Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #226
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 753
A question for Harley riders, no disrespect.

To each his own, but I still maintain, that once you have crashed hard enough, you will never ride without protective gear again (be that in any form).
All it takes is for you to look at your completely trashed helmet, and conclude the following: holy shit. That could have been my head, my scalp
Or feel the same about your skin.
Lifestyle, badass, Aerostich, village people, pirate, whatever. I promise you there is no bravado when they are loading you into the helicopter, or you're lying on a table in the ER while there are medical staff scurrying around you yelling the same shit you see on the TV. After all the X-rays, and MRI scans are over, you start to shake and shiver uncontrollably from the adrenaline leaving your body. And then the pain sets in. Your wife is sitting in the next room, worried and thankful you are ok.

At that point, you think to yourself - holy shit, I am thankful I wore my gear today. Then the ER staff tells you the same thing. And if you think that you are such a good rider, and you've had x years of experience, and it can never happen to you, you are wrong. Just because you read proficient motorcycling, and grew up riding dirt bikes, and did a bunch of track days, and you critique everyone else on YouTube who crashes, blah blah blah, does not guarantee anything.

Wear what you like. But, put yourself through that scenario before you decide what to do. It happened to me. Riding a cruiser doesn't somehow isolate you from the possibly. Neither does a BMW or any other bike for that matter.
If your freedoms and rights, and your philosophical beliefs are worth more to you than your health, I can also promise you that during your trip through the ER, none of that shit matters anymore. You are reduced to the pain, and surviving. Two of the most basic human elements. And while your family is next to you, they don't care about your beliefs either in that moment.

I'm glad I had all my expensive gear on that day.

Ride on.

steelerider screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 10:11 AM
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #227
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
To each his own, but I still maintain, that once you have crashed hard enough, you will never ride without protective gear again (be that in any form).
All it takes is for you to look at your completely trashed helmet
How hard is "hard enough"? Deep scars in the helmet at the height of the temple obviously aren't.

Quote:
At that point, you think to yourself - holy shit, I am thankful I wore my gear today. Then the ER staff tells you the same thing.
Or you curse it, because it saved you from death but left you without being able to move your body.

Quote:
If your freedoms and rights, and your philosophical beliefs are worth more to you than your health, I can also promise you that during your trip through the ER, none of that shit matters anymore.
You can promise nothing.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #228
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
But then there is the flip-side, specifically, the horrible pain and suffering the rider will experience as they watch the EMT's cut that $1000 worth of gear to shreds.

Hmmm, maybe that's why some folks won't consider wearing the gear ...

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #229
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
There is one guarantee in regards to gear,.......................

.............If you're not wearing it, it won't help you.

Anybody who thinks gear will make riding safe is a fool. anybody who thinks gear will make riding more dangerous is an idiot, anybody who thinks gear makes no difference either way is ignorant.

Sharing opinions is kinda the point of internet forums, mocking a stranger at a gas station for them is pathetic.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #230
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
But then there is the flip-side, specifically, the horrible pain and suffering the rider will experience as they watch the EMT's cut that $1000 worth of gear to shreds.

Hmmm, maybe that's why some folks won't consider wearing the gear ...

Lol Tex. You are right. I told the EMT's not to cut my jacket.

Wraith rider. I don't know what planet you are currently residing on.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #231
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
If your freedoms and rights, and your philosophical beliefs are worth more to you than your health, I can also promise you that during your trip through the ER, none of that shit matters anymore.
FAIL!!! You are assuming a trip "through the ER"

Just because YOU crashed, doesn't mean that others will.

I hope you healed fast and well.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #232
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
FAIL!!! You are assuming a trip "through the ER"

Just because YOU crashed, doesn't mean that others will.

I hope you healed fast and well.
And just because you crashed and were injured doesn't mean others will be injured as badly or at all.

Too many variables and too many people trying to preach to others.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #233
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
And just because you crashed and were injured doesn't mean others will be injured as badly or at all.

Too many variables and too many people trying to preach to others.
That is true. Just trying to relate my personal experiences. I believe that one thing is for certain though - the odds of you being injured if you do fall, crash, etc are quite high. This appears to be a statistical fact - of course compared to being in a car.
For me, I'll try to reduce the odds with protective gear.
Otherwise wear whatever you like.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #234
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
That is true. Just trying to relate my personal experiences. I believe that one thing is for certain though - the odds of you being injured if you do fall, crash, etc are quite high. This appears to be a statistical fact - of course compared to being in a car.
For me, I'll try to reduce the odds with protective gear.
Otherwise wear whatever you like.
I'm actually surprised that all the preacher's here don't just give up and drive a car.
Of course, I also think some of them should be wearing water wings in their bathtub too.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #235
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
I'm actually surprised that all the preacher's here don't just give up and drive a car.
Of course, I also think some of them should be wearing water wings in their bathtub too.
I may not practice what they preach, but their logical arguments for gear make a hell of a lot more sense than the emotional arguments against it on an individual basis.

My choice to not ride ATGATT is not based on denial, and I make no excuses other than its my choice.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #236
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Wow, you really do have your head up your ass. I defy you to quote ONE post where I bash HD riders or bikes?

Jim
Calm yourself, Chubby. You can't honestly say you don't have a disdain for HD and their riders.

El Pescador screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 05:35 PM
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #237
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Definition of "preach": to express a strong opinion and try to persuade other people to accept it - Macmillian Dictionary
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #238
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Definition of "preach": to express a strong opinion and try to persuade other people to accept it - Macmillian Dictionary
I haven't actually seen anyone trying to persuade others to accept an opinion about wearing more gear. No veiled comments threatening another's ego or implications of wussification. Cars? Water wings?

But I do find it amusing how those who make an informed choice to avoid wearing gear are often among those most adamant about others adopting their beliefs, with little in the way of justification, other than style and perceived comfort. (I've tried it both ways and I can ride farther, more comfortably in gear than not)

These are the folks I read most often speaking defensively. I think a few really struggle between maintaining their delicate machismo and fortifying their denial, while desperately wanting to convert wearers of gear to their camp so they might feel better about their choice. As if physics somehow allows for safety in numbers.

Maybe it is just me that gets this vibe. I wish them well. I can fully appreciate and support their choice, but can't quite follow the justification to persuade someone else who wears gear by these ego-driven arguments that are contrary to published data stating the clear benefit.

To each their own. I'm okay being the wuss without major head trauma or my skin peeled off by asphalt should I find myself unexpectedly taking a dive. I'm more comfortable on the bike without my skin exposed increasing dehydration, exposure to sunburn, and the occasional junebug at highway speeds.

If the price of machismo is better chances for death and disfigurement, along with extra helpings of pain and suffering I'll gladly hand in my man card if those are the club rules.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 07:04 PM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #239
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,021
Visit Sicily in the summer. Even GS riders (there are tons btw) wear less gear than the average HD rider stateside.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #240
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
Calm yourself, Chubby. You can't honestly say you don't have a disdain for HD and their riders.
I can, and I can honestly say you are an for making accusations with no basis! Thanks for proving me right!

You are nothing but a troll trying to fit in with the adults.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote