Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #31
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
That's good advice TRex. If you have any doubt whatsoever about any tire, toss it an put on a new one.

I have four (rope) plugs in my rear Tourance on my oilhead right now. As a matter of fact, I put in *another* plug just two hours and a 100 miles ago outside Cullman, AL. Damned nails. That's four plugs in less than a month.

The sucky thing is while plugging the tire and huffing away with a Mt. Bike pump (lost count at 240+ strokes) I noticed my paralever/rear drive bearing had play in it.

I guess I'll be doing the rear drive dance tonight While I'm at it, I might as well change the rear tire since the inside of the damned thing is probably looking like the enchanted forest now with all those plugs dangling around in there.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #32
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
I ended up with six plugs by the end of the day. All the holes were small ones, all in between the tread blocks except one which was a nail. It got me home.

Tossed that Tourance and put on a set of Dunlops since I changed rear drive, and the paralever and swingarm bearings last night.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #33
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,245
Just my own experience here, but at 4000 miles i used a mushroom-style plug on my tourance. Rode to Mexico and back, then rode to Reno, tire never leaked once. I've never heared of a catastrophic failure from a plugged mc. tire, only loss of air. I'd say ride it and be prepared to fix it!
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:40 AM   #34
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Hey JVB I've had this StopNGo plug in there all summer but the tire just started loosing pressure this weekend - been riding two up hauling family members all around. So today I put a can of flat fix in there and could see moisture around the plug after about 60 miles.

This tire is too new and cost me a premium for an 'on the road' fix last May.

So I figure I'll pop the plug and put a string in there. I like DARK'S idea of triming the string plug on the inside and putting a patch on there too. I want this tire to at least get me to Shelbyville and back next month.
Here's the S'nG plug about a week after putting n the 'flatfix juice'

I run my tires pressure hard at 41psi, this one is down to about 32psi after a a day or so...

I'll prolly check with a friend at a gas station to see if he'll patch in from the inside, other wise I put string plug in there.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
After adding Fix-a-flat to your tire, I would be surprised if your friend would want to patch it. I'm not even sure a rope plug will work now.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 AM   #36
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
After adding Fix-a-flat to your tire, I would be surprised if your friend would want to patch it. I'm not even sure a rope plug will work now.

Jim
please enlighten me on thos two issues - I know there's some goopie stuff in there, but what problems would that cause- especially for the rope plug?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
Old 09-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #37
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Jim
Actually - I just spoke to my friend and he says he's only set up for removal and balancing of cars tires, but he'll try a patch if I clean the tire and bring it in. He thinks a good soap and water will get most of the gunk out... How's the availability of your tire machine? I bet your curious as to how the inside of my tire looks, right?

eap screwed with this post 09-09-2005 at 05:47 AM
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #38
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I ended up with six plugs by the end of the day. All the holes were small ones, all in between the tread blocks except one which was a nail. It got me home.

Does your daily commute pass through a residential construction area?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #39
PopsicleMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Eek

Plug a motorcycle tire ?

Your all crazy ....

Not that I am the plugging expert of all time, but I have spent a many a teenage year fixing tires in a tire shop. So, plugs are a temporary fix for CAR tires. You know, to get ya home. The correct fix is a patch, that goes on the inside of the tire, that will last the life of the tire. Both of these are designed for car tires, that have a completely different structure to them, namely a big flat wide tread, with steel belted carcass. Motorcycle tires do NOT. You can't patch nor plug a car tire safely if it is too near the sidewall because there is too much flex in the tire as it spins. A motorcycle not only is made of kevlar, aramid, and nylon that flex but also the entire surface of the tire is curved.

So that said, I carry a plug kit, on my bike (R1150GS) and would not hesitate to use it if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere. I would then ride to the nearest place I could get a new tire. My saftey is worth more than a $100 tire !!

my 2 cents....
PopsicleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #40
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel
Plug a motorcycle tire ?

Your all crazy ....

Not that I am the plugging expert of all time, but I have spent a many a teenage year fixing tires in a tire shop. So, plugs are a temporary fix for CAR tires. You know, to get ya home. The correct fix is a patch, that goes on the inside of the tire, that will last the life of the tire. Both of these are designed for car tires, that have a completely different structure to them, namely a big flat wide tread, with steel belted carcass. Motorcycle tires do NOT. You can't patch nor plug a car tire safely if it is too near the sidewall because there is too much flex in the tire as it spins. A motorcycle not only is made of kevlar, aramid, and nylon that flex but also the entire surface of the tire is curved.

So that said, I carry a plug kit, on my bike (R1150GS) and would not hesitate to use it if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere. I would then ride to the nearest place I could get a new tire. My saftey is worth more than a $100 tire !!

my 2 cents....
Got any documented cases of blow-outs (leaks don't scare me) caused by tire plugs?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #41
PopsicleMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
No ,I don't and I would expect the plugging of a tire would cause the tire to fail in itself. I would rather expect the tire to leak, slowly or suddenly. The loss of pressure while riding 80 mph down the freeway causes the tire to over heat which then causes tire failure. From your riders manual ......

The primary cause of tire failure is riding with under-inflated tires. Always check your owner's manual for the proper amount of air pressure and check both tires regularly before you ride. This is particularly critical if you haven't ridden the motorcycle for an extended period of time. Over the winter months or other long storage periods, tires can lose as much as 50% of their air pressure. Buy a good air gauge.

PopsicleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #42
Dark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Although the tire was holding pressure I went ahead and trimmed the plug on the inside the applied a patch. I'll remount the tire, balance it again & put the wheel back on tomorrow. As I always do, I'll watch the pressure & look for any indication I can't continue to run the tire.
Thanks all for the info
Dark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #43
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
oh my oh my oh my

folks,,,,,may i shine a little light on this thread....promise ya pics by tomorrow,,,

most all the posts had a piece of the puzzle regarding tubeless tires with punctures,,and the rampant bs surrounding their repair

so here goes.....some info gleaned from my 32 years practicing the 'art of tire repair'

1... we are in america,,, the most litiguous society on the planet,with a penchant for making others pay for their mistakes and just as often make them pay for our own dumb mistakes if we can pass the buck,,,and juries passing out incongruous awards,,,on the of the wall chance that they too might be the beneficiaries down the road,,,you get the drift,,,,so anyone dealing with product liabilty and the performance of work that has the slimmest chance of creating a sueable comeback will err on the side that covers his ass the bestest...hence...nail in tire automatically gets you a 'GET A NEW TIRE RESPONSE!!!! at most mc dealerships,,and they use all the concomittant arguments to cover their case,,,not to mention making a few extra $$$ on the deal,,,,soooo

2...believe it or not there are alternatives THAT WORK,,,some better than others and some superior ....string plugs and tire sealant goops are quick and dirty effective means of TEMPORARILY getting your buns on the road again with a minimum of hassle,,all the work can be done swiftly and without the need to remove your tire.....you will want to reduce your speed to a sane pace and remove that fix aflat and/or string plug at your earliest convenience for the installation of a superior reliable plugging device called a T-patch

if you have fix aflat /tire sealant goop in there please: TELL THE MECHANIC YOU"VE GOT THAT S___ IN THERE.....it's the nastiest of surprises and we charge $60 and hour to clean up the mess to said offenders....

3... the T-patch is a plug and patch in one ...first you clean the hole thru the tire like you would for a plug,,,,then you clean the inside of the tire and buff it smooth and prep it like you would patch for a tube,,, followed by cleaning the area with tire buff liquid ..letting it dry applying the cement to the cleaned area in your tire....you apply a little more cement to the plug part of the T-patch,,insert the wire thru you hole pull it thru,,,,use your patch roller on the patch and in conclusion slice the plug off even with the thread....net result: a RELIABLE plug n patch that WORKS,,,,

i have tested this on the race track and logged thousands of miles on repaired tires...hundreds of satisfied customers will atest to worry free miles burning up their supposedly""JUNK"" tires,,,,FYI you folks with tight pocket books should follow the lead of some of my more frugal customers,,,they come rolling in with like new tires with a screw or nail in them for a t-patch repair,,,,they scrounge the dumpsters of the ''we don't patch/fix tires''dealerships.!!!!!...now why didn't i think of that?????

ps...for all you folks with tubes,,,,we DO NOT patch tubes ,,,at $6-12 for a new tube it is not cost effective,,,save for you getting your buns out of trouble and back on the road to the next place to install a new tube and AND get an appropriate sized T_patch to plug for the hole in your tire,,,WHY????? because the little hole in the casement of your tire ends up wearing a hole in your tube and you'll end up with a BLOWOUT or luckily just a flat...your tube will chaffe at the puncture point...the T-patch creates a nice surface that your tube likes alot,,,by the way a regular patch suffers the same fate as the tube,,,the air pressure inside wants to push the patch out of the hole,,,the tire carcass flexes and eventually coild fail were the hole is,,,,hence we plug that hole and cover it with a patch...

pps...(i know,,,, i know that lot's of you just keep on keepin on as if there were no plug/tire jism in there,,,glad you're still here,,,IMHO if you continue on this flight path you are cannon fodder for some upcoming darwin awards list ),,,,,now i can go get some rest ,,knowing i told ya so,,,

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-28-2005 at 08:15 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:46 AM   #44
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
i only have one small thing to add.
whenever i plug a tire, I put a large glob of rubber cement on the hole before i insert the rope plug. (I don't remember seeing any rubber cement or other type of monkey snot in the pics.)

then, i coat the rope plug with lots of it also before i insert it.

helps it go in easier, and helps it bond and stay in place.

also, i never trim off hte outside all the way to the surface of the tire. I leave about a 0.5 - 1.0 inches of it and then air it up and drive it immediately.
that heats up the plug to bond it to the hole and also the little bit on the outside kinda "melds" with the outside of hte tire.

just my $0.02. hope it helps.

Personally, i'm no expert, but i'll plug a back moto tire once or twice and if it holds well, i'll live with it awhile.
For myself, a front tire is more of a big deal. For fronts, plugs are bandaids while i order a new tire.
datchew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #45
machman
means well

Oddometer: 1,212
I plugged a tire in my 93 ZX-7 when I was a broke student. I put another 5000 kms on that tire with no trouble, much of that was at over 200 km/hr and some of it over 250.

...was I nervous for the first bit? YES! Did I need to be? Well, let's just say that I didn't ride fast for about 100kms, but after I was sure it would hold around town I opened it up and felt good after that.

If I was in your shoes, I'd plug it, test it, and then go for it.
machman is offline   Reply With Quote