ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #151
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Your numbers are screwed up. The total is less than the subset.
OK, 24,420 and 21,978 it should have been.

The reports states 90% of injuries the riders were travelling at less than 60 kph.

I'll admit I lack the necessary physic powers to interpret it beyond that. Perhaps some were accelerating, some braking, some travelling at that speed. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps..... might be something you could make into a song, I wonder?

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 03:43 AM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #152
Jumping Jack Flash
USG Vagabond
 
Jumping Jack Flash's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: "In transit" NoVA, VA
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
"BIKERS" wear Denim and leather and are minimalists.

"Riders" Wear Riding Gear. Some all of it others some of it.

Most Cruiser Riders are (or want to be) "BIKERS"

It really is that simple.
It's tough being a "Rider" in a "Biker" world. Paging Cyndi Lauper!

__________________
2007 Sabre
Jumping Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #153
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
OK, 24,420 and 21,978 it should have been.

The reports states 90% of injuries the riders were traveling at less than 60 kph.
Clearly, this number is likely represented to a significant degree by folks who believed that they are safer because they were traveling slower.

What many riders don't take into account is that seldom do these collisions take place on the open highway, though some do. I would suspect that greater exposure to other traffic, intersections, pedestrians, and similar factors found in higher population density areas is a primary factor for the remarkable number of collisions that happen at these slower speeds.

By this is illustrated how a belief that speed alone is the key factor for safety ignores the myriad other factors present in a low speed environment that contribute to injuries from collisions.

Bottom line, the people with the most exposure to risk are also those less likely to want to don the gear for their short urban commutes to work, shopping, social events (bars) and other slow speed activities, regardless of the fact that they are the demographic most likely to benefit from wearing this gear.

This is called cognitive dissonance.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #154
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer
 
scootrboi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Clearly, this number is likely represented to a significant degree by folks who believed that they are safer because they were traveling slower.

What many riders don't take into account is that seldom do these collisions take place on the open highway, though some do. I would suspect that greater exposure to other traffic, intersections, pedestrians, and similar factors found in higher population density areas is a primary factor for the remarkable number of collisions that happen at these slower speeds.

By this is illustrated how a belief that speed alone is the key factor for safety ignores the myriad other factors present in a low speed environment that contribute to injuries from collisions.

Bottom line, the people with the most exposure to risk are also those less likely to want to don the gear for their short urban commutes to work, shopping, social events (bars) and other slow speed activities, regardless of the fact that they are the demographic most likely to benefit from wearing this gear.

This is called cognitive dissonance.
What is truly amazing, and has not even been mentioned, is the percent of collisions that occur at a standstill.
__________________
42 years on a Heinkel Tourist
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #155
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
What is truly amazing, and has not even been mentioned, is the percent of collisions that occur at a standstill.
If you had a TARDIS you could even run into yourself ...
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #156
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,737
Do Harley people consider a Wee strom a V Twin?just askin?????
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
Oh wow what a trip!?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #157
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Do Harley people consider a Wee strom a V Twin?just askin?????
You'd have to ask someone else!
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #158
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,250
If the cylinders are in a V configuration and there are 2 of them, then it is a V twin, does not matter who made it
__________________
1996 Harley Tour Glide
1998 Honda Helix
1989 Honda Pacific Coast
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #159
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If the cylinders are in a V configuration and there are 2 of them, then it is a V twin, does not matter who made it
I just figured the Pirate crowd would call it a poser motor.
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
Oh wow what a trip!?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #160
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If the cylinders are in a V configuration and there are 2 of them, then it is a V twin, does not matter who made it
Well yeah, but does it sound like a fing hot rod and handle like a pregnant mule?
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #161
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Well yeah, but does it sound like a fing hot rod and handle like a pregnant mule?
Good answer
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
Oh wow what a trip!?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #162
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,046
My sincere apology.....I was slightly drunk when I wrote that last post and did not mean to be disrespectful to Harley riders......shit. I've never owned a Harley and should keep my mouth shut about how they handle.
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #163
Tazzio
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Denver Colo.
Oddometer: 5
I'm a Harley rider, also an old Harley rider, with that being said I have been riding for over 45yrs. back in the 60s we mostly rode English bikes because they were faster, and less expensive than a Harley. Back in those days any kind of safety gear was not even thought of in my crowd of people. When Colorado passed a helmet law I quit riding for a while, it was not very popular law amongst biker community. I couldn't stand not riding, so I bought a helmet hated it. law repealed no helmet. Now days the younger crowd is riding sport bikes the like's of which we never could of experienced in those days, and the younger crowd it seems to me, respect the power and speed these machines provide, and it seems it is more common than not to wear good gear for protection. I recently went down on my Harley broke my ankle, required surgery long recovery time etc. However I was wearing a helmet because of the Scala Rider I use to listen to the radio on my commute to and from work.(the only reason to wear the helmet at the time). That helmet was totally destroyed in the crash. Now I will not ride across the street without a helmet and my Sidi Boots. Most of the people I ride with are Harley riders, and it encourages me that a few of them have started wearing helmets after seeing mine.
Tazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #164
8lives
Oops I fell again
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
My sincere apology.....I was slightly drunk when I wrote that last post and did not mean to be disrespectful to Harley riders......shit. I've never owned a Harley and should keep my mouth shut about how they handle.
No no,hey I built a HD when I was a teen,wore a pirate suit,bike handled like crap and needed constant spanner turning,but it looked cool,sounded like roaring thunder and got me laid on occasion,they may be better now but I still won't have 1 again,love to be at a stop light near 1 and watch his motor shake all over and listen to the music blaring "I'm proud to be an American"don't get me wrong each to his own but I like to laugh and that always makes me laugh,been there done that so I can laugh at um,they always like my knowledge and tools when they are broke down as most modern day pirates don't seem to know how to do much beyond putting gas in the tank.BTW I'm drunk too
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
Oh wow what a trip!?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #165
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
My sincere apology.....I was slightly drunk when I wrote that last post and did not mean to be disrespectful to Harley riders......shit. I've never owned a Harley and should keep my mouth shut about how they handle.
I thought it was really funny.

But keeping to the theme of the thread, I actually think you touch on a good point.

I'll start by saying Harley's clearly can handle in the hands of a good rider who understands the machine. A bloke with his lady on the back was staying with 1 liter sports bikes through a 20 kilometer fairly fast sweeping section the other day. We weren't' pushing it to the max, but still setting a pretty lively pace riding one up. I was impressed.

But then when I ride with an old farts group where there are a lot of older returning riders on their brand new Harley (dressed in a 'bad boy' style) these guys seem to be really struggling to even get em around a corner.

Inexperienced riders, a bike that may not be the easiest to master, and dressed inappropriately....... bad combination IMO.

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 10:17 PM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014