ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
1190 must have alterations

Ok, so I just did a down payment on one of the last euro 2013 1190 Adventure R's (received a big discount from the dealer ).
I've had a 990 for 4 years now and I always loved it, but I also admit it was a bike that needed some alterations to fix annoying issues. I've already heard that there seems to be a problem with the air filter of the 1190, so I'll get a uni filter to solve that (if I can get it over here, I don't seem to find an online dealer in Europe). What other alterations are a must for the bike?
- After installing a sports exhaust, do we pull the SAS off as we did with the 990? Is the resistor trick working?
- What about the clutch slave? Did they finally improve on the one they had on the 990 or do we still need that Oberon?
- Any known waterpump leaking issues?
- Anything else I should fix before getting the bike through its paces?

What about Luggage? The KTM stuff seemed like crap so I did not order it with the bike and the Touratech deserves a sign saying "caution, wide load". Any suggestions on hard or soft Luggage systems?
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,681
16t counter sprocket
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Fuel pump assembly is the same crap, prepump filter is the new improved version, bigger and with no membrane but only PE non woven structure, prefilter at cap is not a bad idea

The slave of the clutch is the improved version with lip seal, should work fine, if you touch sas or else the warranty will expire, sure you want to to that way??

No need to remove the valve, close the hole and leave the valve attached to the cable as long there are no news.

My 990 has being working like this for the last 70km and no harm done ;););)

Don't know abut the voltage regulator, if it's the same as in the past ciao ciao baby ;)

As for the rest, ride it and enjoy the emotion of a new bike ;)

guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
The very first thing that went on mine was a radiator guard...

Also decent tyre valve caps so you dont loose air, you can see the small plastic one sitting on the floor...thats what I did...

Congrats on the bike and let us know of your personal thoughts, and try not to be too emtotional, just kidding, hard not to be, you have a KTM

OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
Ok, so I just did a down payment on one of the last euro 2013 1190 Adventure R's (received a big discount from the dealer ).
I've had a 990 for 4 years now and I always loved it, but I also admit it was a bike that needed some alterations to fix annoying issues. I've already heard that there seems to be a problem with the air filter of the 1190, so I'll get a uni filter to solve that (if I can get it over here, I don't seem to find an online dealer in Europe). What other alterations are a must for the bike?
- After installing a sports exhaust, do we pull the SAS off as we did with the 990? Is the resistor trick working?
- What about the clutch slave? Did they finally improve on the one they had on the 990 or do we still need that Oberon?
- Any known waterpump leaking issues?
- Anything else I should fix before getting the bike through its paces?

What about Luggage? The KTM stuff seemed like crap so I did not order it with the bike and the Touratech deserves a sign saying "caution, wide load". Any suggestions on hard or soft Luggage systems?
I got some Holan panniers...excellent stuff. Very good quality finish, good looking as well. No props with the waterpump. Get some of my heatshields to protect from the engine heat on the left...you'll see:)) Goe om uw binnenbeentjes koel te houden;))
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
The very first thing that went on mine was a radiator guard...

Also decent tyre valve caps so you dont loose air, you can see the small plastic one sitting on the floor...thats what I did...

Congrats on the bike and let us know of your personal thoughts, and try not to be too emtotional, just kidding, hard not to be, you have a KTM

What engine guard is that. Quite a nice one.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
http://www.radguard.com.au/products/...tor-guard.html

Thanks for your compliment, this Radguard comes from the most amazing place on earth, Oz, just kidding, yes its a beauty so well made, and fits perfectly, anyone could fit it, even me...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That radiator guard does look great!
Another thing came tot mind: did KTM provide us with a place on the harness to install accessories like a cable for my GPS? I like it tot be switched over the ignition and loved how the 990 had a slot provided under the front fairing.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
http://www.radguard.com.au/products/...tor-guard.html

