Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #7546
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUDO View Post
don;t know if its been posted yet, but here is Gerard Farres, helping Gasgas rider Enric Marti Flix who started to have full dementia/delirium, probably due to severe dehydration. Gerard and the camera guy trying to keep him in shade and talking to him while waiting fro the heli.
http://www.elgraficochile.cl/video-i...12/121400.html

Scary business

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #7547
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
from Laia's fb

Hi from Bolivia! Very happy for my 12th position!! it's fantastic, but there is a long way yet. Amazing people in Uyuni. I've never seen anything like this before. They are fervorous about Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race. Incredible!!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #7548
skibum_1260
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Might have missed this somewhere but are all of the privateers provided sleeping quarters inside now? No more tents?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #7549
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Oops, I missed my 10,000th post. Years of F5ing made the biggest boost, so thank you all for the company!
You were outdone by Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavo today

too old screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 07:17 PM
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #7550
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #7551
steved57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I was in Bolivia about 8 years ago on business (need to go back to ride) and I tried the leaves and didnt really get any effect from them but it was a great trip and met some interesting people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I didn't notice any real effect from the cocoa leaves. But I did notice a HUGE impact from Soroche pills and they can be had from any farmacia in Bolivia. The ingredients are common and help you acclimate which most of the so called remedies don't do.

2010 KTM 990 Supermoto
2010 KTM RC8
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #7552
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Question:

Who s here the biggest?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #7553
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Bluebull

I think she did. The best I remember is Annie Seel placing either 15th or 17th in about 2007. The best Lulu did was in the 30s. I think. I'm only wrong about 88.5% of the time.
I'm sure Troy will confirm it, he is only ever wrong about 0.5% of the time, but I'm sure he will say less than that !
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #7554
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved57 View Post
Well all caught up now so headed to the woods to hit about 40 miles of tight single track
And I will be exhausted/worn out so I cannot fathom how these guys and gals do Dakar !!!

I hope all make it today and I will be back on here in about 8 hours to see what has transpired

Thanks for the great commentary and insight to all you who are so knowledgable on Dakar and the posts from those who have been there

Go Mike J Go
X2 hit, up 32 miles of Ocala National Forest in Florida on my 530. The sand was wet for a change but going through the deep stuff I cant imagine how hard they are working and in that heat it must be brutal. These are some superhuman men and women to be able to withstand the workweek they have had!!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #7555
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Scary business
damn....
Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #7556
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Brett Cummings

Riaan van Niekerk

Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #7557
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
I'm sure Troy will confirm it, he is only ever wrong about 0.5% of the time, but I'm sure he will say less than that
I hope he does cause I'd really like to know.
Since I posted that, I went looking and it's amazing how little history or knowledge there is about this, the single most important sporting event on planet earth, on the web. (Followed by the ISDE and the IOMTT). Oh yeah, I forgot to add IMHO.
I guess it's some kind of indicator about human nature in that if you do a search for "Dakar Rally History" mostly what you'll get are headlines about the deaths of both competitors and spectators but precious little about the Rally itself. The ASO page has the rallys by stage back to 2007 but that's it.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 07:29 PM
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #7558
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
The aussies dont know whether they are coming or going. Man the times for them are so bad.

Well done Neil!

It must be 2:20 am there?
Hi Neil,

Just caught up, working and reading seriously blows ! Not so early mate I'm on the east coast so 05.20 which is normal for me.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm, the coverage sounded amazing I should have stayed up all night, I'm very tempted (after only two days back at work after five weeks off) to pull a "sickie" tomorrow

I'm amazed that so many riders are wearing the leatt adventure armour ( no offence Pyndon ) I've seen them hung up everywhere and even Cyril was wearing it. The guys who can't keep moving for whatever reason in the hot temperatures are going to stand no chance with that type of armour. I have some and actually tossed it after a few uses. The integrated padding is a nightmare in the heat. Yesterday I took my son to the mx track , he's ten but is a giant so wears my normal leatt armour which I bought after I tried the type in the picture. So I wore my old armour, it was 30 deg at the track and I stalled the bike after 6 laps and I could not get it to kick , I found some shade and stripped off and cooled off whilst trying the bike. I got it to go after 30 minutes ...... And I'm not so unfit either before you start picking on me ( but I am old )

I can't even begin to imagine the sense of panic as you realised you had no shade.

So I spent the day teaching my boy all about managing the heat and cooling himself down, and experimenting with other methods, thanks to all the excellent advice in this thread !

Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #7559
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
My ass hurts just thinking about some of the liaisons on a 450...seems like the liaisons get overlooked in F5 land but I suspect for the racers they are sometimes harder than the specials. The boredom and fatigue must be a killer (and the sore asses).

Good post. I have thought the same thing a million times. Give me my 690 with a Renazco seat at the least. I have heard guys say it's hard staying awake. I think NEduro listed to books on his iPhone on these.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #7560
too old
Keen supporter

So Viladoms is running third, it's beginning to look like his last minute switch could be paying off?

too old screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 12:17 AM
Closed Thread