User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #46
Flyingavanti OP
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Yes, Quito even has a Harley dealer.

I know that there is a Harley plant in Brazil, but all the Harleys sold in Quito are from the United States. The interior of this dealer was on par with the nicer dealers at home.

They also sold Ducati's.

They had a 999 Grand Prix model (for $34.999 US).

Marketing photo inside dealer. Very upscale.

During our walk, we stumbled on a Shopping Mall (hey guys, I am without wheels, and remember, I am trying to show ALL sides of Quito. I know what you guys are thinking. Here is a guy in Ecuador, and he is in a shopping mall! Shame on me. I need a bike fix soon...........

This was a Nordstrom's type store, with Nordstrom like prices.
The entire shopping center was on par with the nicest malls in Orange County, California.

This was the food court, in the mall, which was MUCH cleaner than ANY mall in Southern California. The people are orderly and clean, and pickup after themselves. They do not expect others to pick up after themselves. Again, please remember the reason I am posting these pictures is to show the other side of the country. Not just the view that you expect. I was certainly surprised. I am not expecting you to think some pictures of a mall are interesting.

Incidentally, we are still traveling by busses and taxis. There is NO graffiti or etchings in any windows (like busses and telephone booths) that is now common in Southern California.

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #47
Flyingavanti OP

Today we rode on a tram, to the top of the mountain directly West of Quito. The top of the tram is almost 14,000 feet.

The tram climbs from about 10,000 to 14,000 feet. Although the picture does not show it, the climb is nearly vertical.

The view of Quito, on the ride up.

View of Quito from the top.

This is the view, in the other direction. Notice the hillside farming. Even though we are only 14 miles South of the equator, it is COLD at this altitude.

Ultra modern food court at the bottom of the tram.

Fondue Bars, Argentine Restaurants, Disco's and other facilities at the base of the tram. They are also marketing this tram as a night time destination.

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #48
Flyingavanti OP

There is also an amusement park at the bottom of the tram. Very upscale and clean.

One last picture of Quito on the way down. For perspective, this picture shows about 20% of the city. It is a large city, with a population of 1,800,000 individuals.

In closing, please don't take any of my comments wrong. This trip has just started. The reason I am so enthused, is that I am finding out that South America is very different then I expected, and in a positive way. We spent an hour talking to an Ecuadorian Airline pilot, and he stated that Ecuador has seen a lot of growth and improvements during the last 8 years. That is a good thing. The United States has many positive and negative aspects, as does Ecuador. But the first impression I am getting here in Ecuador is the respect of others, which seems to be disappearing, to some extent, at home.

One last closing comment for the day.... We are in and out of Internet places on a regular basis checking on the status of the bike. There are many Brit's here. Hey Brit's, what's up with the cigarettes?

Just wait until the motorcycle shows up, and I promise dirt roads and jungles. Hopefully soon!

www.Ploung.com
Old 09-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #49
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,849
Dale, I am certain you are familiar with Mark Klett's photography. If not you should look up his book as referance to your project. He rephotographed the south west United States. The originals were from the early 1900's, he rephotographed in the 70's and again in the 2000's. Check it out

Mark Klett Rephotographic Survey

What an excellent trip you are embarking on ....

Que la viya bien!!!
IBA#11791

G.Kennedy screwed with this post 09-07-2005 at 06:46 PM
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #50
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingavanti
One last closing comment for the day.... We are in and out of Internet places on a regular basis checking on the status of the bike. There are many Brit's here. Hey Brit's, what's up with the cigarettes?
Hi Dale and Sandy, I tell ya, there are damn Brits everywhere and a fine looking bunch we are too! Take me and Maddbrit, for example!!

Have an awesome trip and thanks for the updates. One question. How the hell did you pursuade your good wife to ride pillion around the world with you, given the way I have seen you ride that KTM on and off road with her on the back!!
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #51
Joe L
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Trans Alp

Flyingavanti,
Did you by chance see how much the dealer wanted for the new Honda Trans Alp? Also, do you know if it is possible for an American to buy a bike there and sell it after travelling in So. America?
Joe L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #52
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,128
Really nice pics, Dale

But, um...you mentioned topless bars... I think you forgot to post those
Old 09-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #53
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,490
Dale,

This is a great report, beautifully written. Like many others I expect, I am sat at my PC, glass of my favorite poison in hand, and transporting myself to Ecuador courtesy of your wonderful pictures...

I wonder why they have so much more respect for their environment and those those around them? Its so refreshing to see such clean streets and read your stories of the freindly and welcoming locals.

I am soooo jealous!

Thanks for taking us all along for the ride (and hey - if that GS doesnt show - buy that Transalp - they are GREAT motorcycles!)

Old 09-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #54
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Transalps were brought to the US in 89, 90. Dumb ass

Its so good to see Sandy living it up in SA. Glad you guys are finally on your way Wish I was tagg'n along. I cant wait to see what you two get into on the Beemer.

Give Sandy a big hug for me, and take care.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #55
Flyingavanti OP

Got more CRAP from the shipper. Now he is saying that it will ship next Tuesday. In a few days I will be pleading for a ADV Rider in the Pompano Beach area to see if this company actually exist, but for now we are making the best of it. Just finished a Pepper Steak that was nearly 2 inches thick for only $5.90!

Kennedy...... Thanks for the book suggestion - Just ordered my own Christmas Present.

Ed............ The Brits are so good looking, I was attempting to get the wife away from the British competition, but did not realize that they all over this globe. I thought the Spanish taught the Brits to stay on their island.

Joe........ I believe that the TransAlp was about $10,800. We did run across a 2005 TDM 900 Yamaha, which was $10,200. Seems like an attractive bike at an attractive price. Maybe not quite as dirt oriented as the airhead. I believe, in the United States, Pannier and things like that may be tough to find, but that may not be the case around the world. I have heard good things about the Genesis engine (5 valves?).

Dave.....(Richard Cabesa) You would be the one to ask about topless bars, as you come from a Topless Bar WASTE LAND! Am I correct that your total topless opportunities exist in ONE Spearmint Rhino. By the way, I have contacted Garmin regarding the 276c, and a problem with the thing. You can perform searches for restaurants, hotels, gas stations, amusement parks, hospitals and other types of locations, BUT there is no search category for Gentlemans Clubs. I did submit the request in your name. Hope you do not mind. Santa Barbara is great in every other aspect. Maybe, when I return we can do another dual sport ride.....

Maddbrit... If another week goes by, the temptation to buy another bike will be tough to subdue.

Adios from the Equator..............

www.Ploung.com
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #56
Flyingavanti OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
Transalps were brought to the US in 89, 90. Dumb ass

Its so good to see Sandy living it up in SA. Glad you guys are finally on your way Wish I was tagg'n along. I cant wait to see what you two get into on the Beemer.

Give Sandy a big hug for me, and take care.
Sandy and I were just talking about you and your Utah crew. We REALLY enjoyed the time in Death Valley. Please do not get burned out on motorcycles during the next 18 months, as Sandy and I would really like to hook up again for another ride (Colorado, Baja or Alaska). Have you been contacted yet about the golf cart you STOLE! Please say hello to Chad.........

www.Ploung.com
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #57
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,128
Quote:

Dave.....(Richard Cabesa) You would be the one to ask about topless bars, as you come from a Topless Bar WASTE LAND! Am I correct that your total topless opportunities exist in ONE Spearmint Rhino. By the way, I have contacted Garmin regarding the 276c, and a problem with the thing. You can perform searches for restaurants, hotels, gas stations, amusement parks, hospitals and other types of locations, BUT there is no search category for Gentlemans Clubs. I did submit the request in your name. Hope you do not mind. Santa Barbara is great in every other aspect. Maybe, when I return we can do another dual sport ride.....

Adios from the Equator..............
You are correct, Sir
Old 09-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #58
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 681
Congratulations on beginning what I'm sure will be an unforgetable time— and the ride of your lives.

I'm sure your bike will arrive... in due time. Given that you have planned five to six years on the road ahead of you, what's another week or two waiting for a lost bike?

Keep the faith, you two.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #59
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Have you been contacted yet about the golf cart you STOLE!
BORROWED! and for all the big brothers out there, it was returned w/ only a little bit of mud on it

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:29 AM   #60
Pete Rock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
what a great and interesting trip, please keep it up and have fun.

Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote