ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #61
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
iPhone in Mongolia...

I am planning a Mongolia trip this year and am trying to go as light as possible.

What GPS program would you recommend for the iPhone while over there. I am mostly interested in topo and town locations for fuel/supplies, as well as basic navigation.

Thanks,

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #62
Lee R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I replaced my garmin's after trying out my 10" Samsung tablet on the bike. I now use a smaller 7" Nexus which is a much better option IMO. A smartphone will work fine. Waterproof cases are available for rain or something like the Sony Xperia line which are waterproof devices.

I use a RAM mount for the bike and for aircraft (I use them in planes too).

I use OSMAND+ for road routes and Backcountry Navigator Pro for anything offroad. Either of them can offline huge areas (like the entire country) memory is the only limit.

OSMAND has a very detailed set of maps and you can edit them as it's opensource. I've fixed some roads that were listed as paved when they were dirt for example. It's weakness is autorouting which I don't use. It's an easy process to research and create a route on google maps then copy the link from the browser address bar into gpsvisualizer.com which will output the google map you just made into .gpx. I then dropbox that file and load it to my tracks folder on the tablet. It's a very fast and efficient process for routes.

Backcountry Navigator is one of the best apps for topo and satellite data. You can offline a huge selection of topo's at various scales, with shading or without and with/without road name overlays. You can also offline satellite imagery, for about 25 dollars. It blows away everything else I've used from Garmin or Delorme.

Here is a video I made last summer, mostly demonstrating OSMAND but has some of the satellite imagery from Backcountry Navigator. Either will accept gpx files and routes. Backcountry is very much a replacement for a garmin gps for the outdoors. Keep in mind this is a first gen Galaxy tab (3 years old) and the new Nexus runs all of this liquid smooth.

Sorry, none of the embed codes seem to want to work for me, here's the link:
http://youtu.be/lPrctiPwads

Lee R screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 11:06 AM
Lee R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #63
Gfeldy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Mounts

Not sure if you guys have seen this but Rockform makes a few different bike mounts for a couple smart phones.

http://www.rokform.com/motorcycle-mounts/

I have a feeling the smart phone will be fine for most people, as long as you aren't in the middle of nowhere
Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #64
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
How will a smartphone work as a GPS outside of range?
Out here in the boonies of Montana cell coverage is, uhm, sketchy
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #65
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,359
If your phone has a stand alone GPS, and the maps are downloaded on your phone, no cell signal is needed.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #66
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
Thanks for asking. Don't just assume it can't be done as some people do.

Virtually all smartphones have a full GPS chipset in them. Some even also include Glonass satellite receivers. There may be a few smartphones that do not have the GPS, but I can't name any.
Most tablets also have GPS chipsets. Some, like some iPad WiFi only, do not. But most do.
Most people use their smartphone GPS for something like a Google map. Then, if you are out of cell tower range, you can't get Google maps to work, so people assume you have to have a cell tower for it to work.
But typical smartphones have storage, and there are app that you can lot onto them, that include the maps. Once you have the app and maps loading on the phone, you no longer need a cell signal.

So there are some exceptions, but basically you install an app on your phone and it works offline.

worwig screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:38 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #67
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Your 'smartphone' is really a GPS unit with an Operating System and a phone chip added..

It is always a GPS, it only works as a phone when you have cell coverage..!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #68
sasho
Dual Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Your 'smartphone' is really a GPS unit with an Operating System and a phone chip added..

It is always a GPS, it only works as a phone when you have cell coverage..!
A real GPS, or A-GPS, needing triangulation assist from cell towers in order to get a fix on position?

Plus, when out of range, how does it pull appropriate maps since there is no data connection?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #69
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
A real GPS, or A-GPS, needing triangulation assist from cell towers in order to get a fix on position?

Plus, when out of range, how does it pull appropriate maps since there is no data connection?
A lot of the phones nowadays have actual GPS chips inside them. These GPS chips communicate with satellites directly.

When you open your map app on your phone, the GPS inside knows the lat/long location. But, because the overlay (the map imagery) isn't stored in your phone, you don't see anything unless you're hooking up to wifi/3g and getting maps downloaded onto your phone as you move around. So, if you actually moved around with a half loaded map, the blue dot would move aswell. It's just that the map images aren't there.

You can download application that provide full maps to you. Like MotionX or Navigon. They store the whole maps on your phone. So, you don't need a cell/data signal. The GPS chip talks talks to satellites to affix your lat/long. The app takes this info and places you on the stored maps.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #70
sasho
Dual Personality

I just played a bit with my phone--by smartphone standarts an ancient Nokia N900, but I just love the damn thing...

I pulled out the SIM card, and i still got a lock in 12 minutes. I remember in the past waiting close to 20-30 minutes to get a position fix without cell signal.

I'd have to play a bit with the maps--I have Modrana installed and Sygic downloaded as well.

When I tried to use it in Europe it didn't fare very well... I might get a newer Android unit and give it a chance.

Where I find a GPS unit absolutely invaluable is in cities... Especially in European cities, I get lost in no time and it takes a lot of time to get out.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #71
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
It is also possible to cache a good sized area (much less if it is urban) using Google maps before heading out and that will work too when you lose coverage. My Samsung Rugby Pro works well as a GPS in a car but the screen is way too small and dim to be useful on an MC on a sunny day so I still use my Nuvi 500 for that...the Rugby Pro is a good ruggedized phone but would definitely NOT recommend it for MC GPS use
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #72
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:

I covered that above, did you read it?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #73
sasho
Dual Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I covered that above, did you read it?
I saw your reply after posting the question, thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,991
this says no
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping...phone-for-gps/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #75
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
From that survey:
"Misconceptions about Smartphones requiring a cell signal for GPS"

In other words, some number of those that responded against using a cell phone are ignorant and clueless.