F I'm old.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #11807
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Class act....good job Coma. Hope it makes it into print "this one's for Kurt".
Agreed, I hope so too, although it appears they made sure. Good ride, everybody, Thanks a lot! See you on the next one.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #11808
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,822
Been here since '05, when my riding/bro died, AND I had to sell my Super T, XTZ750. Thank you all, so much, for the coverage. I had Cycle World mag pages on my wall, back in '82. It's so great that the Dakar, and the Dakar coverage [thanks to 'Baldy,] has come so far. Thank you all, again, for your enthusiasm, and your efforts. "When I grow up-I'm gonna be a Dakar Rally racer..." Namaste! [Knute, lurker.]
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #11809
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Did not get to contribute very much this year, but was able to stay up to date thanks to the tremendous effort from all the inmates.

Thanks you all a pleasure to follow Dakar on ADVrider!

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #11810
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,499
Thank you for an exceptional year full of ups and downs. Condolences to Eric's family. To my F5 family, let's do it again next year. Cheers.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #11811
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Homologation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Read something earlier in this F5 thread or pre-F5 thread that Honda says they will produce their rally bike they used in this Dakar, for sale to the general public. My guess is it will be very pricey if they do.

Nothing from KTM except rumors for a decade.
They are supposed to be building a minimum of 200 for sale to satisfy the rules of entry to what they have just done so you should and can buy one. You can also buy a KTM Rally now.

Just need money.
Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #11812
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
They are supposed to be building a minimum of 200 for sale to satisfy the rules of entry to what they have just done so you should and can buy one. You can also buy a KTM Rally now.

Just need money.
Cheers
Pilbara
Yeah, I think the KTM rally replica is available, for a price. . . .

Seriously, I'm sad this rally is over. One of the best in the 5 or so years since I started following. Actually, the best for sure from a fan's perspective, especially a Coma fan. The south america dakar is working pretty damn well.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #11813
Scottyridewhere?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide View Post
KTM did with the 640 Adventure (similar to the 660 Rallye) untill 2007 but I think the consumer community hadn't realized they wanted it. KTM was only selling 200 640 Adventures a year when they killed it off. Now the community is interested but nothing replaced it. But it's still a fringe market and the factories probably don't feel the volume of sales wouldn't be there.
IMO, what consumers actually want is not a 'road legal rally machine', but a rally STYLED machine with concessions to the real world of stop lights and inseam lengths (not all of us are over 6' tall!).

Give me a 250-450cc bike with 500km/300mi range, a seat height of 29-31", hard bags of medium capacity, wide-ratio 6-sp gearbox, good lighting (such as the Hella lights on the Brittania Composites KLR fairing), and I would be happy for a LOOOONG time!

The manufacturers are driving away potential women riders by the boatload because of a lack of models that actually FIT the average woman. My girlfriend is short - 4'-10 (way below average) and is just starting to learn to ride.. she is rather disappointed that the ONLY machines she can even 'get a leg over' are cruisers.. and those don't fit the rest of her body!

BMW has got at least ONE eye on the real world with their GS models, but size and price put them out of the running for a whole lot of us.. Will any manufacturer take the risk and offer something that WORKS in the real world?

Apologies for the hijack/commentary, I very much appreciate the effort of all here at ADV keeping the F5hose going, and especially to every rider who made it to the start line of the DAKAR... They are living a dream, and coming away with much more than any of us who have not participated can imagine! I DO, however wish that, with the change of venue to South America, the ASO might consider changing the name of the rally to Atacama or some such, to reflect the new location.. it isn't Dakar anymore.

Keep the shiny side up!
S.
Scottyridewhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #11814
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 356
Thanks everyone. It has been an amazing Dakar, with a lot of llama drama ding dong going on!

BTW: what's the penalty for changing the F5 button?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #11815
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Sooooo.....

What manufacturer is finally going to produce a Rallye replica for all us Walter Mitty types ?

It'd be doubly nice if it was even available in the USA (unlike many others in the past).

Thoughts??
Geez Ladder, it'll have to be a very impressive machine to replace the mighty DR750 Big.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #11816
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,213

AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #11817
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Geez Ladder, it'll have to be a very impressive machine to replace the mighty DR750 Big.
I know - but gosh, that's a 25 year old bike. Love riding it.

Wouldn't something newer be nice? I think the manufacturers could do it with an "add-on" kit. Make it fit a range of machines from 400cc say up to the 690's etc.

It could just start with a larger tank and front fairing and progress all the way to rear tanks and nav. equipment.

That way it wouldn't have to be any one specific model or specific displacement.

I'm certain they'd sell in S. America at the very least.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #11818
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Sooooo.....

What manufacturer is finally going to produce a Rallye replica for all us Walter Mitty types ?

It'd be doubly nice if it was even available in the USA (unlike many others in the past).

Thoughts??
My thought: Why???? What's a replica? a big fuel tank and some stickers or an actual contender for a privateer? There are certainly smaller firms out there that can build you a contender but factory contenders or "customer" bikes aren't offered by many.

Though I must admit I was attracted to the early '90 BMWs with big tanks, heck I bought a F650 PD because of the stickers....

Thanks everybody for a fabulous two weeks and lead up!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #11819
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,451
CCM 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyridewhere? View Post
IMO, what consumers actually want is not a 'road legal rally machine', but a rally STYLED machine with concessions to the real world of stop lights and inseam lengths (not all of us are over 6' tall!).

Give me a 250-450cc bike with 500km/300mi range, a seat height of 29-31", hard bags of medium capacity, wide-ratio 6-sp gearbox, good lighting (such as the Hella lights on the Brittania Composites KLR fairing), and I would be happy for a LOOOONG time!

The manufacturers are driving away potential women riders by the boatload because of a lack of models that actually FIT the average woman. My girlfriend is short - 4'-10 (way below average) and is just starting to learn to ride.. she is rather disappointed that the ONLY machines she can even 'get a leg over' are cruisers.. and those don't fit the rest of her body!

BMW has got at least ONE eye on the real world with their GS models, but size and price put them out of the running for a whole lot of us.. Will any manufacturer take the risk and offer something that WORKS in the real world?

Apologies for the hijack/commentary, I very much appreciate the effort of all here at ADV keeping the F5hose going, and especially to every rider who made it to the start line of the DAKAR... They are living a dream, and coming away with much more than any of us who have not participated can imagine! I DO, however wish that, with the change of venue to South America, the ASO might consider changing the name of the rally to Atacama or some such, to reflect the new location.. it isn't Dakar anymore.

Keep the shiny side up!
S.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #11820
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,842
Bluhduh Not half...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post

Mr HRC doesn't look that disappointed.

Farkar!!!

"And now... after podium ceremoni Bam Bam-san... you do seppuku ceremoni..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote