ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #31
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
I was pretty disappointed with co pilot trying to route me 100 miles out of the way over the weekend. No clue what the problem was. It set to go the fastest route. Makes me not want to trust it for goi g A->B which is what its purpose is for me.
Was that on and iPhone or Android.
I've heard people with iPhones say they were disappointed in CoPilot. But on Android it has always worked well for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #32
Jim03R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Overheating

Don't know what cool running phone you have but most cell phone batteries do run hot plus in a otter box doesn't help, so any type of ventilation will help. And there was many spots where I wasn't getting a gps signal so hopefully the antenna will help and would not be a waste of time like the money spent on a app that can't pick up a signal. But you are correct on data usage.
Jim03R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #33
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I was pretty disappointed with co pilot trying to route me 100 miles out of the way over the weekend. No clue what the problem was. It set to go the fastest route. Makes me not want to trust it for goi g A->B which is what its purpose is for me.[/QUOTE]

Did you have all of the relevant state maps downloaded? I've had an instance where Sygic (another GPS) detoured me pretty bad, only to find I was missing Ohio, which the most direct route just barely clipped on the way to my destination. Routing was 'fixed' when I downloaded the Ohio Map in motel parking lot. :)

Sent from Windows Phone, using Tapatalk.
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #34
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Smartphones vv GPS?

I use a TomTom Rider V which is excellent. Switched off the sound, I use the GPS only for view navigation. The Rider is specially designed for use on motorbikes (like the Garmin Zumo).

Its touch screen is designed for use with motorcycle gloves. I can't see me operating a smartphone wearing motorcycle gloves...

Pricy - 300 - but with live time map updates and IQ routes. Its feature 'Choose Twistiest Road' is simply brilliant. The cheaper Go and/or One are just as good (only not waterproof, don't have 'twisties' option and are less shock resistant).

Smartphones can be used for navigation just as good. No doubt about that. But I don't think that the use during the ride is as ergonomic as on a conventional GPS.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #35
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Was that on and iPhone or Android.
I've heard people with iPhones say they were disappointed in CoPilot. But on Android it has always worked well for me.
Android.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
I was pretty disappointed with co pilot trying to route me 100 miles out of the way over the weekend. No clue what the problem was. It set to go the fastest route. Makes me not want to trust it for goi g A->B which is what its purpose is for me.

Did you have all of the relevant state maps downloaded? I've had an instance where Sygic (another GPS) detoured me pretty bad, only to find I was missing Ohio, which the most direct route just barely clipped on the way to my destination. Routing was 'fixed' when I downloaded the Ohio Map in motel parking lot. :)

Sent from Windows Phone, using Tapatalk.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I just double checked and I had an update, so I'll try that and see if its better. Still, the only reason I noticed was that I know the area and just knew it was sending me the long way.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #37
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,658
I think it would be the cat's meow if they acutally made a large screen flexible and water proof that could fit in a tank bag. or something with a thin larger touch screen which could be mounted up higher on the bars.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #38
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I think it would be the cat's meow if they acutally made a large screen flexible and water proof that could fit in a tank bag. or something with a thin larger touch screen which could be mounted up higher on the bars.
http://youtu.be/srS3Y6Ofhwc
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #39
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Install CoPilot or OSMand+, copy the maps while on WiFi, enjoy without using data. Worry less about overheating.

Digging more into the spec, the 160 also has Glonass. Still, it is redundant and a waste of time for the S4.

Most of the time it does a pretty good job, but yes, occasionally it just doesn't make sense.. First, check your vehicle settings. 'Automobile' will route different from 'Motorcycle' on both the short and fastest options. Set as 'auto, fastest' it will almost always want to route via Interstates even if it means a quite a bit more distance. You can customize this somewhat by selecting the 'Custom Road Speeds' under 'Vehicle Preferences'. From there, you can set your preference on road types as well as speed settings. By experimenting with this, you can customize the routing. Still, there is no substitute for your own route planning. CP makes that quite easy as well with 'drag route' or 'route through here' options..
Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #40
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
I'm thinking a different direction. Voice control, heads up display, screw having a mounted device that you have to interact with your hand.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #41
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I'm thinking a different direction. Voice control, heads up display, screw having a mounted device that you have to interact with your hand.
There's a couple of options out there already for that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rcycle-helmets

http://www.skullyhelmets.com/

And google glass.

<eta: http://www.geek.com/android/biker-mo...splay-1555035/
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend

Chisenhallw screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 11:50 AM
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #42
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

Wow, I like that Nuviz HUD. The Skully's interesting, but I don't want to be tied to their helmet.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #43
mjd250xcw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
GPS No Brainer

I use An Iphone 5 with the GAIA GPS app. I can not say enough good about it. I have been using it for about 14 months now and was using it with my 4S iphone accuracy is the same but the 5S is much faster for sure. Like another rider said about all the different equipment phone, camera, cam corder, on and on for his ride needs. Thats what made me try the Iphone, one device to do everything and it does. It has short comings for sure like taking off your gloves all the time. They all have short comings. I think the GAIA GPS pro app was $20.00, when I upgraded phones I went with 32Gigs of storage. Thats all I have invested. It does everything that the rest do with more convenience.
That's my 2 cents worth now go out and enjoy, I will this week is SW Florida.
mjd250xcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #44
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Anybody have a recommendation on a cheap waterproof android phone to use for bike nav exclusively?
thinking something on ebay or craigslist.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #45
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Anybody have a recommendation on a cheap waterproof android phone to use for bike nav exclusively?
thinking something on ebay or craigslist.
I had one of the first models years ago. Great phone washed it in the sink a few times a week.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/b...dId=dev440051#

samsung galaxy note 2
Chad05gsa is offline   Reply With Quote