Thanks for your compliment, this Radguard comes from the most amazing place on earth, Oz, just kidding, yes its a beauty so well made, and fits perfectly, anyone could fit it, even me...
LOL...Negative...it's NZ:)). Not gonna give you that one:)
Question...that fuel hose guard just below the radiator guard is that part of it or is that the bikes'?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Another thing came tot mind: did KTM provide us with a place on the harness to install accessories like a cable for my GPS? I like it tot be switched over the ignition and loved how the 990 had a slot provided under the front fairing.
yes, there are plugs front and rear
ACC1 - unswitched 10A max
ACC2 - switched 1A max
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Master,

As you ordered one of the last 2013 models, you should have gotten the 2014 upgrade for free. Your sidestand should be fixed (flaw on the 2013) and also the 2014 airbox should be installed. Be sure to ask your dealer about the airbox. Other changes are the MSC and the flickering of the taillight when riding over bumps. It's something with the software and not with the rear braking pedal.

I ordered a 2014 but did not receive it yet so I can't check it myself. But from what I read on this forum there should be 2 cables behind the frond light below the cigarette plug. There should be two pairs, one switched over the ignition the other one "always" on.

And at which dealer did you order the bike?
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Master OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensdccom View Post
Master,

As you ordered one of the last 2013 models, you should have gotten the 2014 upgrade for free. Your sidestand should be fixed (flaw on the 2013) and also the 2014 airbox should be installed. Be sure to ask your dealer about the airbox. Other changes are the MSC and the flickering of the taillight when riding over bumps. It's something with the software and not with the rear braking pedal.

I ordered a 2014 but did not receive it yet so I can't check it myself. But from what I read on this forum there should be 2 cables behind the frond light below the cigarette plug. There should be two pairs, one switched over the ignition the other one "always" on.

And at which dealer did you order the bike?
I got it from Hautekiet near Bruges. It was the model they had on display in the showroom. Got a cash discount on it and the MSC for free. I suppose they will give me the most recent software as well (why wouldn't they?). As for the sidestand and airbox: I don't know, if they are official KTM recalls, I suppose they have no choice but to fix them, but I'm not sure if there actually is a recall for the airbox. Anyone knows if there is a list of official KTM recalls somewhere?

So the ACC1 and ACC2 are located under the cigarette plug? Not the most convenient location in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Daveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
I got it from Hautekiet near Bruges. It was the model they had on display in the showroom. Got a cash discount on it and the MSC for free. I suppose they will give me the most recent software as well (why wouldn't they?). As for the sidestand and airbox: I don't know, if they are official KTM recalls, I suppose they have no choice but to fix them, but I'm not sure if there actually is a recall for the airbox. Anyone knows if there is a list of official KTM recalls somewhere?

So the ACC1 and ACC2 are located under the cigarette plug? Not the most convenient location in my opinion.
I to got my 1190A from Hautekiet last August. Medio January I hope to get the msc installed (off course I have to pay for it). I'm also wondering what upgrades will be free of charge (air box, side strand, ...?)
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:

I bought mine at "Motorshop Desmet" (Waregem). Heard some good things about them. The airbox is no official recall but is a mayor change though. There are multiple cases of dust in the airbox because of deformation of the airbox under presure. The 2014 model has some changes to the airbox which prevents the deformation.

I also read on these forums that the ACC1 and ACC2 are quite easy to access with some wire. You have to "fish" for it :p
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Daveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
In case they don't perform the Airbox upgrade for free, it doesn't seem to be that expensive... I checked the different parts on http://fichefinder.ktm.com

and for as far as I can see it should be 48,74 EURO (no labor):

AIRBOX 2014

60306001100 (air filter housing lower part) = 25,33 EURO
5 x 0017060305 (special screw) = 5 x 1,34 EURO = 6,7 EURO
60306016100 (filter frame mesh) = 9,85 EURO
2 x 0770066025 (o-ring) = 2x 3,43 EURO = 6,86 EURO
———————
TOTAAL = 48,74 EURO
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote