Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #196
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
I don't believe that gear is going to save me from getting injured or killed. Good equipment will certainly help protect me from more simple injuries, but realistically I'm doing something dangerous riding a bike to begin with, so isn't it a little hypocritical of me to think less of someone else just because they aren't geared up quite as much as I am?
It's all good discussion and why do we do it? Well in my case its no more than simply entertaining myself discussing ideas with people of a like interest. No more than that.

Back to the topic.... while good gear is no guarantee, it is indisputable that it will significantly reduce the chance of you getting injured, the nature of your injuries, or killed. If anyone wants to dispute that FACT, I'm all ears.

I only picked up the point about 'simple' road rash because it has been mentioned before, and the number of people who seem to believe normal jeans will provide some protection. The reality is its near impossible to slide down the road without your lower body sharing the full force of the slide. It's only a matter of whether its your hip, knees, or arse. The only alternative is your tumbling end over end and that's not a preferred outcome. What's the most common place you see MotoGP riders leathers torn after a big slide, their arse.

I've already touch on what a major, even life threatening injury, severe road rash can be.

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 09:36 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #197
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
We can certainly make judgment calls about others.
Sure, but it's a very bad decision to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Regarding "personal choices", are they really making an individual choice, or going with the crowd, wanting to fit in, in effect 'group think'? We're all guilt of it to various degrees.
I always consider it quite disrespectful when one states that another one doesn't make personal choices but only follows the crowd - may the decision be to wear gear or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
realistically I'm doing something dangerous riding a bike to begin with, so isn't it a little hypocritical of me to think less of someone else just because they aren't geared up quite as much as I am? Point being, isn't it a little ironic that you can have two people, that will throw their leg over a two-wheeled, motorised device and travel routinely at speeds of well over 75 miles per hour, but one of them deems himself as "safe" and the other as "unsafe"? Taking a step back, and looking at it logically, they're both taking risks that are completely avoidable. Now, I happen to view it as my life, and if I want to take that risk, it's my decision. If I don't want someone else coming along and telling me what I can or cannot do, I shouldn't do that to others.
VERY true. I have often been surprised by how hypocritical people are in this kind of discussion - no matter if it's about gear or speed or riding style.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #198
rwahl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Question: I think there something significant wrong in that photo..... what do you think it is?
Bent license plate?
rwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #199
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

The number plate will certainly get you a $110 ticket in my part of the world, but it wasn't what I was thinking...... A clue, it is on the well proportioned side, but (or should that be butt)?

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 04:12 AM
Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #200
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

OK,
I reckon the bike looks like a 2007 R6. Here's a picture of what one should look like. Couldn't find one with a rider in a straight line, but what difference does that make, 30mm? And being the first to admit to being guilty of taking the thread completely of topic, I've deliberately selected a picture to come back to the point that increasing your visibility on the road doesn't need to mean dorky.

Set it of with a matching color helmet, and even with black leathers you going to both stand out, and IMO look pretty cool (if your into sports bikes).

Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #201
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
You are not going to waste your time reading what everyone wrote then you are going to bitch about what you THINK everyone wrote. Classic. You can't make this stuff up.
So, the previous 13 pages aren't peppered with words like "pirate", "bad ass", "lifestyle", blah,blah,blah? My guess is, they are. If not, my apologies. Every thread on this forum, that has anything to do with H-D, ends up there, and I doubt that this one will be any different.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #202
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
So, the previous 13 pages aren't peppered with words like "pirate", "bad ass", "lifestyle", blah,blah,blah? My guess is, they are. If not, my apologies. Every thread on this forum, that has anything to do with H-D, ends up there, and I doubt that this one will be any different.

Jeff
I read it. It is just as you described. Additionally, there is no differentiation between metric and HD. All cruiser riders are HD pirates.

Also, any thread with JimmyVonBaden posting is guaranteed to be an HD bashing thread.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #203
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
bullshit
No reason to lie about it. I like all bikes and most riders. I was wearing my armored jacket, full helmet, gloves, boots, ect. They were drinking. You get the picture. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #204
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
You've not read the posts but decided those discussing various ideas are "up tight, know it alls, spouting off all of the usual H-D pirate stereotype nonsense" You have a bit of a rant, then ask us to "lighten up"

Can you see the irony?
Amazing how spot on he was though isn't it...

Hell I'd consider him psychic if it wasn't for the fact we all knew from the start who'd be posting and where this would eventually lead.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #205
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
if you wont to fit in on a harley then dress like a member of the village poeple then you will look the part even if you will be fucked if you slid down the road when your HD bottoms out.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike

orangebear screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 08:32 AM
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #206
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
if you wont to fit in on a harley then dress like a meamber of the vilage poeple you look the part even if you will be fucked if you slid down the road when your HD bottoms out.
^^^^^^
On the other hand, if you just want to post to prove how illiterate you are...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #207
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
if you wont to fit in on a harley then dress like a member of the village poeple then you will look the part even if you will be fucked if you slid down the road when your HD bottoms out.
Scotland, huh...I thought y'all spoke english?
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #208
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 641
I guess the cruiser guys didn't actually read my posts. I'm an equal opportunity shit flinger, I could care less if a rider looks like a pirate or a power ranger as long as they ride with no attitude I am good with them.

Several years not riding does that to a guy.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #209
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I live in AZ, most of us ride damn near year round.

My question is; "Why do most Harley riders not wear at least minimal protective gear?"

Thanks to anyone willing to respond. 390
I live in AZ too and I agree that most HD riders around here and for what I've seen everywhere are not to concerned about safety gear. With that said it's not all of us I wear a modular and a full face helmet, proper riding boots (not construction boots), gloves and over pants.

Not wearing a helmet is my biggest pet peeve, just in the last two years I know two riders who died. Neither wore a helmet and both suffered from traumatic brain injuries that resulted in death.

I guess I must look a little odd to a lot of HD riders with all my gear and their attitude towards me reflects that some times; I guess owning a HD is not enough I have to dress the part too.

I told my new girlfriend that my friends will know she dating me. why? Because when we ride she's wearing First Gear jacket and over pants, she wears a full face helmet, gloves and has proper riding boots. I guess I'm still a rebel
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #210
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I read it. It is just as you described. Additionally, there is no differentiation between metric and HD. All cruiser riders are HD pirates.

Also, any thread with JimmyVonBaden posting is guaranteed to be an HD bashing thread.
Wow, you really do have your head up your ass. I defy you to quote ONE post where I bash HD riders or bikes?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote