Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #9046
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
A question for you: Do any of you find the Cliff notes useful?

Its a lot of hard work, and with the photo thread going as well with not all the pics being cross posted here, im a little frustrated to be honest .
I knew I'd have limited time for following the Dakar this year and figured I'd use the Cliff notes to keep up but in reality I've just used this thread. That's not to say I wouldn't have used the Cliff notes if the F5irehose had been as intense as the last few years. Either way I appreciate the effort you and others have put in ensuring that the ADV Dakar experience is unrivaled as a resource for rally geeks like me.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #9047
ssason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simosez View Post
I've looked at it a few times and to be honest, no. I don't find it that useful. I reckon if I need to catch up, a quick scan of say every second page of the f5irehose is much more informative.
same way i do....

www.arcor-kompass-trophy.de
ssason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #9048
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:

Its a lot of hard work, and with the photo thread going as well with not all the pics being cross posted here, im a little frustrated to be honest .
Still very appreciated here and in cliff notes whether you choose to continue or not. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #9049
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:

only at first because I didn't follow the rallye this year till stage 3 (or follow at all last year but that's another story). I'm trying to get my kids to look at the cliff notes, though with little success.

What I really want is two threads - F5 and pictures. Nothing else is necessary IMHO. I love the trucks and the cars are occasionally interesting. i always enjoyed going through this thread and not knowing what you were going to learn next.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #9050
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
If I am reading things right, Coma, Rodrigues, Despres, and Przygonski are the only ones in the top bunch without an engine change. 15 minutes added to any of their times or engine failure out on the course would shake up the order and chances of any of them to podium. 45 minutes added to Viladoms or Pain would kick them off the podium for sure. Bam Bam crashing out, engine changes, blown engines, and riding speed will give us a good show to the end I believe.
You're not reading right. The only ones on the top ten that already changed engines are Pain and Viladoms. As far as we know.

Barreda is so far from Coma and so ahead of Viladoms that 15 min is not a problem. Tactically speaking it would make sense for Barreda, to change engine today.

Helder, Cyril and Kuba are the ones that have to play whether or not to change engine or try to go the full distance without and try to reach Olivier Pain (who already did change).

Standings after Stage 10 (courtesy of www.trackingdakar.nl - please donate!)

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #9051
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 590
Thanks for splitting the coverage so this is a bike race.

Not using cliff notes, as this thread is manageable (see above).
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #9052
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,429
I look at the cliff notes thread occasionally, but the thread is closed to conversation so not as much fun. A lot of work for sure and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #9053
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Overall standing in cars:

Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #9054
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
I doubt HRC or Yamaha expect to de-throne a 14 year juggernaut in just a few years of full effort (Yammie's effort wasn't ever really well funded enough to be a threat until 3ish years ago). Even if the HRC effort imploded tomorrow I don't think they could characterize this years effort as a waste. They've proven their riders are fast, their bikes are fast, and they are (so far) reliable-ish -gotta fix that stator issue, and Sam's problems may have been induced by running the engine at angles it wasn't intended to operate at. But they will have learnt some valuable lessons in their campaign to stand atop the podium which can only make them better in the long run.

How long did it take for KTM to unseat BMW and Yamaha in the early 90's?
From the post's I have read after the fact... I understood that Sam's problem's (back early on SS3) stemmed from continuing to ride with a lower exhaust pipe that had been squashed flat (normal fast racing incident), and subsequently the bike ceased to make sufficient power to climb the (big) hills, requiring the supremely young and fit (but maybe inexperienced) Sundersam (by his own words) to run up the hills beside the er to continue.

Having accomplished that (a feat in it's own right... but arguably missplaced energy depletion) and (as it turned out) a critically flawed navigational misstake (contributed by a combination ofaltitude and exhaustion from the uphill triathlon run?) saw the Sultan of Sand descend into the canyon of doom, whereby he (along with his adopted convict half brother Grabbo ) continued the herculean effort to drag carry, bite and chew their way to the end of SS3 and complete the stage.

Now hindsight is 20/20... and as it turns out the hiding that Sam's motor took on SS3 cashed out it's chips early on SS4. End of the poker game for Sam.

Be that as it may, the SS3 saga in itself is an effort worthy of Dakar legend... but was it necessary? Was it avoidable? Would we have seen - for example Coma or Despres (at this stage of their career and experience at hand) fall in the same trap? In as humble terms as possible... I think not?

I've said it before on the f5irehose... as far back as 2007... but Coma and Despres (Ullevĺlsätter is another) are masters of "damage control" mode. We have seen both Cyril and Marc in years gone by, stop on a stage to effect repairs MID STAGE (if only minor in nature at the time) in order to ensure that the bike did not suffer a TERMINAL failure.

This year (stage 5 or 6 i forget now?), Despres stops to fix electrical fault. @ 20 minutes stopped... but where is he (still) now?

Two years ago, Coma stops (while leading) to patch his radiator holed by a stick. Drops five to seven minutes on Despres (while engaged in one of their epic; you win today, I lead out tomorrow minute and second battles. Sure the time drop (at the instant) was substantial... but he averted lunching the motor completely. I also recall Arcarons or Roma once doing a fuel pump jerry rig on the old LC4 660 Rallye back in the Africa days... had he not, the fuel (from a leaking tank) would have depleted to the point, where he had not enough fuel to make it through... but by doing so remained in touch with the lead of the race. (not sure... I could have been the year Nani won?).

The point of all this (and it's easy to be an airmchair quarterback, when you have a rearview mirror to complement the crystal ball)... but contemplate the f5act that had Sam stopped (when he first noted the pancaked header pipe) and made efforts to remedy (or even remove) the problem... maybe he would not have exhausted his reserves, missed the waypoint at the crown of the ridge, ended up in the valley of doom and the motor cough up a lung the day after*

*Geezus... I must have contracted Gordini "if-itis" to spew forth that sentence of "if's"...

Expereience, cool headednes, damage control and tenacity... are also Alien qualities - not just speed, fitness, navigational prowess and a factory team's backing.

Coma and Despres have a decade of this to fall back on... Sam hopefully all in front of him, but not to put it too subtly - not stopping to remedy the engine pipe damage was a fatal tactical misjudgement. He saw his lead (stage win the day before) slipping away, and in an effort to hold on... the tighter the grasp - the more it slips way. What is the first thing a lifeguard has to get a drowning individual to do in a surf rescue situation... calm the f5#¤ down! CDp and MC have that in spades... as do many of the mid pack and malle moto stallwarts.

So where was I going with all this...? Screwed if I know...?

Oh yeah...! Testosterone and the Laia inspired womens equality debate. With all of the above into consideration, look at where Laia is, and where many others are not. And no - Laia doesn't have her uncle Arcarons shadowing* her on the course this year either... she is doing it stand up/straight up.

*Some female competitors in past years have had "minders" (accomplished male riders) who were entered to ride with and assist where necessary.

There is more to the DAKAR than sheer strength, ability and testosterone. And that's what makes it so interesting... and THAT's why I think that Miss Sanz has a future in the event... on her own merit as a rider, not just because she's a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #9055
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Standings after Stage 10 (courtesy of www.trackingdakar.nl - please donate!)
Thanks. How does one get to that graphic? I've played around on the site but haven't found the door to the cool graph.

Don't forget to donate. Mischa's work is the best!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #9056
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Thanks. How does one get to that graphic? I've played around on the site but haven't found the door to the cool graph.

It is just to the right of the "Twitter" Button (Top Right of Page), but, I can't seem to get it to work for me.
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #9057
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:

Mischa's da man!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #9058
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,238
I F5reaking LOVE IT...

Quote:

But I read anything I can from all you F5ckers during this two week F5renzy. However, if it effects your quality of the Dakar experience, I completely understand you focusing on the race.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #9059
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 167
Come on Laia !

SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #9060
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
Given the size of that team and their bottomless pit of cash, they are almost certainly doing an oil analysis as well as dropping a fiber optic camera into the head and looking for damage every night in the bivouac. KTM isn't about to leave anything to chance.
Those inspection cameras are readily available today and are great for inspecting the cylinder/psiton withing having to tear down the head to do so.

Harbor Freight has them on sale fairly often. You'd be amazed at how often you will use it.

http://tinyurl.com/lllvbel
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote