ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #91
MX2ADV
MX2ADV

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
It wouldn't surprise me that a dedicated GPS could give slightly better accuracy under challenging conditions (tree canopy, atmospheric conditions, limited satellite availability, etc..). The biggest advantage would be in the antennae which really helps under these conditions. Better isolation of the electronics (to limit interference) can also help as does the quality of the GPS chipset used. And of course, the software can make a difference. But generally, the difference is within a few meters and not significant for navigation. For mapping applications, accuracy is much more important and where many of the consumer grade dedicated units also fall short. I've seen a lot variability in PDA's, smartphones, etc., but it is difficult to pin-point specifically the cause without doing a side-by-side comparison.
Yeah, I'm not too surprised, either, that I'm seeing a difference between the s4 and the Garmin. But the scale of the difference did surprise me. For navigating on highways the disparity is not too important because you would probably not see it when you're zoomed out anyway. For navigating on single or double-track trail, I hope to do better.
Not giving up yet, though. I just downloaded copilot app on the s4 and hope to do some testing this weekend on my mountain bike.
MX2ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #92
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
A lot of the phones nowadays have actual GPS chips inside them. These GPS chips communicate with satellites directly.

When you open your map app on your phone, the GPS inside knows the lat/long location. But, because the overlay (the map imagery) isn't stored in your phone, you don't see anything unless you're hooking up to wifi/3g and getting maps downloaded onto your phone as you move around. So, if you actually moved around with a half loaded map, the blue dot would move aswell. It's just that the map images aren't there.

You can download application that provide full maps to you. Like MotionX or Navigon. They store the whole maps on your phone. So, you don't need a cell/data signal. The GPS chip talks talks to satellites to affix your lat/long. The app takes this info and places you on the stored maps.

Strictly speaking, the GPS chip doesn't "talk" to a satellite. It doesn't "communicate" with a satellite. The GPS sends no signal. It only receives a signal.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #93
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Strictly speaking, the GPS chip doesn't "talk" to a satellite. It doesn't "communicate" with a satellite. The GPS sends no signal. It only receives a signal.
Don't ruin it. I like the idea of my phone talking to the satellites.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #94
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
If the GPS(receiver) is receiving then the (GPS) satellite is communicating with the GPS(receiver). The direction of information (communication) is from the satellite(transmitter) to the receiver. Same as satellite TV.

---------------
There are many different flavors of the galaxy S4.
I'm buying the S4 mini i9192. I want the 4 band GSM and the 4 band 3G, and the microSD storage (meaning it cannot be water proof).. and the GPS stuff, wifi. Not worried about 4G, bluetooth, IR. Having said that the buletooth and IR may be useful. You need to go through what you want and then select one.
One hint I've had on smartphone use .. in remote areas - go into 'airplane' mode and then enable the GPS - cuts battery drain by turning off the phone, wifi and bluetooth. But leaves you with mapping stuff.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #95
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
thanks for the replies. now i've got to research verison. verison works in the smokies but att does not.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #96
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
thanks for the replies. now i've got to research verison. verison works in the smokies but att does not.
If you mean Verizon. Or VZW... Yes, it work betters in the Smokies. But it too has large dead spots. Most of New Found gap road has no signal between Cherokee and Gatlinburg. There are no cell towers in the park. Just the way it is going to be. A few spots along the Blue Ridge between Cherokee and Asheville are dead too. But it isn't to bad.
I have had VZW for many years and I prefer it. But at this point now, if I were looking at is for a fresh start, I would decide between ATT and VZW based on price. I think ATT would win now as they are catching up. And ATT often as newer phones. They carry the waterproof S4.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #97
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
To the OP's original question, see this article I wrote (pardon some of the typos):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...h-tablets.html

I believe that small tablets will be taking over. This said I've setup an old iphone for my bike lately using Pilo's rally blitz app as my ODO.

I think old, cloogy GPS units are going to be history other than unusual circumstances. Biggest thing is the shitty user interface of these - super confusing and crappy experience. Android will be the most powerful version especially with new tough tablets coming out.

You still need somewhat of a disposable unit so your $400+ phone isn't damaged. Which is why I won't use my iphone 5.
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 AM   #98
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
did the bar graph confuse you ? 2/3 of people said yes, they are switching to phone based navigation .

:cool:
Old 02-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #99
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

also, I regularly track rides in fairly deep woods with my phone. my buddies do the same with phone/GPS standalones. overlaying the tracks to compare accuracy later (gpsies/gpxviewer) shows very little variance.

the easiest way to make a phone look like its inaccurate is to change the polling time to 5 minutes, them the track is very jagged, jerky. with reasonable polling times (5sec) it will lay a nice smooth track that anyone can follow easily. single track, double, fireroads, whatever. unless you're doing 115mph in single track with a twelve way split in the trail head coming up, I don't understand the problem.

I used 5 seconds polling on the last track I captured for an upcoming 30+ rider event. over 86 miles of forestry roads and -deleted for safety-, there is one oddity on the track, and it's a waypoint... see if you hold the way point after creating it, this one application allows you to move the waypoint, drag/drop to a new location. in those 86 miles, this was the only problem, and it was user generated.

the only issue I've had with tracking is in heavy cover, ravines, and rock walls.

ohgood screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:38 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #100
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
Will phones automatically adjust polling frequency, or is that up to the software used?

Anyone use Waze?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #101
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Will phones automatically adjust polling frequency, or is that up to the software used?

Anyone use Waze?
you can set it in some applications that do tracking.

just about 1/2 of everyone that likes Facebook likes Waze. it's very popular.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #102
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Waze

Quote:

Anyone use Waze?
I like Waze. My brother drives the LA freeways every day and swears by it. I used it on a visit with him and was impressed by its ability to change the recommended route based on traffic reports from users.

I also used it in Germany when my other Nav apps had problems.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #103
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Anyone use Waze?
I've been using Waze for a long time... unfortunately, few others around me are so I never get to benefit from crowd sourced traffic reports, for example.

Now that Google owns them, I was hoping it'd get a better but it hasn't. Still no gas stations showing, for example. Tons of map errors that never get fixed despite me reporting them multiple times.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #104
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
If the GPS(receiver) is receiving then the (GPS) satellite is communicating with the GPS(receiver). The direction of information (communication) is from the satellite(transmitter) to the receiver. Same as satellite TV.

Are you a flight attendant? Communication implies a conversation to some people. Some flight attendants want you to put your gps away because they think it "communicates with satellites." It isn't a communication device. There's no security risk to using it on an airplane.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #105
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I've been using Waze for a long time...
I tried it once, but couldn't get past the cartoonish nature of the app. Maybe, I should give it another try.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote