User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #31
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Phil,

Any plans in the near future to offer a light smoke shield for the MX453?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Hi 2 SPOT,

We offer a variety of shields for the MX453. You can see them on our website - http://ls2helmets.us/_live/products/accessories.

Dark smoke part number is 02-082.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #32
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Phil,

Any plans in the near future to offer a light smoke shield for the MX453?
Hi Hipster,

Sorry, not at this time. You're the first to ask. I'll pass the request on to the factory.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil_Ammendolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #33
dirtfarmerrich
Richard

Oddometer: 98
Helmet shape

I love the features of the ff386 helmet. I ordered a xxxl and it was to snug for me. I think I have.a round head. Do all your LS2 helmets fit the same shape head, more of a oblong shape ?
dirtfarmerrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #34
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Phil,

Thank you for the quick response. The reason I ask is because on a dual sport bike it's difficult to carry an extra shield and, on rides I sometimes find myself riding home after dark. With a light smoke shield you can get by riding short distances after dark.
Quote:
Hi Hipster,

Sorry, not at this time. You're the first to ask. I'll pass the request on to the factory.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #35
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmerrich View Post
I love the features of the ff386 helmet. I ordered a xxxl and it was to snug for me. I think I have.a round head. Do all your LS2 helmets fit the same shape head, more of a oblong shape ?
Hi dirtfarmerrich,

Thanks for the note. The FF386 really is a value.

Fitting a wide variety of head shapes is always the challenge and we do what we can to fit the widest variety at a reasonable price. We have basically 3 shapes.

The FF386 Modular, FF387 Full Face and the OF569 Open Face are OVAL. This is the most popular fit in Europe and second most popular in the U.S.

The FF393 Convert (chin bar flips over the back of the helmet to switch from a full face to an open face with shield and retractable sun shield) is a VERY ROUND shape. If your head is round, this is your best bet, but it comes only from XS to XXL, and it is one of our pricier pieces with a retail of $399. The mechanism for the flip over is pretty complicated and pricey to build.

All other models are a long oval, which is the most popular in the U.S.

It's always best if you can find a dealer where you can try one. In Illinois, DGY and Naperville Motorsports both carry quite a bit of our product and you can search our dealer base at http://ls2helmets.us/_live/dealer-lo...dealer-locator.

ALWAYS CALL first to make sure they have what you want to try. I'd hate for you to make a trip for no reason.

Hope that helps some.

Phil
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Phil,

Thank you for the quick response. The reason I ask is because on a dual sport bike it's difficult to carry an extra shield and, on rides I sometimes find myself riding home after dark. With a light smoke shield you can get by riding short distances after dark.
Glad I was able to get back to you. It makes sense. It will take some time (could be as long as 6 months), but I'll see what I can do to get them in a light smoke.

FYI, I'm able to wear my sun glasses with my MX453 which might be an option for you in the meanwhile.

Have fun out there.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #37
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

LS2 Helmets FogFighter shield in action.

I get a lot of questions regarding our FogFighter shields and whether they work. You've probably experienced that shields are more likely to fog when you are at a stop, with no air flow, so, I had this helmet inside at room temperature. I put it on, CLOSED THE SHIELD and went outside on what was a foggy, 48 degree day in northern California. I wore the helmet for about 15 minutes before I started filming. I pushed my 600 pound Moto Guzzi out of the garage and down the street so I would be huffing and puffing a little. As I set up the camera, the fog lifted, but you can see from the moisture on the car at the start of this that it was a very damp day. That water on the car was from fog, not rain.

The FogFighter comes standard on the FF396 FT2 and CR1. It will also fit and is available as a replacement shield for the FF387.

If a FogFighter shield does fog, it's probably dirty on the inside. It might look clean, but oils and perspiration can attach to the inside of the shield and cause it to fog. I use a microfiber towel and water. NEVER USE GLASS CLEANER WITH AMMONIA. It will cut the fog resistant treatment.

PLEASE NOTE: These shields WILL sometimes get a thin film of moisture on the inside of the lens. That is just condensation. It's clear, but you might notice it. That's true for all brands of shields of this type. The treatment has a shelf life. I've had this type of treatment last for as long as 4 years, but it could be much less depending on how you store it, treat it, clean it, etc.

Phil_Ammendolia screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 10:08 AM
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #38
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,108
dealers / locators

Hi there Phil,

I would love to try on some of the LS2 line-ups but the dealer locator bounces me around all over the place, I get a different answer every time but nothing anywhere close to Colorado.

Instead of getting bounced from one dot.com to another (or stores in California), it might be helpful to have a list of actual dealers available so I can look for one during the next road trip at least.

Aside from being between a small and XS, I really like the idea of the secondary sun-visor, but since it's only available on the modular, the weight of the helmet may be an issue for me, so I might have to revert back to the 453 Adventure in order to have an external sun visor at least.

Hard to believe you don't have any dealers in Colorado? Please let me know if I can be of assistance in introducing your products to some of the many MC shops out this way

Leather-Up seems un-impressive advertising at MSRP; although your price point is very, very good to begin with. I'm guessing in part at least the lack of the Snell rating makes this possible? I favor ECE at any rate, love my Airoh Stelt Sen for it's lightweight comfort and would absolutely love to find a helmet as comfortable as my Arai (the intermediate oval fits well) RXQ or even the XD3 but with the drop down visor.

Every time I end up trying a different brand, I always seem to end up going back to another Arai because they just fit my pin head so well-just not my wallet...

Looks like you've made that jump, looking forward to giving them a try!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #39
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Hi there Phil,

I would love to try on some of the LS2 line-ups but the dealer locator bounces me around all over the place, I get a different answer every time but nothing anywhere close to Colorado.

Instead of getting bounced from one dot.com to another (or stores in California), it might be helpful to have a list of actual dealers available so I can look for one during the next road trip at least.

Hard to believe you don't have any dealers in Colorado? Please let me know if I can be of assistance in introducing your products to some of the many MC shops out this way

Looks like you've made that jump, looking forward to giving them a try!
Hi Wings,

Thanks for taking the time to write. It helps a lot to hear from you.

I'm really sorry for the hassle. If we don't have a local dealer that has a quantity of LS2 products on hand, our dealer locator automatically posts our key online dealers that have a deep inventory so consumers can at least have the ability to buy LS2 Helmets.

I looked at our list and we are sorely lacking stores in Colorado. Is Aurora near you?

Aurora Honda
200 S Potomac
Aurora, CO 80012
(303) 341-7200

ALWAYS a good idea to call ahead to see what they have in stock. They can get anything we sell in about 2 days.

If you're planning a road trip, let me know and I'll make sure I provide a list of dealers in the area you're traveling.

Don't know if you would have any interest in a full face, but if so, have a look at our FT2 full face. It's pretty lightweight and does have the retractable Full Eclipse sun shield.

FYI, we recently added a sales rep, but he won't start making the rounds for another few weeks.

If you know any dealers that might be interested, I'd love to hear from you. We have an amazing program for authorized motorcycle dealers and accessory stores. We're new enough in the U.S. that many dealers don't realize we're one of the biggest helmet companies in the world. We sell over a million LS2 branded helmets world-wide and we build another million for other brands.

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #40
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

"The Ancient One," Reg Kittrelle tells about our MX453 Adventure.

The LS2 Helmets MX453 Adventure Helmet - Lightweight fiberglass shell. Wide eye port accommodates most goggles, even with the shield closed. Large ports in the peak allow air flow and help prevent lift at high speeds. It offers more helmet for the money when compared to the competition. The MX453 is a VERY comfortable helmet with a fully removable, technical fabric liner that wicks moisture to keep you drier. Adjustable, flow-through ventilation.

http://www.ls2helmets.us
LIKE us on http://www.facebook.com/LS2HelmetsUS
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #41
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Hi Wings,

Thanks for taking the time to write. It helps a lot to hear from you.

I'm really sorry for the hassle. If we don't have a local dealer that has a quantity of LS2 products on hand, our dealer locator automatically posts our key online dealers that have a deep inventory so consumers can at least have the ability to buy LS2 Helmets.

I looked at our list and we are sorely lacking stores in Colorado. Is Aurora near you?

Aurora Honda
200 S Potomac
Aurora, CO 80012
(303) 341-7200

ALWAYS a good idea to call ahead to see what they have in stock. They can get anything we sell in about 2 days.

If you're planning a road trip, let me know and I'll make sure I provide a list of dealers in the area you're traveling.

Don't know if you would have any interest in a full face, but if so, have a look at our FT2 full face. It's pretty lightweight and does have the retractable Full Eclipse sun shield.

FYI, we recently added a sales rep, but he won't start making the rounds for another few weeks.

If you know any dealers that might be interested, I'd love to hear from you. We have an amazing program for authorized motorcycle dealers and accessory stores. We're new enough in the U.S. that many dealers don't realize we're one of the biggest helmet companies in the world. We sell over a million LS2 branded helmets world-wide and we build another million for other brands.

Thanks again,
Phil

Thanks for the quick reply Phil, that helps a lot-while your product looks great, your dealer locater is sorely lacking even now, if I plug in Aurora, Colorado, it only refers me to MC Superstore.com instead of the Honda dealership in Aurora you mentioned...

I called the dealership, they don't have exactly what I'm looking for, but do have quite a few models & sizes to try and it's only an hours drive, so that's well worth it-going to make a quick run up on the weekend and check them out, I'll let you know how it turns out!

In the meantime-can you point out the differences between the FT2 FF385 vs 396 or is it just a new graphics? I'm sure I'll feel like a fool when you point it out, but I can't seem to find the difference in style.

Also, I couldn't find the weight of each model listed in the specs? I'm interested in weights of the modular 386 compared to the FT2 385/396

We both need new helmets, this looks like it might be the ticket
I'd be more than happy to show them off to dealerships in the area if I can get my hands on them...

Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
Phil_Ammendolia OP
No Guz No Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

In the meantime-can you point out the differences between the FT2 FF385 vs 396 or is it just a new graphics? I'm sure I'll feel like a fool when you point it out, but I can't seem to find the difference in style.
Hi again,

The FF385 is the earlier version and the FF396 is the newer. The shells are the same. They both weigh about 1450 grams +/-. The FF386 is about 1400 grams +/-. The FF386 has an OVAL fit.

There are two other differences between the FF385 and the FF396.

1) The FF385 is more OVAL and the FF396 is LONG OVAL.

2) The FF385 has an extra vent in the forehead. On the 396, we removed that and increased the size of the two top vents, so you get the same air flow with a simpler design.

A NOTE: Both the FF385 and the FF396 come in two versions; FT2 and CR1. The FT2 has a retractable sun shield and quick release strap. The CR1 does not have the sun shield and has a double-D strap. Aside from that, same shell, same fit, same shield.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

Let me know how you make out at Aurora.

All the best,
Phil
Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #43
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Shout out to Reg/ and bought 386

Nice to see Reg again. Lost track of him. Took a riding class from him at a Buell event in Wisconsin years ago.

Bought the modular helmet in hi-viz. orderd at IMF show in Chicago last weekend. Hasn't arrived yet.

I will report back on the helmet's performance.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #44
Wings
marmaduked

OK, reporting back

First off, huge kudos to Jon Orloff (the parts manager) at Aurora Honda
Super nice guy, both on the phone and in person, couldn't find a more helpful salesperson to help us.
Really nice little dealership with a friendly atmosphere, reminded me of a small town family owned place instead of a huge conglomerate business so frequently found in bigger cities-despite not being a huge dealership, they have a pretty darn good variety and selection of helmets and if you're in the business for a new lid, whether it be a LS2 or another (he offered a really good deal on some leftover Arais too, check them out linky to kudos .

As far as the helmets are concerned, I tried the Fullface FT2 385 in a small and it did not fit me well, overall the size felt just right but I had a lot of pressure around the top of my ears and the helmet was perched up as if the upper area was just a bit too narrow.

Unfortunately they did not have the 386 Modular or the Adventure MX 453 in stock in a small, but I tried them in a medium and even though they were a little big, the shape seemed different and more comfrotable from the Fullface 385 and resembled the fit of my Arai XD3 much more (Phil, am I way off here on the helmet shapes being different?).

What surprised me most was the weight of the Modular 386, which was the biggest reason I shied away from it initially-with both shoulders replaced and a fused neck, a lightweight helmet makes a huge difference for me.

I've tried a Shoei MultiTec a while back and loved how calm it behaved in dirty air, but the weight was a killer (+it just didn't fit as well), I barely ever wore this lid and ended up selling it to a friend-it was near new.
The medium sized Modular 386 in comparison seemed much lighter and maybe felt even a bit lighter than my size Small Arai XD3, as was the MX 453.

I was able to wear glasses without trouble under the secondary sun-visor of the 386-a huge bonus and one of the reasons (aside from the very reasonable price) I really wanted to take a look at the LS2 helmets, since I have a hard time riding without sunglasses (but now need regular glasses for close-up stuff) and hate carrying a spare shield.

The build and quality appeared to be fine, the paint & finish looks great; I sure won't hesitate to give them a whirl.

As far as fit/shape is concerned, there's no doubt that the Arais still cradle my head better than anything else I've tried to date, they seem to just wrap perfectly right around my noggin somehow. I've even crash tested one to the extreme and walked away (well, gimped anyway, but I'm still typing!) - but if you're looking for something well made that doesn't break the bank AND has some really outstanding functional features otherwise hard to find in helmets, the LS2 helmet line might just be the ticket (nope, no affiliation, Phil didn't bribe me ).
It was definitely a pleasant surprise and I've tried a lot of different helmets (here's a review of Airoh Stelt Senior I jotted up a couple years back if you're interested).

Off I am to find me a deal on an 386 on-line somewhere

Wings screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 08:25 PM
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #45
Kavan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hi Phil,

What's the difference between MX442 and MX456?

K.

Kavan screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 10:18 AM
Kavan is offline   Reply With Quote