Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #196
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 177
Shield change on LS2 Helmets FF386 - or any with black knob with clear ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I don't think I saw it detailed in any of the paperwork with my FF386...
...what's the correct procedure to make sure the shield is correctly secured after removing and reinstalling it?

I lost one of the knobs while riding home from work today, which was a bit inconvenient (and would have been more than inconvenient if I had been more than three miles from home). I'm assuming I didn't properly lock the knob when I reinstalled the shield after installing the pin lock insert, but I've had it open and closed a bunch of times since without any issues...until I tried to close it this afternoon.
Sorry to hear you had trouble with that shield mechanism. Not a dumb question at all. There are a few tips that will help.

I sent an IM with additional info. Please check your messages.

Here is a YouTube video that shows how it's done:

The main points are:

1. There is a right and a left knob. You'll see an "L" or an "R" on the clear outer ring that will tell you which is which. Left and right are considered as if you had the helmet on your head. Right ear, right side. Left ear, left side.

2. The letters should be facing the front of the helmet when the shield is installed and in the operating position, whether the shield is open or closed.

3. The red lock slides back to lock and forward to unlock. To remove the shield you need to slide that red lock switch forward.

4. Twist the knobs so the letters each turn down toward the bottom of the helmet, about 1/4 turn. (They won't be pointing straight down, but close).

5. Wiggle the knob free and remove it.

6. The shield can now be removed.

7. The pivot points for the shield mechanism (round ring, black plastic) are spring loaded. You might want to use the tip of your finger to slide them forward a little to make the installation of the shield easier.

8. Make sure you have the correct knob, right or left, and that the letter is pointing down toward the bottom of the helmet and reinstall. Once they are seated, twist so the letter turns toward the front of the helmet, and you feel a definite "click."

9. Slide the red knob toward the rear of the helmet.

10. Repeat with the other side.

I hope that helps.
Phil
Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #197
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Celebrate the Outdoor National MX series. Win an LS2 from Extreme Supply!

Winner picks their choice of an MX453 Adventure, an MX456 (The helmet that won Dakar), or and FF386 Modular.

CLICK THIS LINK: http://www.extremesupply.com/Brand-LS2.html

CLICK THIS LINK: http://www.extremesupply.com/Brand-LS2.html
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #198
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

And yet another chance to WIN an LS2 via Motorcycle Superstore.

Motorcycle Superstore is giving away your choice of an MX453 Adventure, an MX456 or an FF386 Modular.

FOLLOW THIS LINK TO ENTER: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...x?contestid=31

Phil_Ammendolia screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 11:45 AM Reason: Typo.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #199
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Hi Bungholio,

Not sure which shield you have, but we put a new shield on these earlier this year with less of a curve. It pretty well handled any distortion. The early version was very flat. The new has a lip at the bottom that allows a more gentle curve. The new shields will fit all models.

Thanks,
Phil
I just got the new shield from atomic moto and it is great. Much better fit and the anti fog coating seems to be working extremely well.

Phil
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #200
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,469
Well after much hope and anticipation I was sorley let down with the fit of the LS2 FF386 modular. The Wife and I drove over 100 miles one way to test fit, and purchase, a new helmet for both of us and was disappointed with the narrow fit for me and the small fit for the Wife. I guess it was worth the trip as we have ruled out the LS2 helmets and decided to go all out with the Schubert helmets.

We were really wanting the LS2's to work out but proper fit is way more important than price in the long run.

Try before you buy......

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #201
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Well after much hope and anticipation I was sorley let down with the fit of the LS2 FF386 modular. The Wife and I drove over 100 miles one way to test fit, and purchase, a new helmet for both of us and was disappointed with the narrow fit for me and the small fit for the Wife. I guess it was worth the trip as we have ruled out the LS2 helmets and decided to go all out with the Schubert helmets.

We were really wanting the LS2's to work out but proper fit is way more important than price in the long run.

Try before you buy......
Sounds like you may have a head shape more round than oval, in which case you may also be disappointed with the way the Schuberth fits (also oval). You might like the Shoei Multitec/Neotec or whatever the current model is now.
cpallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #202
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
Sounds like you may have a head shape more round than oval, in which case you may also be disappointed with the way the Schuberth fits (also oval). You might like the Shoei Multitec/Neotec or whatever the current model is now.

No I definitely have a long oval head shape and I have worn a Schuberth Concept for years and it fits perfectly. Stopped by a local BMW shop yesterday that carries Schuberth and tried the C3 XXL and, like my old Concept, fit great. The Wife tried on the C3W (women's) and the fit was near perfect and she really liked the W model interior. My original goal was to not spend so much on a helmet.

With having owned over 100 helmets throughout the years (most racing helmet gear) I have never been able to wear a Shoei, Nolan or AGV, all "round head" shape helmet's or closer to the round on the medium side. I currently have three Arai's that are awesome but the modular is the helmet I wear everyday. Thanks for the input but while considering spending over a thousand dollars on two helmets I have done my homework. I really wish the LS2 would have fit as I could have bought two apiece for the Wife and I and still be money ahead.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #203
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
No I definitely have a long oval head shape and I have worn a Schuberth Concept for years and it fits perfectly. Stopped by a local BMW shop yesterday that carries Schuberth and tried the C3 XXL and, like my old Concept, fit great. The Wife tried on the C3W (women's) and the fit was near perfect and she really liked the W model interior. My original goal was to not spend so much on a helmet.

(snipped)
My apologies then - perhaps it's something to do with the shell size? I also have an "Arai Head", and rode with a Concept C1 for years until it was damaged in a crash. I also have a Shoei Multitech which never fit me correctly and I rarely wear it. I was going to get a new C3 Pro (which is more oval than the C3 and fit me better, in addition to so other details) when I ran accross the LS2. The LS2 (large) fits me perfectly; better than anything I have ever worn and I have been completely satisfied with it.

I then bought a OF569 - the open face version of the FF386 - and I have had fitment problems with it because it's a round fit. Still like it (in XL) but it's too round and presses on my forehead.

Maybe this points to some kind of qc problem with the way the shells are made.
cpallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #204
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:

Maybe this!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #205
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Different fit.

Quote:
My apologies then - perhaps it's something to do with the shell size? I also have an "Arai Head", and rode with a Concept C1 for years until it was damaged in a crash. I also have a Shoei Multitech which never fit me correctly and I rarely wear it. I was going to get a new C3 Pro (which is more oval than the C3 and fit me better, in addition to so other details) when I ran accross the LS2. The LS2 (large) fits me perfectly; better than anything I have ever worn and I have been completely satisfied with it.

I then bought a OF569 - the open face version of the FF386 - and I have had fitment problems with it because it's a round fit. Still like it (in XL) but it's too round and presses on my forehead.

Great thread. It makes a point that helmet fit is as individual as each person's own head shape.

Our different fits are not a QC problem, but rather a design decision to fit a wider variety of riders. All FF386 and FF387 are consistently oval. FF396, FT2, CR1, MX453 Adventure, MX456, MX442, OF583 are all long oval.

OF569 are also oval, but the designer wanted a lower profile, smaller shell and the end result is a helmet where the EPS is slightly shorter front to back. There are a lot of customers who love the fit and wear both the FF386 Modular and the OF569 open face. Others can wear only one or the other. These two helmets are our #1 and #2 best sellers in the U.S.

The overall U.S. market leans more toward long oval, but it's a close race with oval. And within the U.S. market, modular helmet buyers tend to prefer a more oval shape. European riders tend to purchase more oval helmet shapes. The Asian market tends toward round. Still, within each there are many exceptions.

Personally, I'm more comfortable in our long oval shapes. I can wear our Modular and the OF569, but I need a size larger. In that size larger, they still "fit," securely and snugly where they need to, but the size difference allows room for my forehead. It's all a matter of the shape of my head.

MotoBoss, I appreciate the effort you made to try an LS2, and sorry we didn't have what you needed. Interestingly, I've had a lot of Schuberth owners who have purchased an FF386 and love it, but it does again demonstrate that each rider's head is different.

The main point is, just like shoes, not all helmets fit alike and it's important to get one on your head to make sure it fits your personal shape. LS2 builds several shapes to accommodate a wide variety of heads, but there is no one shape that will work for every rider.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #206
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Fit fine-tuning questions re: MX453

I picked up an MX453 from Atomic Moto earlier this year, and I'm generally really liking the helmet. The materials are a huge step up from the $120-range dual-sport helmets I've been wearing, both in feel and in that it's a fiberglass rather than polycarbonate outer shell. Oh, and I'm loving the long-oval fit..this may be the first helmet I've had that I could wear all day without feeling forehead pressure.

With that said, I'm finding that the cheek pads may be providing a little too much pressure--after a few hours on the bike, I found that I was subconsciously trying to puff out my cheeks to get a little room back. Is my assumption that going up one size (from large to XL) on the cheek pads would give me just a bit more space? I figure it's got to be close, as I can get the helmet on and it feels good and snug initially but then starts feeling a bit tight around the cheeks.

Second, do you have any recommendations for short goggles? My Smith Intake goggles don't quite fit in the eyeport while the helmet is on my head—they end up pushed down just a bit into my nose. I'd love to find something that fit a bit better and that also had a photochomic lens option...being able to ride from sunny open road off into a forest trail and be able to see in both is a very, very nice feature.

Thanks,
Kevin
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #207
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Atomic has those goggles as well. I have a pair, don't get super dark but are satisfactory with a dirt helmet peak. Progrip is the brand.

EDIT: I just checked AM website and they do not seem to have the progrip goggles any more only the 100% Accuri. Sorry for the misinformation.

Bungholio screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 01:14 PM
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #208
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,450
well, ordered a MX453 and a dark tint shield yesterday, should be here by the weekend. Thanks for the various threads, lots of great info. I really think I'll like the helmet, I'm def a long-oval head and have always had to "modify" my helmets, compressing the lining, to avoid forehead pressure, hopefully this helmet will not need modified!! next week might order the flip up helmet for my girlfriend, she's gonna want a new helmet once she sees mine! just wish the flip up(modular) came in more exciting colors!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #209
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Great thread. It makes a point that helmet fit is as individual as each person's own head shape.

MotoBoss, I appreciate the effort you made to try an LS2, and sorry we didn't have what you needed. Interestingly, I've had a lot of Schuberth owners who have purchased an FF386 and love it, but it does again demonstrate that each rider's head is different.

Thanks,
Phil
Thanks Phil, I really liked the LS2 helmet and would have bought it in a heartbeat. The store did not have a 3X for me to try and the 2X was near too small, tight and pressured my forehead. My Wife's problem was the small was an ok fit but we could not get the strap small enough to comfortably lock the clasp securely.

As I stated I would have loved to have bought the helmet's but your right, helmets are as selective as head sizes are . Good product and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone to try.

Thank you

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #210
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Hi bikerfish,

I'm stoked to hear you ordered an MX453. They are definitely a long oval design, so I'm anxious to hear how it fits your head. Would you keep me posted?

Thanks,
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
well, ordered a MX453 and a dark tint shield yesterday, should be here by the weekend. Thanks for the various threads, lots of great info. I really think I'll like the helmet, I'm def a long-oval head and have always had to "modify" my helmets, compressing the lining, to avoid forehead pressure, hopefully this helmet will not need modified!! next week might order the flip up helmet for my girlfriend, she's gonna want a new helmet once she sees mine! just wish the flip up(modular) came in more exciting colors!!