ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #271
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Oh quit yer bitchin'. Can't ya take a little ribbing?

Typos do not require arithmetic.
Iffin it were ribbin, I would be fine with it!

Math, on the other hand, is serious business!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #272
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I live in AZ, most of us ride damn near year round. I ride a 25 yo K75. I like bikes, though I've never owned a Harley. My question is this: Probably 90% or perhaps a bit more of Harley riders I see wear no protective gear whatsoever, well, sun glasses excluded. A few wear chaps or a leather vest. Very few a helmet and even then it's the kind that provides the least protection possible. Now, I realize I'm speaking a bit from ignorance, never having owned a Harley; but they, at least the larger ones, don't seem to handle all that well (although I did see a youtube vid of a police officer on a Harley who was the most amazing rider in the police competitions I've ever seen, but I'm assuming he was the exception).

My question is; "Why do most Harley riders not wear at least minimal protective gear?"

AGAIN: I'm not trying to "bash" "criticize" "demean", just understand.

Thanks to anyone willing to respond. 390
well I try to be atgatt
but sometimes I fail.
got a couple of tractors/hd
they go slow like a tractor
so I feel safe not atgatt.
now this is silly as I'm still
going quick enough to get hurt.
I just like bikes/ all sorts.
so I will be atgatt.
its like riding a bike in asia.
you wear shorts, flip flops etc.
as its hot and your going slow.
now that's silly too.
anybody who has developed
a tropical ulcer from gravel rash
reef cuts etc.
know its terrible.
its not always peer pressure
laziness/perceived safety
just my feelings.
now I got bashed on a coral
reef in august.
leg is still pretty sore.
cheers

atgatt is always better.
what ever you do.
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #273
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
How's about Sarah Palin on a Harley that has a car tire on it?
She's smarter than that.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #274
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
She's smarter than that.
I'd hit it.
don't care about her smarts
lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #275
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 954
I've owned Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, BMWs, and Harleys. I've worn jeans and t-shirts on all of them. I've ridden helmet-less on all of them. I've ridden in astronaut-gear on all of them. Bikes with fairings; whether they're 'Wings, R12RTs, or Ultras, don't flow air like a naked bike. Ride behind a fairing in high heat and you cook.

Yes, you can absolutely be cooler in full gear than jeans and a t-shirt. But it's also a royal pain in the ass putting all that stuff on when you're riding a few miles.

I choose to wear a helmet when I ride. More often than not, that helmet is a full-face. I choose to wear a jacket more often than not when I ride. It makes it easier to carry stuff and it generally is more comfortable with than without. I won't ever feel bad about riding without one though.

On a road trip, I wear full gear. It makes packing easier, and there's never any worry about changing weather. If I'm running out to dinner I'll wear casual clothes.

The only gear I never ride without is gloves and boots.
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2014 K1600GTL
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #276
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I think you're getting very close to the heart of this matter. Personally I think most riders Harley or not, are not really making individual informed personal decisions. I believe most are principally driven by a desire to fit in with their crowd. If most Harley riders in your area don't wear helmets (just an example) do I want to look like a dork being the only one?

I only had to mention improving your visability to avoid an accident in the first place and someone was asking for evidence of the effectiveness of hi-viz clothing. I didn't even mention the word. Why don't people really say what the problem is, they'll feel like a dork if they have to wear something looking like an industrial safety vest. So would I.

If everyone wore bright coloured leather race suites, then guess what every new rider will wear? It takes a true individual to make an informed decision based upon what's best for them, not what others think.

P.S. Yes my textile road jacket is 100% chicken coloured yellow. When you're my age you don't give a rats what anyone else thinks. But even I let it stay a little grubby looking which that colour does quickly from road grime so I don't look like a beginner. I'd be the first to admit I wouldn't have worn it when I was young, because I would have been driven by what other people thought.
You know? I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #277
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
PSA

Take caution to avoid getting sucked into Wraith Riders' web of ridiculousness.

There is a reason you will see posts of his often go unanswered. He lives on another planet and will make the most absurd arguments conceivable. It is undetermined whether he is baiting or is really just completely out of touch. Also, his tenuous grasp of English seems to complicate things yet further, as you have pointed out.

The "Ignore" feature, found under the "User Lists" drop-menu in his public profile seems to be the most popular method of achieving this end.
Yep, Moto; I'm with you on that one!
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #278
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I live in AZ too and I agree that most HD riders around here and for what I've seen everywhere are not to concerned about safety gear. With that said it's not all of us I wear a modular and a full face helmet, proper riding boots (not construction boots), gloves and over pants.

Not wearing a helmet is my biggest pet peeve, just in the last two years I know two riders who died. Neither wore a helmet and both suffered from traumatic brain injuries that resulted in death.

I guess I must look a little odd to a lot of HD riders with all my gear and their attitude towards me reflects that some times; I guess owning a HD is not enough I have to dress the part too.

I told my new girlfriend that my friends will know she dating me. why? Because when we ride she's wearing First Gear jacket and over pants, she wears a full face helmet, gloves and has proper riding boots. I guess I'm still a rebel
From my experience; yes, you are a rebel. But keep doin' whatyr'e doin! Maybe we should ride together?
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #279
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
"BIKERS" wear Denim and leather and are minimalists.

"Riders" Wear Riding Gear. Some all of it others some of it.

Most Cruiser Riders are (or want to be) "BIKERS"

It really is that simple.
Dakez, you seem to have a "way" of cutting to the crux of the matter; but it's always your "crux" LOL. PS Are you ever going to respond to the post about "The gift of Fear"?
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #280
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I'm actually surprised that all the preacher's here don't just give up and drive a car.
Of course, I also think some of them should be wearing water wings in their bathtub too.
Hey Boy!, You need to get a more respectful mouth on you! (for those of us wh need to wear water wings in the tub)
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #281
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
Visit Sicily in the summer. Even GS riders (there are tons btw) wear less gear than the average HD rider stateside.
So?...I don't get the point?
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #282
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer
 
woodnbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Western Slope (By God!) of Colorado
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
So?...I don't get the point?
They have socialized medical care???
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #283
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
So?...I don't get the point?
I could mount an agrument that the Sicily comment is further evidence of peer pressure being the main thing that dictates behaviour. If these same people would wear ATGATT at home, why would they suddenly change when they get to a holiday destination? They do it, because everyone else is doing it.

Being hotter than home as a reason isn't going to fly.........
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #284
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I could mount an agrument that the Sicily comment is further evidence of peer pressure being the main thing that dictates behaviour. If these same people would wear ATGATT at home, why would they suddenly change when they get to a holiday destination? .
If your argument is in fact true then I will mount an argument that peer pressure is the reason that some wear ATGATT. If they really are concerned about safety why would they ride sans gear when they get to a holiday destination?
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #285
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
If your argument is in fact true then I will mount an argument that peer pressure is the reason that some wear ATGATT. If they really are concerned about safety why would they ride sans gear when they get to a holiday destination?
Then I would say you're understood my point, and were 100% in agreement. The desire to fit in with our peers is the most powerful influence on our behaviour. Some adopt positive practices to fit in with their chosen group (ATGATT), and some adopt negative practices (wearing little protective gear).

None of us like to admit the level that others influence us, so we kid ourselves that we have made an 'individual decision'. Show me a person who really truely doesn't give a dam what others think, and I'll show you a narcisist.

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 06:37 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014