimanche 05 Janvier 2013 – Etape 1

David a franchi la ligne d'arrivée de la première étape disputée entre Rosario et San Luis à la 13e place, à 5'32'' du leader Barreda. Pour lui, l'apprentissage de sa nouvelle KTM se fait sur la piste, n'ayant pas eu le temps de faire beaucoup de kilomètres de tests :
"Ce fut une spéciale très difficile, très glissante, comportant beaucoup de virages qui se refermaient, raconte-t-il, dimanche, juste après l'arrivée, en dégustant un café dans un bar argentin, non loin de San Luis.
"J'apprends à dompter ma machine d'usine. Elle est complètement différente, je n'ai pas fait de tests avec, il me faut un temps d'adaptation".

C'est pourquoi, à plus de 5 minutes des premiers, David a effectué une mise en jambes sans vouloir forcer son talent :
"Je ne suis pas mécontent car je pensais avoir fait beaucoup moins bien, je perdais l'avant puis l'arrière. Il va falloir effectuer des réglages suspensions".

Hormis ces petites modifications à prévoir, David est heureux d'être enfin dans la course : "Ca m'a fait du bien de rouler, ça y est, on est partis ! Il avait un public de folie, les gens se jettent sur nous. C'est hallucinant comme on est adulés. On voit ici l'importance qu'a pris le Dakar en Argentine !"

Ce lundi, 2e étape entre San Luis et San Rafael avec l'exploration des premières dunes grises.

Quote:
0105 Dakar: Motorbikes

Quote:
The Escale Twins

Quote:
Me. But may be because of insomnia

Quote:

From Dakar official FB
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #36
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Some great pics there as usual VDG!!!

Here are just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Baja 1000, San Felipe whoops (left) : Dakar 2014, stage 2 whoops (right)

Quote:

Hmm, only 172 riders shown in the Posis, out of 174. Does this mean our last two guys were disqualified? I think not. Here is why:

Firstly, ASO have not yet published any withdrawals list. No great comfort as this is normally published a day or sometimes even two days in arrears.

However they have published PDF results up in the french section, and these are the results which will go on the notice board in the bivouac.

Here you go:

Stage results with penalties
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs...nts/CEM_01.pdf

Overall results with penalties
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs...nts/CGM_01.pdf

And our boys Gilbert and Frederic are marked as in albeit with late penalties

The shocker of the results is that Michael Metge got slammed with a 41 minute penalty. This would almost certainly have been for speeding somewhere in the liaison or special in a speed-controlled zone. These are clearly marked in the road book.

So he has been knocked all the way down to 114th!!!

Horrific for him no doubt, but it shows us that the field is actually rather fast. I have not checked if he will be reseeded for "safety reasons" but he can certainly ask, and he can also pay a big cash deposit and lodge a protest with the organisation.

So... what it means is that the overall results now look like this:

Well done Grabbo in at 10th, you aussie bastard!!!

Now I need some clever guys to answer this question: What are the classes in the columns 3-8?

Group is yellow (1 for professional) or white (2 for amateur), the classes are numbered and then split out in the subsequent columns.

Stand to correction here but I think "M" is for Malle Moto, "F" is for Female rider, and "1" is for production class?

What are the other class numbers?

Now what really excites me is that Brett Cummings came 64th but was SECOND in the Malle moto class!!! Absolutely fantastic!!

Below are the results other riders I have been following :

Pos. No Group Class Name.............................................. ..............Time.............Time Behind leader
25 16 G1/22 1/22 JAKES IVAN (SVK) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA............ 02h36m13s +10m42s
26 30 G2/4 ..1/4 VAN NIEKERK RIAAN (ZAF) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA 02h36m45s +11m14s
27 27 G1/23 1/23 GUASCH MARC (ESP) GAS - GAS FR RALLY 450 ............02h37m10s +11m39s

32 102 G2/8 1/8 2 REEVE DAVID GREGORY (ZMB) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA 02h41m49s +16m18s
39 40 G2/15 1/14 SALVATIERRA JUAN CARLOS (BOL) SPEEDBRAIN 450 RALLY 02h43m55s +18m24s

42 20 G1/25 1/25 ULLEVALSETER PAL ANDERS (NOR) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA 02h45m47s +20m16s

Wow..not so great Pal Anders.. I reckon he will pull some of this back.

43 134 G2/18 1/16 5 DIENER SHANE (AUS) YAMAHA YZ450 .............................02h46m31s +21m00s
44 67 G2/19 2/3 1 VAN PELT ROBERT (NLD) HONDA CRF450X.................. 02h46m40s +21m09s

64 59 G2/39 2/12 2 CUMMINGS BRETT (ZAF) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA .............02h52m54s +27m23s

76 180 G2/51 1/38 DAMDINKHORLOO BOLDBAATAR (MNG) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA 02h57m15s +31m44s
93 64 G2/68 2/18 LAZARD LAURENT (URY) KTM 450 RALLY................................. 03h01m26s +35m55s
109 82 G2/84 1/62 VALLE OCTAVIO (MEX) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA .........................03h07m56s +42m25s

114 17 G1/26 1/26 METGE MICHAEL (FRA) YAMAHA 450 YZF ..........41m00s ..............03h11m04s +45m33s (PENALTY of 41m)
134 129 G2/108 1/81 37 JACOBSEN CLAYTON (AUS) KTM 450 RALLY FACTORY REPLICA.... 03h19m41s +54m10s
138 92 G2/112 1/85 39 JOHNSON MIKE (USA) HONDA CRF 450 DAKAR X ......................03h23m19s +57m48s

154 167 G2/128 1/95 46 HARDY PETER (USA) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA .......................03h42m04s +01h16m33s
173 97 G2/147 2/40 57 ESCALÉ GILBERT (ESP) SUZUKI RMX 450 ...01h00m00s..... 09h31m25s +07h05m54s Penalty 1 hour
174 188 G2/148 2/41 15 58 MILLET FREDERIC (FRA) KTM 450 EXCA .....01h00m00s...... 10h55m49s +08h30m18s Penalty 1 hour

Quote:
here is a 205 post of stage 2. Thanks Uller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
The hop before the pirouette. Probably right when Barreda was saying "mierda!..."

Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #37
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:

WP1 @ 47km
WP2 @ 118km
WP3 @ 147km
CP1/WP4/refuel @ 177km
WP5 @ 259 or 269km (@split course)
WP6 @ 278km
WP7 @ 313km
ASS @ 359km

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #38
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
There have been a few questions about food, hydration, etc, and in the interest of procrastinating the work I should be doing, let me take a swing at answering.

I'll start by saying that the entry fee for Dakar is ~$20k, and in my opinion, that's a bargain. There is good, quality food waiting everywhere you want it (not easy to achieve!), and the level of support demonstrated with the iritrack/ sentinel system is amazing. This system allows the ASO to know precisely where you are moment by moment, and even allows voice communication and monitoring of your bike's attitude. So, if you stop to pee (like I did, others wear catheters) and forget to push the green button to let them know you are alright, it is an intentional stop, a french voice will shortly come over the intercom. "Mssr Suesse? Are you OK?". In addition, if the system senses a crash, or if the red button is pushed, medical personnel are automatically dispatched. My year, I think the average response time was about 7 minutes. That's better than it is at my home 8 blocks from a hospital, I am sure. Then, of course, there is all the work in making perfect roadbooks, finding great tracks, and the rest.

My point in beginning with this background is that the level of organization is several steps above any other event I have ever participated in, and they have certainly not skimped on the fundamental basics of keeping their athletes fed and hydrated.

The ASO maintains no fewer than 3 complete bivouac setups including kitchens and so on, and they leapfrog them forward so that you leave a fully staffed and set up bivouac, and arrive at the same. Each is near an airport, staff is flown mid-day while the crews and racers are on course- the same person checks you out in the morning and back in that evening. It is a finely tuned machine.

A shot of the food tent at the bivouac:

Now, food and hydration. My day started about 1 hour before my departure time for liasion. Since I typically finished upper-midpack, that was typically about an hour after the leader. They would often leave at 4:30 or so, I was more like 5:30 if I had to guess an average. So, I'd wake up and Deadly99 and I would head to breakfast together. This consisted of cereal, yoghurt, juice, coffee, tea, croissants (that varied in quality from decent to mediocre), toast, coldcuts, runny omelets, cheese, etc. There were plenty of calories available and plenty of variety, even if it wasn't always what you wanted exactly.

Breakfast with Chris Birch

This was one of my favorite times of the day. Some easy chatter, and you started to know the folks who a) were near the same speed as you and therefore eating at near the same time and b) spoke english (since I'm an ugly American who doesn't speak well in any other tongue). Chris and I ate with some regularity.

I'd head back to the truck and get dressed. I would have stocked my jacket the night before with water and Kate's bars (pretty much the most awesome travel food ever!). A big advantage of the Klim Rally jacket is that it can hold everything- tools, documents, food, water, etc. So, I'd just pull it on and head out.

Regarding fluids, I found that the key was more electrolyte balance than pure hydration intake. However, experimenting before the race revealed that all of the mixes that you can put in your camelbak water, made me nauseous. So, I used a ton of Hammer Electrolyte products- the pills, the fizz tablets around camp, and the recovery drinks when I finished the day. On the bike, I drank water.

On the liaison, there were gas stops as necessary, and the ASO would distribute water bottles there. At the DSS (and ASS), the ASO would have water. Any stop during the stage would have water. Typically, I drank a bottle of water every time there was one available, and my camelbak bladder would last the whole day, just occasionally sipping when I wanted to clean the dust out of my mouth.

At every opportunity, I also ate something, whether I was hungry or not. DSS was always a Kate's bar. Gas stops were either another Kate's or Clif Bloks or etc. ASS I would usually just try to get back to the bivvy unless it was a long liaison, in which case I'd have another Kate's.

As for unloading all of this intake, the race is so long that I never felt bad about spending a few minutes here or there keeping myself comfortable. I stopped to pee on stage if necessary (and always tried at the DSS/ ASS/ Fuel/ etc), and I would generally avail myself of the crappers at the bivouac. Hot tip: steal plenty of paper from the person guarding it (yes, really) and if possible, use the ladies rooms.

One special, I was not able to follow the normal schedule, and pulled into gas with an urgent agenda. Unfortunately, it was close by a road, so it was absolutely packed with locals. I didn't have time for modesty, so some South Americans got a show. I know they cheered and clapped, which is pretty much the only time I've been applauded for that particular activity, and I hope it remains that way.

When I'd arrive at the truck, I'd drink a recovery drink and chat with Tim about the bike. Then Deadly and I would go for first dinner, I'd do my roadbook, restock my jacket, and then we'd go have second dinner. Somewhere in there, I'd call Rally Raidio (I really miss that this year!) and then I'd go to sleep. It's a short list of things to spend time on at Dakar- your body, your bike, your roadbook, that's about it.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #39
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com:

173 bikes set off on the link stage this morning, with Chilean Cristián Peralta the only absent rider to a fractured foot injured in a fall yesterday. All the forty quads were in attendance on leaving the bivouac.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #40
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
Not a good day for fimtp yesterday, here is what Frederic's blog reports:

"Un réveil matinal, 4:00, pour Frédéric, puisque les motos et les quads sont les premiers à partir pour cette première étape. Elle relie Rosario à San Luis, compte 809 km dont 629 km de liaison et 180 de spéciale.
Message laissé par Frédéric sur mon téléphone cette nuit :
"Journée très mauvaise, j’ai fait la 1ère liaison avec Yannick, tout s’est bien passé, après il a pris la spéciale plus tôt que moi et après, j’ai pris le départ.
Au bout de 80 km mon moteur coupait encore. Un moteur qui coupe dans la spéciale sur une piste complètement défoncée, c’était un peu difficile, je me suis battu contre la moto, j’ai finalement changé le fameux capteur d’allumage, j’ai roulé 20 km - même pas, et puis ça a recommencé. J’ai changé la bobine, j’ai changé l’antiparasite, j’ai roulé 5 km et puis ça a recommencé et puis finalement j’ai eu l’idée que mon problème venait peut-être du robinet d’essence, parce que le filtre à essence n’était pas très plein donc j’ai bricolé pour éviter de passer par le robinet d’essence et puis là un pied total, ça marchait nickel.

J’ai fait 40 km super fort en fait le robinet était la cause de tous mes problèmes depuis le début et puis comme j’ai perdu beaucoup de temps, je me suis fait rattraper par les camions et puis dans une montée un peu difficile, il y a un camion qui n’a pas mis sentinelle, donc qui ne m’a pas averti qu’il arrivait, donc ça m’a surpris et je me suis couché sur le côté et juste derrière, à 50 m derrière le 1er camion, il y avait un autre camion et lui ne s’est pas écarté et a roulé sur ma moto, il a vraiment tout détruit, la navigation à l’avant déconne, j’ai le guidon de travers, la béquille tordue, les 2 réservoirs arrières enfoncés, le carter d’allumage cassé, je l’ai réparé, ça pissait l’huile, le sabot réserve d’eau qui fuit, la selle a été arrachée, il n’y a rien qui marche. Finalement, j’ai réussi à sortir de la spéciale quand même j’en un peu chié, bon voila , je vais au bivouac et bosser sur la moto toute la nuit, il faut que je vois ce que je peux faire pour repartir demain. Journée de merde, Dakar qui commence mal mais j’ai fini l’étape et je serai classé."

Translation:

An early wake up , 4:00 to Frederick, since motorcycles and ATVs are the first to go for this first step. It connects San Luis Rosario , in 809 km 629 km link and 180 special .
Message left by Frédéric on my phone last night :
" Very bad day , I made the first connection with Yannick , everything went well, after he took special earlier than me and after I took the start.
After 80 km my engine started cutting out. An engine that cuts in a rough track and you are in trouble , it was a bit difficult , I fought against the bike , I finally changed the famous ignition sensor , I drove 20 km - even , and then it happened again . I changed the coil, I changed the suppressor , I drove 5 km and then it happened again and then finally I got the idea that my problem may be coming from the fuel petcock because the fuel filter was not very full so I tinkered to avoid going through the fuel valve and then I hads an awesome time, it worked great.

I did 40 km super strong, the petcock was actually the cause of all my problems from the beginning and since I lost a lot of time, I got caught up by trucks and then in a somewhat technical up hill climb, there is a truck that has not used its sentinel , so that I was not warned that he was coming, so it surprised me and I was lying on the side and behind , 50 m behind the first truck, there was another truck and it did not avoid me and rolled on my bike , it really destroyed everything , navigation tower and instrumetns , I'm riding through the bend handlebar, 2 rear tanks crushed, made a hole in the ignition cover, I repaired it was leaking oil, shoe store water leaking saddle was torn , there is nothing that works. Eventually I managed to get the special anyway I just shit, here is good , I go to camp and work on the bike all night, I must see what I can do to leave tomorrow . Shitty day , Dakar bad start but I finished the stage and I will be classified. "

Kudos to him for finishing the stage, I hope he can recover from such a bad start but in Malle moto, it will probably be hard to get out of the snowball effect.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #41
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Few and far between, and dodgy at best?

#59 Rallyerider RallyeriderCummings 3m
#Dakar2014 Brett: "Bike is prepped and I have my new mousses with a new rear tyre.”
Pic from the #MalleMoto area. pic.twitter.com/ikMkjr1aGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
The Bivouac overnight

From our friend Manny's FB page

https://www.facebook.com/ManuelLucchesePage

Quote:

Oriol Escale

Quote:
From FB. - Oriol comments

Google translation:
''Oriol: It was not the start we had in mind! We have lived a hellish day. "Gilbert has had a problem with the chain and the link and was forced to stop twice to fix it. We thought we had done it but when we had 20 km in the stage the chain broke and created a hole in the engine case, which then lost all the oil. I've towed for 40 miles until we found a kind soul who lent us some oil. We have managed to repair the bike and resume the race but not for long: 20 km later, the chain again broke and this time there was nothing to repair ... So Gilbert told me to go on, he's apañaría as best they could achieve ... I hope I get out of this''

''Oriol: !No ha sido el comienzo que teníamos en mente! Hemos vivido una jornada infernal. “Gilbert ha tenido un problema con la cadena ya en el enlace y se ha visto obligado a detenerse en dos ocasiones para arreglarlo. Pensábamos que lo había conseguido pero cuando llevábamos 20 km de espacial se le ha roto irremediablemente la cadena y ha perforado el cárter de la moto, que perdía a continuación todo el aceite. Le he remolcado durante más de 40 km, hasta que hemos encontrado un alma caritativa que nos ha prestado un poco de aceite. Hemos conseguido reparar la moto y reanudar la carrera pero no por mucho tiempo: 20 km más tarde, la cadena volvía a romperse y esta vez ya no había nada que reparar… Así que Gilbert me ha dicho que continuara, que él se las apañaría como buenamente pudiera… Espero que logre salir de ésta''
Quote:
i didn't want to spam this thread with hundreds of photos, so i started a new thread just to be spammed with photos. bandwidth heavy, if that matters to you.

ALL the photos from Dakar.com Stage 1

...and everything so far from webventure.com.br

...over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose. subscribe & help me fill it with beautiful photos!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #42
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Good post Ned, could not have said it better myself however with reference to the above comment, let me share my story......

Special Stage emptying......After spending about an hour mid stage one day, battling through quad and moto dust, I finally made it past the hold up only to realise I was desperate for a number one! I tried to hold it off but it began to hurt to the point I was loosing concentration, that coupled with the fact I still had about 100km to go before fuel I decided I needed to go. Letting the other competitiors back past again and being stuck in their dust was not an option so.....and I did think about this long and hard.......I basically pissed myself!

Now, this wasn't easy, I discovered that I could not break the seal while I was 'on-it', it just would not go, so I had to ease eout of the gas on a straight and concentrate really hard to get her going. Once she was flowing I was able to get back on the gas and empty out at the same time. It was a major bonus!

Initially it was warm but then as it hit the air and began to evapourate I got some serious cooling benefits! The worst part was when the trickes reached my boots and I knew it would be there for some time :-(

Happy days.....happy memories

Dad was informed to power-wash the gear that night due to inforeseen circumstances

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Exactly. Come in late, you miss nutrition, hydration, maintenance, roadbook quality time, etc. You get less sleep, you get less to eat, and you leave when you'll be in more dust, on a more torn up track, and get caught by the cars sooner.

Toby Younger is my hero- he made that race as hard as it could be made and still grinned every time I saw him.

The easiest Dakars are for the guys like me that rode fast-ish but not actually fast. The guys at the front have the wear and tear of wanting it every foot and holding it wide all the time. The guys in back never get a break.

While I'm holding forth on my favorite subject in the world, a few notes on pace. IMO, the most dangerous riders in Dakar are the 10th-35th place guys, who all think they should be up front, and take chances to try to get there. The guys who actually are up front belong there, and the guys in ~40th-100th have most of the skills but probably a little more self-control. Some of the 100th and back guys are going to suffer amazingly and persevere regardless, and to me, that's a very beautiful thing too.

The top riders are on the same pace all over the world. Kurt was fast here, he was fast in Dakar. Same with Jonah, Quinn, Chris B, etc. The middle of the pack is more varied. There are guys with amazing skills (Chris Birch comes to mind) who struggle a little with the raw speed of the event, and guys with somewhat more mediocre skills who thrive on it- so you wind up with a crazy mixture of folks riding near each other, some of whom thrive when it gets nasty, some of whom thrive when it gets straight and pinned, but who nevertheless finish near each other on net time.

My eyes are on Mike Johnson. He's a super nice guy, legitimately fast, I think he had a bad day yesterday but I don't think they'll all be bad for him, he's got the pace to run quite a bit further forward.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #43
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
WP4
-(1)003 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)
HONDA
09:00:00(1)1h33m04s(1)1h33m04s(1)
-(2)002 - MARC COMA (ESP)
KTM
09:02:00(2)+00:01:25(2)+00:01:32(2)
-(6)005 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL)
KTM
09:10:00(6)+00:03:05(3)+00:03:05(3)
-(9)018 - SAM SUNDERLAND (GBR)
HONDA
09:16:00(9)+00:03:15(4)+00:03:23(4)
-(4)022 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA)
SHERCO
09:06:00(4)+00:04:03(5)+00:04:03(5)
-(3)001 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)
YAMAHA
09:04:00(3)+00:04:09(6)+00:04:09(6)
-(12)008 - RUBEN FARIA (PRT)
KTM
09:20:00(12)+00:04:20(7)+00:04:20(7)
-(11)032 - BEN GRABHAM (AUS)
KTM
09:19:00(11)+00:04:53(8)+00:04:53(8)
-(5)010 - PAULO GONCALVES (PRT)
HONDA
09:08:00(5)+00:05:23(9)+00:05:23(9)
-(10)021 - ALESSANDRO BOTTURI (ITA)
SPEEDBRAIN
09:18:00(10)+00:05:31(10)+00:05:31(10)
-(7)023 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP)
SHERCO
09:12:00(7)+00:09:07(12)+00:09:07(11)
-(8)017 - MICHAEL METGE (FRA)
YAMAHA
09:14:00(8)+00:09:19(13)+00:09:19(12)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #44
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #45
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
12P2 NUMBERS & ADVERTISING PLATES’ COLOURS
So as to be able to differentiate more easily between different categories, Machine race plates will be of different colours:
Group 1 (Elite A.S.O.) : yellow plates;
Class 2.1 (Super Production 0 to 450 cc) : white plates + SP;
Class 2.2 (Marathon 0 to 450 cc) : white plates + M;
Group 3 (Quad) : white plates.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread