ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #16
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Hey Mike, I sent you a PM.
I would like to meet up and ride when time allows.
I Have a plated Honda XR650R that I don't take out as much as I should.
Talk to you soon
Hey woodsxr.
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Let's ride. If you live in Hollister it should be easy to get together. I think I saw that you ride a Honda xr. I ride a Kawasaki KLR. Not the best dirt bike but it goes most anywhere. I like to explore areas I haven't been before so I am open to anywhere you would like to go. I've been to Hollister Hills many, many times so I'm open to that as well. Clear Creek would be great also. Mostly I just want to ride, but it is getting more difficult and dangerous for me to do so alone. PM me and we will make it happen. Thanks. Hope to hear from you. Mike C.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Cancer

I'm so glad to see so many riders still riding despite the cancer. As well as survivors riding.
I am also a survivor. In 1995 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. With treatment and surgery in 1996 I am now doing great.
Since my surgery have ridden and finished the Baja 1000 five times. Without the 3 other riders and our support crew it wouldn't have been possible. And at 65 , I'm doing it again in 2014.

Bronco Driver screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 06:08 AM
Bronco Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Riding with cancer.

To all of you on this thread.
Please forgive me for not greeting back to each of you. I haven't been feeling my best lately. Poor excuse! This coming Monday I go back to UCSF for treatment and an update. Should know more then. Right now I am fighting a cold. I know it sounds minor. In my type of cancer, since it attacks the bone marrow, I don't have much ability to fight off normally minor illness. So I have to be real careful. Something simple can quickly turn into something very serious.
Having said all that. I still want to ride. I much appreciate all your responses and willingness to include me in your rides. Just so you know my riding abilities are OK. It is if and when I lay it over, or break down, run out of gas I'm in trouble. I am too weak to be sure I will be able to get my bike upright again. I probably could not walk very far to get out if stranded. So by riding with someone I know I will have the help I need should something like that happen.
So woodsxr. Give me a call. Sounds like the perfect set up for us.
Bronco Driver. Keep up the adventures. You are an inspiration to us all. Good luck at Baja!
Pyxie. Congratulations on overcoming your challenges. Keep living life fully.
Hesaid. I'm still waiting and willing to ride with you. Here or there.
Pcvance. Hey Perry. How are you doing in your recovery? Well I hope. You have been in my prayers. Are you out riding again? Your riding group seems to rally around you very well. I would like to be part of that as much as possible.
Thanks again all. Please remember, there are many others like me/us out there in need of riding partners. Help them out and include them in your rides.
I don't live to ride, but I do ride to live. Mike C.

Mikengrace screwed with this post 02-01-2014 at 01:07 PM
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,317
In Prayers

Mike,

Good luck with your battle, you are in my prayers along with everyone else on this board that's battling cancer.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Mike,

Good luck with your battle, you are in my prayers along with everyone else on this board that's battling cancer.
Thank you refokus.
I truly believe prayers are what have kept me alive 3 years longer than I was initially given. Great forum by the way. Hope you don't mind if I try to promote its members helping others like me?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hi Mike, I sent you another message.
I don't get PM notification so I thought I would post.
Talk to you soon
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Quote:
Hi Mike, I sent you another message.
I don't get PM notification so I thought I would post.
Talk to you soon
Woodsxr

Let's not let this pass us by. Let's set up a ride. I am at Hazel Hawkins right now. But should be ok by tomarrow. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Man, I don't know how you guys keep riding dirt while battling cancer. My energy levels are so low, just walking somewhere wears me out! Plus I just plain feel shitty a lot.

Kudos to you all!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #24
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
Woodsxr

Let's not let this pass us by. Let's set up a ride. I am at Hazel Hawkins right now. But should be ok by tomarrow. Looking forward to meeting you.
Hi Mike, Looking forward to meeting and riding with you. Take care and I will talk with you soon.
Ken
Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Quote:
Hi Mike, Looking forward to meeting and riding with you. Take care and I will talk with you soon.
Ken
Thanks Ken. I to am looking forward to riding with you. I am currently in Hazel Hawkins hospital. My cancer makes me very susceptible to any and every flu, cold or virus running around. And when I get sick it is hard for my system to fight it. So it is quite dangerous. Plus they won't do my cancer treatments if I am sick. So I've been here since yesterday and won't get out in til at least tomarrow. Then I have to go up to the University of California San Francisco for my cancer treatment. So I probably can't ride until at least this Friday.
I have a new shock and fork springs on the way, that will finish out setting up my bike. The KLR.
Mike c.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey no rush.
My wife has severe RA and she is in the same boat because of the meds that they have her on. Can't be around anyone sick.
Are you doing the suspension work or someone else? I have a lift and most all needed tools if that helps.

woodsxr screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 06:25 PM
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Re: Help

Thanks Ken.
Yes I do plan on doing the work myself, and I also have a lift and all the tools. I would love having an extra set of hands and added experience if you were available, and willing. I have done the forks a few times so I'm very familiar with that. Although the shock seems to be straight forward I have not done that on this bike. It would be nice to have help and get to know you at the same time. This is all dependent on the parts arriving before this week end. So let me know if you are interested and I will keep you posted on their arrival.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #28
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
Thanks Ken.
Yes I do plan on doing the work myself, and I also have a lift and all the tools. I would love having an extra set of hands and added experience if you were available, and willing. I have done the forks a few times so I'm very familiar with that. Although the shock seems to be straight forward I have not done that on this bike. It would be nice to have help and get to know you at the same time. This is all dependent on the parts arriving before this week end. So let me know if you are interested and I will keep you posted on their arrival.
Hey Ken.
I just received a e-mail from the people building my shock. It was sent out today. So probably won't be here until Monday or Tuesday next week. I spent the last couple days in the hospital. Feeling better now, but still a bit weak. I can still ride this weekend if the weather is OK and you want too. But I won't be upset if we wait until it is here and on my bike. Would still like to meet up just for a short visit. Let me know what you think.
Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #29
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm hearing rain all weekend. Not sure how much but it will probably be too slick to enjoy much of Hollister Hills.
I will be around Sunday if you have time.
Who is building your shock?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Quote:
I'm hearing rain all weekend. Not sure how much but it will probably be too slick to enjoy much of Hollister Hills.
I will be around Sunday if you have time.
Who is building your shock?
Yes, that's what I've heard as well. Rain all weekend.
The company building my shock is called Cogent Dynamics, they are in
S. Carolina I think. They specialize in custom built shocks and fork set ups for adventure type bikes. Their products are first class, yet reasonably priced. I plan on being around Sunday as well, so give me a call if you want to get together.