Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #166
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Yep, but they are conforming with their cohorts of HD riders who are a small segment of the US population which is who they practicing non-conformist behaviors.
Small percentage of US population, large percentage of US motorcycle owner population.

The pirate crowd is really no different than the whale skin crowd in regards to conformity, just there aren't as many whale skins as there are pirates.[/QUOTE]More pirates (than power rangers, too.

I lost who said it- but there was a comment about riders getting better as they ride more, so their relative risk goes down.

On average, not really true. A recent survey here reports 34% of riders ride less than 1000 miles a year, more than 3/4 put on less than 5,000 miles a year. IMNSHO, less than 3,000 miles/year and riders are barely holding onto the skills to not fall over and mostly stay between the lines, never mind get better.

Probably doesn't fit here, but have some reading material:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/M...12%20FINAL.pdf
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #167
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
When I was young and dumb I used to ride in jeans and a tee shirt and lidless. There's a certain feeling you get with everything out there in the wind.

I now wear at least an armored jacket, full face helmet, gloves, boots and either kevlar lined pants or my 'stich pants. While sometimes I miss the wind across me, it just isn't worth the risk anymore. My decision entirely.

For the people who ride without gear, the feeling is worth the risk to them. That's about it. More power to them.

Besides, if they quit dressing like pirates, who are we all going to laugh at?
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #168
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I bought a used Dyna a while back cause I like the hot rodded engine it had, well I rode it to a local bike function, that was all bikes not just Harleys. I had all my gear on, and I actually had a Harley rider at the event come up to me and say I don't look right on the bike and I shouldn't be riding one. Well I rode it a few months and decided he was right. sold it and Strom and got new GSA. It was an odd feeling to be told such a thing but it turned out for the best. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #169
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 638
I got out of riding for a few years including the lifestyle, attitudes and cliques. The one thing I learned was that every group or Clique is laughable. You have the guys all dressed up in so much safety gear that they look like the little brother on Xmas story. Then you have the guys wearing all the branded clothes on the new BMW or KTM that they will probably get bored with. Then there are the cruiser rider "pirates" as folks like to call them.

I still say really, the aerostich onesies look a lot more foolish than ANY leather getup. If however if little billy or Joey wants to get dressed up to play motorcycle....all the power to them.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #170
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Atgatt

http://img.eatsleepride.com/content/list/_26566.jpg
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #171
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post

Here you go.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #172
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
I got out of riding for a few years including the lifestyle, attitudes and cliques. The one thing I learned was that every group or Clique is laughable. You have the guys all dressed up in so much safety gear that they look like the little brother on Xmas story. Then you have the guys wearing all the branded clothes on the new BMW or KTM that they will probably get bored with. Then there are the cruiser rider "pirates" as folks like to call them.

I still say really, the aerostich onesies look a lot more foolish than ANY leather getup. If however if little billy or Joey wants to get dressed up to play motorcycle....all the power to them.
Some of us get all dressed up to play motorcycle for comfort and protection.

Aerostich suits are highly functional, what's your problem with them?

What exactly do you wear, or do you just ride naked?

Or perhaps you only ride on warm sunny days when you don't have to get all dressed up?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #173
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Some of us get all dressed up to play motorcycle for comfort and protection.

Aerostich suits are highly functional, what's your problem with them?

What exactly do you wear, or do you just ride naked?

Or perhaps you only ride on warm sunny days when you don't have to get all dressed up?
Why can't we just wear whatever the fuck we feel like and go riding?

Oh, wait, some of us do.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #174
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Why can't we just wear whatever the fuck we feel like and go riding?

Oh, wait, some of us do.
^^^^^^^what he said!I just want people to see me,not in a I look cool way but in a don't hit me kinda way.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #175
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Harley riders have no desire for performance and that makes them girly men.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #176
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Harley riders have no desire for performance and that makes them girly men.
That should bring the pirates outta the corners all mad and defensive!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #177
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

I've never owned an Aerostitch, but excluding the few bright colored ones, they look far less "dress up" most leather cruiser costumes I see.

I do wear a Tourmaster Centurion suit in the winter to stay warm and dry on my daily commute, I'm not real excited about how it looks, but its warm and dry.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #178
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
Quote:

Personally, I'd rather be wearing Aerostich than looking like a member of the Village people.
YMMV.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #179
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Well, finally this has turned into a traditional harley thread with monkeys from both sides flinging their feces. Bravo gentlemen
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #180
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
I bought a used Dyna a while back cause I like the hot rodded engine it had, well I rode it to a local bike function, that was all bikes not just Harleys. I had all my gear on, and I actually had a Harley rider at the event come up to me and say I don't look right on the bike and I shouldn't be riding one. Well I rode it a few months and decided he was right. sold it and Strom and got new GSA. It was an odd feeling to be told such a thing but it turned out for the best. D.
bullshit
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote