ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Tracker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am also interested. Just curious what a uhaul would cost for a one-way trip back to Tellico Plains and how many guys could ride in the truck. Most only have two seats.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I am planning to be at RDV in May, that would be a good time to meet up!
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #18
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quick search of U haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker2 View Post
I am also interested. Just curious what a uhaul would cost for a one-way trip back to Tellico Plains and how many guys could ride in the truck. Most only have two seats.
20 footer from oklahoma , 800.00 plus. One way back to Knoxville, Tn for a rough idea . When i moved here in Tn from Mass a couple of years ago I paid about 1200 for a 26 foot. My dakar fit sideways and you could easily fit 6-8 bikes if they weren't BMW flat twins.
I know there was extra for taxes.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
NORBVR
Not so gnarly

Oddometer: 387
Lurking

***edited*** please enjoy the ride!

Peter

NORBVR screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 12:43 PM
NORBVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #20
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
20 footer from oklahoma , 800.00 plus. One way back to Knoxville, Tn for a rough idea . When i moved here in Tn from Mass a couple of years ago I paid about 1200 for a 26 foot. My dakar fit sideways and you could easily fit 6-8 bikes if they weren't BMW flat twins.
I know there was extra for taxes.
I got a quote for somewhere between $600-$700 for a U-Haul. We could rent a small car for the passengers if we have more than 3 riders. Six riders would be about the most cost-efficient group size. 2 in U-Haul, 4 in car.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
JayWNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I was thinking that it might be better to meet sooner, rather than later, to start the planning process and have time to work out the details. If we didn't meet until May and the plan was to leave in July, it wouldn't leave a lot of time to pull it all together.
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #22
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 291
Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWNC View Post
I was thinking that it might be better to meet sooner, rather than later, to start the planning process and have time to work out the details. If we didn't meet until May and the plan was to leave in July, it wouldn't leave a lot of time to pull it all together.
Agreed. Meeting up sometime in March or April to get a good game plan together would be best for me. And then doing the ride in July or August. Definitely not gonna need cold weather gear!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #23
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
I am planning to do one week on the TAT this summer, probably in June. Starting from Tellico Plains, TN and heading west. Probably Sunday-Friday on the trail. I am purchasing the maps.

My plan is to trailer my bike to somewhere near Tellico Plains on Saturday, and head out on Sunday. I think that reaching the Arkansas-Oklahoma border is a good goal for a one week trip, but if we get farther, or not that far, it's all the same to me. Then, we can rent a U-Haul at the end of the trip and trailer the bikes back to NC.

I am riding a KLX250S, and I really don't want to be heavily loaded down with camping and cooking supplies. In fact, I want to pack as light as possible. Once we get a confirmed group together, we can make sure we are not duplicating supplies, e.g., everyone doesn't need a set of tire irons on his or her bike. Being east of the Rockies, we'll never be more than about 30 miles from a motel, so I am planning to stay at a motel each night. Also I don't sleep particularly well on the ground, and I want to be able to enjoy the riding. So, it's a riding trip, not a camping trip.

I think that three or four would be the ideal number for this trip, but I'm open minded. Doctors and motorcycle mechanics get preference.
Tyler,

We rode Broxton DS together. One week TAT ride sounds great. I'd love to take enough time off to do the whole TAT but work and family commitments just will not allow that.... for now.

One week is doable. I have another inmate that maybe doing the same but in mid-May but July or Aug maybe better. I'd like to camp more to experience the TAT but I am flexible. Let me know when you guys plan to meet.

Jon
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #24
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Everyone, thanks again for the interest.

Planning is probably going to be pretty simple to do this trip. We'll never be too far from a Wal-Mart, gas, hotel, food, etc., so I don't see how we can really screw it up. Especially if each person carries at least one 30oz fuel bottle. In summer, it won't be dark until 8 - 9pm, so we can see where we are, and start thinking about what to do that night, around 5pm each day.

As far as camping goes, after giving it some more thought, I could probably do it without much extra packing. It does sound like fun. I might just get one of those camping hammocks. So let's not let camping vs. non-camping be a deal breaker.

But for me, the name of the game is "packing light." It is really easy to fall into the trap of carrying too much stuff. I just want to see some country.

We might not even need to make U-haul reservations beforehand - no matter how far we get, or where we decide to stop, we should be able to get to a rental place within 50 miles or so. I don't want to be on a rigid schedule of having to arrive at a certain place on a certain day. If we find ourselves making good time and we're in Oklahoma, so be it. If we get rained out or have bike issues and end up in western TN, so it goes.

This might be considered a good practice trip for doing the next third of the TAT, next year!

So, I think RDV would be a great time to get together.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #25
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Also it is looking like late July or early August will be best for me with my wife's work schedule.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #26
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Several folks have expressed interest in an earlier meetup than RDV in May. How about a weekend in March in Hot Springs, NC? My bike should be back together by then. We could have a good Saturday ride and discuss the trip at dinner. HS has good riding, accommodations and food. And beer.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #27
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,666
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

Ok, I will go ahead and announce a ride/meet-up in Hot Springs, NC, for the weekend of March 21-23, for those interested in the TAT trip, or anyone else for that matter who would like to do some riding. I realize this is close to the March Moto Madness weekend in Tellico Plains, but I have a conference that weekend.

I plan to head up there Friday afternoon and ride on Saturday. If anyone is interested, I can see if we can get a group rate at the Iron Horse Station. Also there is camping.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #29
TylerSC OP
Adventurer

http://tailofthedragon.com/HotSprings/day1.html
Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ . ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
Ok, I will go ahead and announce a ride/meet-up in Hot Springs, NC, for the weekend of March 21-23, for those interested in the TAT trip, or anyone else for that matter who would like to do some riding. I realize this is close to the March Moto Madness weekend in Tellico Plains, but I have a conference that weekend.

I plan to head up there Friday afternoon and ride on Saturday. If anyone is interested, I can see if we can get a group rate at the Iron Horse Station. Also there is camping.
Cool,by March I may have a plated bike and I like the HS area-just 30 miles from home.I may try and come up just to ride and drink beer,sounds like you may have enough already for the TAT week.
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote