ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #76
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
I think its going to be more a transition over for traditional gps users. As there expensive GPS dies, they just won't buy another. Of course, those riders (and hikers, boaters, dog walkers, geocachers etc) that never owned a real gps, will just use the device they already own.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #77
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
From that survey:
"Misconceptions about Smartphones requiring a cell signal for GPS"

In other words, some number of those that responded against using a cell phone are ignorant and clueless.
There's a lot of those people right here on ADV. In almost every thread about cell phones, there's some dumbass that pipes up about having no GPS when there's no cell service.

The ignorant masses are just that, ignorant. That's the reason they tend to stick with what they know. Mainly because they don't know ANY BETTER.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #78
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
some phones have only Glonass (older phones) or Glonass & GPS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ASS_Navigation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_navigation#GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
A lot of the phones nowadays have actual GPS chips inside them. These GPS chips communicate with satellites directly.

When you open your map app on your phone, the GPS inside knows the lat/long location. But, because the overlay (the map imagery) isn't stored in your phone, you don't see anything unless you're hooking up to wifi/3g and getting maps downloaded onto your phone as you move around. So, if you actually moved around with a half loaded map, the blue dot would move aswell. It's just that the map images aren't there.

You can download application that provide full maps to you. Like MotionX or Navigon. They store the whole maps on your phone. So, you don't need a cell/data signal. The GPS chip talks talks to satellites to affix your lat/long. The app takes this info and places you on the stored maps.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #79
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I know of at least 3 on that list that actually have BOTH. so I'm sure there are a bunch more that do as well. That list is not an either or list. Simply a list of the phones that have GLONASS

Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #80
MX2ADV
MX2ADV

Oddometer: 30
I'm in transition with GPS on my bike. I want to ditch the Garmin and use my Galaxy S-4 exclusively for navigating but I have had disappointing results retracing tracks (when hiking) that I collected with my Garmin 60cx and I know to be good tracks. Basically, when retracing the track the S-4 always plots a considerable distance off the track. Could be a software issue but I think that the Waas-enabled Garmin GPS just outputs much better quality positions and tracks. Need to do more testing, especially on the bike.
MX2ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #81
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2ADV View Post
I'm in transition with GPS on my bike. I want to ditch the Garmin and use my Galaxy S-4 exclusively for navigating but I have had disappointing results retracing tracks (when hiking) that I collected with my Garmin 60cx and I know to be good tracks. Basically, when retracing the track the S-4 always plots a considerable distance off the track. Could be a software issue but I think that the Waas-enabled Garmin GPS just outputs much better quality positions and tracks. Need to do more testing, especially on the bike.
What software?
What is the distance error?

I don't think Waas adds much correction. And the S4 with GPS & Glonass appears to be the most accurate system that I have ever used. I would suspect that the software you are using isn't doing the math to translate the points accurately.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #82
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,252
S4 is my next upgrade in a couple of months. I'd be interested to know what software he is using as well.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #83
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Hey...I'm one of those dumbasses!!!! My flip phone is on it's last leg. my GPS has been tits up for over a year and i just replaced it this week with a dry erase marker for my windshield. some one advised me to buy an old laptop to use at the campgrounds and continue as usual. But this samsung smart phone appears to replace my gps and a laptop...but what about music? i don't want streaming as that will cost a fortune (i think). can i load my music off my computer into the S4? if so, will it bluetooth into my scala rider Q2? I don't even know how to send a text msg!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #84
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Hey...I'm one of those dumbasses!!!! My flip phone is on it's last leg. my GPS has been tits up for over a year and i just replaced it this week with a dry erase marker for my windshield. some one advised me to buy an old laptop to use at the campgrounds and continue as usual. But this samsung smart phone appears to replace my gps and a laptop...but what about music? i don't want streaming as that will cost a fortune (i think). can i load my music off my computer into the S4? if so, will it bluetooth into my scala rider Q2? I don't even know how to send a text msg!
You can load music, video, pictures, and more, into the device memory. It also has a memory slot. You can load up a memory chip (micro SD) and just plug it in.
Just as you can load the map data (and a map program) onto it.
Yes it should stream you music , GPS notification and phone calls to the bluetooth headset.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #85
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
so i'm looking at the galaxy S4. is there a better phone to research?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #86
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
IMO, nope. Unless you want to wait for the S5.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #87
MX2ADV
MX2ADV

Quote:
What software?
What is the distance error?

I don't think Waas adds much correction. And the S4 with GPS & Glonass appears to be the most accurate system that I have ever used. I would suspect that the software you are using isn't doing the math to translate the points accurately.
So far I've tried Track Navigator app on the s4 and imported my Garmin .gpx track. The errors I'm seeing are intermittent but sometimes as much as 50-60 feet (estimated). I totally disagree about waas. Handheld dedicated gps units could not get the 2-3 meter accuracy that they routinely get without it, especially in the woods. But, I hear you about the software. This thread has given me some ideas about other apps to try.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #88
MX2ADV
MX2ADV

Quote:
You can load music, video, pictures, and more, into the device memory. It also has a memory slot. You can load up a memory chip (micro SD) and just plug it in.
Just as you can load the map data (and a map program) onto it.
Yes it should stream you musical , GPS notification and phone calls to the bluetooth headset.
+1. I have hundreds of CDs worth of music with room to spare on my 32gb Micro sd in my s4. Bluetooth works great with my Sena SMH10 as well for music, phone etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #89
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Not IMHO.
If you wait months, and pay more, there is the new not yet released S5. It is water resistant which is a big plus. But then there is also a water resistant version of the S4 that you may want to look into.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #90
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2ADV View Post
It wouldn't surprise me that a dedicated GPS could give slightly better accuracy under challenging conditions (tree canopy, atmospheric conditions, limited satellite availability, etc..). The biggest advantage would be in the antennae which really helps under these conditions. Better isolation of the electronics (to limit interference) can also help as does the quality of the GPS chipset used. And of course, the software can make a difference. But generally, the difference is within a few meters and not significant for navigation. For mapping applications, accuracy is much more important and where many of the consumer grade dedicated units also fall short. I've seen a lot variability in PDA's, smartphones, etc., but it is difficult to pin-point specifically the cause without doing a side-by-side comparison.