Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Bear Archer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thinking about going to burning man this year. Anyone want to join? Aug 25-sep 1

So I'm seriously thinking about going to burning man this year. It would be my first so I'm fairly exited. It's looking like I have 7-9 days to get there and back.

I'm from and live in East Texas and figured I'd put the word out there if someone wanted to join somewhere along the way. As of right now I'm going up there solo.

If you've been post up with cool experiences/tips. Or if you know of some good places to stop on the way there.

I'll post more details later.

Bear Archer screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 11:24 AM
Bear Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 117
Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. I've never been either, but I'll be heading west soon - on a long "rideabout" at the moment.

Keep me in the loop. Burning Man could be a great time

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
TheRog
Dirtylittle funhaver

Oddometer: 75
burning to go

So I live in sacramento, and have never gone to burning man before.
I would love to go on a motorcycle, just need a ticket, and I can meet up with you somewhere in Nevada
TheRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
mtnseeker1
dirty me

Oddometer: 39
Go once cause it it something to experience

Other than that you might never return to it
Like the Rainbow gatherings.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
BullShatter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Burning Man

You may want to check, it was my understanding that BM typically sells out and there is a waiting list for tickets.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I have to take a piss test to keep my job, so no.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Bear Archer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShatter View Post
You may want to check, it was my understanding that BM typically sells out and there is a waiting list for tickets.
If I understand correctly there is still a chance to get a ticket. If I am reading this right there is still a chance to get one.
http://tickets.burningman.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRog View Post
So I live in sacramento, and have never gone to burning man before.
I would love to go on a motorcycle, just need a ticket, and I can meet up with you somewhere in Nevada
That could work.
I'm looking at taking off work 23rd - 29th. I really wanted to take more time off from work but it doesn't look possible this year. It'll be a tight schedule but it'll still be fun. I'm sure 3 days of BM will be plenty for my first go of it.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 562
I'm going for my second time this year, and I could not imagine doing it on a bike without a support vehicle. You'll want two gallons of water per day, that alone would be a trick. Add in food, camping gear, clothing, survival gear, and it becomes a car load fast.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
I'm going for my second time this year, and I could not imagine doing it on a bike without a support vehicle. You'll want two gallons of water per day, that alone would be a trick. Add in food, camping gear, clothing, survival gear, and it becomes a car load fast.

Never been, but from the pics and videos and seeing the condition of vehicles that return from BM I would agree a motorcycle not adequate.

But have a good time anyway.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 562
I'ma have a GREAT time! And I'll have a clean bike waiting for me when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Ix
Anatomically incorrect

Oddometer: 96
Late to this thread

I did my first Burning Man last year in a Ford Mustang. I had the car pretty full, but I was feeling extravagant, since normally I carry all my camping crap in a backpack or kayak (including water). The car felt like a luxury.

I think BM can be done on a bike, with careful planning, good resource management, and some creative packing. In fact, it might be possible to do it with only a couple gallons of water packed in, by relying on the ice sales.

I was planning to do BM on a motorcycle this year and prove all the naysayers wrong, but my life has crumbled into chaos since last BM and now it would be a hardship to get prepared in time, so I just threw my ticket back into the STEP system.

For some future BM, I plan to try to organize an ADV camp here on advrider.com and see if we can't pull together our own camp. I need some like-minded friends to hang out with at BM, and some fellow motorcyclists would be a good start. If I'm lucky, I might recruit one or more with sidecars.

- Ix
Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Ix
Anatomically incorrect

Oddometer: 96
For anyone still thinking about going to Burning man for the first time, some advice:

Don't do your first Burning Man on a motorcycle. The event is an extreme logistical challenge even for an experienced camper with a truckload of crap and helpful friends. Go at least once before you try something many veteran burners think is impossible.

Plan ahead. Way ahead. Burning Man is not an event you just "drop by" on a whim. If you've never been before, you have to start planning a year or more in advance, research everything to death (begin by reading the Burning Man Survival Guide, then move on to Google and the eplaya forums), complete long checklists, and triple check them before you leave home.

Burning Man is basically like camping on the moon. You have to bring everything with you - food, water, clothing, shade, a domicile that will withstand a multi-day wind storm, goggles, face mask, everything. At BM there are no stores to sell you anything, there are no doctors, and the police are not there to help you out. There is only one thing you can buy on site (ice) and sometimes they run out. If you run out of anything you need, you're fucked, end of event, leave while you're still alive and try again next year.

Even harder: the event is only allowed to continue if the playa returns to its pristine condition after everyone leaves, so the rules say no trash, no holes, no puddles, no oil or chemicals, no nothing left behind. You literally have to pack out everything except your shit (they do have toilets). It turns out one of the greatest challenges is getting rid of used water. If you cooked with it, brushed your teeth with it, washed your dishes with it, or did something else to make it no longer potable, you have to evaporate it. You can't dump water onto the playa. Puddles are bad, and if you're caught you're fined and/or ejected.

Get a ticket as soon as possible if you're serious about going. It's hard to get a Burning Man ticket. BM is "limiting" the event to 70,000 people this year, and the tickets still sold out within hours of each round of sales. I got into my sales period within seconds of it opening, waited in the electronic queue for almost two hours, and learned that the tickets were sold out shortly after I acquired mine.

Read this page if you want to see how the ticket sales work this year. You already missed almost all the critical dates.

There are always flaky hippies selling off paper tickets because they can't go after all, and it's technically possible to get one up until the last minute, but you won't be the only person looking for one and the competition is fierce. Also, this year BM is also limiting vehicles by selling vehicle passes. They were already out when I got my ticket. Those too can be bought second hand, but I expect them to be about as hard to acquire as tickets.

If you don't get to go this year and want to go in 2015, start watching http://www.burningman.com/ in December and keep up with the ticket system as they publish information. Burning Man is run by volunteers, so things tend to be disorganized, changes get published at the last minute, and sometimes things just break. Occasionally they make a last-minute change without warning that completely screw up your chances to go.

If you want to go, make it happen. Burning Man is surreal, and unique. If you like machines (most of us here do), BM is a riot. The weird vehicles people make to drive around the playa for a week will blow your mind. The extreme size, shape, and design of things people build as temporary structures is amazing. Even if you don't like art, you have to appreciate the amount of work and money (and sometimes, technology) that goes into the giant, complicated art structures on the playa.

- Ix

Ix screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 08:25 PM Reason: For anyone still thinking about going to Burning man for the first time
Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
Bear Archer OP
Adventurer

Sorry haven't really posted up anything. My boss at work basically told me I can't have off so it's I'm going to just try for it next year.

Thanks for everyone that posted advice.