ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
very soon, wireless phones are grabbing market share daily
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
I was wondering about charging too. How the heck do you keep the phone on the capacitive charging pad while beating through the woods?
Should be simple enough to make a mount that holds the phone against the charge pad. (inductive not capacitive BTW)
But I still think they are too inefficient to work well. And I have no problems with my normal micro-USB connector as long as I keep in covered when no in use. It is on my daily use bike with a RAM mount, no problem.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I'm thinking about a new GPS for riding, but really like the smart phone GPS for car driving and think it would be nice for the dirt too.

I'm going to check out Osmand. Are good topo maps etc available?
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #19
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
What about strength of the GPS signal? I heard that a) cellphone chips are not as powerful as dedicated GPS and b) when then are they are throttled in software to reduce their power (to conserve battery) similar to bluetooth being usually scaled down on the phones.

I'm personally in favor of the phone route (having only used a phone for my street touring), but am apprehensive making the wrong (un-educated) decision that will leave me without GPS in the bush as venture farther and farther off-road.
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #20
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
What about strength of the GPS signal? I heard that a) cellphone chips are not as powerful as dedicated GPS and b) when then are they are throttled in software to reduce their power (to conserve battery) similar to bluetooth being usually scaled down on the phones.
On some of my older phones, the GPS software had problems getting an initial lock. This was phone firmware related.
My last two smartphones have had great GPS units in them. My current phone, a Galaxy S4 has GPS and Glonass. It gets a satellite lock from cold start in seconds. And I get a large number of satellites locked even inside the building where I work, which has a metal roof. In fact, for my job I had to evaluate a GPS tracking device. I had to go outside to get it to work, yet my S4 had no issues inside.

I think your comments may have had some truth to them 4 or more years ago. But now that the hardware and software has matured, it is probably a non-issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Supervetteracer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have an iphone 4s and would like to be able to draw out a route on my pc and then upload it to my iphone and use it to direct me through this route. While listening to music on my BT head set.

Got an idea of what software I can use to achieve this goal?
Supervetteracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
On some of my older phones, the GPS software had problems getting an initial lock. This was phone firmware related.
My last two smartphones have had great GPS units in them. My current phone, a Galaxy S4 has GPS and Glonass. It gets a satellite lock from cold start in seconds. And I get a large number of satellites locked even inside the building where I work, which has a metal roof. In fact, for my job I had to evaluate a GPS tracking device. I had to go outside to get it to work, yet my S4 had no issues inside.

I think your comments may have had some truth to them 4 or more years ago. But now that the hardware and software has matured, it is probably a non-issue.
I'm hoping its just how my phone was in my tank bag and partially blocked by my body, but in some testing with OSMAND on my Galaxy S4 Active, i had some surprising lose of signal between Waleska and Rydel GA on hwy 140. This was last weekend under light tree cover.

I've ordered an Aqua Box for it, so, i'm hoping once i get that and mount it on RAM mount on the bars, the signal will be better. It does pick up inside my house OK and never had an issue in my truck.

I'm really trying to keep from buying a montana or monterra if the phone will do it for me.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I use Navigon ($50?) on my iPhone5 in Lifeproof case (waterproof, shock resistant) in a RAM mount for street and dirt riding and even though I have a nice NUVI, I never use it anymore.

My first reason was laziness...when I went into a convenience store or restaurant I just wanted to grab one device from being possibly stolen, but then I found I could keep an eye on missed calls, texts, etc. more easily than if it was in my pocket, especially on "play hooky from work" days.

A good, dedicated gps will always do more, better. But I think for most of us a good smartphone with the right app or two is fine. With Navigon all the maps of the US and Canada are cached so you don't need a cell signal (hello West Virginia!) and for tens of thousands of lies I don't recall not getting a gps signal. The cached maps are also nice because you can use and program routes on airplanes or in buildings with no signal. For using tracks I use Motion GPX ($2?).

Also, I can play my music simultaneously with GPS voice guidance as when gps speaks up the music volume dims then recovers when the voice directions stop. One cord, one device. I guess there is the lack of redundancy liability but...

The only times I felt at a disadvantage is for really off the grid trails when a good track-capable unit is much better. For me that's rare, so I don't bother.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsburgGS View Post
I use Navigon ($50?) on my iPhone5 in Lifeproof case (waterproof, shock resistant) in a RAM mount for street and dirt riding and even though I have a nice NUVI, I never use it anymore.

My first reason was laziness...when I went into a convenience store or restaurant I just wanted to grab one device from being possibly stolen, but then I found I could keep an eye on missed calls, texts, etc. more easily than if it was in my pocket, especially on "play hooky from work" days.

A good, dedicated gps will always do more, better. But I think for most of us a good smartphone with the right app or two is fine. With Navigon all the maps of the US and Canada are cached so you don't need a cell signal (hello West Virginia!) and for tens of thousands of lies I don't recall not getting a gps signal. The cached maps are also nice because you can use and program routes on airplanes or in buildings with no signal. For using tracks I use Motion GPX ($2?).

Also, I can play my music simultaneously with GPS voice guidance as when gps speaks up the music volume dims then recovers when the voice directions stop. One cord, one device. I guess there is the lack of redundancy liability but...

The only times I felt at a disadvantage is for really off the grid trails when a good track-capable unit is much better. For me that's rare, so I don't bother.
Have you ever forgotten to take your phone with you when away from the bike? That's my biggest fear.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #25
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I have successfully used a older smartphone as a beater phone (motorola droid razr with otterbox) mounted in a x-ram mount for navigation, internet, music and such. Screen large enough for maps.

I was tethering data (wifi) to the beater phone from my daily smartphone (galaxy note 2) which was safely tucked in the tank bag, to make the setup work.

It's a win-win IMHO. The older phone is fast enough to render maps, POI's, internet and such while being exposed to sunlight, vibrations, overheating and such dangers while my "main" phone is safely stored.

Also, if anything happens to the older, beater phone, no biggie. It's old enough that doesn't have much monetary value, and I have the main phone as backup.

Only disadvantage would be the need for two chargers, but on the up side if one charger clunks out, you have the second one in a pinch.

Food for thought.

ReubenRN
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #26
Jim03R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Android

My two issues would be the overheating of my S4 phone and using up all my data. On my last road trip from Oklahoma to Seattle using my phone as our nav it would overheat sometimes, but I think I'm going to try to duct some air to the otter box. As for useing my data I just read about a GPS antenna that bluetooths to your phone so your nav will use it and not my data. I'm going to do a little more reading on it, if I do get it I'll write up a report. It's called Xgps160.
Jim03R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I just spoke with someone from Garmin on the phone about using my phone as a GPS device. He said to purchase an App called Navigon. He said even with the app installed that Basecamp would not recognize the device to send and receive files to and from the phone to PC.
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #28
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Isn't it a little naive to ask advice from the company battling being displaced by Smartphone GPS apps?

NAVIGON is a Garmin company.

Sent from Windows Phone, using Tapatalk.
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #29
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim03R View Post
My two issues would be the overheating of my S4 phone and using up all my data. On my last road trip from Oklahoma to Seattle using my phone as our nav it would overheat sometimes, but I think I'm going to try to duct some air to the otter box. As for useing my data I just read about a GPS antenna that bluetooths to your phone so your nav will use it and not my data. I'm going to do a little more reading on it, if I do get it I'll write up a report. It's called Xgps160.
There are dozens of apps that install the map data on your phone directly. Then that will not consume data while you travel, plus the phone runs much cooler (though the bright display still gets a warm).
No idea what you mean about the GPS antenna and Bluetooth to not use data. Your S4 has a GPS and Glonass system built in that will out perform the Xgps160. Turning on the Bluetooth to talk to that Xgps160 thing will just use more battery in the phone. And the GPS has nothing to do with 'using all of the data'.
Install CoPilot or OSMand+, copy the maps while on WiFi, enjoy without using data. Worry less about overheating.

Digging more into the spec, the 160 also has Glonass. Still, it is redundant and a waste of time for the S4.

worwig screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 05:00 PM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #30
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,085
[/QUOTE]
Install CoPilot or OSMand+, copy the maps while on WiFi, enjoy without using data. Worry less about overheating.

Digging more into the spec, the 160 also has Glonass. Still, it is redundant and a waste of time for the S4.[/QUOTE]

I was pretty disappointed with co pilot trying to route me 100 miles out of the way over the weekend. No clue what the problem was. It set to go the fastest route. Makes me not want to trust it for goi g A->B which is what its purpose is for me.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 07:09 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote