ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #181
Kattywampus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Gonna try using a waterproof smart phone for GPS

This weekend I bought a Garmin GPS on sale a REI for $250 (which was 50% off). It was too thick for my spring tension ram mount, so I returned it.

After reading this thread, I've decided to buy a used Casio Commando Android smartphone on craigslist for $60. It is waterproof, dustproof, and more shock resistant than the average bear.

I'm not going to activate it with a cell provider, just use a offline nav app to do my navigating in the Colorado back roads. I have a USB Powerlet socket to keep it powered while riding.

Will my plan work? Which app will help me the best with my upcoming CO BDR trip? Thanks.
Kattywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #182
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
This weekend I bought a Garmin GPS on sale a REI for $250 (which was 50% off). It was too thick for my spring tension ram mount, so I returned it.

After reading this thread, I've decided to buy a used Casio Commando Android smartphone on craigslist for $60. It is waterproof, dustproof, and more shock resistant than the average bear.

I'm not going to activate it with a cell provider, just use a offline nav app to do my navigating in the Colorado back roads. I have a USB Powerlet socket to keep it powered while riding.

Will my plan work? Which app will help me the best with my upcoming CO BDR trip? Thanks.
Locus Pro or Osmand+

Heck, get both and pick your favorite. I'm solidly in the locus camp now, but osmand is dang good. Search my user name for done tutorial videos. :
Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #183
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Any comments about BackCountry Navigator TOPO GPS?

I have tried Locus Map (free version) and I cannot get into it. I prefer OsmAnd so far.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #184
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Any comments about BackCountry Navigator TOPO GPS?

I have tried Locus Map (free version) and I cannot get into it. I prefer OsmAnd so far.
It's good stuff too.

There are quite a few options on the market, to suit everyone's tastes. Try them all, and if they work with brouter for offline routing that's a solid clue to their capabilities.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #185
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,024
I'm determined to break free of garmin (may they die in a fire). I've got a galaxy S4 active and so far I've tried orux (nice but could not get my phone to recognize maps I created and downloaded in mobac), GPS waypoint navigator (nice, but doesn't import gpx files), and google maps, which is actually really good offline when you catch on to the trick of saving maps on your phone. I think I'm gonna try osmand next and maybe backcountry navigator. If I buy both I will have spent a grand total of $37 in software. Good riddance, garmin.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #186
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I'm determined to break free of garmin (may they die in a fire). I've got a galaxy S4 active and so far I've tried orux (nice but could not get my phone to recognize maps I created and downloaded in mobac), GPS waypoint navigator (nice, but doesn't import gpx files), and google maps, which is actually really good offline when you catch on to the trick of saving maps on your phone. I think I'm gonna try osmand next and maybe backcountry navigator. If I buy both I will have spent a grand total of $37 in software. Good riddance, garmin.
i like osmand and orux
you can use OSM maps in orux also, just download the file and put in the maps folder
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #187
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Mobac , when you start the new Atlas, select oruxmaps sqlite database from the choices and do not rename the directory after it is created. Move the entire directory to /storage/sdcard1/oruxmaps/mapfiles/ or wherever you're puting them in, and it will work flawlessly. Orux renders faster than Osmand, but doesn't have a turn by turn option for navigation (without handing off to Google navigation or sygic) like locus or osmand do.

The only database oruxmaps will read from mobac is "oruxmaps sqlite", from my experience. It will however read and render vector maps very nicely, and a few choice garmin maps too

I think you will end up with osmand or locus as your goto. I wish sygic had more customization, but it's pretty basic and locked down :mad:
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #188
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Locus maps had a huge update today. Just a heads up :
Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #189
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post

I had a Commando 3G for a couple years, used it frequently on a RAM mount for navigation. That is one seriously tough phone, you'll be happy with it. When I upgraded to the 4G version, I beat the hell out of the 3G trying to kill it. It stood up to everything short of a full overhead swing of a sledgehammer before giving up the ghost. Batteries don't last long, though, so you'll want a way to charge it while riding. I used a "SlipGrip" brand mount for it - it was the only option at the time (and may still be) that wasn't a universal-style mount. Easy to pop the phone in and out, and it holds tight. Never had an issue with the phone coming loose, even over many miles of rough dirt roads.

I used Osmand on mine, but there are other programs out there too.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #190
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

More rainy day goodness...

Quick and easy navigation to waypoints:
http://youtu.be/1caPNT6dUnQ
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #191
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
More rainy day goodness...

Quick and easy navigation to waypoints:
http://youtu.be/1caPNT6dUnQ
Are you saying the Locus now has offline routing?
What vector maps do you use and where do you get them?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #192
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Are you saying the Locus now has offline routing?
What vector maps do you use and where do you get them?
Locus uses brouter for offline routing, or mapquest for online, neither of which requires a special map type. I prefer brouter, but mapquest is fast and decent. If I were plotting a long trek, during in a coffee shop, mapquest would be the nod, and it works well with only 2g connectivity.

Vector maps are available from the online store, which is built in, download the entire USA at once http://www.osmmaps.com/maps/united-states , or download state by state http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/us/

And don't overlook this section in the map settings:

As there are a bunch of great contour and hill shade views optional.

Don't forget toy can import and edit tracks/routes right there on the application too :
Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #193
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
I just downloaded the entire 1.2GB Canada OSM maps from the link you posted above. I am using brouter for routing. When I navigate to an address within Canada, the route calculation is perfect but when I display the itinerary for the route, the street names do not appear. Is this a problem with the map set or something else?

EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #194
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I just downloaded the entire 1.2GB Canada OSM maps from the link you posted above. I am using brouter for routing. When I navigate to an address within Canada, the route calculation is perfect but when I display the itinerary for the route, the street names do not appear. Is this a problem with the map set or something else?

Wuuuuu ? Hummm?

I don't think I've looked at the itinerary function before you pointed that out. It's the same information in my maps as yours, so I don't think it's a map problem, but that brouter is designed to give routes, not street names.

If you must have street names in the itinerary, you can use osrm, or map quest s the routing service, or just use osmand as an alternative. Osmand shoes the street names in the itinerary:
Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #195
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Also, osmand will be integrating live tracking next month. Take a look at the OSMO option in the latest nightlies. It should be pretty slick to show GROUPS of people in real time.