User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #226
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 541
Hi Phil -

Had a couple things...first I wanted to let you know how happy I've been with my MX456 so far. It's really a great helmet that I prefer to my much more expensive AX-8 currently. For a dirt helmet vs a dual sport, I'm amazed at how little actual helmet lift/buffeting there is with the large peak compared to the little on on the AX8. It's really a great product with a great fit at an epic price! I was very worried though when I first got it though...I was worried at how small the actual shell was, and how hard it was to get on that I had bought a youth medium instead of a full size! It broke in very quickly though, and is really great.

Second, has anyone come up with a good way to mount a GoPro on a 456? Because of the smaller shell size, it's quite a bit curvier, and I've had troubles getting a normal curved mount to stick. The next try is going to be to add an extra layer or two of the foam double sided tape to try and make the mount a bit more forgiving.

-Malhon
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #227
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Hi Phil -

Had a couple things...first I wanted to let you know how happy I've been with my MX456 so far. It's really a great helmet that I prefer to my much more expensive AX-8 currently. For a dirt helmet vs a dual sport, I'm amazed at how little actual helmet lift/buffeting there is with the large peak compared to the little on on the AX8. It's really a great product with a great fit at an epic price! I was very worried though when I first got it though...I was worried at how small the actual shell was, and how hard it was to get on that I had bought a youth medium instead of a full size! It broke in very quickly though, and is really great.

Second, has anyone come up with a good way to mount a GoPro on a 456? Because of the smaller shell size, it's quite a bit curvier, and I've had troubles getting a normal curved mount to stick. The next try is going to be to add an extra layer or two of the foam double sided tape to try and make the mount a bit more forgiving.

-Malhon
Hi Malhon,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've been traveling on business.

I haven't had any experience with mounting a GoPro. I know people have done it, but I'm not sure what they had to do to make it work. I'll ask around and see if I can come up with anything.

Sorry I'm not more help on this one.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #228
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Just thought I'd mention that I bought the MX453 from Atomic Moto yesterday and chose a medium for my head. Here's my thoughts: I'm right on the edge of medium and small and although when the Arai rep at the International Motorcycle show said I was a small in Arai's, the medium in these was easier to get on and off and just a bit more comfortable. Also, I tend to wear an aviator skull cap under my helmets to help with noise and stink. The helmet really does have a long-oval feel to it and was very comfortable for my long-oval head! Although mine is getting drop-shipped to me as I type this, I can't wait to get it and ride!

I want to recommend Atomic Moto for the fantastic customer service and I'd like to thank all the previous posters for their thoughts/advice and finally Phil for his candid/honest and prompt responses to folks here!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #229
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Hey Phil, is the MX453 available in solid colors? Sorry I just went to your website and got my question answered.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #230
The_Boot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Phil, just wanted to throw some kudos your way. I just recieved my ff386 from Atomic-Moto today. Wow! I have slid every lid within 50 miles of me on in the last week and this helmet is terrific! Looking forward to some miles in it but thank you guys for bringing so much value to the market. I sampled helmets well more than twice the price that weren't close. You won a customer!

Big shout out to Brian for the advice on this one....
The_Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #231
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Thanks for the note and the kudos! I really appreciate it. And thanks for the shout out to Brian at Atomic. He does a great job for us and really knows his stuff.

All the best,
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Boot View Post
Phil, just wanted to throw some kudos your way. I just recieved my ff386 from Atomic-Moto today. Wow! I have slid every lid within 50 miles of me on in the last week and this helmet is terrific! Looking forward to some miles in it but thank you guys for bringing so much value to the market. I sampled helmets well more than twice the price that weren't close. You won a customer!

Big shout out to Brian for the advice on this one....
Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #232
dblacknj
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 268
MX456E Solid White

Could you tell me what is the situation with the MX456E Solid White?
I see pictures of it in various web sites.

ls2helmets.us/_live/catalog - has a picture, but no part number.

www.compacc.com - has a picture, but no way to order it.

www.chapparal-racing.com - you can order it, but the fine print says
"Available for order. Pending arrival from manufacturer." To me, that
means you might get it eventually….

Does it exist, will it exist, should I even think about it?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #233
czajunia
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Phil,

Another question regarding MX455. Is it fiberlass construction as well or is it something different?

Also, do you know if the helmets sold on AliExpress are genuine LS2 products? I am interested in either 455 or 453 but they are not easily available in Europe (UK) so I thought about getting one directly from China. Not sure if I can post links here but I've found this product:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...270120145.html
which looks genuine but it says in the description the helmet is DOT certified which, after reading this thread, I know it's not. I would be grateful if you could confirm whether that product looks genuine to you or not.

Also, do you know any European distributors that may stock either 455 or 453 models?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
czajunia

czajunia screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 04:52 PM
czajunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #234
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia View Post
Hi Phil,

Another question regarding MX455. Is it fiberlass construction as well or is it something different?

Also, do you know if the helmets sold on AliExpress are genuine LS2 products? I am interested in either 455 or 453 but they are not easily available in Europe (UK) so I thought about getting one directly from China. Not sure if I can post links here but I've found this product:
which looks genuine but it says in the description the helmet is DOT certified which, after reading this thread, I know it's not. I would be grateful if you could confirm whether that product looks genuine to you or not.

Also, do you know any European distributors that may stock either 455 or 453 models?

Cheers,
czajunia
Dont do it... hopefully Phil can give you an answer as to where these aliexpress helmets come from and maybe they're a similar helmet.

From a thread in the equipment forum about the FF386 modular, I did an online search and ended up getting subj helmet from subj vendor.
it arrived in bubble wrap and no box, and I was skeptical cutting it off to say the least. The quality of the helmet is incredibly poor. Missing paint around trim, as I open the visor on the left side tab, the visor is opened 2inches before the right side of the visor starts to move. When flipping up the front chin, the visor is chewing through the paint at the back of the ears on both sides. Opening and closing the internal visor, sounds like slamming the door on an 84 minivan.

I like quality gear but may sacrifice some depending on price and what I'm buying, I have lots of MSR and Big Agnes stuff so I wouldn't call myself cheap.
I gotta say that this is easily the worst purchase of just about anything I've ever bought. And I'm currently 2 months into the process of trying to return it. I've often given a critique on an item, but this is beyond that.

There are no LS2 vendors local to me and I'd love to have a real 386 in my hands to compare.

I've gotten other items from same vendor and deal extreme and most ive been very happy with, and will buy some small stuff again. But the other stuff cost 3-12 bucks, and not safety related like this helmet is supposed to be.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #235
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Hi Phil,

Cheers,
czajunia
I got a 455 from Aliexpress last summer (not from that dealer thought) and it is a genuine helmet. In fact it is one of the best helmets I had. Only glitch is the the cheeck pads started to loose air ( pump system) and the leak is coming from the nozzle in the pad and the air port in the helmet. It is a slow leak, but a leak anyway.
I tried cleaning the port hole and it got better, but still leaked. I sent e-mails to LS2 and talked to Phil (he is the only one that replied back) and there is no way to get replacement pads... My solution is to get 453 pads and Velcro them in. Still have to do that though.

The helmet design was sold to other manufacturers here in North America and LS2 cannot carry the 455.
The helmets from the other manufacturers are using the shell from the 455 and the inner of the 453 I think, because none have the pump style cheek pads.

The helmet built is top notch, just too bad that I am kinda stuck now...
12Bong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #236
czajunia
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like a little bit of a lottery with those sellers. I've red customers' feedback on AliExpress and there was someone saying that their helmet arrived packed in bubble wrap and no box but others were perfectly happy with their products.

@12Bong13 - not sure if you remember but you PMed me the link to the shop you got the helmet from but unfortunately they were out of stock in size L so didn't get it eventually. Wasn't too happy about getting a helmet from a non-recommended source. Which after reading Maggot12's comment seem like a right decision.

Looks like it's too much hassle and virtually no way of getting the money back if something goes wrong not too mention the import fees and VAT that needs to be paid and probably not very easy to get back when returning a product.

I will probably stick to my initial plan and get one of the Spada (Sting or Intrepid) helmets which are easily available in UK. It's a shame as I wanted to give LS2 a go after reading all the positive comments about their products. Unfortunately LS2 only sells MX433 and MX456 in UK.
czajunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #237
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

MX456e solid white

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblacknj View Post
Could you tell me what is the situation with the MX456E Solid White?
I see pictures of it in various web sites.

ls2helmets.us/_live/catalog - has a picture, but no part number.

www.compacc.com - has a picture, but no way to order it.

www.chapparal-racing.com - you can order it, but the fine print says
"Available for order. Pending arrival from manufacturer." To me, that
means you might get it eventually….

Does it exist, will it exist, should I even think about it?

Thanks
Hi dblacknj,

Sorry for the late reply. It's that time of year when I'm basically living on the road and with the holiday, I'm a little behind.

WE had a small shipment of white MX456e, and they sold immediately. I think we have more coming mid-July and I've placed a query. I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #238
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Hi Phil,

Cheers,
czajunia
Hi czajumia,

The MX455 is not a U.S. model, so I'm only a little familiar with it. It is a plastic composite shell. It is probably capable of passing DOT, but to my knowledge, it has never been submitted for DOT testing, so it would not be legal in the U.S. It is possible that it has been certified ECE.

As for Aliexpress, I don't know. Helmets purchased from them and brought to the U.S are not covered by our warranty or insurance. It is probably the same in the U.K., but you should check there. I would recommend playing it safe and buying from an authorized U.K. retailer, even if you have to select another model. You can find the U.K. distributor at www.ls2helmets.com and follow the links to the U.K.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I just don't have that much experience with non-U.S. models.

All the best,
Phil
Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #239
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Enter to WIN one of 21 LS2 Helmets

Adventure riders can use full face helmets too, and here's a chance to WIN one of 21 LS2 Helmets. You're choice of our CR1, FT2 or our FF386 Modular. We're celebrating the INDY Moto GP. Enter at each of the participating dealers to increase your chances of winning.

CLICK THIS LINK TO ENTER >>> www.ls2helmets.us/IndyGP

CLICK THIS LINK TO ENTER >>> www.ls2helmets.us/IndyGP
Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #240
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Need help/ Helmet Issue

Hi Phil:
I am circling Lake Superior. My new modular refused to latch. (The cheek pads won't stay fastened either, but that's minor.) I could force the metal pin into the latch for the first 2 days of my trip. But today at speed near Wawa, Ontario the latch let go of the upper part of the helmet. Helmet used 12 times. Not abused, dropped, etc. It wasn't safe. So I bought a Polaris snowmobile helmet to get me thru this trip safely. The motor sports dealer here is shipping my LR2 back to me in Chicago.
I'd like to keep my LR2. It is hi-viz and works well (mostly).
What do you advise?
Ted Marshall
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote