Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #166
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I bought mine last year sometime, probably first half of year. I checked email and it was May.
At that time you probably got the earlier flatter model. The new has a lip that extends out about 1/2" all the way across the bottom. The old has one small tab directly at the tip/front of where the shield meets the top of the chin bar.

Here are images of the new shield.

Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #167
South fork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I bought an LS2 MX453 from Atomic Moto several weeks ago (thanks for the help Brian). I am totally satisfied with the helmet. First impression out of the box was "wow this is nice". Shield closes all of the way around the goggle strap.

Just get it, you will not be disappointed.
South fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #168
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,457
Hey Phil, I've looked around but haven't seemed to find a pinlock shield for many LS2 helmets. Specifically for me the MX453. How about suggesting it to corporate for us?

Thanks.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #169
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Hey Phil, I've looked around but haven't seemed to find a pinlock shield for many LS2 helmets. Specifically for me the MX453. How about suggesting it to corporate for us?

Thanks.
I'm heading to the factory in 10 days and will do that. FYI, the latest shield is an LS2 FogFighter treated lens and works pretty well.

Thanks!
Phil
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #170
Shunka
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
I'm heading to the factory in 10 days and will do that. FYI, the latest shield is an LS2 FogFighter treated lens and works pretty well.

Thanks!
Phil
Thanks and that's good to know! More looking for a tinted insert than for fogging. Not a fan of tinted visors and sun glasses can just be a pain sometimes.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #171
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
At that time you probably got the earlier flatter model. The new has a lip that extends out about 1/2" all the way across the bottom. The old has one small tab directly at the tip/front of where the shield meets the top of the chin bar.

Here are images of the new shield.

Do these new shields have the anti fog coating?
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #172
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 203
So, finally got a chance to put some miles on the new MX456. I'm simply stunned at how good this helmet is for the money - or any price for that matter. I am fortunate enough to have way more helmets than I do heads, so I bounce around a bit looking for the ideal fit. I'm what you might call a "Shoei head." I can pick up just about any Shoei helmet in Large and it fits like a glove. Given I also have an MX453 DS helmet that I really like, I decided to give the MX456 a try. As stated in the thread, the interior fit and finish is first rate. And with the adjustable/inflatable cheek-pads, dialing the 456 in took just seconds.

I pulled the helmet straight out of the box and left on a five day, 800 mile dirt ride across very remote areas of Nevada and Utah. Averaging about 160 miles per day, I was nervous that any fit issues might become major comfort issues. No worries. The helmet was flawless and proved incredibly comfortable, capable and cool. I know it's weird having vents in an open-face helmet, but I can attest that on cool mornings, it was nice to shut off the crisp draft over the top of my head. Maybe I just lack experience, but are closable vents common on a full dirt helmet? If not, they should be. It was a really nice feature I didn't realize I wanted.

As for durability, I did take a few spills, at speed, and the helmet proved its worth again. On one such occasion, I hit an invisible rock (aren't they all?) in a sand wash doing about 35mph. The bike decided to stop immediately and I went right over the bars. Going into the sand head first, I was amazed that I didn't rip the visor off given the easily visible impact marks. Aside from some expected scuffs, I dusted off and went back on my way (after straightening my bars, guards, GPS, brake/clutch lever, etc.).

In the end, I give this helmet an A+. It looks great. It's reasonably light and has an unbeatable price. With some of the Shoei and Arai models tipping the scales at $500+, it's hard to grasp quality like this at less than half the cost!
Attached Images

midfat screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 11:21 AM
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #173
Shunka
Supervision Required

Quote:

Thanks!
Phil
Quote:

I'm thinking yes.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #174
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks!
Phil
Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking yes.
Sorry, I should have specified new shields for the MX453, I thought he was referring to a different helmet with that comment.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #175
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks.
Ummm...I guess he was responding to your comment quoted above regarding the MX453. My bad.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #176
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Finally got a chance to go for a ride in my MX453 today. Had the helmet on for about 3 hours, and it was very comfortable the whole time. No pressure points. No irritation. Ventilation is excellent.

The fit is just about perfect. What I mentioned earlier, about maybe wanting the cheek pads to be just a bit bigger, is a non-issue. The fit is just different than I am used to. It is a little looser around my cheekbones but snug lower along my jaw. After about 15 minutes I didn't even notice it anymore, and the helmet felt great for the entire ride. I guess I am so used to the Shoei Qwest I've been wearing the past few years and anything different just felt odd at first.

Visibility is FANTASTIC! The eye port is huge and the visor is crystal clear. The only way I got any distortion was to deliberately look through the lip at the bottom of the shield and not the face of the shield itself. Otherwise it was 100% distortion-free. The visor seals very well, and I felt no air getting in around the edges of the visor - even at 60 mph or so. It starts to get noisy around 45 mph, but I can't see how any helmet this open around the bottom wouldn't be noisy. Still, I did not find the noise unbearable at the speeds I was doing. There is plenty of ventilation around the bottom and through the vents, but as I mentioned, no noticeable air leaking around the edge of the visor. I tried it with my goggles (100% Accuris) and they fit just fine and worked great with the MX453.

I also had no problems with the peak catching wind, even at 60 mph, which is about as fast as I got today. All in all I am extremely pleased with the helmet. It fits great, is lightweight, well-ventilated and visibility is superb. I'm so pleased with LS2 that I just ordered an MX442 Jump (now on closeout at Motorcycle Superstore for $59.99! ) for riding offroad exclusively.

Derek
Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #177
AZR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
FYI
Cyclegear has the mx456 on sale for $99 (or at least my local one did). Evidently they just got them in.
AZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #178
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...x?contestid=31

Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #179
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Cyril Despres competes on a 1978 Yamaha XS750 triple? Yep. Patagonia 800KM.

LS2 was a sponsor of this event in Argentina. Watch the video. I hope you'll agree that this would be a dream adventure. Really well done event.

It appears that the video editor used a copyrighted song, so I'd suugest you pick your favorite music to listen to as you watch.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #180
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
quick question, im not here to vendor bash but want to know who I should contact about some issues I have with my current LS2 helmet?

(Quality issues/concerns)
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote