Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
bullshit
Must not have been wearing assless chaps
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #182
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Goddam Harley riders fuck it up for everyone.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #183
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post

I think that is a good thing to remember, while also remembering that you can't make judgement calls for others...
We can certainly make judgment calls about others.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #184
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 639
It's interesting to see how threads develop and people feel the need to defend what they wear.....perhaps they would be happier if they don't care.

The question was posed as to what I wear.

I have a r80gs

My closet consists of the following garbs

Aerostich Darian, with pants, Roadcrafter top, some Joe rocket textiles top and bottoms, one JR mesh, a Vanese Leather/textile, and an Olympia three season. Gloves range from Olympia gauntlets, Gerbing Gauntlets, and Aerostich Ropers. Boots vary between the Aerostich Combats or Sidi breathables.

Helmet is an XD3 or a Nolan 102N

How I'm riding determines what I wear. I've worn sneakers and shorts to go up the road...to the full power ranger outfit for day long rides. More or less determined upon temp.

I don't pretend to be right, nor do I know what right is...anyone who does is a damn liar. There are as many stereotypes as there are bikes and riders.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #185
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How so? You *can* make judgment calls about others, but I find it to be a rather pointless endeavour, and don't think it appropriate. Why should I focus on the negative aspects of everything, rather than just realise that not everyone thinks, feels, or believes the same as myself, and let it go?

Also, I did say that you cannot make a judgement call *for* others. There is a difference in the meaning of the sentence if you replace the original word I used (for) and the word you used in your response (about).

I'm genuinely curious where you are going with your comment, before I get all argumentative with you over it...

Whether another rider wears this, or that, or does this, or that, makes no difference to *me* personally. I'm content to continue with my life, and let them continue with theirs.

Yeah, I make jokes about Harley riders (in good humour of course) although, I have been on a Harley once, and, gasp, enjoyed it, but I don't choose to own one. It simply doesn't provide the thrill of a sport bike, in my opinion. If someone else wants to own, one, hey - why should I make a judgement call about them, as a person?

I'd rather live by the motto "to each his own" than to live life being known as a judgemental individual that no one can stand to be around.
I didn't say anything negative about anyone. I couldn't care less what you wear. Read what I wrote.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #186
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
I don't think you can safely make a judgment call about all riders that don't wear gear, or all riders that wear gear.

I figure, rightly or wrongly, that I wear the gear to avoid relatively simple stuff like road rash, should I go down.

While it is easy to have a condescending attitude towards those riders that don't wear gear, it is important to keep in mind that they are making their own choices.
Hi D,
Couple of points worth picking up, and please take this in the good spirit of discussion intended.

I believe I'm perfectly within my rights to make a judgement regarding the appropriateness or otherwise of what others are wearing. I'll always think someone not wearing a helmet or wearing shorts and t-shirt is foolish for example. He probably thinks I'm a dork for wearing all that gear on a hot day, and that he's right as well. I'm not being condescending, we critique all manner of things against our own ideas and values everyday. The appropriateness of how we go about sharing (or not) our thoughts (on any subject) is really quite a different matter.

Regarding "personal choices", are they really making an individual choice, or going with the crowd, wanting to fit in, in effect 'group think'? We're all guilt of it to various degrees.

However, the main point in your post that caught my eye was describing road rash as "relatively simple stuff". This is so far from accurate. Someone may be lucky to get away with minor road rash, but for some it can result in months in hospital, great expense, and a lifetime of major disfigurement and disability. No one should be under any misconception just how seriously you can be injured by road rash. I have a good friend who remind me of this every time I see him, a result of 'simple' road rash 20 year ago.

John
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #187
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Goddam Harley riders fuck it up for everyone.

Question: I think there something significant wrong in that photo..... what do you think it is?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #188
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I'm not going to waste my time reading 13 pages of up tight, know it alls, spouting off all of the usual H-D pirate stereotype nonsense, and simply ask the following; and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Why do so many people on this forum get so concerned over what other people ride/wear/do, and make it their lifes mission to impose their will on the rest of the riding population?

Full disclosure. I ride both a Harley, and a BMW(or anything on two wheels I can get my hands on, for that matter), and am a firm believer in wearing protective gear. In fact, I am likely typing this, thanks to my full face helmet. That being said, I couldn't give a flying fuck what other riders want to wear, or ride. They can ride a Ruckus while wearing a clown suit for all I care. Jeezus people, lighten up.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #189
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
I'm not going to waste my time reading 13 pages of up tight, know it alls, spouting off all of the usual H-D pirate stereotype nonsense, and simply ask the following; and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Why do so many people on this forum get so concerned over what other people ride/wear/do, and make it their lifes mission to impose their will on the rest of the riding population?

Full disclosure. I ride both a Harley, and a BMW(or anything on two wheels I can get my hands on, for that matter), and am a firm believer in wearing protective gear. In fact, I am likely typing this, thanks to my full face helmet. That being said, I couldn't give a flying fuck what other riders want to wear, or ride. They can ride a Ruckus while wearing a clown suit for all I care. Jeezus people, lighten up.

Jeff
^^^me too
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #190
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Jeff
You've not read the posts but decided those discussing various ideas are "up tight, know it alls, spouting off all of the usual H-D pirate stereotype nonsense" You have a bit of a rant, then ask us to "lighten up"

Can you see the irony?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #191
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:

Jeff
You are not going to waste your time reading what everyone wrote then you are going to bitch about what you THINK everyone wrote. Classic. You can't make this stuff up.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #192
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
I got out of riding for a few years including the lifestyle, attitudes and cliques. The one thing I learned was that every group or Clique is laughable. You have the guys all dressed up in so much safety gear that they look like the little brother on Xmas story. Then you have the guys wearing all the branded clothes on the new BMW or KTM that they will probably get bored with. Then there are the cruiser rider "pirates" as folks like to call them.

I still say really, the aerostich onesies look a lot more foolish than ANY leather getup. If however if little billy or Joey wants to get dressed up to play motorcycle....all the power to them.
Hey, I dun resemble that remark!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #193
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Hey, I dun resemble that remark!
Fail. That's an Aerostitch Twosie.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #194
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Fail. That's an Aerostitch Twosie.
It's OK, it's got mud on it. He's cool.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #195
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,563
Quote:

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
You've not read the posts but decided those discussing various ideas are "up tight, know it alls, spouting off all of the usual H-D pirate stereotype nonsense" You have a bit of a rant, then ask us to "lighten up"

Can you see the irony?
John C has a point. If you haven't read it, you are as guilty of the stereotyping and being judgmental as the ones you are complaining about.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote