Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #121
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Hi everyone. David here, I just want to say a special thanks to all of you out there, my extremely supportive family, friends and sponsors for you outstanding support. Unfortunately, my 2014 Dakar has come to an end. I dislocated my knee in a crash today which tore my ACL ligaments which means I am unable to continue riding. This is devastating as this is now my second go at completing the Dakar. They don't call it the world's toughest race for no reason. Again, thanks so much for all the support you have shown on this page, It means a lot to the team and I. Cheers David.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #122
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Sam's engine went on the liaison, out of race apparently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

Lot of new pics here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post
Quote:
Did someone say Laia?

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 08:28 AM
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #123
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #124
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
http://www.losandes.com.ar/notas/201...nar-760418.asp

Bad translation of Patronelli's quad rolling off the cliff:

Quote:
A two-time winner of the rally was traveling at 4,200 feet above the level sea ​​when his Yamaha lost power in a curve and, unable to master decided thrown to one side. Its quad kept going and fell about 600 meters down, the pilot suffered no consequences. "Failed quad injection, there is something wrong there. While climbing I began to lose power to reach the top, when I start to go backwards, "recalled bitter. Marcos told it would only 10% power and each climb was more difficult to bring the ATV. He acknowledged that he wanted to stick around and that when the ATV rolled back, "and grabbed a rock and started to go." champion could not do anything and got the quad running. She saw him fall, shatter 600 meters below. "He flew in all directions. It hurt so much to see him like that, "he confessed in a broken voice, and revealed that alone gave very scary to think how long I could stay there, in the middle of nowhere.
Canyongate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
We are not sure exactly but we have an idea. Here is the famous climb, the one where Patronelli lost control and rolled his bike back down.

Not shown here (above) is that the route basically followed the ridge for a long distance, as it gradually descends. So I took another shot a little bit further on around the corner: Hopefully it self explanatory, but this is my guess what happened and where everyone ended up.

Canyongate could have been down any one of those canyons really. But I reckon its either the one shown or the following one.
Just for the record - we have no proof Manny was involved at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
To me I think this illustrates that the Pointy Man(ny) was not wholly (if at all) to blame for the fiasco?

It seems to me that a number of riders took different paths after CP2 - some following the route the leaders took (and were eventually able to escape) others a slightly different path and got stuck indefinitely, and others again that took the correct [roadbook] route to the end of the stage?

Then there were those who were late to CP2 and held there, and wouldn't have started this controversial part of the stage until early this morning - goodness knows what is going to happen to them of course!

Jx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
One thing about Manny's Canyongate that I want to mention again:

The Elite riders were unable to ride back up the mountain. Gonk smashed his bike doing it and Sam killed his engine probably doing the same. Then Faria crashed trying to get down. Did you see the helicopter could not even land there - it was too steep.

That's when they all teamed up and helped one anothers bikes down over the rocky steps.

So my question is: Why did the 25 other not try this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Venezuelan Cardonas Vagnoni is doing a fine job this year- came through yesterday cleanly and moving up consistently daily. Up to 23rd overall after yesterday and apparently hanging in there well today. I wish him well for the rest of it. Bueno suerto amigo.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
More riders getting lost again today.....

Dakar.com

3:57 Bikes: Metge and Van Niekerk lose their bearings

Michael Metge and Riaan van Niekerk have made the same mistake as David Casteu, straying to the east of the course after passing a dry riverbed 250 km into the special.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #125
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Sam's engine failure before today's start is now confirmed by young Ms too old.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #126
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Got some more info about the "canyongate"
From J.V.

Valley (canyon) was really stuffed with people and vehicles. Jan was racing in the middle of the start list and does not know so much people from the last third. He knows for sure two italian brothers who were there with him - Alberto and Marco Brioshi (162, 163). With them was there that little quad lady rider (probably Camelia Liparoti), but helikopter helped her as first from the valley and saved her quad and they allowed her to continue! If I understand well the SMS, they selectivelly helped one rider and left others there.
J.V. sent another message - chopper who helped there last night was very small, had no rope for resque vehicles. J.V. expected that the chopper will carry the bikes about 200m higher, where was possible to continue in the race. But they helped only the one lady and rest not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
For sure not in time, when they transported J.V. from the valley in the bivouac. It was first thing what he tried to do - find somebody from ORG. No luck. It was about 22:30 local time, when he spotted first person from ORG. He had a little notebook, where he entered notes about the protest from J.V. and that was all.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #127
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

This hill up to come out,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
This one is worth posting in this thread. Boring until a truck works it's way around the car at 1:00.

At 3:00 another truck stops to pull the car out of the way.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #128
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Here's a grown man being dwarfed by a 'Mini'.
That's not a 'girls car'.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #129
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
@ASS, SS4, so far

ASS
1(43)023 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP)
SHERCO 450 SR
09:51:30(43)+00:00:07(2)+00:00:09(2)+00:00:32(2)5h29m13s(1)
2(6)005 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL)
KTM 450 RALLY FACTORY REPLICA
09:20:00(6)2h30m12s(1)3h13m16s(1)3h33m54s(1)+00:00:29(2)
3(3)002 - MARC COMA (ESP)
KTM 450 RALLY FACTORY REPLICA
09:14:00(3)+00:03:36(6)+00:02:22(5)+00:02:03(5)+00:03:10(3)
4(12)038 - JEREMIAS ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL)
SPEEDBRAIN 450 RALLY
09:30:00(12)+00:01:48(3)+00:01:18(4)+00:01:42(4)+00:06:30(4)
5(10)006 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA)
YAMAHA 450 YZF RALLY
09:28:00(10)+00:03:38(7)+00:03:03(6)+00:03:31(6)+00:07:01(5)
6(1)003 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)
HONDA CRF 450 RALLY
09:10:00(1)+00:07:43(14)+00:06:36(10)+00:06:10(8)+00:13:56(6)
7(4)022 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA)
SHERCO 450 SR
09:16:00(4)+00:02:06(4)+00:00:53(3)+00:00:53(3)+00:23:13(7)
8(8)019 - STEFAN SVITKO (SVK)
KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA
09:24:00(8)+00:13:32(19)+00:15:48(19)+00:15:59(17)+00:30:32(8)
9(5)009 - DAVID CASTEU (FRA)
KTM 450 RALLY
09:18:00(5)+00:06:12(10)+00:07:30(11)+00:08:21(11)+00:33:57(9)
10(2)001 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)
YAMAHA 450 YZF
09:12:00(2)+00:06:18(11)+00:05:05(7)+00:04:27(7)+00:42:09(10)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #130
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
ON Cyril

Le pilote français fut victime d'un problème électrique après 341 kilomètres de course

The French driver was the victim of an electrical problem after 341 km of racing

http://www.sudouest.fr/2014/01/08/da...-1423272-8.php

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #131
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
CdP must have been limping it in at the end.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #132
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
It's dinner time in ARG. TIme to get ready for tomorrow:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #133
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post

SF Gate has some insane images found here: http://www.sfgate.com/cars/slideshow...ally-77256.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Gilbert and Patrao also in. Suzukis cleared the stage ... phew....
Patrao, on stage 3:

Quote:
"It was a really difficult stage. The bike ran out of battery and I had to control the road book manually, which was not at all easy. I ended up following a path on the side of a mountain and I couldn't go up. Getting out of the valley was not easy, I end up alone in the middle of nowhere and without navigational instruments "
So, I guess manual roadbook today....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Now on with the "Italian bulletin"
The Brioschi brothers were with Jan Vesely during the infamous Canyongate event. Got back to the bivouac with helicopter and their Dakar ended there.
Giulio Napoli has retired during yesterday's special stage due to hyperthermia.
I have read on an Italian forum that Luca Viglio has lost the right track during yesterday's special stage but managed to get at the end courtesy of a quad rider that gave him enough fuel and water to finish. At the moment no news on him, other than the standings that are still showing him at DSS.
About Catanese, beside same position as Viglio showed in the standings, I have only found a comment on Franco Picco's twitter page (@piccoadventures) that says: "We are waiting for Catanese at the bivouac. Forza Francesco!" But it was 6 hours ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_FX View Post
From Paulo Gonçalves FB:
Friends,
I finished one more stage, this by the way difficult, it was a Marathon stage and I didn't have any kind of mechanical assistance yesterday. I had to leave far behind, without roadbook and the bike with some damage. I'm glad to reach teh end of teh stage in the front places, even after having to overcome many opponents. We have a lot of Dakar ahead and there are still many chances to retrieve the leaderboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Viglio didn't register any time stamps today.
It seems both Betas are out.

Do you know anything else about Napoli's experience? Was he one of the riders who got stuck in that canyon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Happy to say that I got confirmation that Ruben Faria is OK, though he was forced to withdraw from this year's event. He hit his head hard in yesterday's stage and has no recollection of crashing, but thankfully, aside from that he seems OK. He's back in Portugal.

Not a great translation, but in his words:

" I do not remember what happened because I took a hard knock to the head. Fortunately nothing serious happened , but feeling the hurt of abandonment. I am sorry to have abandoned the team , but the races are the same. Not sure how or where I fell , but I want to thank Paulo Goncalves had concerns me. The spirit of Dakar 's it and showed it to Paul ."

Quote:
Stage Report for the Autos:

The Matador gains the upper hand!
Nani Roma set off from San Juan at 7:20 am local time, opening the road as the leader of the car category. Two timed sections (217 and 284 km, respectively) and a 157 km timed section later, the man at the wheel of the no. 304 Mini reached Chilecito as Carlos Sainz's second-in-command in the general classification. The car race was turned on its head again as Carlos Sainz and his SMG buggy blasted the hierarchy established in yesterday's puncture-marred stage into smithereens. The Spaniard went flat out from beginning to end to take his 26th Dakar win. No-one was able to match Sainz's pace, with second place going to an astonishing Stéphane Peterhansel, who never gave up despite multiple punctures, and third place going to another daredevil, Nasser Al-Attiyah, 13′19″ back.
The big loser of today's stage was none other than Nani Roma, who lost the overall lead after finishing fourth, 14′08″ behind his rival from Madrid. Although he is still very much in the race (second, 2′06″ behind Sainz), today's special laid bare Roma's limitations. The narrow gaps at the top, with Al-Attiyah at 6′56″ and the fiery Terranova at 13′08″, set the stage for a clash of titans, with Peterhansel (fifth at 18′10″) ready to bounce back into the fray.

------------------------------
Quotes (all of them are from the cars, bikes not into the Bivy yet??)
----------------------------
303 - CARLOS SAINZ

Everyone made the same mistake

At the beginning we had to drive in the dust, but little by little we managed to overtake several cars. We also got a bit lucky when, about 10 km before the finish, our power steering broke down in a narrow spot amid all the vegetation, but we easily made it to the finish all the same. In the second part there was a waypoint where we went right, but after a while we realised it had to be on the other side, so we headed left and we found it. No big deal, I think everyone made the same mistake.

300 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL

We went the right way from the beginning

Things didn't start very well this morning. We had a flat tyre after 30 km! Not the best way to start the day. So we decided to set a consistent pace to try and avoid making mistakes. Towards the end, there was a waypoint that was quite hard to find, but we went the right way from the beginning by U-turning to look in the right direction, which helped us not to lose too much time. And, in the end, we did quite well.

301 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH

Happy with our performance

I'm quite happy because the only real mistake we made was following the other Minis in front, which must have cost us about 5 minutes before we decided to turn around and take the right direction. We also had a flat tyre. However, I think it was a rather good day overall and I'm happy with our performance.

302 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS

Today was a matter of surviving

It was a good day, but we had too many mechanicals! Once again, we had trouble with the power steering! The first part of the special went quite smoothly, but after 100 km in the second part we started to have problems with the steering power and we had to stop. In all honesty, I was quite amazed at our advantage over Sainz and Peterhansel, but it quickly melted away as we spent almost 15 minutes doing repairs. When we got going, we still had an oil leak in the pump of the power steering. We had to stop another four or five times to refill it with all the oil we had, but it wasn't enough. In the end, we were lucky a spectator gave us some oil to get going again, or we'd still be there. So, all in all, today was a matter of surviving...

330 - FEDERICO VILLAGRA

No mistakes

We had a good special without any particular problems apart from a few little navigation mistakes, but nothing really important. We set a decent pace and we even had some trouble with traffic and with Gordon's dust, but we managed to overtake him. So yes, a really good day, no mistakes, I'm happy!

Barreda looked like he panicked today and he crashed again, this time hurting his wrist.
Quote:
dakar com

BB:
"Everything seemed to be going smoothly but, towards the end of the stage, I think I misunderstood an entry in the roadbook. I took a wrong turn with 70-80 km to go. I'll have to double-check it later, because yesterday I read the roadbook several times and it said we had to go in this direction. We'll see, I lost lots of time because I had to backtrack and then I took a wrong turn. But it's because that's what the roadbook said. I read it properly. It's a lot of time, 20 to 25 minutes. I don't know what to say. Then, I got into a rocky area. It was tough. I was nervous. But I have to look on the bright side. I saved the day. I have to keep going and improving. Tomorrow will be another day, and both I and the motorcycle will be in good shape. Everything will go well."
Quote:
dakar com

Coma:
It was an excruciating stage. Yesterday was already tough, and today it was more of the same. The rain over the last few days meant you couldn't see the tracks at all. Actually, that wasn't what made today's stage difficult, rather, it was the ease with which people made mistakes. We found the right way and I was able to push hard towards the end. It's a very long rally. We knew the first week would be gruelling. You have to be consistent and take it one stage at a time. Cyril? You can never discount him. He's won this race five times. He knows what it's about. Anything can happen in this race.

Chaleco:

The tyres held up well. Everything went well in the marathon stage. But it was very tough. Yesterday was a technical, tricky stage. Today it was one river after the other. I need dunes, I need deserts…
Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #134
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
Australia’s Ben Grabham crashed and is also out.

Quote:
001 - CYRIL DESPRES

Cyril Despres: "The motorcycle doesn't miss a beat, and I'm in tip-top shape"

"Yesterday went great, it was one of the most beautiful specials I've ever done. Our strategy called for taking Michael Metge's wheel this morning because it was in better condition. Everything went well until km 170, but then we started to make small navigation mistakes, but we managed to stay on top of things with Marc. We were both there with 150 km to go, but 9 km before the end, my Iritrack support broke down and damaged the wires. The motorcycle ground to a halt and I worked hard until I found the problem: a short-circuit. Do I look disheartened? Well, I'm not. We've just finished stage 4 out of 13. The day I give up is the day I should pack up and go home. True, it's a big setback, but I love this race, and I know it's not over until it's over. I could have given up today, but I'm still here. The motorcycle doesn't miss a beat, and I'm in tip-top shape."

304 - NANI ROMA

We spent the entire day in front

"I'm very, very happy. Today's stage was difficult to navigate. We spent the entire day in front. The others must have gained lots of time on us because of this, but that's the way it is, I'm happy to be here and tomorrow will be another day."

501 - GERARD DE ROOY
The best special in two or three years!

It was terrific! A terrific special, I think it's the best one we've had in two or three years. We saw from the beginning that Karginov was too fast and we couldn't keep up with him, so we decided to drive at our own pace, without taking any risks, especially with the tyres. Nevertheless, we were in the link section when we noticed a tyre was slowly deflating and we had to stop to change it. In the second part we overtook Karginov, who had stopped on the left side of the course with a flat tyre. We made a small navigation mistake towards the end, when everyone went right but you actually had to go left, but it was no big deal. The only mishap was when I bumped my left wrist against the steering wheel, but it's nothing to be worried about: some ice, a cool bier and everything will be okay in time for tomorrow!

506 - ANDREY KARGINOV

A very tough special!

We went out all guns blazing this morning, but the special was very tough, with lots of dust and big rocks which made the course very tricky. We spent most of the day in front, but we had a puncture in the second part of the special and we lost some time changing the tyre, so De Rooy overtook us and it was already too late to catch up with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
updated the datasheet. Added elevation and corrected the WP grid in the upper left corner.

Quote:
Update from Kevin Muggleton 1 hr ago

--------------

Not sure the plan, on an air force plane taking us north #Dakar2014 Sam Sunderland with, reckons his big end went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
From Paulo Goncalves' fb page

PRESS RELEASE from back to front, Paulo Gonçalves reached the seventh fastest time of the day Paulo Goncalves made a brilliant step today on the fourth day of Rally Dakar. After a night without mechanical assistance, this being a step-Marathon, the pilot of Esposende had to travel more than 500 miles without instruments of road-book and with his bike damaged partially face the setbacks of the previous day, which ceded a few minutes to help compatriot Ruben Faria, already out of evidence.

To Chilecito, Dakar organization 2014 proposed more 353 kilometers of "special" timed to close another difficult crossing of Argentina. Paulo Gonçalves went on the road in the 65th but, after many overtaking the latest riders, through the immense dust, eventually reach the final with the seventh fastest time of taken, behind the leader of the general classification, his teammate at Honda official, the Spaniard Joan Barreda Bort.

"I finished one more step, this by the way difficult, we at step-Marathon and didn't have any kind of mechanical assistance yesterday. I had to leave far behind due to chance yesterday, without and with the roadbook mota something destroyed. I'm glad to have come to an end in struggle for front seats, even after having to overcome many opponents. We have a lot of Dakar ahead and there are still many chances to retrieve in the classification, "said the HRC Honda Pilot.

Paulo Gonçalves is already in the "Top 20" of the general classification, although it is little more than two hours behind the leader. However, it is still awaited the replacement of the time that the Portuguese pilot was standing watching Ruben Faria yesterday.
Quote:
Found some news on the other German rider #179 Jörg Majoli:

He had a crash about 80 km before the end of the stage. The electrics on his bike were toast after that. He tried to get his bike going again but nothing worked.
He spent the night in the dunes and was picked up by the sweeper truck.'

It looks like he and Ingo Zahn will be back though.

Breaking - Some riders were neutralised before they could get past CP3 on Stage 3, but then were not allowed to Start Stage 4.:
Quote:
Stage 4:

link: rallymaniacs and voice

Castera neutrialized for last competiors stage 4

Translate: Bing

http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/dakarrall...or-van-heertum

There is still a glimmer of hope that Sjors van Heertum still further in the Dakar may 2014. Van Heertum told his bizarre adventure of the third stage in chilecito. Raceleader David Castera sent Van Heertum along with five other motorcyclists 70 kilometres from the finish of stage 3 back down the mountain. The trial had neutralized and Castera forbid the men to the start of stage 4.

The fate of the bass so it is in the hands of Dakar driver Castera. Chances that Van Heertum just out of the rally is further, but since he could but not if, there is still a theoretical possibility that the race officials let him with a hefty dose of penalty time will start in the fifth stage.

VanHeertum was about 70 kilometers from the finish with a busted engine block in the mountains. "Jan van Gerven is been with me and together we have tried to fix it," says Venkat. "That did not work, unless we could hang a different block in there. A motorcyclist with a thick wrist, which had too much pain to drive, offered me his block for a reasonable price. We are going with it gone, but then came a car of the organization. Who told that the rest of the trial had neutralized and that we not go to top were allowed, because all were too busy with helicopters evacuating stranded and injured motorcyclists and because it got dark. We stood there with six men who were fit enough to continue, but we were sent down. "

There it held contest leader Castera the men against. "We had to sleep, said Castera. So we have a campfire where we are around it lie down. "sixes When the light was, wanted the men to the start of the fourth stage, but that was not allowed. Venkat: "We were sent to the bivouac in San Juan. I am there on the engine of that guy with that thick wrist back. Everyone was already gone, the bivouac was already broken off. The competition leader of the trucks, Fabien Calvet, has sent us then to chilecito. We had no road book, nothing. The police have helped us and we are driven with sixes here. We want all six further and are already at the race officials, but it is waiting for Castera. That should make the decision, because it was he who forbade us to drive on. I hope we can move forward. My own engine is expected here late tonight, with the SAG wagon. If we can exchange the block, I'm going again tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post
Never give up
Quote:
Hans Vogels another dutch rider ( who broke his collarbone in 2013 three times, weeks before the start the last time) was in the valley with about 15 others riders and he came out of the valley with a extreme endurostyle, he got on the top, with slipping clutches reached the top, tired and the hight, headache, he tought more than once push the red button or out of gas but on the top and over the ridges found his way to the bivouac.

Quote:
The Brasilian Dário Julio #37 finished today´s stage in 17th ...the other Brasilian rider Jean Azevedo # 29 appears in withdrawal list......

Quote:
Laia's FB

Very very hard today!! Now I'm at the bivouac, It's time to massages, paint the roadbook and rest. Tomorrow won't be easy... I'm dead but happy with the result. Thank you for your message!!

Quote:
Amidst the bad luck what continues to restore my faith are the acts of kindness and true sportsmanship. This morning Kevin had to cut our call short, another rider who'd been out all night in the canyon came to the riders bivouac in the morning hours, shattered, not wanting to carry on. Kevin got him fed, loaded his road book and sent him off with words of encouragement to the day's course he himself was so wanting to participate in. Proud of you Kev. (Post by Christine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
"The motorcycle did not miss a beat"

I consider that to be an important part of the bike that cost valuable minutes. A lesson learnt for Yamaha there for sure. I bet there securing them all better tonight.

Credit to Cyril, being a mechanic / engineer myself, I know how he will have worked to find the fault, fix it and prevent further occurance....GREAT JOB CYRIL! Classic proof that it takes more than just a rider to be a successful Dakar racer.

He is well and truly still in the game in my mind.
Quote:
How the riders handle the marathon stage

One last year and two on this edition: the marathon stage is making a grand comeback. It involves the bike and quad riders handling a bivouac alone, without assistance and with the repairs that are often necessary. Whether amateur or professional, the strategies are often similar, even if he stakes are much different.

A marathon stage means setting off very early and returning to the Dakar base camp the next day at the end of the afternoon, involving a sequence of two timed stages but more significantly an evening without anyone to have a look at your machine or get their hands dirty. It is a situation in which the first trades learned by the competitors are often very useful. Last year, Cyril Despres, who trained as a mechanic, stripped down the engine of Marek Dabrowski and re-fitted it to his own bike in order to make a big mark on the race on his victorious march to Santiago. Such know-how can often be very beneficial.

Jorge Velayos, who has over a certain number of years prepared many amateurs' bikes, has strong views on the subject of how to handle a marathon evening: “In mechanical terms, the less the riders know, the better it is. I've seen some riders install air filters the wrong way round!” He is flanked by two of his ‘protégés': David Batalla and Marc Pedrola. Neither of them gets too worked up about the perspective of this type of stage. “We've enough on our plate just finishing every day,” they explain. However, Marc, who is taking part in the Dakar for the first time, believes that he prepared well for it during the last Merzouga Rally. “I like it. It's the spirit of racing and rally-raids. But on the two marathon stages on this Dakar, I'll be even more careful than I usually am each day. It's a challenge within the challenge, so of course I'm a bit apprehensive about it”.

Another unfazed amateur is Carlos Gracida, a Mexican rookie. “The bike will be checked up properly by the assistance. After that, I'll have to make sure I look after the machine so that I only have simple things to do: changing the oil, adjusting the chain, changing the air filter. I think I'll be focusing on concentration and how to control my pace”.

In a certain way, the competitors are therefore trying to minimise the importance of the make or break situation that the bivouac without assistance can represent. Even the elite riders find themselves in the same boat. Francisco “Chaleco” Lopez almost sees the marathon stage as a non-event: “You need to approach it calmly, think about getting there serenely to be able to sleep without having to do anything or not much at all. Then you have to be ready the next day for the stage back to the normal bivouac...”

