ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #91
hairball29
Adventurer
 
hairball29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 81
Tents?

Is anyone else tent-camping? I wonder if it's worth getting a group site, or just stick to individual sites.

See you on Friday
hairball29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #92
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
One cabin spot is left. Reminder - cabins don't have linens, and you'll need sheets or a sleeping bag. Also bring towels.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #93
JayWNC
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Oddometer: 26
Tyler: I just wanted to say thanks for making arrangements for this- I'm looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend.

So I assume there is a campground bathroom on the premises with showers and toilets, but we will have to walk a short distance to it?

I see that there is apparently a campfire ring at each cabin? Maybe everyone could bring some firewood so we can all make a contribution to having a campfire to sit around while we drink refreshments both nights?

What time are you thinking you will be arriving on Friday?

Jay
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #94
scbob
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Landrum, Upstate SC
Oddometer: 76
Some ideas for the trails

It might be a little wet out there next weekend,
aaaannnnnddd Dave might bring his KTM

So this is probably what he has in mind.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIZ...e_gdata_player

Looking forward to a great weekend guys
scbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #95
35xj
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: asheville, nc
Oddometer: 904
haha, that guy's a bad ass!

its rained quite a bit this week so far, thinking some gravel/twisties Friday afternoon to see how wet it really is.
Got a couple of ideas for a Saturday ride.

and I think I am going to bring the big girl!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #96
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWNC View Post
Tyler: I just wanted to say thanks for making arrangements for this- I'm looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend.

So I assume there is a campground bathroom on the premises with showers and toilets, but we will have to walk a short distance to it?

I see that there is apparently a campfire ring at each cabin? Maybe everyone could bring some firewood so we can all make a contribution to having a campfire to sit around while we drink refreshments both nights?

What time are you thinking you will be arriving on Friday?

Jay
I think you are correct about the bathroom situation. I can bring some wood in my truck. I will either go up there Thursday night or Friday morning. My plan is to be there by lunchtime Friday at the latest.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #97
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
Let me remind everyone who is interested about my TAT plans, so we can discuss more in Hot Springs -

August, 2014. My plan is to trailer my bike from Columbia, SC, to someplace in TN near Tellico Plains where I can leave my truck. Then, head west on the TAT for a week. At the end, rent a U-Haul and drive the bikes back to TN.

If anyone can suggest a good, reasonably secure location to leave trucks and trailers, please say so as soon as possible. Or, if someone between Columbia and Tellico Plains has a pickup truck, then maybe I could leave my SUV and trailer at your house and we can ride up in your truck.

The basic idea here is that this is just supposed to be a fun week with no particular goals. My plan is to do some camping, but also some motel camping so I can get a shower and sleep in a bed every other night or so. I believe that everyone will have more fun by packing light. We should be able to obtain food as we go.

Please remember that I have never set foot on this trail, but my rough estimate is that we would get no farther than about Little Rock, Arkansas in a week. That is about an 8-hour interstate ride back to our starting point. I think the nearest U-Haul drop off is going to be around Maryville, TN, which is not far from Tellico Plains.

Tentative schedule is to start down the trail on Saturday around lunchtime, and be headed back in the U Haul the following Saturday. Probably spend the night in a hotel on Friday and leave for home very early Saturday morning.

I really don't have any interest in riding my 250 or 350 back home on knobbies, but if anyone else wants to ride home, it won't hurt my feelings.

If anyone has expertise in loading bikes into a U-Haul, that would be helpful. My vague idea is to just use a couple straps hooked to the wall of the trailer, but I'm not 100% sure that would work. I'm ok with just laying her down in the back if necessary, but I'm not riding a brand new GS or anything. If you ARE riding something that you wouldn't want to fall over in the back of a U-Haul, you might want to research it.

Also, if anyone wants to continue on down the trail, that's fine too! Or, if anyone wants to speed up way ahead, or stop for the day, it's all good! I'm not making a movie and there is no schedule. If this idea appeals to you, you are invited!
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #98
hairball29
Adventurer
 
hairball29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post

August, 2014. My plan is to trailer my bike from Columbia, SC, to someplace in TN near Tellico Plains where I can leave my truck. Then, head west on the TAT for a week. At the end, rent a U-Haul and drive the bikes back to TN.
Sounds fun. Which part of August are you thinking? My mother in law has planned a trip to Oregon, which, as the rules of MiLs dictate will likely interfere with my plans.

I am sincerely hoping that it does not clash. I guess i could ride on to Oregon!
hairball29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #99
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball29 View Post
Sounds fun. Which part of August are you thinking? My mother in law has planned a trip to Oregon, which, as the rules of MiLs dictate will likely interfere with my plans.

I am sincerely hoping that it does not clash. I guess i could ride on to Oregon!
It probably needs to be before my wife starts back teaching, so the first or second week in August.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #100
hairball29
Adventurer
 
hairball29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
It probably needs to be before my wife starts back teaching, so the first or second week in August.
That's when I was hoping
hairball29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #101
35xj
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: asheville, nc
Oddometer: 904
What's very body riding? Got us a your guide lined up who makes my knowledge of the area seem really limited!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #102
hairball29
Adventurer
 
hairball29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
what's very body riding? Got us a your guide lined up who makes my knowledge of the area seem really limited!
wr250r
hairball29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #103
trespalacios
Oh libertad
 
trespalacios's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
What's very body riding? Got us a your guide lined up who makes my knowledge of the area seem really limited!
DR650. Bringing the big girl?
__________________
13 KTM350 EXC "Katy"

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #104
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
what's very body riding? Got us a your guide lined up who makes my knowledge of the area seem really limited!
dr350
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #105
TylerSC OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: SC
Oddometer: 76
I am going to head up there this evening - not sure where I'm staying tonight but it'll be in Hot Springs. My cell phone # is 803-26 one-761 seven. I would like to do some riding as early as possible.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014