Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #211
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
It'd be interesting to know what's different between NZ and Europe. Here there is no evidence of color effecting crashes ...
Source? I learned the opposite (also no source though - but at least it goes with common sense)

One thing many seem to forget is that safety gear does not only help in the case of a crash, but it also protects from heat, rain, bugs and cold. To a degree it brings the bike closer to a cage, true, but that degree is rather small. It is a big difference to for example seat belts that serve (almost) no purpose than crash protection.

Whether this added gear (with its comfort and perceived safety margin) increases risky behavior enough to offset its benefits is debatable at best. The same discussion is going on with ski helmets (where it is actually less an issue because most skiers are more reigned in by their worry about broken bones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
I don't think you can safely make a judgment call about all riders that don't wear gear, or all riders that wear gear.
Yes you can. Let me take it to an extreme for the sake of an argument: If someone is playing Russian roulette, with only one chamber empty, then I can make a judgment call and say that this is dumb. Pretty easily.

Of course riding is different and actually pretty safe, no matter what amount of gear. But you can for example look at statistics, and if there is one huge factor killing people in a crash, try to do something about it. I am thinking of helmets. Other items might not help as much, so more and more you get into the area where you can debate their usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Why do so many people on this forum get so concerned over what other people ride/wear/do, and make it their lifes mission to impose their will on the rest of the riding population?
I think it is more about fighting myths and misconceptions than trying to impose wills on anyone. And trying to understand decisions made by people thinking differently, but I might be mistaken.

Many people in this thread made a point of saying that it is people's own decision, but at least it should be an informed one.

I go a bit further and say that their decision directly and indirectly affects other people, and if they take too much of a risk they are being selfish pricks. Just what is too much of a risk is the discussion of course. But also this decision should be based on statistics and a sound basis (again speaking in favor of helmets - at least for me)
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #212
Bridge Builder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[QUOTE=MacNoob;23148493]Met a guy who's got over a million miles on Harleys. I think he's on something like his 27th Electra Glide?

that may a person in NE GA. Harley gives him his bikes in exchange for feedback on changes. He rides approximately 60K a year. When he goes out with his wife, she follows in the car.........,but I digress from the question of HD riders and gear. I had a Fat Boy for about two months five years ago during a warm season. I rode about 2,000 miles on it before trading for a DS. I loved it after having MANY bikes over 40 years (Brits, Italian, German and lots of metrics) did not have a doo rag or leathers. For some reason I let go of prior reasoning of all that made sense and would typically wear my denim pants, Carhart T's and a modular helmet, oh yah and gloves. And yet I look at riders, any brand, not reasonably protected and wonder what goes on there, don't they realize the risks? That must make me a hypocrite.

I am typically "all the gear most of the time" and at least "most of the gear all the time" although last summer in 95 degree temps I was on a job in SC (no helmet state) and I would ride the two miles from job site to eat out for lunch and ride w/o helmet. I felt like a kid stealing cookies from the cookie jar hoping I would not get caught. I didn't!
Bridge Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #213
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 637
So......how many ATGATT nazis have had the ole in and out without a rubber and no intention of having a little Jonny or Jane?

If you have then your argument is invalid.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #214
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
So......how many ATGATT nazis have had the ole in and out without a rubber and no intention of having a little Jonny or Jane?

I don't know of any guys who have had a little Johnny or Jane. It's always been the gals.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #215
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I'm thinking of joining a Ducati owner’s forum. I hoping the views of the forum won't be stereotypical Ducati owners who look down on my Japanese manufactured bikes as inferior. If they do I'll sling a few obscenities at them telling them they are biased and bigoted and stop insulting me by referring to my bike as a 'rice grinder'.

Based upon my anticipated success on the Ducati owners forum, I then plan to join a HD owners forum and politely explain to them the benefits of wearing hi-viz clothing.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #216
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If the cylinders are in a V configuration and there are 2 of them, then it is a V twin, does not matter who made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Well yeah, but does it sound like a fing hot rod and handle like a pregnant mule?
No. But it is uninspiring, bland and vanilla.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 08:53 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #217
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No. But it is uninspiring, bland and vanilla.
Not to mention slow.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #218
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post

a: I haven't been that careless
b: all protective gear can fail.

but I'm not a nazi, I ride in jeans on occasion depending on how hot I am when running local errands.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #219
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I'm thinking of joining a Ducati owner’s forum. I hoping the views of the forum won't be stereotypical Ducati owners who look down on my Japanese manufactured bikes as inferior. If they do I'll sling a few obscenities at them telling them they are biased and bigoted and stop insulting me by referring to my bike as a 'rice grinder'.

Based upon my anticipated success on the Ducati owners forum, I then plan to join a HD owners forum and politely explain to them the benefits of wearing hi-viz clothing.
Then you could join a BMW owners forum and tell them their final drives don't work.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #220
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
So, the previous 13 pages aren't peppered with words like "pirate", "bad ass", "lifestyle", blah,blah,blah? My guess is, they are. If not, my apologies. Every thread on this forum, that has anything to do with H-D, ends up there, and I doubt that this one will be any different.

Jeff
Read it. Pretty much the wear what you wear if you are willing to pay the consequences croud was the largest. There was some of the lifestyle crap and, let's face it, some stereotypes have their basis in reality, but for the most part you should read the pages before whining.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #221
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Then you could join a BMW owners forum and tell them their final drives don't work.
Or an adv forum.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #222
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I guess I am guilty of using the previously mentioned "fucked up" logic.....I know I push harder when wearing the proper gear, than I do when riding in jeans and a t-shirt.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #223
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Source? I learned the opposite (also no source though - but at least it goes with common sense)
MAIDS report, similar to the HURT report in the US, but newer - and it goes with common sense as well.

Quote:
One thing many seem to forget is that safety gear does not only help in the case of a crash, but it also protects from heat, rain, bugs and cold.
Why do you think so?

Quote:
I go a bit further and say that their decision directly and indirectly affects other people, and if they take too much of a risk they are being selfish pricks.
I'd say the selfish pricks are the ones who want to tell others to radically change their way of life, just because maybe they might be a little little bit indirectly effected.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #224
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I go a bit further and say that their decision directly and indirectly affects other people, and if they take too much of a risk they are being selfish pricks.
People like you are the "selfish pricks" Mind your own and keep your laws off of me and my personal choices.

Quote:
Just what is too much of a risk is the discussion of course. But also this decision should be based on statistics and a sound basis (again speaking in favor of helmets - at least for me)
What is too much...? That is for the individual to decide.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #225
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

One thing many seem to forget is that safety gear does not only help in the case of a crash, but it also protects from heat, rain, bugs and cold.
That is why I wear my (mostly Black) gear. It is there to protect me from the elements. (With the added bonus of impact and abrasion resistance in the event of a get off)

Ride Well Ride Often Ride AWARE.