Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #106
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
Stage 4: Whats on the menu?

Images courtesy of Uller

Its a stage over 657km long for the cars (not shown); this will be their own little marathon test.

For the bikes, I looked at Scott's amazing work, and it looks like there will be some nice long straight sections with an HP (off piste) section accross a wide plain covered with fesh-fesh and lots of rocks. hard on the wrists and very hard if you have no tyres.

59Km liaison 352km long followed by a 151km liaison

My guess is they will cut it short at the end. Either way the tyres must last another 562km

Im going to catch some zzz's see you all in a few hrs
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #107
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,394
Checking in f5or Day 4

I get up at 5.00 am to do some back combing and "Cliff Notes" (as Flood and Blue bull been doing such at tag team effort so far... ) only to find Duracellbull still awake at picking all the pieces of knowledge from the the f5irehose.

Awesomw marathon eff5ort so far Neil.

Now as far as the nightshif5t goes;

Dean Lewis dropped in from the University of Dakar Hard Knox with some very astute scholastical insight on the BamBam versus Aliens subject. All very accurate and informative insight that any North American rally students interested in taking the Rally 101 curriculum would do well to heed. My suggestion would be to contact Jimmy and enroll in one of his HogWild inspired desert navigation degree courses post haste!

The whole "which way did they go" debate falls into ywo simple rules.

Rule 1. the roadbook is the prescribed route.
Rule 2. any amendments to the roadbook are issued and signed for at the bivouac. (on rare occassions this has occured at a CP or regroup - mid stage - but principle is the same) only these informations (issued and signed for) have the same effect as the road book.

People wearing "rally t-shirts", waving flags or with beer cans in hand are not "officials"... they are spectators... and well intentioned or not - their "pointing the way" has no weight at far as the jury is concerned. The roadbook prescribes the route.

Now, as to the identity of the "official" and how did he (who Vasselly describes as being the reason they followed the "wrong" tracks into the valley of doom) get there? At 4000 something meters...? Chopper?

As Bluebull said, I would only accept possibly the hand directions Etienne Kavigne or David Castera (director and clerk of course) if I came across them mid stage... and the "directions" were at odds with the book... But I'd also stop and ask... "okay, but where does that put me BACK onto the course as plotted" not just tear off in the new direction.

I agree that altitude and tiredness have played their part in this episode and terribly dissappointed for the 20 or so amatuers that fell foul of this incident... but the early riders who f5#¤%ed up, lifted, carried and bludgeoned their way through in spite of their misstake... blood sweat and a lot of tears - it's DAKAR - and it often ends up in tears for more than 50% of the starters for one reason or another... this was just one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #108
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,394
Checking in f5or Day 4

I get up at 5.00 am to do some back combing and "Cliff Notes" (as Flood and Blue bull been doing such at tag team effort so far... ) only to find Duracellbull still awake at picking all the pieces of knowledge from the the f5irehose.

Awesomw marathon eff5ort so far Neil.

Now as far as the nightshif5t goes;

Dean Lewis dropped in from the University of Dakar Hard Knox with some very astute scholastical insight on the BamBam versus Aliens subject. All very accurate and informative insight that any North American rally students interested in taking the Rally 101 curriculum would do well to heed. My suggestion would be to contact Jimmy and enroll in one of his HogWild inspired desert navigation degree courses post haste!

The whole "which way did they go" debate falls into ywo simple rules.

Rule 1. the roadbook is the prescribed route.
Rule 2. any amendments to the roadbook are issued and signed for at the bivouac. (on rare occassions this has occured at a CP or regroup - mid stage - but principle is the same) only these informations (issued and signed for) have the same effect as the road book.

People wearing "rally t-shirts", waving flags or with beer cans in hand are not "officials"... they are spectators... and well intentioned or not - their "pointing the way" has no weight at far as the jury is concerned. The roadbook prescribes the route.

Now, as to the identity of the "official" and how did he (who Vasselly describes as being the reason they followed the "wrong" tracks into the valley of doom) get there? At 4000 something meters...? Chopper?

As Bluebull said, I would only accept possibly the hand directions Etienne Kavigne or David Castera (director and clerk of course) if I came across them mid stage... and the "directions" were at odds with the book... But I'd also stop and ask... "okay, but where does that put me BACK onto the course as plotted" not just tear off in the new direction.

I agree that altitude and tiredness have played their part in this episode and terribly dissappointed for the 20 or so amatuers that fell foul of this incident... but the early riders who f5#¤%ed up, lifted, carried and bludgeoned their way through in spite of their misstake... blood sweat and a lot of tears - it's DAKAR - and it often ends up in tears for more than 50% of the starters for one reason or another... this was just one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #109
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,951
webventure.com.br stage 2

webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, finally posting photos from stage 2.

bikes

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

#9 - DAVID CASTEU (FRA) [KTM]

#18 - SAM SUNDERLAND (GBR) [HONDA]

#14 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG) [HONDA]

#30 - RIAAN VAN NIEKERK (ZAF) [KTM]

#53 - PEDRO BIANCHI PRATA (PRT) [HUSQVARNA]

lots of photos (100+) posted on webventure.com.br today, looking like from stage 2; reposted everything over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose thread if you're interested!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #110
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,951
webventure.com.br stage 2

webventure.com.br has a bunch of new photos posted, finally posting photos from stage 2.

bikes

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

#9 - DAVID CASTEU (FRA) [KTM]

#18 - SAM SUNDERLAND (GBR) [HONDA]

#14 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG) [HONDA]

#30 - RIAAN VAN NIEKERK (ZAF) [KTM]

#53 - PEDRO BIANCHI PRATA (PRT) [HUSQVARNA]

lots of photos (100+) posted on webventure.com.br today, looking like from stage 2; reposted everything over in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose thread if you're interested!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #111
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
It's official, Kevin didn't make it to the special yesterday:

@KevinMuggleton
It's over for me. Found an old used tire which blew out completely before the special. Arrive too many hours after the stage closed. Gutted

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #112
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
SMS from Mike Johnson, #92:

Having constant electrical probs. 2 stators yesterday. Today will be a day of nursing the bike back to bivouac from marathon stage. I am lucky to be here at this point. Still an experience of a life time.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #113
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
I couldn't find a listing of the distances for each waypoint anywhere, so I calculated them using the image on the live tracking (the scale seems reasonably accurate, as the WPs that correspond to the distance at the bottom more or less match up when calculated as well.

position distance
WP1 37
WP2 79
WP3 133
WP4 190
WP5 230
WP6 255
WP7 295
WP8 337

hopefully my copy/paste from excel works.

If there's an official source for these numbers, then please let me know, my excel / mspaint combo takes a little while.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #114
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Another SMS from Mike:

I sat there for 4 hrs with 2 bad stators in my hands thinking it was all over. The last bike on the course happened to be a honda with a spare. I WAS BACK IN.

And another, I asked about the course:

It was very tough. The organizers said was the toughest yet in south america. I had no problem with the course...just the bike.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #115
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
My phone is texty this am! From Manny:

Yesterday and the day before the moto stages were almost the same of 2012 we did. This year average amateur level is lower for sure less than 100 will get to the end! I will write to u tonight

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #116
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Physically Barreda is still out front finding the way,. Cyril must be literally on his rear guard, with Coma still @ the 1 min 56 sec minute gap back, third on track but leading on corrected time.

Duclos and Casteu still 4th and 5th position physically on the trail...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #117
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

S2 video
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino View Post
Good (european) morning!
Estonian guys Toomas Triisa and Mart Meeru posted their first video from race, filmed after the second stage.
Main points from Toomas's interview
- second day seemed easier that first as they got to grips with the bike and navigation
- fuel pump broke but repair kit was with them and it worked
- more experienced riders / team members are warning them about being too fast in the beginning of the event. Toomas promises to slow down (which he obviously didn't as third stage was his best yet)
Toomas's dad says that the support team has to get up early and travel at least 400-500 km a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ54 View Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #118
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Message from bivouac - helicopters are comming with more and more riders, who spent the night in the "canyon". They are pretty much in bad shape. Devastated mentally. In the last night´s bivouac is quite chaos, organisators does not control the situation. Bivouac is packed with bikes, what will not continue from yesterday´s "canyongate".
Riders talk about the "organiser" on the top of the hill, global meaning is, that he was true member of organisation, not fake and simply did not know, where shoud the riders go and sent them to wrong direction with dead end. Some crashed the bikes just in the steep part on the beginning and were able to push the bike back with help of others later on, but most finished the downhill ride and there was real dead end and no chance to push the bikes back up. Looks like all last 20 riders were sent there and none went where the right track should go - in the finish of the special. Those who were evacuated from the valley today, are simply exhausted and very low and does not want to even talk.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #119
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
If it's of interest to anyone, i've put the spreadsheet i've been using to calculate the rider speeds over each section into google drive.:

Calculations

I'll try and keep it updated, but technically i should be working.

hopefully I'll get a chance to keep it updated for the other stages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Erik Kofman ‏@KofmanDakar 14m
“@dakar: The bikes' bivouac before today's departure. #dakar2014 #insidedakar pic.twitter.com/bPChjHb2JM”
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #120
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
I just got friend there and got some text messages as Jan Vesely does not communicate so much..

That person misleading riders was real organiser, french person, riders know him exactly. He was dressed up in org stuff and behind the hill he parked ORG Toyota with all the stickers etc. It was not a "joker" from locals or so.
Riders in the bivouac will fill protests, Jan Vesely reported it last night to only person from ORG who was available in the bivouac, but nothing happened. Nobody from jury appeared so far. Just support crew and campsite people. That guy with Toyota was not in the bivy last night - at least not when Jan was there. Had to leave before.

By the way, that ORG Toyota was parked on last place, where was possible to return on the correct path. Once you descent there in the valley, was no chance to go back.
It looks like 20+ bikes were trapped there plus those, who opened that track before he arrived on the hill. Is quite possible, that the person was sent there after Faria´s crash to avoid riders going wrong direction what would lead in massive helikopter rescque action later on and instead of preventing it, he caused it as from the top of the hill was not possible to see that the track is wrong and is no way back. Anyway, people trapped in the valley don´t know if somebody else passed that person right way or not, but as more and more was comming, they think he sent there everybody. In the valley was no signal for mobile phones, no chance to let anybody know what happened etc.

Number of protests has been filled today, maybe riders will got back part of the start fee, but sure they are out for this year. ORG is not happy about it also, chopper resque action is quite massive and they needed the helikopter somewhere else... but no comments so far. No reply, no apologize.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread