ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Will smartphones replace standalone GPSes soon?

I'm debating whether to spend money on a Garmin unit (preferably waterproof like the Nuvi 550). It has advantages over a Droid. Like better battery life.

There's already talk of in car navigation systems to be obsolete in the coming years as more smartphones come with GPS hardware that don't need Wifi/Cellular signal to locate you. http://www.techlicious.com/blog/5-te...-5-years-2013/

So, what are you opinions?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Wyomingrider
WyoRider

Oddometer: 12
I dont think phones and other PDAs will replace Garmin type units until they have the ability to create routes via some sort of software application that is as versatile as Basecamp or Mapsource
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomingrider View Post
I dont think phones and other PDAs will replace Garmin type units until they have the ability to create routes via some sort of software application that is as versatile as Basecamp or Mapsource
You can use basecamp then export to apps. I've been playing around with OSMand and CoPilot. Works pretty great.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 05:48 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:

I can choose from a number of programs on my PC to create routes, then send those to my Smartphone. Then run those routes using a number of apps like Copilot and OSMand+. I have many choices.
Last fall I created a route that I exported to my phone, and to my Garmin. My Garmin choked because it had too many waypoints. Copilot on my phone had no trouble at all. I left the Garmin at home, again.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Garmins require Basecamp or Mapsource because they suck at route planning on the device! With CoPilot, I don't *need* any more computer than what I have on my smartphone or tablet. But yes, sometimes a PC is more convenient and as others have mentioned, there are options that work just fine.

2-3 years ago I bought my daughter a Garmin Nuvi for use in her car. I think she tried it a few times before tossing it in the glove box in favor of her Iphone.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 534
iPhone/Androids have much better hardware and software. I use iPhone to navigate in my car (sure wouldn't pay the $$ they charge for clunky in-car systems you can barely update etc)

The main reasons I still use a Garmin are 1) rugged and weatherproof, including weatherproof power plug 2) usable with gloves on (I prefer buttons on the bike) and 3) redundancy (a half reason)

Basecamp and Garmin software is really horrible compared to what's on Andoird/iOS nowadays. Garmin devices are really slow compared to smartphones, and the screen is not as good etc etc
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I can choose from a number of programs on my PC to create routes, then send those to my Smartphone.
You've been really helpful getting me up to speed, so thanks. At one point, you recommended wondows streets & Trips. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on a mac. Any other programs you'd recommend? I like planning on laptop, then transferring.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,703
I have a ruggedized Android smartphone that I use to run Osmand. A standalone GPS offers almost no advantages over my phone, at least for me, especially since I rarely make detailed GPS tracks to follow. With a 12V outlet on the bike, I can plug in my phone, so the battery life isn't as big of an issue. The phone is waterproof and shockproof, so there's no advantage there for a GPS unit either.

Plus, it's one fewer thing I have to carry around. The one real downside for me is that I have to have my phone mounted on the handlebars so I could get separated from it in a get-off.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
wireless charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I have a ruggedized Android smartphone that I use to run Osmand. A standalone GPS offers almost no advantages over my phone, at least for me, especially since I rarely make detailed GPS tracks to follow. With a 12V outlet on the bike, I can plug in my phone, so the battery life isn't as big of an issue. The phone is waterproof and shockproof, so there's no advantage there for a GPS unit either.

Plus, it's one fewer thing I have to carry around. The one real downside for me is that I have to have my phone mounted on the handlebars so I could get separated from it in a get-off.
If I could integrate this gadget: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46C_yTffeL4 into my handlebar mount - it would be the Holy Grail of smartphone bike nav solutions. It may only take a dab of silicone on the charging unit to do the trick.

I have an iPhone 5 and hoped they would come out with a fully waterproof version. I did the Liquipel route, but I'm too scared to fully trust it in a long, hard rain on the bike. So - I use a Glad sandwich bag - and it works just fine. I don't like the idea of the USB connector hanging out on the bike and the inductive pad would solve that.

To the OP: Google "site:www.advrider.com smartphone nav" (or something similar) and you will find the many threads on this topic already running.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,783
I don't do routing so need for that capability. I've been using a cheaper nuvi in a ram waterproof aquabox. This gets used on the bike. But the phone is seeing much more work as a gps in the car.

This spring I'll give the phone a go in the aquabox and see how that works. I'd buy another 100 buck gps (also good for backup) but for the cost of a zumo I'd pick smart phone. One less device to carry, and of course, music, games, phone, camera, etc.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 115
i use my S4 for everything . got a sedio waterproof case for it too .
mounts on a ram xmount ( which i think is junk and would not recommend )
charging is a small problem when raining, but soon enough all phones will come with the wireless charging standard .
phones will put the low end gps units and low end cameras to death . the top end ones will still be around .
does anyone use an external bluetooth gps receiver with their phone ?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
If I could integrate this gadget: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46C_yTffeL4 into my handlebar mount - it would be the Holy Grail of smartphone bike nav solutions. It may only take a dab of silicone on the charging unit to do the trick.

I have an iPhone 5 and hoped they would come out with a fully waterproof version. I did the Liquipel route, but I'm too scared to fully trust it in a long, hard rain on the bike. So - I use a Glad sandwich bag - and it works just fine. I don't like the idea of the USB connector hanging out on the bike and the inductive pad would solve that.

To the OP: Google "site:www.advrider.com smartphone nav" (or something similar) and you will find the many threads on this topic already running.
The wireless charging is nice; it's the one weakness my phone has really. While I have a charging cradle for it that doesn't require opening any of the gasketed ports, charging it on the bike means it's plugged in with a micro USB cable, so if it starts raining, I have to unplug the charger, seal the port, and hope the rain doesn't outlast my battery. Hasn't been a problem yet, but if I were to ride in all-day rain, I'd probably run my battery down.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I don't do routing so need for that capability. I've been using a cheaper nuvi in a ram waterproof aquabox. This gets used on the bike. But the phone is seeing much more work as a gps in the car.

This spring I'll give the phone a go in the aquabox and see how that works. I'd buy another 100 buck gps (also good for backup) but for the cost of a zumo I'd pick smart phone. One less device to carry, and of course, music, games, phone, camera, etc.
I used to run with the Ram AquaBox and my old iPhone 3GS. I had big problems with overheating in the summer sun.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
If I could integrate this gadget: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46C_yTffeL4 into my handlebar mount - it would be the Holy Grail of smartphone bike nav solutions.
Wireless charging would likely be a 'fail' when using the phone as a GPS.
It is difficult to get a very high current through the wireless chargers because they aren't efficient. Put a couple of amps in, and get 1/2 amp at the phone. So there is a good possibility that it wouldn't charge fast enough to keep up with a bright display and navigation software.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,391
I was wondering about charging too. How the heck do you keep the phone on the capacitive charging pad while beating through the woods?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote