Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #91
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Grandfather was an orphan in the great depression, rode a Indian all year round in Buffalo , NY because that was all he could afford when he was young. Met my grandmother on it and he kept it and rode as he built his family and a succesful construction company. Had 3 son's, of my dad and his 2 brothers, my dad and youngest brother rode bikes their whole lives, middle brother was into snowmobiles.

As a pup, I'd always be climbing over one of my dad's bike's, mom was not thrilled but knew it was inevitable for me, started riding in 2nd grade and have ridden every year since. My younger brother never got into them, he likes his muscle cars.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #92
FLX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
My grandparents got me into bikes. In east germany cars were somewhat of a luxury and they did not own one so when i stayed with them over the summer they gave me rides on the back of either their mz or old bmw thumper and later showed me how to ride.
when i was done with school and had a half year off i had enough money to either buy a used motorbike and go somewhere or buy a crappy car.
i oped for the motorbike and rode to italy.
that was 10 years ago and i still don’t own a car. motorbikes are just hard to beat in fun or economic factor.
FLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #93
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Got fed up with NJ cruiser riders parading my main st. showing off massive new chrome. Was time to show them that the locals are not impressed.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #94
deutchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Another Honda Mini Trail 50

Almost identical to what many have shared. 1970, worked all Summer to buy a used 69 Honda 50 Mini Trail. 65 bikes, 45 years, broken wrists, broken collarbones, GNCC A class riding, I'm still hooked.
deutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #95
bikersmurff
n00b

Oddometer: 2
well sorry to say but I got into motorcycles buy stealing my first bike at 12 did not know how to ride and figured it out buy the time I rode it around the block >I did not get far and got caught .Never stole a thing since, any way was hooked so became a motorcycle mechanic for Kawasaki race team and then Ducati now retired I restore bikes for select clients and ride every chance I get .....Also found a wife that loves to ride as much as me...She rides what ever is in the garage at the time
bikersmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #96
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I've always wanted a motorcycle. Parents were adamant about NOT getting me a bike. I rode bicycles as a kid, as many kids do.

When I was almost 15, my family moved to Oklahoma to be closer to family. For a few months, we lived in a friend's vacant house, and in the garage of that vacant house there was a 1979 or 1980 Honda XL125. Once again, dear old dad said NO, don't ride it, even if the owner of the bike comes out and asks if you want to ride it, say NO.

Well, being 15, the next time Steve came out, and asked if I wanted to ride the old Honda, I said SURE. Never had even sat on a motorcycle before. I dropped the clutch from about half throttle and had to go pick the bike up. I let it out reeeaaalll slow after that. Rode it all over the property and had the time of my life. It was as fun as I knew it would be. For the next few years I was insufferable about wanting a dirt bike. I got a big tax return at age 19, and ran out to buy an old 1986 Honda XL250R. It was even MORE fun. I rode every trail I could find. Wiped it out countless times. I eventually sold it to purchase a car. And I regretted it. As soon as I had money saved up, I bought a 1977 Husqvarna WR 250, that I still have.

A few years later, I bought my first streetbike - a Vulcan 750. Rode it home one chilly February afternoon. I was 22 or 23 I think. When I got home, mom rushed out of the house - Asked who's motorcycle that was. It was of course, mine. She asked, nearly with tears in her eyes, where she went wrong, when she could have known that one day, her son would come home with a motorcycle. Being the sometimes not-nice person I am, I told her - "When the doctor handed me to you and said 'It's a boy'". That's when you should have known.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #97
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
I've always wanted a motorcycle. Parents were adamant about NOT getting me a bike. I rode bicycles as a kid, as many kids do.

When I was almost 15, my family moved to Oklahoma to be closer to family. For a few months, we lived in a friend's vacant house, and in the garage of that vacant house there was a 1979 or 1980 Honda XL125. Once again, dear old dad said NO, don't ride it, even if the owner of the bike comes out and asks if you want to ride it, say NO.

Well, being 15, the next time Steve came out, and asked if I wanted to ride the old Honda, I said SURE. Never had even sat on a motorcycle before. I dropped the clutch from about half throttle and had to go pick the bike up. I let it out reeeaaalll slow after that. Rode it all over the property and had the time of my life. It was as fun as I knew it would be. For the next few years I was insufferable about wanting a dirt bike. I got a big tax return at age 19, and ran out to buy an old 1986 Honda XL250R. It was even MORE fun. I rode every trail I could find. Wiped it out countless times. I eventually sold it to purchase a car. And I regretted it. As soon as I had money saved up, I bought a 1977 Husqvarna WR 250, that I still have.

A few years later, I bought my first streetbike - a Vulcan 750. Rode it home one chilly February afternoon. I was 22 or 23 I think. When I got home, mom rushed out of the house - Asked who's motorcycle that was. It was of course, mine. She asked, nearly with tears in her eyes, where she went wrong, when she could have known that one day, her son would come home with a motorcycle. Being the sometimes not-nice person I am, I told her - "When the doctor handed me to you and said 'It's a boy'". That's when you should have known.
That is movie material.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #98
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
Grandfather was an orphan in the great depression, rode a Indian all year round in Buffalo , NY because that was all he could afford when he was young. Met my grandmother on it and he kept it and rode as he built his family and a succesful construction company. Had 3 son's, of my dad and his 2 brothers, my dad and youngest brother rode bikes their whole lives, middle brother was into snowmobiles.

As a pup, I'd always be climbing over one of my dad's bike's, mom was not thrilled but knew it was inevitable for me, started riding in 2nd grade and have ridden every year since. My younger brother never got into them, he likes his muscle cars.
And you still have the Indian?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #99
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
My parents absolutely forbid me or my brother to even get on a motorcycle much less ride one ourselves despite growing up in the country. It was supposedly way too dangerous, guns on the other hand, no problem, go have fun, and so it was for 40 plus years .

A few years ago wife and I were at the remembrance party for a running club friend who died in a parasailing accident and I decided it was now or never. Told my wife the next day I was taking the MSF safety class over the Labor Day holiday weekend and buying myself a motorcycle.

Passed the class, got the endorsement on license and bought a Honda Shadow 750 with loud pipes and red flames on the tank from Craigslist and rode it for 2000 miles or so. Learned to hate those loud pipes and the cruiser riding position too so it got sold. Bought a Wee-Strom because my friend had one and it felt like a really big mountain bike with suspension and off road capability. He also said they were really reliable like the Honda so you don’t have to work on them much.

Now wife and I both ride our own Wee -Stroms.

Still haven't got around to mentioning anything about motorcycles to my parents yet.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #100
Allroads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
My father told me stories of riding H-D's in Europe after WWII trading guys his cigarette rations for gas. My mother wouldn't allow me to get a bike as a kid despite my huge jones for dirt bikes in the early 70's. The downside of having a family full of doctors. Instead, I rode bicycles for years both on and off road. Fast forward about 30 more years with jobs, marriage, and kids thrown in. I finally scratched the itch at 50. Riding a Tiger these days.
Allroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #101
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
My best friend's dad introduced me to riding when I was about 13 or so. He bought his two sons bikes, a Honda 50 for his youngest and a Kawasaki 90 for my buddy. He also had an old Honda SL70 that he taught me to ride. We rode constantly all summer and as we all grew bigger, so did the bikes. On to 125's and a Kawasaki F7 175 that I thrashed mercilessly.

I think my own father finally felt sorry for my friend's dad and went out and bought me a brand new '77 Yamaha DT175, which I still have to this day.

When my friend's dad passed away many years ago I made a promise to myself that I would pay it forward and teach my son's friends and others to ride and I do so to this day.

Mr. Bradburn's time, patience and encouragement to ride set me on a path that forever changed my life for the better in innumerable ways.
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #102
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,423
I got bored of riding a pushbike 5 miles each way to and from work :-) a guy at work had a Suzuki ap50 twist and go scooter so I bought that, somehow ended with a ducati st4s and a tdm 850! Not that I'm complaining in the slightest Kind if come full circle now tho as I now cycle further than I ever did going to and from work!

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #103
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
We were on vacation in Florida. Dad didn't ride but I bugged him till he broke down and rented a trail 70 on Daytona Beach and let me steer, that was the late 70's. He still doesn't ride but it's all his fault. Thanks Dad for 35 years of rocks, ruts, and rooster tails.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #104
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 562
My parents forbid it. They said they would not help with school if I bought one. So when I was in college (1980) I waited until they went on a two week vacation and when they came home there was a '75 KZ400 (the blue one) in the garage. Their bluff was called. Unfortunately the bike was lost to a left turn by a Pontiac station wagon. I got 4 stitches. I swore I'd never ride again. Two weeks later my roommate put me on his new Kawi SR650 and I was hooked again. I bought my next bike, a '76 KH400 retired race bike for $600...$300 down, three weeks to make her street legal again, and $300 on delivery. That puppy was a screamer and I wish I still had it, and to this day I can pick out the sound of Kawi triple from blocks away.
DaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #105
SuperdaveOsborn
Frustrated Slacker

Oddometer: 4
My truck broke down and I could not afford the new engine. (ah, the Chevy Luv, the Vega of trucks)

My dad had a bike in the garage he was not using. I needed to get to work, so I got it running. Two years later I got a job, bought myself a new car and sold the bike. (gave my dad the $250 I got for it)

Five minutes later, I missed the bike. That's when I knew I was hooked.

As soon as I could afford it, I got myself another bike.
SuperdaveOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote