ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
mesopotamia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
1190 ADV : present/annoying vibration or not?

I read all the reviews on the web about the 1190 adv. Some reviews are mentioning that there is a present/annoying/excessive vibration that can be felt while crusing above 75mph/120kmh, mostly through the handlebars. Some reviews indicate that that vibration is present above 6000rpm. Some reviews dont mention anything about the vibration.

Reviews are nice, but what's the real life experience from 1190 owners?
mesopotamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
My demo ride confirmed that the 1190 does get a bit buzzy above 6k. There was no perceptible vibrations at 65-75 in 5th and 6th. This was my concern also. It was so smooth at hwy speeds, I was convinced to sell my 800XC and get an 1190. Under hard acceleration, the twin isn't as smooth as the triple. It just can't be. But I believe the 1190 will be a fantastic touring bike.

Tapatalk response filtered through the NSA.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
According to the speedo 6k is around 100 mph?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Its a motorcycle.....

vibrations over 6k....hahahahhaa.....

There will be wind and noise too....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Jimkatoom
Not a nOOb

Oddometer: 23
1190 vibration?

Well, I've had my 1190 for just a few days now, but I've been riding for 47 years, and ridden most everything out there, and had LOTS of my own bikes...
This is my 5th KTM ( 06 950 Adv S, 07 SuperDuke, 08 450 EXCR, 12 990SMT and now the 1190 R) and while not vibration "free" I'm glad it's not.
I've had relly smooth bikes ( the inline 4-cylinders come to mind )that lacked "personality" had no character and were ultimately uninspiring. So, I let them go.
I would get a faster bike, and a faster one, then a lighter one... What I found-for me-YMMV, was I like the gentle 'heartbeat' of V-twin bikes. Parallel twins buzz too much, flat (boxer-you know who you are) twins never really agreed with me, but Vs I like. Ducatis may have the most soul, but they're too high maintenance, parts take forever to get, and they don't make a proper Adv bike. Aprilias are very nice. Harley's have their place, but I'm not in that place. KTMs have the balance for me, of performance, handling, acceleration, off road-worthiness(the best!)light weight, and pleasing character, and the 1190 is by far the most refined katoom yet.
It's NOT as smooth as a gold wing or flat six Beemer, but those bikes don't do very well off road...and if THAT kind of smoothness is what you're after, or expecting, then perhaps you're on the wrong forum...
When the revs get high, and the pace picks up, I like to feel a motor working-not straining-working, and the 1190 really delivers. Sure there's a few vibes, but I like it!
See if you can find one somewhere to demo...
Btw, if you're above 6-6.5k on the tach, in sixth, you're going to be attracting the blue light special- unless of course you're on the German Autobahn... That was a real hoot on my Suzuki GS 1150 in the late 80's, when I was stationed over there...
That's just my 2-3 cents, you may have different criteria
Cheers,
J
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimkatoom View Post
Well, I've had my 1190 for just a few days now, but I've been riding for 47 years, and ridden most everything out there, and had LOTS of my own bikes...
This is my 5th KTM ( 06 950 Adv S, 07 SuperDuke, 08 450 EXCR, 12 990SMT and now the 1190 R) and while not vibration "free" I'm glad it's not.
I've had relly smooth bikes ( the inline 4-cylinders come to mind )that lacked "personality" had no character and were ultimately uninspiring. So, I let them go.
I would get a faster bike, and a faster one, then a lighter one... What I found-for me-YMMV, was I like the gentle 'heartbeat' of V-twin bikes. Parallel twins buzz too much, flat (boxer-you know who you are) twins never really agreed with me, but Vs I like. Ducatis may have the most soul, but they're too high maintenance, parts take forever to get, and they don't make a proper Adv bike. Aprilias are very nice. Harley's have their place, but I'm not in that place. KTMs have the balance for me, of performance, handling, acceleration, off road-worthiness(the best!)light weight, and pleasing character, and the 1190 is by far the most refined katoom yet.
It's NOT as smooth as a gold wing or flat six Beemer, but those bikes don't do very well off road...and if THAT kind of smoothness is what you're after, or expecting, then perhaps you're on the wrong forum...
When the revs get high, and the pace picks up, I like to feel a motor working-not straining-working, and the 1190 really delivers. Sure there's a few vibes, but I like it!
See if you can find one somewhere to demo...
Btw, if you're above 6-6.5k on the tach, in sixth, you're going to be attracting the blue light special- unless of course you're on the German Autobahn... That was a real hoot on my Suzuki GS 1150 in the late 80's, when I was stationed over there...
That's just my 2-3 cents, you may have different criteria
Cheers,
J
I second that. Once hooked on V-twins, that's it. I'm on my second Ducati. Yes, unfortunately they don't go well on dirt. But I also have a Tiger XC which is what I'm thinking of trading for an 1190. The triple motor is too smooth, it feels odd riding that bike on dirt. Maybe one day we will all be riding electric bikes, I dread that time. The Tiger XC gives me that idea, as it is electric smooth, but that is not what I'm looking for on a motorcycle. In-line fours are horrible, they are smooth but buzzy... I like a motorcycle with a pulsing heart under power.

