User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
zvez OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Highway 7 in Arkansas

So, I posted in another thread about a trip that's going to head to the MS delta around Clarksdale with some riding in AR(total 5 day trip). From the suggestions of AR riders we really need to head up to the ozarks.

Be a group of maybe 6 riders on sport touring bikes (mostly ducati mts). We want strictly paved roads with good surface. Also we like to ride at a brisk pace

So my thought is to ride to Clarksdale, then over to Hot Springs and take hwy 7 north up maybe to Harrison. My concern, Hwy 7 is listed as a scenic byway? What's the speed limit, is it heavily policed?

Working off hwy 7 are their other roads off of that, we're not really tied to a specific route, we're just wanting to get back to Clarksdale on Saturday to hit the blues clubs.

Thanks guys!
Chris
PS>I've gotten a lot of route suggestion maps from AR tourism as well.

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
zvez OP
Adventurer

Here's a pic of the map which has routes from ark tourism for mc riding.

Any suggestions, tips etc appreciated!
Chris

13 Dookahti mts GT
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,895
7 is good. Once you are in Harrison, continue north on 65 to Branson, stay a day or two there..go east on 76 to hwy 25 south..ride the free ferry across the lake and continue back to Harrison to pick up hwy 7 agn and back to where y'all started.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 349
Hard to go wrong with N.W. Ar. Been riding down there for many years, here are some of my favorites in no particular order.

341 (push mtn. rd.)
74 S. from Jasper to 123 S.
16 E. from 7
23 S. from Eureka Springs
125 between Sparta, Mo. and Yellville, Ar.
14 between Yellville and Mountain View

There are more, but that will get you started.

Have fun and good luck.
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,459
A Texan visitors view....

I may be from Texas but I think dch has the good stuff listed. You can almost forget about a lot of AR7 (especially down south). Lots of traffic on that road too. A little shorty is AR215 from Oark west to AR23 where you can pick up the best part of 23 to the north. Oark store has good eatin too.(+PIES!) Just north of Clarksville AR...take 103 to get there.

Be sure to get yourself a Butler Ozarks map for the best roads in AR & MO
THERE ARE TONS OF EM

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
You never been to the ozarks? So much....

Hwy 7 out of Hot Springs to Ola... since your are close... I suggest going left on Hwy 10 to Havana. Then get on hwy 309 over Mt Magazine if you've nevere been there. Fyi...Great Buffet at the lodge. Hwy 309 on into Paris.

From there... so many options... but if stickin close to Hwy 7 is desired, I say work your way over to base of Hwy 123 at Hagarsville. Take Awesome. Hwy 123 all the way to Mt Judea. Really really good. Tons of good roads in that area... but you can take hwy 74 from Judea to get you back to hwy 7 and then north into Harrison if thats the desired destination.

Lots of fantastice roads and very good scenery.... you MUST ride upper hwy 123 into mt Judea... one of my favorites!!

ArkieRider screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 06:03 AM
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
zvez OP
Adventurer

Gosh guys thanks so much for all the great suggestions. So many roads, so little time. A couple of us road 23 and some other roads coming back from the MO bmw rally a couple years ago. Fantastic.

13 Dookahti mts GT
Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
john3500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Roads

The run from Mountain view W via 9 to 16 all the way to 23 is a Ducati Dream (a nice morning run without police but be careful of blind corners) , 341 was not mentioned on your map list but is now patrolled f to sunday. 215 and 21 near Clarksville are nice. Hard to find a bad road in NW Arkansas. The top or South part of 123 is the best curves for Duck's high speed cornering, but, I have seen deer there at all times of the day. Clarksville is a great place to start.

john3500 screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 07:19 AM
john3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Agree with the above on great hwy 103 out of clarksville to Oark....for some good food....need a Tenere to hit some nice dirt from there..... but that gets you a ways off hwy 7 as you had stated... you would really like hwy 123 up from Hagarville to mt Judea... good road, fast sweepers etc... cant go wrong with any of them.

Then you'll have to come another time and hit hwy 16 ....and get over into the area around Mtn View....hwy 9 to Melbourne, Push Mtn Road... all fantastic....man....I gotta get out and ride!!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
zvez OP
Adventurer

Looking at routing with some of the suggestions you guys listed. We might head up from Clarksdale/Helena working our way up to Mtn View/Mtn Home/Yellville adn do some of those roads and then work our way over to Harrison and back to C'dale some way.

13 Dookahti mts GT
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

So push mtn aka 341 is being patroled alot? I hadn't heard. What a waste of taxpayer $$ imo for cops to be out there just to catch those pushing the limits a bit.....There Is little to nothing out there...very few side roads etc .. which Is what makes it so great. Go somewhere to catch the real lawbreakers or at least catch the speeders that are actually a danger to others in populated areas...not just themselves on an isolated road..
Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

If Hot springs isnt required... yea.. you could head up thru Batesville and get into the good stuff on 14 to mtn view.

Or go from batesville down to greers ferry and jump on hwy 16 which will kick your butt all the way to Fayetteville if you wanted.... actually all the way to Siloam Springs and Oklahoma...

More options than you can possibly cover in a short time for sure...
Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 349
This is a go pro vid of 123 S. from Mt. Judea to 16 just to give you a taste of what the roads are like in the N.W. Ar. area. Very rural, not much traffic, little if any police presence, just slow down thru towns. This is kind of long, and I'm no Valintino Rossi OK?

dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,949
Hey, I got one of those!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Hey, I got one of those!

Come on Albie!!! You gotta enjoy the scenery at least a little! Kept waiting for you to look to your right so we could get a glimpse of the awesome view at the top of the switchbacks and huggin the edge of the mountain....