ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Pedaler OP
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 80
Custom Kickstand Relocator 950/990

I really want the CJ's style. I don't mind so much spending the grip But iv'e tried to get one a few times over the last few months to no avail. I guess the'll be back in stock in a few more months but I'm not a patient man. I was thinking about welding a bracket to the frame. Is there a reason why this wasn't done from the factory? I thought at I may have seen this done on one of the mega epic 950/990 rebuild threads? Any Ideas?
the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaler View Post
I really want the CJ's style. I don't mind so much spending the grip But iv'e tried to get one a few times over the last few months to no avail. I guess the'll be back in stock in a few more months but I'm not a patient man. I was thinking about welding a bracket to the frame. Is there a reason why this wasn't done from the factory? I thought at I may have seen this done on one of the mega epic 950/990 rebuild threads? Any Ideas?
The original 950 Rally has a welded side stand, Pyndon and Hair have done a similar, probably the best permanent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
1) Disconnect battery and ECU

2) Weld casings neatly from outside

3) replace sidestand to where it should have been in the first place as shown below.........

The Result.......

Or do it first before you break your casing (for those of you reading this that have not done it yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
A good solution in my opinion is Hair’s mod or the original 950R’s, welded to the foot peg support area. Without welding all the other side stand modifications are compromises, including my own. For me, the ultimate scenario is damage limitation, I spent quite some time thinking about this, material, size and fixing points, also the location, having the side stand in the original location but not attached to the engine case still leaves it out of the way, with only the leg and foot exposed to an off/fall, unlike attaching it to the foot peg location. Also not too strong as to be eliminating all weak points and damaging the frame etc. My SE plate does as I intended it to do.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
Pedaler OP
Shop Rag

Right on!

Thanks Charlie264 I scanned pin's mega post again I guess I missed it.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
That is indeed a generous post from Charlie264 as he manufactures and sells quality side stand re-locators of his own design, though he didn't think to mention it!
Good man!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
That is indeed a generous post from Charlie264 as he manufactures and sells quality side stand re-locators of his own design, though he didn't think to mention it!
Good man!
Well he has in the signature but could have pushed it even more but getting others to push is maybe more effective? =)

Had a weld on solution similar to above but no support so it bent to easy, ended up with a custom build from a small batch of bolt on relocators from a guy in Sweden that worked well.

That also relocated the sidestand behind the footpeg.

Had not seen yours Charlie when ordering for the new 990R.

Would you say its safe and will hold up when using the footpeg to climb up onto the bike all the time?

Blackdog dont recommend it, is that steel also? Or aluminum?

That is why I went CJ but would have loved to keep it in the stock position ...but have by now ground away some material to make it swing up higher so going back to stock location might not be possible anymore.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Well he has in the signature but could have pushed it even more but getting others to push is maybe more effective? =)

Had a weld on solution similar to above but no support so it bent to easy, ended up with a custom build from a small batch of bolt on relocators from a guy in Sweden that worked well.

That also relocated the sidestand behind the footpeg.

Had not seen yours Charlie when ordering for the new 990R.

Would you say its safe and will hold up when using the footpeg to climb up onto the bike all the time?

Blackdog dont recommend it, is that steel also? Or aluminum?

That is why I went CJ but would have loved to keep it in the stock position ...but have by now ground away some material to make it swing up higher so going back to stock location might not be possible anymore.

/Johan
I bent this part like a banana. 9.

The bike was fully loaded and I was half sat on the seat, I thought at the time it was just the foot sinking in the ground. So mounting the bike via foot peg etc, that's up to you....personally I don't because of previous experience. If any of the guys bend my re-locator....none to date....Its no big deal, better bending it then welding the case. Its all a compromise at the end of the day. Four separate companies are involved making my re-locater, none work for free.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...relocater.html

You'll find a few unbiased designers here who agree that welding is the best permanent option, myself included. Personally I didn't want to do that, I like to keep my bikes to put back original as possibly, also I like the idea of something that has a little give and doesn't transfer damage. You expect crash bars to bend and take the damage because they are easily replaceable, that's their job.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Pedaler OP
Shop Rag

Great info!

I sent you a PM Charlie.