I recommend reading the book "Bodies in Motion" by Steven Thompson. Motorcycling is all about the vibes! But different people like different vibes...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
mesopotamia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Comparing to the 990, would you say it vibrates more, less or equal?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesopotamia View Post
Comparing to the 990, would you say it vibrates more, less or equal?
Have you ridden a 990?

No one should buy a motorcycle without test riding it first. Especially when they are expensive. All motorcycles vibrate. I recommend you test ride the 1190 and then come up with your own conclusion whether you think it vibrates or not. It changes from person to person, it is more subjective than you can imagine. That's why the reviews differ from one another.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
It's called a motor.

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
mesopotamia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
It's called a motor.
Are you serious? Wow, I'm impressed!

That said, I'm always surprised by answers like that. Don't know if people think they are funny, or maybe they think we are stupid to ask questions like that on vibration. Recognizing that all bikes vibrates at some level because you sit on an engine is one thing, but completely ignoring that some bikes vibrates more or much more than others is another thing. What's wrong with asking the level of vibration of a particular bike to owners? If someone think the question is stupid or irrelevant, well just don't spend time answering it. But I'm sure that some people understand the interest of the question and want to share their experience. Thanks a lot to them.

mesopotamia screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:52 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
mesopotamia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Have you ridden a 990?
My previous bike was a 990, that's why I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
No one should buy a motorcycle without test riding it first. Especially when they are expensive. All motorcycles vibrate. I recommend you test ride the 1190 and then come up with your own conclusion whether you think it vibrates or not. It changes from person to person, it is more subjective than you can imagine. That's why the reviews differ from one another.

That's obvious. But the whole point of a forum like this is people exchanging on their experience. I will not base my choice only on other people comments, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting to know what are the 1190 owners - people who lived with the bike for weeks or months - experience.

That said, there will be a shortage of 1190 R at my dealer (I need to buy there because I have a tx return). All their 1190 R are already sold and almost all the R that will be arriving in the spring are presold. I will test ride a 1190 in march, but there is a good chance that there will be only std model available for 2014 if I decide to buy only after my test ride in the spring.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
If the vibes bother you there are lots of easy things to do. Fill the bars, bar end weights, risers with rubber mounts, or grip puppys to name a few

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
mountain36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
If the vibes bother you there are lots of easy things to do. Fill the bars, bar end weights, risers with rubber mounts, or grip puppys to name a few
Agree, but on vibey bikes, vibrations can also be felt through the seat and the footpegs.

That said, I'm also curious to know how the 1190 compares to the 990 adv in terms of vibrations felt through the bars/seat/footpegs?
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,736
Coming from a Super Tenere, my new 1190R is noticeably smoother. I find it to be silky smooth up to about 6500 RPM.
The only issue I've had with mine was a front wheel that was delivered out of balance. It was really bad and unbearable. Are you sure thats not the issue? Mine took 1 oz of weights on it to make it perfect. It was only noticeable on the freeway above 70 MPH.

As mentioned above, damped bar mounts or other options will only improve the harmonics in the bars.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have just under 6k km's on my '14 adv r and yeah, it does have some irritating vibes at around 6k rpm. They are not bad, but my right hand starts to go a bit numb sometimes. I put grip puppies on, but the jury is still out on if I like them or not (well...I dont like them, but I am giving them a go to see if they make things better and I get used to them!). I had a Tiger 800XC before this and it made my hands numb as well at times...as did my tiger 1050 before that so i am starting to think it may be a symtom of age rather than the bike!

Ultimately, yes the bike has some vibes. they are not bad, and certainly not a deal breaker for me...this is one of, if not the, best bikes I have ever owned.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote