Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #11746
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Bravo Team F5.

I must inquire about 51 year old Belgian warrior Eric Palante Did he die of exposure, medical issues? I have not forgotten him. He truly perished on the battle field.

Hats off to the male men, Laia, Bam Bam and Coma. My first full time ride with the F5 gang, awesome.

Thank you all.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #11747
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Bravo Team F5.

I must inquire about 51 year old Belgian warrior Eric Palante Did he die of exposure, medical issues? I have not forgotten him. He truly perished on the battle field.

Hats off to the male men, Laia, Bam Bam and Coma. My first full time ride with the F5 gang, awesome.

Thank you all.
ahhhh, Dakar aint a battle field but I'm sure he was busting his ass.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #11748
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
I think he succumbed to heart failure due to heat stroke.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #11749
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,475
I thought I would copy my summary of the second half the rally from the jennydakar.com Facebook page, as a fitting tribute to all those who contested this past week - and especially this last stage - so valiantly!

Dakar stage 13 and 2014 event summary: "While there are literally a million photos out there from Dakar 2014, for me, this candid snap at the end of stage 13 exemplifies what Dakar is all about...

With 78 Moto starters away in reverse order this morning, we imagined the 157km stage would be a formality for all but the top riders who were desperately chasing (or trying to retain) a podium place. Certainly for #67 Robert Van Pelt - the 20 year old Dutchman who had entered this (his second) year in the Malle Moto unassisted class, the goal was simply to reach the end of what had been a fierce battle for the class lead, and who, after some stunning stage results in the first half of the rally, had decided wisely to back off the pace a little and preserve his Honda until the end.

However, fate dealt a cruel blow early into the stage when his chain broke, and while he desperately tried to remedy the problem, the rest of the field passed him by... and he could see his top-twenty finish and once comfortable margin (over an hour and a half ahead of second Malle Moto competitor #59 Brett Cummings) slipping away. Fortunately he didn't lose his resolve, and with borrowed tools from another competitor, he was able to effect a repair and continue to the end of the stage, where he was the very last bike home - amongst the dust and dirt of the cars and trucks who had also caught him up and passed him by.

Despite his misfortune, I am delighted to announce that Robert was able to retain his overall #1 position at the head of the Malle Moto class, and finished 27th overall in the general classification, one position and just 17 minutes ahead of his rival for the trophy, the South African rider #59 Brett Cummings.

My other highlighted riders fortunately had an uneventful last stage - the last US rider in the 2014 edition #92 Mike Johnson brought his Honda home in 74th overall, while quad rider #259 Camelia Liparoti secured her 5th Dakar finish in 13th overall in the Quad class.

Of course the outstanding ride of the rally has to have been #50 Laia Sanz, who rode a consistent and considered rally, never far from the top twenty overall, and quite often right in the mix with the best of the full-factory team riders. Of course Laia herself is a multi-world champion in Trials and more recently extreme enduro, but in the still male-dominated world of International Rally-Raid, her 16th overall result is nothing short of outstanding... indeed she is the first woman in 30 years of Dakar to finish inside the top twenty, and her 2014 position the third highest result in the history of the event.

And finally in the Motos, a word about what was one of the closest finishes ever for a final Dakar stage. #1 incumbent Cyril Despres who had suffered a series of misfortunes in the first half of the rally had been steadily working his way back through the pack, and at the start of the final stage this morning, had to make up 3 minutes 45 seconds on his [rival] Yamaha teammate to take the third step of the podium - and all within 157kms. Despite the starting order being reversed so that Despres would have to work his way through a number of slower riders ahead of him, he fought an amazing battle that ultimately saw him finish the stage in first place overall, but just 35 SECONDS away from the podium... something he has not had to concede for over 10 years!

Despite this stand-out performance, equal credit ought to go to his Yamaha team mate #6 Olivier Pain, who like #4 Jordi Villadoms in 2nd place overall, rode a pretty much faultless ride throughout the two weeks - a well deserved podium finish for both of them!

And of course congratulations must go to #2 Marc Coma - the overall winner of the Moto category this year. Having had to miss out on Dakar 2013 due to injury contesting the World Championship a couple of months before, Marc was back with a bang - and took the latest incarnation of the Factory KTM450 to a text-book win.

Congratulations to all the competitors who made it to Valparaiso this afternoon, and commiserations to those who failed to realise their dreams. Roll on Dakar 2015!"

I would also like to add my thanks to all those that made the F5irehose such an AWESOME place to be this year - I think we all agree that the quality of the coverage here, together with the outstanding media feed from so many different sources made this one of the BEST Dakars ever!!! - oh, and of course the competitors also did their bit to keep us entertained and enthralled throughout the two weeks ;o)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually looking forward to NOT staring at a computer screen 12 hours a day...

Hmmmmm... think I might pop out to the shed tomorrow... I've got a bike to build ;o)

Toot toot y'all!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 02:24 PM
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #11750
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
ahhhh, Dakar aint a battle field but I'm sure he was busting his ass.
I'm thinking that was a metaphorical reference.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #11751
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Congrats to all who competed - finishers and non-finishers!

Special congrats to my NORRA racing competitor - Octavio Valle finishing and placing 64th.

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #11752
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,918
Missing Bike?

Did Pal Anders Ullevalseter's bike every get recovered?

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #11753
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post
I think so, yes.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #11754
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post

Yes he did.. Think only the front fender was missing..
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #11755
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,782
WrktoSrf"s gonna have some great stories
Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #11756
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
WrktoSrf"s gonna have some great stories
He has been oddly quiet, not one post from our F5 man on the ground.....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 01-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #11757
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,562
Kids tucked into bed now, soft music playing, I might even get a drink... Another year, another Dakar edition is already history...

Thank you for the company ladies and gents, it was great fun watching numbers on a screen for 14 days with you...

Many thoughts and comments in my mind right now but I'll save for later, only one thing:

Angelo, this one was really for you, you are our Kurt.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #11758
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
Thank you everyone. Didn't get in to it quite as much this year after Ned and Lyndon the last couple of years but thoroughly enjoyed all the updates.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #11759
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,062
Now what am I going to do?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #11760
Anders F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCat View Post
From what I read he rolled his car. There was a video posted a while back.

It comes up at around 1:00 minute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TElb-9MKck
Yes but my question is how this could happend on the liason?
i would have understand it if it was on the special.
Closed Thread