Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #16
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD
I had a plugged tire on my pickup explode. Probably because of loss of pressure while I was driving. It happened about 20 miles after I left the shop.
Funny you didn't notice noise or weird handling before failure.

Quote:
For autos; no good tire shop will plug a tire. Automobile tire manufacturers definitely recommend against it.

After plugging a tire, the GS manual recommends a reduced maximum speed (pretty slow) and tire replacement.
I would cynically attribute such overcaution to the usual liability concerns. Mainly stemming from the fact that stupid people will not notice slow loss of pressue from a failed/failing plug and will drive on it until somehing bad happens.

Never had a problem with a patched/plugged car tire. Used a sticky string plug when I picked up a 3" drywall screw in 1000-mile-new rear Tourance. It will occasionally bleed down slowly over several days so I have got in the habit of checking pressures more often (probably as I should always be doing anyway). Changed the plug out for a newer one (original was a bit old/dry when installed) which helped. No safety worries and no probems encountered during the subsequent 6,000 miles, including some rough gravel. Expect another ~5000 miles from the tire and plan to ride on it until it is worn out.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #17
gfspencer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
really? do it all the time up here... worked in a tyre shop as a student. we did patches all the time. just had one done on my jetta a couple months ago when i picked up a nail. $30 cdn including taking the wheel off my car.
I had a screw in an almost new (less than 500 miles) tire. I took it to four motorcycle shops in the area. No shop would touch it. Maybe the just wanted to sell a new tire.
gfspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #18
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
Funny you didn't notice noise or weird handling before failure.

I would cynically attribute such overcaution to the usual liability concerns. Mainly stemming from the fact that stupid people will not notice slow loss of pressue from a failed/failing plug and will drive on it until somehing bad happens.
It was a worn-out and overloaded with camping gear International Scout. It was noisy and handled wierd before the bad tire. I would expect that a low pressure tire would be easier to detect on a bike. I've never tried it. How low can you let the pressure get before a motorcycle handles noticable different?

Certainly your cynicism is not misplaced.
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #19
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD
How low can you let the pressure get before a motorcycle handles noticable different?
Some people claim they can tell the difference with just a couple of psi. I am not sufficiently attuned to achieve such a nirvanic state of one-ness with my bike that I would notice. However, I can tell immediately if one of our training bikes has a low tire (lost 10 psi or more). Several times I have had a "Hmmm... something's not quite right" feeling and subsequently found that a tire was 5-7 psi low. Front tire at that small loss is only noticeable during cornering, rear tire will feel 'funny' on the straights too, slightly vague perhaps. I am getting better at determining what is wrong.

Twice, I have had a rear tire blowout on a tube-tire. Both times it was quite a challenge getting safely to a stop with the bike upright. With a tubed tire this should be far less of an issue unless you are so insensitive you don't notice until the last minute.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #20
Dances With Roads
mild observations

Oddometer: 4,480
Good replies on this thread.

The 880 has steel in it which means the ends that are cut in the belt are like a cable that has been cut. Nasty and VERY abrasive. Do not trust the plug.

Taking the tire off is a bitch, but if you are willin, a regular old vulcanizing patch properly applied will last you the life of the tread - especially since the breach is so small. Trust, but verify with frequent checks. (At least two a day while riding)

Do not trust the plug.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #21
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Roads
The 880 has steel in it which means the ends that are cut in the belt are like a cable that has been cut. Nasty and VERY abrasive. Do not trust the plug.

Taking the tire off is a bitch, but if you are willin, a regular old vulcanizing patch properly applied will last you the life of the tread - especially since the breach is so small. Trust, but verify with frequent checks. (At least two a day while riding).
Several people have reported that the damaged ends of steel belts will cut a rubber plug. I could hear and feel the ends rasping against the repair tools but the string plug I pulled out to replace was undamaged after about 3,500 miles.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 AM   #22
Dark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Thanks for the info, it seems to be holding fine. No loss of pressure in a couple of days and about 100 miles.
I do change my own tires so I will put a patch on the inside before it sees too many more miles.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #23
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Thanks for the info, it seems to be holding fine. No loss of pressure in a couple of days and about 100 miles.
I do change my own tires so I will put a patch on the inside before it sees too many more miles.
Ok please post additional details - I have a similiar concern, (new tire with a plugNgo) what type of patch are you going to put on the inside, the umbrella plug HarveyM mentioned? a vulcanized patch? something else?

What exactly is this umbrella plug ? does it go on from the inside out (the opposite of the 'mushroom' plugNgo kit?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Ok please post additional details - I have a similiar concern, (new tire with a plugNgo) what type of patch are you going to put on the inside, the umbrella plug HarveyM mentioned? a vulcanized patch? something else?

What exactly is this umbrella plug ? does it go on from the inside out (the opposite of the 'mushroom' plugNgo kit?
Hi Ed,

I used a Stop $ Go plug on my ME Z4 on my RS, it lasted about as long as the BMW plug, 60 miles. Both appeared to be cut by the steel belts. I used string plugs after that with good results. 9K miles till replacement.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #25
Dark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap

Shit, I didn't know there were so many plugs & patches. It has a rope plug in now. I figured I would stop by an auto parts store pick up a peel & stick patch. Take the tire off, trim the plug on the inside, clean the area, put the patch on & remount the tire. Too simplistic???
I won't ride this week since I'm out on a business trip. I'll try to do it Fri or Sat night. I'm sure I'll take a few pics & post.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Shit, I didn't know there were so many plugs & patches. It has a rope plug in now. I figured I would stop by an auto parts store pick up a peel & stick patch. Take the tire off, trim the plug on the inside, clean the area, put the patch on & remount the tire. Too simplistic???
I won't ride this week since I'm out on a business trip. I'll try to do it Fri or Sat night. I'm sure I'll take a few pics & post.
I'd be very surprised if a peal and stick patch works. You might get by with a vulcanized patch, but an old fashioned heat patch would probably work best.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #27
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Hi Ed,

I used a Stop $ Go plug on my ME Z4 on my RS, it lasted about as long as the BMW plug, 60 miles. Both appeared to be cut by the steel belts. I used string plugs after that with good results. 9K miles till replacement.

Jim
Hey JVB I've had this StopNGo plug in there all summer but the tire just started loosing pressure this weekend - been riding two up hauling family members all around. So today I put a can of flat fix in there and could see moisture around the plug after about 60 miles.

This tire is too new and cost me a premium for an 'on the road' fix last May.

So I figure I'll pop the plug and put a string in there. I like DARK'S idea of triming the string plug on the inside and putting a patch on there too. I want this tire to at least get me to Shelbyville and back next month.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #28
funkydrum
Started 2-Smoking Again..

Oddometer: 373
How Ironic !!

Wow... I was going to start a thread on this given the nail I found in my tire tonight !!

I'm from a dirt background and am used to repairs with tubes which makes this tubeless thing is new to me.

Sounds like the majority is saying plug it and ride it. My puncture is in the groove which makes me a little happier with a plug. I am a little anxious about a rapid deflation but sounds like this is remote at best, right ?? My main concern is safety but sounds like a slow leak is probably my worst enemy.

I am planning a ride round-trip from Indianapolis to NYC in October (1400 miles). Does that change anyone's opinions about plug vs. replace ???
Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #29
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,219
stop-n-go plugs are for temporary use, and I put the goopy worms in that category too.
Vulcanized patches are the way to go for long term use. Most bike shops won't plug, or patch a tire, but if you do it yourself, or take it to an auto tire store they'll usually patch it for you.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 AM   #30
T Rex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Cool2 Why loose any sleep?

If you as anal as you say about Loved One's on the back, Then go buy a new tire. $150.00 or so is a small price to pay for a sense of well being. I picked up a nail last fall in a near new Tourance and noticed a loss of pressure after the plug was in. Solution, new tire, and peace of mind.
Oh yea, What is the cheapest thing on most bikes? The rider!
FWIW