----------

Marathon by name, marathon by nature

Brought back into the fold of the race, the marathon stages set out for the bikes and quads are often a case of make or break for the amateurs. For official teams who are in it to win it, the situation can be just as decisive, but the Marathon tyre made by Michelin is there to facilitate the challenge of two stages ridden without assistance.

Since the field in the bike category switched to 450 cc, everybody has taken up the cause of the famous tyres produced by Michelin, the Desert Race tyres. The Michelin Man's former star product, the Marathon tyre, therefore lost its sheen. Adapted to the 690 cc bikes, it did not have a clear future on the race. However, due to a turnaround in the race's history and trends, it has now regained its letters of nobility and is enjoying a second youth since David Castera and Étienne Lavigne reintroduced the stages without assistance. “We've started producing Marathon tyres again, but only for the Dakar,” explains Benoît Jallat, Michelin's technical consultant to the teams for off-road tyres. “And exclusively for the elite riders”.

In a race situation that is more and more physical and demanding, the top teams and their riders need total reliability. “The Dakar is calling upon us more and more. For the elite riders, who put their machines through tough tests and for whom the stakes are becoming higher and higher, the aspects of security and reliability are primordial: they want to be able to race without thinking about saving or taking care with the tyres in order to reach the finish the following day”.

Last year on the marathon stage, which finished in Tucuman, Michelin therefore provided a selective VIP service: supplying 1 Marathon tyre for the rear wheel per rider and per stage. On the Dakar 2014, four official teams (Yamaha, Honda, Sherco and KTM) enjoy this free service which remains an option depending on the strategic choices of each team and the riders concerned.

As for the amateurs, even those with significant resources, it is not possible to get hold of this tyre suited to the demands of racing over two days: “Objectively speaking, on this type of stage, an amateur rider doesn't need this tyre. The Desert Race tyre is perfect for them,” points out Benoit Jallat, who declines to talk about the price of the Marathon tyre. For the Desert Race rubbers however, the price is well known: around 200 USD or 125 GBP.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #135
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
to the riders # 75 and # 263 and people around who helped the rider # 176

#75 http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/075.html

Quote:
Mardaeev crash. De Rooy, and Dakar spirit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Good news! From Franco Picco's twitter page.
Since he had no news of his rider he went to the organization and they assured him that Catanese (#177) is still racing!
Forza Francesco!
Quote:
Olivier Pain - Yamaha Factory Racing
“A marathon stage is always a stress, always a challenge. You have to manage everything on your own, take care of the bike, take care of yourself and there’s plenty that can go wrong. Last night for example I had to make a bracket for the exhaust out a piece of metal I found on the ground. And while you’re doing that you’re worrying about the fact that you should be sleeping to find the strength for the next day. All of that to say I’m delighted to be here this evening with both myself and my bike in one piece. With everything that has happened over the last two days the fact that I am now up in fifth place overall is almost a detail – but a good detail nevertheless!”

Cyril Despres - Yamaha Factory Racing
“Everything was going perfectly and the strategy I’d devised with Mika was paying off handsomely. 170 kilometres from the end I was riding with Marc (Coma) and Joan (Barreda) and shortly after that Marc and I managed to break away and I became the virtual overall leader. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed but I’ve been here before and still reached the top of the final podium. It would have been so easy to have abandoned out in the special and catch the next plane home, but I love this race, I love riding my bike and most of all I love a challenge. And as long as I believe I have a fighting chance I’ll do exactly that – keep fighting.”

Michael Metge - Yamaha Factory Racing
“Just like Cyril’s, my day was going really well. The bike felt good and I was in form and was thinking that with all the navigation Cyril is going to pull back some time. Then at kilometre 247 there was a modification to the road book and you had to find a piste on the left. Except the rain had washed it away and I took the wrong Rio. Unfortunately the next note was 25 kilometres later on, which meant that in total I rode 50 kilometres extra through big rocks and lost a load of time.”
Stage 4 Winner
[IMG]
Quote:
[/IMG].
Closed Thread