Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #1501
Flyingavanti OP
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by aatc9988
I have followed your journey from post 1 and whenever I waffle, lose interest or get overwhelmed with the logisitics of such a trip I get inspiration from your fantastic travelog any great photos..............

One question? Why did you choose the airhead and would you take the same bike again.
Regarding the first sentence above..... It is a two way street. When we get tired and run down, it is the motivation from this web site which gives us drive to continue. You do get tired.... then somebody here reminds us how lucky we are, and that revitalizes the mind to get up and enjoy the day, week and month!

Regarding the airhead..... YES I WOULD! and with a few small changes. GET THE PARIS/DAKAR LARGE TANK. And a stonger subframe. We have had welding performed 4 times on the bike. Jesse rack twice. Subframe once. Side kick stand once. I think most of it is my fault because I was not easy enough on the bike in Peru and Ecuador (had too much fun and did not worry enough about the distance).

The other reason for the airhead, is it is a bike I can afford to lose or abandon, if needed.

It would be tough to trash the KTM 950.......

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #1502
bb5999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Dale and Sandy, welcome to brazil!

Wow------Wow! What a fantastic journey you two are on! I have spent a couple of days in front of the laptop, reading, studying, ENJOYING, following your travels. Amazing, thank you for sharing.

I am an American, So. CAL native, living in the interior of Sao Paulo state now for about two years.

We are in Bernardino de Campos, a small town east of Ourinhos, SP, about 300km west of the city of Sao Paulo.

My wife is a local who spent better than 10 years in the states, now it is Brazil's turn. We are spending several years raising me and our two kids here in sugarcane country.

If you guys need anything please touch base. We would love to have you visit, stop by, stay for awhile, whatever.

Only conflict will be next week, early April, 4th - 12th we will be vacationing on the coast, other than that you have a refuge here in Sao Paulo state. Heck, you have a refuge regardless. Depending upon your trip and route planning maybe we could meet up at the beach???

Please PM me and I will give you my cell and home numbers. At a minimum I am sure my wife, Silvia, and I can answer general Brazil questions and maybe offer some interesting adventures!

HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, THANKS FOR SHARING!

Abracos! Eric

-cake

Gringo in Reno, NV
bb5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #1503
BearII
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
Dale & Sandy,

As many of said allow me to add my thanks for sharing with us!! I found your thread seveal weeks ago and have been reading it whenever I can squeeze in a few moments. I've finally caught up! I'm so glad to see that Sandy is doing well and has rejoined the trip.

I love your stories, the pictures, the ingenious approach to your "then and now" pics and your great sense of humor and adventure. Keep it all coming! It is an inspiration for me to plan my own RTW. I'm just trying to get the missus as excited and your thread will help!

I have spent several weeks in SA over the years. I loved Iguaçu Falls as well. My first time looked much like your visit. However, my second time was during flood season and it was even more awe inspiring. We couldn't cross many of the bridges on the Brazil side. The walkway from the Argentine side that allows you to look down into Devil's Throat was completely covered with rushing water. If I remember rights the base of lighthouse was flooded too. It seemed that the very ground was rumbling during that visit!

I'm curious, did you take a picture of the plaque along the walkway on the Argentine side? If so could you post it? If I remember right it was a very appropriate verse from the Bible but I can't remember it now.

Best of luck as you continue, we'll be anxiously awaiting each update!!

Cheers,
Dave

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #1504
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Hey, Sandy's back in town, Sandy's back in town. I bet seeing all those fantastic places is more fun whenyou can share it with the one you started this adventure with.

Afford to lose or abandon. I sure hope that doesn't happen. I was concerned you might just have to do that when you guys had to come back and leave it there. Just think when you're an old man you can looked at that bike and remember the fantastic adventure you guys took. Remember, a motorcycle is worth a million pictures.

It's look pretty steamy down there, is Sandy adjusting to it OK?
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #1505
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Thumb

Regarding the airhead..... YES I WOULD! and with a few small changes. GET THE PARIS/DAKAR LARGE TANK. And a stonger subframe. We have had welding performed 4 times on the bike. Jesse rack twice. Subframe once. Side kick stand once. I think most of it is my fault because I was not easy enough on the bike in Peru and Ecuador (had too much fun and did not worry enough about the distance).

HC! I woulder how my 95' Sportster will do down there with my custom pannier rack.

This is great stuff, I'm loving it.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #1506
Redhead on the Back
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 6
I am BAAAAACK....

But you guys already knew that! We spent the last week at Iguazu Falls and rode into Brazil today, through rolling green hills. IT IS DIFFERENT HERE! It was hard to leave Argentina and the friends who we spent time with..... But I am sure Brazil will be FUN!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #1507
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead on the Back
I am BAAAAACK....

But you guys already knew that! We spent the last week at Iguazu Falls and rode into Brazil today, through rolling green hills. IT IS DIFFERENT HERE! It was hard to leave Argentina and the friends who we spent time with..... But I am sure Brazil will be FUN!
Welcome back, we all missed you
Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #1508
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper
Welcome back, we all missed you
Ed

+1, all of us missed you! Dale is a better guy with you in the rear seat

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #1509
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead on the Back
I am BAAAAACK....

Hi Sandy
Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #1510
claudio17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Welcome back redhead!
claudio17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #1511
LoneWolf-IT
fantasy traveller

Oddometer: 27
Welcome back redhead! Have a very nice tip
Old 03-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #1512
boulderbean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Two up

Dale, glad to see that your are 2 up on a R100GS again. I know that I prefer to travel in the 2 up mode.
Also glad to see you were able to spend some time in Rosario, Salta and at Cataratas del Iguazú. We also took the boat trip and enjoyed getting soaked. While on the Brazil side we took a helicopter trip over the falls, you can really get an idea of how much is there that way.
Good luck and great job on keeping us all up to date.
bruce
boulderbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #1513
Flyingavanti OP
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
WOW
Is all I have to say about our first two days in Brazil. We are now in Porto Algre. The ride through the 500 miles of Brazil was a total surprise. Sandy and I were smiling the entire way. Rolling farm lands, then beautiful green mountains for the last 100 miles. Will try and get caught up on the pictures here......

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #1514
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Hey Dale, I saw Iguaçu Falls in an Imax film and it was breathtaking on video, I can't imagine what it looks like in person. We were all wondering what the sections of bridge were that led down there, now I know! Man, would I ever love to see that in person.

Ride on sir! All the best to you two!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #1515
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingavanti
WOW

Is all I have to say about our first two days in Brazil. We are now in Porto Algre. The ride through the 500 miles of Brazil was a total surprise. Sandy and I were smiling the entire way. Rolling farm lands, then beautiful green mountains for the last 100 miles. Will try and get caught up on the pictures here......
I'm glad you two are back together again. We were getting tired of seeing just your mug in all the pictures!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote